Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] General: Have MMOs Become Too Easy?

Comments

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by deamian
    Time is valuable, lately everything is centered around that concept. I want another game like Everquest that steals away my entire evening to get progress, not a game that I progress through the whole game in one evening.

No thx, its waste of time to play a game that looks like it was made in stone age, and never make any proggress due to full loot mechanic

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• space-scumspace-scum Member CommonPosts: 5

Well written!

My first exposure to MMO's was Anarchy Online. They took a while before they started to make it quicker and easier to level and they had no quest line to follow.

I absolutely loved the world I found myself in. Loved the rivalry between Clan and Omni. Loved having to explore and sometimes enter an area  that I was nowhere near strong enough to survive.

I remember the thrill as I figured something out, or discovered a new area and how other players would let you discover these things, without blabbing in a global chat.  Anyone asking would only be helped via a tell.

Once things to ease leveling (DOJA CHIPS, Daily missions) and a few other features, what  some referred to as dumbing the game down, I moved in to other mmo's searching for what I had lost.

Despite trying many, many other games, none have come close to captivating me  as much.

I am holding hope that World of Darkness will be it.  There are still some mmorpgs I play and enjoy, but one day I am sure I will find what is missing.

• blohm86blohm86 Member Posts: 43

The game isnt easier, most games are just so repetative. The buttonmashing just isnt enough these days, how about actually making quests tricky, making people read the q´s for once?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by blohm86

The game isnt easier, most games are just so repetative. The buttonmashing just isnt enough these days, how about actually making quests tricky, making people read the q´s for once?

Uhm, yes they are. I died a lot more before maxing out a character in the old days and the only possible reasons for that is either am I a lot better now or the games are easier... So I tried out some pre 2000 single player games to test the theory, and I play in fact worse now. Heck, played some C-64 games I remember as easy and died more than I like to talk about.

Around the year 2000 the gaming community grow from people with special interests in computers to the average Joe and the games became a lot easier with that.

As an example, look on the Diablo IP. Each game have been a lot easier than the first.

Nowadays in MMOs the only times I die before maxing out is either when I get distracting by something IRL or when I do something suicidal.

I been playing computer games since 1984 and MMOs since 1996, they are easier now. 

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    How can you say it is getting to easy, when they retard your level from 80 to 62 and leave the pve content at level 68! IMO this is NOT easy!!!
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by Xarko
    Not necessarily easy, but they became SIMPLE.

It makes perfectly sense and I agree.

MMO's today have become linear objective style multiplayer action games.

There is no mental challenge

Originally posted by DMKano

MMOs were always easy, today they just don't require lifetime commitments to get anything done.

We are living in an accelerated age, 40 hours to gain 1 level by grinding 100s of the same mob in one spot - ain't nobody got time for that!

I am looking for more fun and entertaining experience that takes less time. I don't want to spend 40+ hours a week in front of my PC playing some MMORPG that belongs in the late 1990s, I still play EQ1 and I played it since launch. EQ1 at launch was horrendously slow paced as far as XP, we just didn't know any different. I don't want to play a game like that again.

So if hard=time commitment, no thanks, I am done with that crap forever.

just my opinion after 15 years of online gaming.

I have to agree with the time consumption, but you still died a lot more in the old games.

Guildwars was hard at launch but still not time consuming, I wish they could make a few more games with that in thought.

As I see it does hard mean that you need to play well or die a lot, not that you need to play a week to gain a single level. Spawn camping was not hard even in the old days. MMOs needs to challenge their players to be fun, not just add more grind (even if there is room for a few new MMOs that requires long grind as well, but I don't have time myself for games like that anymore).

• patx6xpatx6x Member UncommonPosts: 11
    dam yeah mmo r ultra to easy no more fun now hope someday something world wide become real
    Originally posted by zasten
    How can you say it is getting to easy, when they retard your level from 80 to 62 and leave the pve content at level 68! IMO this is NOT easy!!!

And how often do you actually wipe then? 

The only thing that is hard today is PvP since there the difficulty depends on your opponent. 

I did however really like GW2 at the first beta weekend, it was actually challenging then but they made it easy after that. Hard is when you actually have to be alert or die as you play even if you just do open world stuff.

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

i don't realy care about easy or hard when i enjoy it, but its sad how unmature they are, when i see a promising one, they are sure get raged about naked body parts, or blood...etc. because "kids will play it too"...

So dark fantasy & true horror mmorpg hard to born... or never.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by sindur
    Play Darkfall Unholy Wars, its a game where you dont get hand held, you have to figure things out on your own or ask other people who is playing how to improve you skills.

Too bad the production quality of that game is abysmally bad and the whole game is just a gank fest instead of a sandbox MMO.

Don't confuse "hard" with "crappy"...

Except that it isn't... the lighting and sound, armor and environments in Darkfall is unmatched in most MMOs. Animations aren't great.

And ganking implies it is entirely senseless, which is not the case. It's all about politics.

Originally posted by DocBrody

The only MMOs which are left out there with a challenge are Secret World and EvE.

That´s about it

I wouldn't really call TSW an MMO...at all.

Originally posted by steamtank

anyone who says vanilla WoW was casual...

never went for rank 14(15?) in pvp (lawl its been a few years... i made rank 13)

never raided vanilla content pre-nerfs

it all went downhill at 1st expansion when the development shifted goals

Just because a lot people play something in a hardcore manner, does not make the game hardcore. The PvP, quests, and raids in WoW were all incredibly simple and casual. FRom day one.

• HjamnrHjamnr Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Arclan

Originally posted by moosecatlol
    ...It's funny to think now that everyone sees WoW as the most casual game to have ever existed, while the same time factually realizing that it still holds the title of most hardcore PvE game to have ever existed and it did so without the crutch of perma-death or exploding gear.

This is an example of how to win people over. Acknowledge, respectfully, another's position and offer up evidence for yours. Well spoken, sir; I am moved. Posts like this one make me think I should really give WoW a try. Especially since I have been a blizzard fan since Orcs & Humans. Or perhaps I should wait for Titan.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

WoW being the "most hardcore PvE".   Hah!

You want "most hardcore PvE"?   Try EQ plane-raids in the first few years.   Or DAoC's Atlantean 200 person ML raids, which lasted 13+ hours, for some.

WoW + anything "hardcore" = Hahahahahahahahahahaha! 

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Why do people equate having a shit and piss bucket next to their computer + blood clotting as hardcore?  What happened to problem solving and hand eye coordination?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Better question would be has articles become way too fucking generic bullshit.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• alexmagusalexmagus Member Posts: 1
    I can't deny that many of the actual MMO's are really boring because of their lack of difficulty, but if you ask me this is happening because of the players that want to become pro's in a day or two and sadly they are the majority in this world.
  • JessXIIIJessXIII Member Posts: 22
    No it's the opposite. they force you to group with douche bags, which is hard. I already work with them, why would i want to play with them in a game? I wouldn't. Someone could hold a gun to my head and i'd rather die than group with people i don't know.  Thankfully there's cheats to solo group content. that's the only time i'd ever cheat.
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight
    Why do people equate having a shit and piss bucket next to their computer + blood clotting as hardcore?  What happened to problem solving and hand eye coordination?

Neither of which is important in modern MMOs when you have GUIs you can download that play the game for you and in game quests that light up the objectives.

What's hardcore is risk vs reward game design with deep and numerous gameplay mechanics.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    This is the best article on mmorpg.com
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Bring back death penalties, slow progression, very different classes, etc. Just because it;s hard doesn't mean you have to play 24 hours a day 7 days a week. There is no rush to endgame.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    The gameplay still remains the same. Have a look at EQ1 and have a look at WoW the goal is to kill stuff while pressing buttons pretty much. It's just alot of things have been made easier such as trivial death penalty, easier talent choices, and the experience sped up somewhat. So, the gameplay is still the same it's just everything else has been made more convenient. 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ExiledTyrantExiledTyrant Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

I don't know if games are too easy.  What I do know is that some developers currently don't know what "difficulty" is.  They think it's just adding tons of hp, tons of damage and making the enemy NPCs as cheap as possible.  That's not challenging that's annoying.  It's bad lazy design

It's ironic that Firefall is one of the images referenced with pictures. Firefall is a game full of aimbots, that have more hp than necessary they can kill people pretty quickly no matter how skilled you are because they track you and are cheap.  That's absolute NOT a challenge. People simply find exploits in the bad AI or positional exploits, or burn through content by zerging through it.  Firefall isn't "too hard" it's cheap and poorly designed.  It's easy to exploit and frustratingly BAD if you don't.

It's the same reason why Guild Wars 2 dungeons tend to be utter garbage because ANet doesn't know what difficulty and challenge is. They shoe horned in mechanics to compete with TERA. 

A game like The Secret World has the best dungeons and challenges out of any of the new release MMOs. They took to the time to craft mechanics and encounters that challenges a players hand eye coordination, team work, build and decision making.

Secret world was a blatant 1 shot fest in any dungeon on hard or nightmare. It took a game that was supposed to make a myriad of builds viable shoehorn people into about 3 that worked. Please do not try to champion that garbage game when many left because of their crappy end game gear grind that only rehashed dungeons you've done a million times by doing what you supposedly hate. ADD MORE HP AND DAMAGE.

Secret world good story and bad everything else.

"Do not speak to me of fate!" ~ A fairy tale for the Demon Lord

• ExiledTyrantExiledTyrant Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Secret world was a blatant 1 shot fest in any dungeon on hard or nightmare. It took a game that was supposed to make a myriad of builds viable shoehorn people into about 3 that worked. Please do not try to champion that garbage game when many left because of their crappy end game gear grind that only rehashed dungeons you've done a million times by doing what you supposedly hate. ADD MORE HP AND DAMAGE.

"Do not speak to me of fate!" ~ A fairy tale for the Demon Lord

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by DMKano

MMOs were always easy, today they just don't require lifetime commitments to get anything done.

We are living in an accelerated age, 40 hours to gain 1 level by grinding 100s of the same mob in one spot - ain't nobody got time for that!

I am looking for more fun and entertaining experience that takes less time. I don't want to spend 40+ hours a week in front of my PC playing some MMORPG that belongs in the late 1990s, I still play EQ1 and I played it since launch. EQ1 at launch was horrendously slow paced as far as XP, we just didn't know any different. I don't want to play a game like that again.

So if hard=time commitment, no thanks, I am done with that crap forever.

just my opinion after 15 years of online gaming.

Different strokes for different folks.

We all got our taste and I been probably playing just as many years like yourself and maybe even more since the Vic 20 was my 1st home computer. I remember getting the C64 and a copy of Zork from Infocom and that game put my mind to think on what the hell I was suppose to do in a text base game.

The introduction to MMORPG's when they became a bad addiction was probably around the time of Ultima Online, but led into a 3D format like Evercrack and so fourth. The games had challenge, they were new and different, you had to use your brain and was pretty much for a niche bunch of gaming geeks that role played in real life. We didnt have Teamspeak and treat the game like a job, but a hobby to hop onto the games with your friends and enjoy the virtual world.

This generation of mmo gamers are alot different from the era I grew up in and instant gratification just simply sucks, plain and simple. This is why so many players game hop to look for something more challenging and rewarding than their last challenge.

I may be part of the minority now of the ole fashion mmorpg players, but I can tell you I got better memories in the older games than thew newer mmo's we got now. I immersed myself in the older mmorpg's, however these new ones are nothing but hop in, get your fix and leave to the other next big thing.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by SBFord

One of the debates that rages in the MMO-space these days is whether or not MMOs have become to simplistic. In an exclusive developer blog, Red 5's Mark Kern discusses the subject from his very unique perspective. See what he's got to say before heading to the comments to leave your thoughts.

It all started with the drive to make MMOs, which in the EQ and Ultima days were a niche and hard core game, more accessible. Accessibility was the mantra when I was leading the World of Warcraft team. We labored over the user interface for the game, going through many iterations, to find one that would be easy and intuitive for players new to the genre. We created a massive number of quests to lead the player through the world, making sure that they never had to think about what to do next. 

Read more of Mark Kern's Have MMOs Become Too Easy?

Easy is nice when you have a low population.  Difficulty is nice when you know you will get into a group.  Most mmorpgs I can think of are just solo Rpgs until you level cap and then it just becomes a silly gear fest.