Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lots of gamers make sick sarcastic jokes, but one guy is facing 8 years for his comment

Comments

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by wolffin

this one says facebook dunno http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/teenager-justin-carter-facebook-comment-jail_n_3512025.html

From the Wikipedia entry:

The Huffington Post (sometimes abbreviated Huff Post or HuffPo) is an online news aggregator and blog founded by Arianna Huffington, Kenneth Lerer, Andrew Breitbart,[2][3] and Jonah Peretti, featuring columnists.[4] The site offers news, blogs, and original content and covers politics, business, entertainment, environment, technology, popular media, lifestyle, culture, comedy, healthy living, women's interests, and local news.

The Huffington Post was launched on May 9, 2005 as a liberal/left commentary outlet and alternative to news aggregators such as the Drudge Report.[5][6][7][8] On February 7, 2011, AOL acquired the mass market[9] Huffington Post for US$315 million, making Arianna Huffington editor-in-chief of The Huffington Post Media Group.[10][11] In 2012, The Huffington Post became the first commercially run, United States digital media enterprise to win a Pulitzer Prize.[12]

In July 2012, The Huffington Post was ranked #1 on the 15 Most Popular Political Sites list by eBizMBA Rank, which bases its list on each site's Alexa Global Traffic Rank and U.S. Traffic Rank from both Compete and Quantcast.[13]

So as I said before no mainstream reporting.  Also no comments from the Public Prosecutor, Sheriffs Office independent witnesses etc. 

No credibility in this report at all.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

Texas teenager who has been in jail since March faces an eight-year prison sentence because of a threatening joke he made while playing an online video game.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/27/texas-teen-makes-violent-joke-during-video-game-is-jailed-for-months/

On one hand it's nice to see internet jackholes getting punished for sounding off on the internet without thought of consequence...but on the other...waaaaay too harsh.  Scare the shit out of him sure, but don't ruin his life.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

First you complain about school shootings happening. Now you're arresting people for saying things. Then there's an uproar when you theoretically PREVENT a school shooting.

You know the difference between America and civilized countries? You want to know why the police arrested someone? We don't fucking sells guns everywhere that's why.

Having said that I am going to conclude that your country is in rapid decline due to a lack of interest in science and knowledge. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Freedom of speech is all well in good, but people should be more concscientious of the stupid shit they say on the interwebs..

Hopefully he doesn't do any time and learns enough from this, but I can see it going either way really.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

There is absolutely nothing about this that doesn't scream hoax.

Folks, this isn't real. 

• wolffinwolffin Member UncommonPosts: 193

local station cbs news http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/austin-dad-says-terroristic-threat-joke-9530.shtml If you look for mainstream media to be posting relevant real news you have had your head in the sand for last 5 years

• WulfkindWulfkind Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Also, they mentioned a July 1 court date. There are no public documents with Justin Carter's name on them for the first of July. This is abnormal.
  • RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Here's the giveaway that this is almost certainly fake:

"But a Canadian woman who saw the post looked up Carter’s Austin address..."

That's a quote from the source story.   So, someone hop on LoL real quick, and the first person who says something in a game, look up their address for me, based on their League of Legends in-game name.   Because that's possible, right? 

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by RollieJoe

Folks, this isn't real. 

im thinking the same thing.8 years for talking? come on..

People have threatened to kill others all the time and never been thrown in jail for it.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

Texas teenager who has been in jail since March faces an eight-year prison sentence because of a threatening joke he made while playing an online video game.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/27/texas-teen-makes-violent-joke-during-video-game-is-jailed-for-months/

Let me se if I understand this right:

Putting a limit to what size the clips of your assault rifles can have is an intollerable infringement on your personal freedom, while putting teenagers behind bars for cracking a joke on the internet is perfectly acceptable.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    No wonder when we know that you can't join police or fbi if you have IQ over 80. They do not understand this sarcastic words
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Wulfkind
    Originally posted by craftseeker

I mean if it is true and not a hoax why did the Police in Austin Texas lock him up?

I think you may have missed the overall point, people here are not claiming that it was a hoax as to what was said on facebook/LoL, my claim at least, is that the whole story is a hoax. Other than the UK's daily mail (which seems to have just syndicated the story) there is no mainstream outlet that has picked up the story and we're 4 months on from the supposed 'arrest'

I have to concur with this assessment. The UK covering an American story, about a Texas (out of all places...that cliche alone) teen, playing a video game who was ratted out by a Canadian? And arrested for 4 months already? No other behavior patterns mentioned either? Or American media outlets covering it.

And what a mom to be able to take a user name of an American (supposedly) gamer, track down his parents' real name and address (cause I'm sure he doesn't own the house), locate a school nearby and contact the American authorities with something as flimsy as a online transcript from a video game to make a move. All the while being a Canadian citizen? I dunno, she must be a super hacker to get all that done AND convince both Riot Games and the Texas authorities to get this teen.

Hell if all it took was foreigners to rat out another countries citizens, why would there be a need to fire even a single bullet to win a war? Like I said...something's not adding up here.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Folks, this isn't real. 

It probably is ( fake ). The no mainstream news coverage is often the dead give away but it's an interesting topic that hits home for any internet user so no harm in discussing what they should do about this type of thing.

It's not like anything we ever talk about really changes anything anyway :P

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247

"He recently celebrated his 19th birthday behind bars."

19 birthdays since March? Jail is the best place ever!

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    the same people who think this is real are the same who will bitch out new players for not googling their ingame questions first.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    No wonder when we know that you can't join police or fbi if you have IQ over 80. They do not understand this sarcastic words

Okay, yeah, if this is fake, it's fake. But what if it wasn't? Look, I agree, locking the kid up for a couple of months and threatening a lengthy jail sentence is pretty harsh, but as others have said, at least the authorities reacted before it could turn into another news story about a mass shooting at a school.

It's easy to Monday morning quarterback these things after the fact, but when even the slightest chance that inaction could lead to serious consequences is there, the authorities have to react.

Now, what I think they should have done is what the Secret Service does when someone appears to make threatening comments about the president or other senior member of government. They scare the everloving fuck out of the person by paying a visit and having a little chat. They should have sent a car with a detective and a couple of uniformed officers and did a little community policing at the dining table.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

No one will ever get sentenced to jail for saying something in a videogame.

For one, the kid who threatened the other person wouldn't know where he lives, so he wouldn't be able to carry out the threats.

And second, if it did come before a judge, he would tell the prosecutor to grow a pair, and the kid to learn some frakking manners.  (maybe not in those words)

However, it is not unheard of that threatening people on facebook gets punished, even here in scandinavia, because it would be fairly simple to track people down and carry out the threats should you want to, so they are seen as if you had done it face to face, but with evidence of you doing it.

But I think most people have gotten fined, and maybe probation if prior history of violence.

Never heard of anyone serving time for it.

Originally posted by PieRad

For one, the kid who threatened the other person wouldn't know where he lives, so he wouldn't be able to carry out the threats.

And second, if it did come before a judge, he would tell the prosecutor to grow a pair, and the kid to learn some frakking manners.  (maybe not in those words)

However, it is not unheard of that threatening people on facebook gets punished, even here in scandinavia, because it would be fairly simple to track people down and carry out the threats should you want to, so they are seen as if you had done it face to face, but with evidence of you doing it.

But I think most people have gotten fined, and maybe probation if prior history of violence.

According to several newssites, he made the comments on his facebook page after playing LoL It was about LoL, not ingame.

http://www.kvue.com/news/Father-of-19-year-old-charged-with-Terroristic-Threat-says-son-was-only-joking-212856951.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/teenager-justin-carter-facebook-comment-jail_n_3512025.html

http://www.change.org/petitions/release-justin-carter-and-change-the-investigative-criteria-for-terroristic-threat-laws

If it's a hoax it is a viral one.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well what he did was about as smart as shouting bomb at an airport... .. .

Now i think that at the very most he will be fined and maybe some community service, something i think will build some character. But on the flip-side i think they should take things like this serious. The fever troglodytes we have in the system the better.

People need to learn what you should do in public and what not... and yes the internet is slowly becoming a public space.

This have been a good conversation

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by Bjelar
    Originally posted by PieRad

According to several newssites, he made the comments on his facebook page after playing LoL It was about LoL, not ingame.

http://www.kvue.com/news/Father-of-19-year-old-charged-with-Terroristic-Threat-says-son-was-only-joking-212856951.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/teenager-justin-carter-facebook-comment-jail_n_3512025.html

http://www.change.org/petitions/release-justin-carter-and-change-the-investigative-criteria-for-terroristic-threat-laws

If it's a hoax it is a viral one.

Alright.

Well, if one major site publishes something and they blow up the story, alot of smaller ones will just follow suit.

But as I said, if it was on Facebook, then it's likely he will gets punished, but even if America is a bit crazy at times, I don't think he will see the inside of a jail for what he has done.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Folks, this isn't real. 

It probably is ( fake ). The no mainstream news coverage is often the dead give away but it's an interesting topic that hits home for any internet user so no harm in discussing what they should do about this type of thing.

It's not like anything we ever talk about really changes anything anyway :P

The MsM doesn't cover a lot of news stories and if that's where you get your news you are getting just what they want you to know. There are lots of great news sources on the net. Your time would be better spent getting your news there than watching the MsM.  Be warned though...things are much worse in this country than most realize.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Kid deserves whatever punishments comes.  Even though it was a joke it wasn't a very funny Joke at all with all the shootings that will and have happened.  The thing with the internet, ingame etc.  There is no real way to tell if it is a joke or not even with a JK ending.  
    Originally posted by Laross
    There is no real way to tell if it is a joke or not even with a JK ending.  

It's pretty clear by now, don't you think?

6 years behind bars because his joke wasn't funny. That ought to teach him.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Consequences

Exactly what we need on the interwebs.

If you say something IRL you need to stand behind your words, why should internet be any different from this?

People are usually wishing that their enemies in LoL would die of cancer.

Haven't heard anyone use that phrase IRL over a small meaningless competition.

<< Strong supporter of internet passports and internet governing >>

This discussion has been closed.