Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What feature would EQN have to implement to make you go ‘OMG I can’t believe they did that’ ?

Comments

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Dullahan

We really shouldn't be that shocked by completely open world, but here we are in 2013 and everyone is lining up to take the easy way out.

I'd just be blown away if they could make a world as immersive as classic Everquest.  That means no instances, no instant travel, a dangerous world, challenging content that severely limits soloing, and so on and so forth.

Beyond that, something new and amazing with the way players shape the world and develop cities.  If you actually had to design cities intelligently to make them appealing for npcs to migrate to, ala Sim City, I think that would blow me away.

If EQ Next could really give players more creative control with building and crafting so that you really were able to make things that we unique, I'd be blown away.

Many other things, hard to even list them all, but at this point I'd be happy with a game that was open world, with sandbox elements and meaningful player progression and pve content.  That has yet to be done well in a fantasy setting, and I'm hoping I won't be old and grey with arthritis before it finally happens.

Couldn't have written this better myself. Including the "old and grey" part. (half way there, with some grey already showing, lol)

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

UO style housing in a 3d game would be pretty damn cool also, where you can build your house brick by brick, and it not being instanced.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Swing motion combat with weapon collision. SoEMote to cast spells and PS Move to swing/run and VR screen to see I would be speechless... well until I needed to cast a spell on the move :)
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by LateBrake1

For me it would be a NON-INSTANCED full Collision Detection implemented would.

I’m tired of seeing the canned response of ‘Well we can’t have 50 people fighting over 1 mob now can we?(snicker, snicker)’. The 50 people fighting over one mob is more a limit of the your world size and  your tech not being able to handle a non-instanced world now isn’t it?

I live in a city of 1,000,000 but I can still get away into the hills, mountains, and go to the heart of the city and my world is not instanced. Developers seem to have forgotten the Massively part of MMO.

Let’s say you had a player made towns, well as more and more people arrived people would build on the outskirts and the town would expand to handle it and so on and so on until people could get around.

Instancing has been a staple of MMO’s lately but with that a certain level of immersion has been lost as your put into instanced copy #28 of the game world.  

So that’s the one thing I would love to see them pull off. It’s not new, if fact it’s old, EQ1 had no instances but the technology to pull it off now has to be cutting edge and I’m not sure we’re there yet but if EQN did pull it off I would say ‘OMG I can’t believe they did that!’.

It's not that you can't get out in deserted wilderness, of course you can. But there will be hot-spots where people will want to go for any number of reasons, and there the game world will be stupidly overcrowded. Make the world truly HUGE, and most of it will feel like single player game, exept of the hot spots where 50 players try to kill one mob.

I will be blown away if I can dig a hole in the ground, leave the game for a year, caome back and what do you know, the hole is still there, now filled with water.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Stylized cartoony graphics, that would kill the immersion for me and i would not buy it.
  • TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524
    Kill X collect Y quests. I refuse to run in that hamster mill again.

Eleanor Rigby.

• thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Stylized cartoony graphics, that would kill the immersion for me and i would not buy it.

1. Its free anyways

2. At the 2011 (or 2010) fan fair they said that they were going for a more stylized graphics and its evident in the leaked animation reel as well UNLESS they changed their mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzSqBYg-xOE around 4:40 to 5:00

It's 2013 i would have thought by now mmo's would be more sophisticated. What would surprise me is if they made a huge open world and stopped cutting corners while telling us it can't be done.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    It's 2013 i would have thought by now mmo's would be more sophisticated. What would surprise me is if they made a huge open world and stopped cutting corners while telling us it can't be done.

That's nothing special, there are already huge open non instanced worlds.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

The only game that felt like a huge world with different cultures and continents was vanguard, but that game was a half finished mess.

Originally posted by thedood123

1. Its free anyways

2. At the 2011 (or 2010) fan fair they said that they were going for a more stylized graphics and its evident in the leaked animation reel as well UNLESS they changed their mind

Well i for one won't be playing if it's over the top like that. They scrapped the game in 2010/11 and started again.

• thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150

1. Its free anyways

Well i for one won't be playing if it's over the top like that. They scrapped the game in 2010/11 and started again.

Yeah thats why I am not sure... guess we'll just have to wait and find out

1. Its free anyways

I have a feeling you are right though and it will be stylized graphics which is a shame.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Upon starting up the game it says "This was just a marketing trick, here are links to our other games", now that would make me say OMG I can't believe they did that.

Joking aside I would be pleasently surpriced if they made:

Full collission system where objects (trees, rocks, players, even wind) would influence combat. Hiding behind Your big shield tank, a nearby tree, a player based magical defensive structure, you name it; cold or rain affecting how hot a fireball is, wind making arrows more inaccurate. Rogues relying on shadows and much more.

Skill based system where You theoretically never stop levelling (see EQ's AA system). No more hitting level max and then only gear grind will improve Your character, after a year I still want to be progressing my character. Ability to train several skills and combine personal roles, and to be able to switch role (with whatever penalties may apply).

Remebering that R in mmoRpg does not stand for Story but for Roleplaying. This means freedom in the game aswell as playing a role that supports the group, traditionally holy trinity but I don't see why You can think outside of that box and still be playing a role. Basically everything that gw2 is not /em ducks and cast flame protection.

Suceeding in creating a great PvE game and combat system that aren't dumbed down for the sake of solo gameplay and PvP. Fights that last atleast a minute each so tactical elements come into play. Actions per second and reaction time should not be the carrying factor in combat, this doesn't mean there cannot be action but it means action must not dominate tactical mechanics.

A Foundry like system (see Neverwinter) that is a natural and driving part of the game. This would have to be really clever to be an advantage, and fiercely controlled and quality checked by SoE and dedicated player communities. It is easy to see the full open system like Neverwinter presented was great in theory but way too open to all kinds of problems.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    non instanced dungens are key.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

The only game that felt like a huge world with different cultures and continents was vanguard, but that game was a half finished mess.

Vanguard may have been half finished when released(not that i think it was) but it's certainly not half finished now, i've played since beta.

And Vanguard isn't the only fully open world, DF,SOR-Atys

Originally posted by TheJoda

Why would that make you go "omg i can't believe they don't that" there is a mmo that has no instanced dungeons now.

I expect EQN to have non instanced dungeons, it's not hard.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Why would that make you go "omg i can't believe they don't that" there is a mmo that has no instanced dungeons now.

Probably because no one does this...

Come to think of it, the last game with real dungeons that did this was EQ or maybe Vanguard if you count half finished games.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

Come to think of it, the last game with real dungeons that did this was EQ or maybe Vanguard if you count half finished games.

No there were also non instanced dungeons in WoW at the beginning.  Instancing of dungeons was a means of insuring "fair play" preventing people from stealing the boss after someone else had cleared the trash.  IMHO the cure was worse than the disease.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by kjempff

........ personal roles, and to be able to switch role ......

Remebering that R in mmoRpg does not stand for Story but for Roleplaying. This means freedom in the game as well as playing a role that supports the group, traditionally holy trinity but I don't see why You can think outside of that box and still be playing a role. Basically everything that gw2 is not /em ducks and cast flame protection.

I am sorry the Role in MMORPG is not a reference to the holy trinity it is a reference to playing a character the way you play a role in a play.  You could remove the hply trinity entirely and still have an MMORPG.

Oh and btw the "swiss army knife" approach (being able to switch from utility to dps to healer to tank) on the fly is not a good thing for Role Playing it is a disaster for Role Playing.  It is also something I abhor in game play terms.

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170

On broad lines, I would be very much sold if they opted for:

- A virtual world with a high degree of interaction, with estrategic open world PvP and PVE dependant on PvP. The virtual world would be modifiable by the players' actions and weather would make an impact.

- Strong consequence system for player actions (ie: strong consequence for compulsive ganking). Reputation/Prestige system. Of course, consequences for good/evil morals. Strong banning system (perhaps linking account to credit card number to perma ban for good?)

- Player driven economy and complex crafting. Player generated workshops and vendors. No auction house. Of course, item decay.

- The virtual world would be embedded in the context of a lore. The world changes in accordance with lore's changes. SOE personel acting as Dungeon Masters and generating dynamic events.

- No personal story, just the context of the lore.

- No solo friendly.

- No fixed classes. Progression based on use of skills. Possibility of progression for non-combat character's careers.

- Player generated content: housing, cities. Possibility of becoming Dungeon Masters and commanding NPCs to hardcore players after certain very tough conditions and career progress.

- No PvP and PvE segregation. "Casual Server" with possiblity of flag/unflag for PvP and easier content for the entitled crowd.

- Integration with mobile devices. Your character would "have a life" when you are not playing and you would give him/her basic orders through a mobile app (sleep/shelter, free for hire, vendor mode, etc).

All in all: RPG friendly!

I think these points would be aligned with Smed's vision. Perhaps I'm expecting too much...

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Originally posted by craftseeker
    Originally posted by kjempff 
    ........ personal roles, and to be able to switch role ......

Remebering that R in mmoRpg does not stand for Story but for Roleplaying. This means freedom in the game as well as playing a role that supports the group, traditionally holy trinity but I don't see why You can think outside of that box and still be playing a role. Basically everything that gw2 is not /em ducks and cast flame protection.

I am sorry the Role in MMORPG is not a reference to the holy trinity it is a reference to playing a character the way you play a role in a play.  You could remove the hply trinity entirely and still have an MMORPG.

..and that is also exactly what I typed, so no argument there. What I am against is Roleless.

Oh and btw the "swiss army knife" approach (being able to switch from utility to dps to healer to tank) on the fly is not a good thing for Role Playing it is a disaster for Role Playing. It is also something I abhor in game play terms.

..Somewhat agree but one of the problems with games with tight roles are the need for a specific role. Personally the biggest problem I had with Eq was beeing unable to do something for hours because there were no spefici class/role available. The main reason people start multiboxing is because they were forced to stand with lfg on for hours or unable to kill a quest mob without a healer and so on.

We need Roles but at the same time it is not good to be dependend on one, and to accomodate for this I am thinking role switching could be a good way to fix this. It should not be on the fly mechanic I agree, but some kind of reasonable tradeoff. Maybe timers that limits powers of an hour, limited gear carrying abilities or other stuff.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I have a feeling you are right though and it will be stylized graphics which is a shame.

3 weeks ago,  Smed leaked this pic  -- I think it reconfirms the leaked animation video

http://eq2wire.com/2013/06/06/smedley-teases-eqnext-design-in-progress-pic/

Vanguard has  fully non instanced dungeons and it's not a half finished game. 

I would like Smed&Co to reintroduce being able to drop items on the ground like in EQ.