Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"hardcore" mmorpg's

PorkNailsPorkNails Member UncommonPosts: 65

I will begin by saying that I played lineage 2 (since C4).

Since that game there hasn't been any other that made me feel so accomplished, either by leveling or simply how hard was to get things.

When is another game like this going to come up? 

Are we in need of a new genre of mmo? 

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    We're not in need of a new genre. The new genre is here and it's terrible. I'm just waiting for FFXIV: ARR at least that game will please my need for chocobo....

Yeah... sadly there is no PVP as we L2 players enjoy it there. :(

Other than that it is very well polished and fun to play imo.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by pedruzorro

The industry seems to be moving in the general direction of ARPGs.

Less demanding, I suppose. No expectation to "live" in them full-time.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Antiquated

Good. I don't have time to live in MMOs "full-time".

• MMORPGRIPMMORPGRIP Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Jesus...we know. You only state this in every single post...give it a rest already. We know you don't like MMORPG's....sheesh.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I will begin by saying that I played lineage 2 (since C4).Since that game there hasn't been any other that made me feel so accomplished, either by leveling or simply how hard was to get things.When is another game like this going to come up? Are we in need of a new genre of mmo?  

It will happen when the cost to produce an MMORPG isn't in the "ten million dollars or more" range.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by MMORPGRIP

Jesus...we know. You only state this in every single post...give it a rest already. We know you don't like MMORPG's....sheesh.

No more than people flogging the dead horse of "lack of sandbox", "no world pvp", "lack of perma-detah", "no crafting" ... and all those usual complaint.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

No more than people flogging the dead horse of "lack of sandbox", "no world pvp", "lack of perma-detah", "no crafting" ... and all those usual complaint.

There are plenty of games for your kind but almost no good ones for the others. I think we got the right to wish for something decent, only good one out there is EVE and that is a sci fi which doesn't fall into everyones taste. Luckily it seems some companies have figured this out since we see more sandbox elements and games being produced lately.

Originally posted by nariusseldon Originally posted by MMORPGRIP Originally posted by nariusseldon Originally posted by Antiquated Originally posted by pedruzorro Are we in need of a new genre of mmo?   
    The industry seems to be moving in the general direction of ARPGs. Less demanding, I suppose. No expectation to "live" in them full-time.
    Yeah, unfortunately the genre is catered to the part-time gamer, grats you all fucked the genre for people who actually like the games.

Those are the people that keep the genre going. The cost to produce an MMORPG has gone past the point where the non "part-time" gamers are capable of supporting it.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Yeah, unfortunately the genre is catered to the part-time gamer, grats you all fucked the genre for people who actually like the games.

Because there aren't enough people who "actually like the games" to pay the bills.  That's why they cater to the people they cater to.  Figure it out and stop living in a fantasy world.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by pedruzorro Are we in need of a new genre of mmo?   
    The industry seems to be moving in the general direction of ARPGs. Less demanding, I suppose. No expectation to "live" in them full-time.

Those are the people that keep the genre going. The cost to produce an MMORPG has gone past the point where the non "part-time" gamers are capable of supporting it.

Shhhhh, let's not confuse them with reality or anything...

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

Originally posted by pedruzorro Are we in need of a new genre of mmo?   

They don't have to cost so much, they just choose to to have the next big pretty game on the market. Games like Minecraft are highly popular, yet on par graphics-wise with Original Nintendo. Other things besides that, but not going to sit here and type it all out.

But these companies choose to sink millions and millions into them just trying to outdo one another and failing...miserably.

Okay lets get this straight.

It is expensive to develop a MMO that is supposed to compete with the other top titles on the market. Very expensive, but even then it is clearly possible to make games of a little less quality in some fields (graphic for example) with everything that some of us wants.

Originally posted by Kuro1n
    Okay lets get this straight.It is expensive to develop a MMO that is supposed to compete with the other top titles on the market. Very expensive, but even then it is clearly possible to make games of a little less quality in some fields (graphic for example) with everything that some of us wants.

That way lies Mortal Online.

It is clearly possible to write a game with decent graphics for not too much money. Several indie developers have written single player games with decent graphics. One of the big reasons that MMORPGs are so expensive is that there is very little, if any turn key middle ware that will run an MMORPG. The networking, chat servers, login servers, all that stuff has to be written, nearly from scratch. It's not a trivial task. That's what takes so long and that's what is so expensive. Then you add to it the graphics, animations, and general game play and you end up with a ridiculously expensive project.

It is expensive to develop a MMO that is supposed to compete with the other top titles on the market. Very expensive, but even then it is clearly possible to make games of a little less quality in some fields (graphic for example) with everything that some of us wants.

lol I love your logic Money = Quality, That's a great joke!

I work with games, developing stuff costs money unless you have miracleworkers who put down hours without pay. If you wish to have artists that puts down lots of details into every model you need money to pay them and others since they wont have to produce as many items as if they go with a lower quality level. Not having enough money to properly develop means lesser quality / details. 

Less money essentially means you have less time per feature/model etc, or will have a world with a lot less features and models.

That way lies Mortal Online.

It is clearly possible to write a game with decent graphics for not too much money. Several indie developers have written single player games with decent graphics. One of the big reasons that MMORPGs are so expensive is that there is very little, if any turn key middle ware that will run an MMORPG. The networking, chat servers, login servers, all that stuff has to be written, nearly from scratch. It's not a trivial task. That's what takes so long and that's what is so expensive. Then you add to it the graphics, animations, and general game play and you end up with a ridiculously expensive project.

Actually you dont have to write all that stuff, it depends on what engine and all that you use though. MMOs needs to be optimized a lot more than singleplayer games though, thats one of the reasons you need to be extremely careful when making a MMO. For example there is MuchDifferent if you are using Unity for the lobby and all that.

• kedarakedara Member UncommonPosts: 72

I would love to see a truly sophisticated game get released, but I would hate another needlessly complicated craft-to-win game. If the only skill involved is putting the correctly colored blue circle into the proper slot and right clicking to get a menu for EVERYTHING is your only navigational option, then there is no point in playing. The key to a good MMORPG is skill based gameplay that can achieve the same goals with skilled players that it would with long-winded crafters.

I could care less how "hardcore" you might assume hours of gameplay makes it, if there is no skill involved and all you are doing is grinding for levels then it is by definition NOT A GAME. Don't push your job onto the gamer community, we already have our own jobs and we don't need to come home to yours.

• PorkNailsPorkNails Member UncommonPosts: 65

by "hardcore" i mean everyone that enjoys having to put time and effort in making a character that is strong and we can relate to. Being afk 8h a day doesn't make you a hardcore gamer.

This topic is mostly for players with that mindset, casuals already have their mmo's, where you pay 50€ and you fly through all the content in 1 month (notice that before, in times that are now myth, we payed 13€ for the same).

And people still had jobs, most of them ;)

Instant reward seems to be the likes of all games now.. but dont forget that instant reward will feel good only for a instant.

How good did it felt to get Sword of Miracles (either by drop or craft) ?

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Lol talk about fantasy land. The parttime gamers are not keeping the MMORPG genre afloat. What's happened is that in the need for greed they have created too many cheap clone MMORPGs that can't support subs.

Even parttime gamers aren't supporting them. Its the cash shop junky players keeping the MMORPGs afloat.

This is what happens when games are too casual, similar, easy, pointless and numerous too support solid communities that will stick with a game. But hey if you think the parttime gamer that bounces around the the different waterholes of MMORPG are more than extras in a movie go ahead and do so.

There are plenty of games for your kind but almost no good ones for the others. I think we got the right to wish for something decent, only good one out there is EVE and that is a sci fi which doesn't fall into everyones taste. Luckily it seems some companies have figured this out since we see more sandbox elements and games being produced lately.

No one dispute your right to wish. I only dispute you should have the only right to air your opinion in a forum.

Your preference is not better .. it is just different.

And whining about the market don't go your way .. .how does is that working out so far?

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    FFXIV is awful. There is NOTHING new or different about it. It is a horrible rehash set in the FF world. The combat is ancient

No one dispute your right to wish. I only dispute you should have the only right to air your opinion in a forum.

Your preference is not better .. it is just different.

And whining about the market don't go your way .. .how does is that working out so far?

Like your telling these people how it is through your eyes and what to accept and them doing so? How is that working out so far?