Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so why are people obsessed with subscription numbers

2»

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by ElderRat
    Originally posted by dave6660
    It's something to argue about on forums.  Think of it as a slightly more grown up version of "my daddy can beat up your daddy".

yes, also some people want to be part of the herd, if there is a bigger herd they want to know so they can go join that herd.

Sure does absorb a lot of loose hater time & energy, though.

"Oh look, your game got 3% smaller last quarter, it's all over now DOOM ur game suxored anyway!one1!!"

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I'm not sure why people use subscription numbers to gauge a games success. In my opinion a game with subscription number of 100,000 is a succesful game. Apparently others think that a game needs to have millions of players to be successful though.

Smile

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

It somehow validates their own personal choice I guess?

I never cared that EQ and EQ2 had less players than WoW. I preferred those games so I played them. I think it is just the ex-WoW crowd that needs to be part of the next fad.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    It's probably because people like to justify their decisions by proving to themselves (and others) that they're right. Big numbers mean that the game you're playing has to be good.  Millions of people agree with you so you aren't wrong.  Go ahead, flaunt those numbers around and brag about them like it's your game.  Now continue to spend another thousand or so hours on the game and flush that money down a virtual toilet.  You've earned it.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

the thing with subs is simple,

1. the more subs a game has the more stable inflow of money a game has and hence the more then can be allotted to development.

2. a sub is your vote when you sub to a game it means your voteing that you like the game if you don't like the game you will drop your sub, simple as that. just cause a handful of people decide they don't like something and get noisey about it dousnt mean its not good it just means they are noisey, its how many vote ya got that counts.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    I don't know why. Most people don't have the competence to interpret them.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         Humans are obsessed with quantitative numbers to say they are right or they have good taste..  Sports fan argue about numbers all the time, non stop.. TV shows do it with ratings.. Hollywood does it with ticket sales.. Politicians do it with votes.. None of these numbers prove anything..  As my grandfather once said, "Sometimes all the stupid people are on the same side".... Ha Ha..
  • Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

If nobody plays your old copy of Mass Effect 2, they ain't gonna take it and all the downloadable content you bought for it away from you.  But the stakes are much higher here.  What other people play or spend money on does impact your fun, when their preferences fail to keep the things we enjoy available for us.

In MMOnomics, what you enjoy can and will be taken away from you, if they aren't deemed "fashionable" anymore.  Heck, even when games make money, they still get closed down, because whatever money they make isn't enough for our bourgeois masters.

Combine these characteristics, and you'll see why we obsess over subscription numbers:

1)  These games tend to generate a high emotional attachment.

2)  The players here tend to spend a lot of money and time in these games.

3)  These games can and do get canned, for many reasons, making whatever time and money players invested worthless.

4)  Publishers are always looking for ways to cut costs or go in "new directions," and nostalgia ain't going to stop them from closing down your fun.

5)  Nobody wants to throw money and time into a "dead game walking."

6)  The profile of an MMO gamer typically plays and pays into one game at a time.  Attracting new bodies and wallets typically involves attracting players away from competitors.

Given all of the unique facts that make this form of computer entertainment different, can you really blame people like us to become obsessed over things like subscription numbers and financial viability?  This is a genre that will take you for all you are worth and leave you with nothing, if you aren't careful.

Part of being careful is to find out how well a game is doing, because few publishers have an incentive to tell you--before hand--that you'll be throwing your wallet into a dead game.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I explained it on page 3

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

You have to realize that alot of people are sheep...They go where the other sheep go......I see so many in the LFG secion who ask for a game that has large pop and no other considerations.....IF you take a game like WoW the pop is very misleading.... Of the 10 million only 2.5 mil or so are in the US or EU.....THats still alot of people comparatively but not 10 million....Also they have so many servers that the server you will play on will most likely only have a 4-5000 and that is if its full.....The server I played on was actually very bare....Unless you were in Stormwind, Ironforge, and Orgrimmar the game was deserted.

This is why alot of us tell people: Play what you enjoy and dont worry about population.

• SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315

To me sub numbers represent the overall "health" of a game.

If for example Game_01 has 25k subs and Game_02 has 150k subs I'd be more likely to go to Game_02 for the simple reason that a game with more players equates to more longevity usually.

I as a gamer want to play a game for quite awhile. I don't purchase a game to play for 6-7 months and then move onto the next. I'd rather stick with a game for 2+ years. Which in all honesty is becoming harder to do,mainly due to how fast companies seem to be pumping out the "Newer" and "Better". Each one having a "Gimmick" that catches the eye.

Now having said that the sub number isn't the end all and be all for me,it is just one of many factors I use in deciding if I will purchase/play a certain game.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar People feel that their opinion is supported and therefore correct when others agree with them.O Of course we all know there is no real correlation between someone else agreeing with our opinion and our opinion being corect but still it makes us feel like we are right. 
    this

haha!
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

People feel that their opinion is supported and therefore correct when others agree with them.O

Of course we all know there is no real correlation between someone else agreeing with our opinion and our opinion being corect but still it makes us feel like we are right. 

this

this

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

Nobody likes to play a dead MMO regardless of how good/bad it is. If its empty there's a reason for that

That's likely the long short answer

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

people have to rational their choice of game/s or something like that

as long as there is enough people to play with and to make the game profitable for the developers to keep updating the game then that is all that matters

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Rydeson
         Humans are obsessed with quantitative numbers to say they are right or they have good taste..  Sports fan argue about numbers all the time, non stop.. TV shows do it with ratings.. Hollywood does it with ticket sales.. Politicians do it with votes.. None of these numbers prove anything..  As my grandfather once said, "Sometimes all the stupid people are on the same side".... Ha Ha..

have to disagree with you numbers prove quite a lot sports fans rely on bigger numbers to buy better players build bigger stadiums pay ridiculous wages win trophies TV shows rely on ratings so they can make another season or so look how many get canned stargate universe ,caprica,the cape ,alphas ,legend of the seeker have all been canned due to not enough numbers even tho some of them are quite good Hollywood ratings sure brad pitt and mila kunis are going to bring in more revenue than joe blogs or mary smith even tho the films with well known actors may well be rubbish politicians well I think most people vote because they arnt happy usually with the party that's in the point is that numbers speak and prove quite a lot

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by hercules
    Recently went back to wow and my server was one of the dead ones. So choices were paid transfer or go back to one of my lower pre tbc toon on a crowded server. on eq2 I went back and was already on AB server which was even overcrowded. So yes eq2 has less sub numbers then wow but I actually had more people to play with on my eq2 server then my wow server. bottom line numbers mean nothing to a player as long as he has enough to play with and the game is making enough to continue development. You can even be on the highest sub game and bad luck and you are on a ghost server .

I think it have to do with the fact that MMOs are rather hard to measure other ways. Fun is a relative term while sub numbers and profits are easier to measure.

I myself played EQ2 until they made it F2P (I really hate how they did that transition). Somewhat over 5 years in total but I just felt the game started to go downhill lately.

MMOs is not about the total number of subscribers, the actual number of players on your server is way more important but the real hard thing have always been to find the right MMO that fits me just right. 

And somewhat smaller games often have better communities than the really large ones so sub numbers is a double edged sword.

Just play whatever you have most fun with. :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

Nobody likes to play a dead MMO regardless of how good/bad it is. If its empty there's a reason for that

There is a critical number of players a server needs for the game to truly feel like a MMO, that is indeed true. I think part of that problem is because how servers actually work and some companies unwillingness to merge servers that for some reason lose more players than the rest. No amount of cross server dungeons can fix that.

But if a game have 1 full server or a hundred really matters little.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

There is a critical number of players a server needs for the game to truly feel like a MMO, that is indeed true. I think part of that problem is because how servers actually work and some companies unwillingness to merge servers that for some reason lose more players than the rest. No amount of cross server dungeons can fix that.

But if a game have 1 full server or a hundred really matters little.

tis is why I like mega servers

, only issue is with naming but I like cryptics answer to this.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.