Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please tell me why you feel others have to want forced open world PvP

Not enough adrenaline at the thought of pouncing on a weak underprepared prey?

Is the niceness and kind acts from one player to another too much for you?

Perhaps then you can't "win" a lot by destroying someone and camping their corpse?

Is it because you use PvP to make up for lacking parts of your real life and therefore need others to let you gank them?

Is it that PvErs are nice?

Outside of "because they should like it" why would you feel that everyone has to be subjected to an MMO where there is open world forced PvP.

I mean to me open world PVP is the bowels off multiplayer gaming. You test your skills against a weak and underprepared opponent. You ruin and interrupt game play so you can feel powerful and immense for a couple moments of your life. 

So why oh why must others have to deal with it? Why can't you PvP with those who have chosen to PvP at that time in that place? I mean MMO companies have done studies and trials and realized most don't want this, so why don't you get it?

This is not meant to demean. It's an observation, a true observation. If we reach the heart of the problem maybe you can be fixed.

Comments

• brackatchabrackatcha Member Posts: 24

Love it

I don't know if the original poster in that infamous pvp thread thought he was being clever or if he was just bluntly and ham-fistedly trolling

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    No such thing as forced pvp. You agree to it when choose the server type or game type. Nothing is forced.
    If you do not wish to be pvp'd, do not select that server type or play that type of game. Plenty of carebear options to choose from.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Yay!!!! Another for/against PvP thread on MMORPG.COM!!! How exciting....

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by lugal
    No such thing as forced pvp. You agree to it when choose the server type or game type. Nothing is forced.
    If you do not wish to be pvp'd, do not select that server type or play that type of game. Plenty of carebear options to choose from.

This ^

End of this silly little Thread.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

i felt like posting something similar to this myself.

however let me just say this:

the ;heart of old school mmorpg... is the rpg. rpg's tend to derive from the pen and paper worlds where friends would team up to defeat monsters and get loot. these monsters were controlled by a GM/DM not other players.

the heart of rpg's is a co-op pve experience.

many of us like working as a team to defeat internet monsters. 

pvp's roots are in arcade fighters. not everyones cup of tea... but the arcade fighter attempted balance... something that is fundamentally impossible in an MMORPG.

i enjoy pvp... i enjoy rp-pvp the most... but it will always be flawed and unbalanced, whereas my pve scripted adventures with a guild or friends has a 'beatable' benchmark. I know how well my team is prepared and functioning by how well we do.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

The fact that the only argument those who want PvP forced onto other players is that "It isn't forced if you agree to play the game" is sad and inaccurate.

Trying to argue the usage of force (which you guys are using wrong anyway) doesn't change the situation, the topic or the point.

It would be interesting instead to try and see those same people argue why they think others have to want open world PvP where they can be attacked at anytime and to argue why having designated servers for open world PvP and those designated for PvE only are not acceptable options. Or will the response be another Clintonesque non sequitur about the definition of "is", or in this case "force" instead of actually tackling the topic at hand?

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by brackatcha

Love it

I don't know if the original poster in that infamous pvp thread thought he was being clever or if he was just bluntly and ham-fistedly trolling

Agree lol..

Isn't ArcheAge going to be enough, they should be happy that they finally have a western version of that game being published by a very good western dev team.

The op in that thread wants to turn EQN in Age Of Wushu, not that Age Of  Wushu doesn't have some great features but they want it all.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Love it

Yet so many people will miss the point of this thread, just you wait and see... oh wait the few posters after you already didn't get it.

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Love it

Yet so many people will miss the point of this thread, just you wait and see... oh wait the few posters after you already didn't get it.

Yeah, i guess some are just slow off the mark lol.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Look at threads about a sort of flag system for PVP. Often the most complaints come from those who want forced PVP. Why?

Well I think they are not confident enough to really PVP. A flag system means anyone who flags himself is doing so willingly and prepared. This means the forced pvp crowd can not pray on those who are weaker or pvp skillles. I think that is the main reason why some people want forced PVP.

Also the "there is no forced PVP" doesn't work because there are plenty of games that offer allot of great feature's but the majority of players is turned off by it's forced PVP nature. Not saying those games shouldn't excist. But again a sort of flag system could make the ingame world allot more populated. Because not every games has a PVE and PVP server to choose from.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

If you had posted this tomorrow, I would have sworn it was a birthday present. Excellent post, Snarling. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Love it

No, just tired of the same stupid tit-for-tat you people have going on. Like the original thread wasn't bad enough...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

Originally posted by kakasaki

Love it

No, just tired of the same stupid tit-for-tat you people have going on. Like the original thread wasn't bad enough...

And no one is forcing you to partake in any of these threads, right?

• oGMooGMo Member UncommonPosts: 89

The fact that the only argument those who want PvP forced onto other players is that "It isn't forced if you agree to play the game" is sad and inaccurate.

I'm not 100% sure which side of this argument you're on, but that doesn't really matter for this. This can be reduced to something a lot more obvious:

Should open PvP be in every MMO? If you say yes, then by this ideal, the only choice for non-PvPers is not to play MMOs. If you say no, then open PvP is not "universal", and calling for it at every turn is a contradiction, because you've already agreed it's not universally-desired.

Yes yes, logic has no place on the internet and all that.

Originally posted by kakasaki

Love it

And no one is forcing you to partake in any of these threads, right?

Nope, but I am free to give my opinion that you are all being childish and petty.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Tinybina

This ^

End of this silly little Thread.

+1 to this too. 

Take ArcheAGe for example. It will feature open world pvp so why go and buy the game knowing this if you don't like pvp?

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    The sense of entitlement seems to be a cancer in those who hate "forced" pvp. The comments always exclude freedom of choice, some how you must play a game but if it has a ruleset you do not like, you have to have it changed or rant endlessly about on the interwebs.
    Learn to accept that some games will have things you do not want and move on. I have and I have no need to cry about it.
    Now, why do people like pvp? It's my opinion, that scripted encounters are boring and not chaLlenging. Anybody can watch a screen to wait to be told when to move or when to heal/attack. It has nothing to do with compensation. Though some do have that issue.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Look at threads about a sort of flag system for PVP. Often the most complaints come from those who want forced PVP. Why?

Well I think they are not confident enough to really PVP. A flag system means anyone who flags himself is doing so willingly and prepared. This means the forced pvp crowd can not pray on those who are weaker or pvp skillles. I think that is the main reason why some people want forced PVP.

It's this. I used to only play on pvp servers and pvp enabled game for a decade when I was younger. But the truth was always the same. While I was leveling, lots of people liked to show up and attack me, but as soon as I was capped with good gear, no one to be found. I have to give the exception of "well there was pvp . . . in certain areas of the game where lots of people pvped" but that was just large mobs of people running around.

Only time someone would try to fight me at max level with decent gear was if I was over extended against a mob. That's it.  Anytime you turn around and look at one of these "pvpers" they run away. They only want to fight if winning is 100% certainty.

Everyone else just wants to run around a few different areas spamming abilities . . . wait you know what that sounds like? Battlegrounds!

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Mannish

Originally posted by Tinybina

No such thing as forced pvp. You agree to it when choose the server type or game type. Nothing is forced.If you do not wish to be pvp'd, do not select that server type or play that type of game. Plenty of carebear options to choose from.
    This ^End of this silly little Thread.

+1 to this too. Take ArcheAGe for example. It will feature open world pvp so why go and buy the game knowing this if you don't like pvp?
    For their crafting? Maybe for their housing? Maybe someone likes the farming or the idea of their gliders intrigues them? Maybe a player who likes the trading feature would like to take part?

I'd really like to see what AA is all about but because of their PvP, I will be passing on it.

Yea... PvP or don't play is not forced PvP. In my mind, that is the very definition of it.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

Open pvp is a game killer; games inevitably run into population imbalances when one side has more skilled pvpers than the other, resulting in players leaving the game. BEst example I can think of is PotBS, a great game but with a pvp-centric game goal players are either rage quitting or switching sides.

Fans of open world pvp trivialize players leaving the games by insulting these players as "carebears" or other derogatory terms but when it comes down to it the "carebears" are the most important subsection of the player base since you need them to keep the servers populated.

• brackatchabrackatcha Member Posts: 24
    ...whoosh is a sound a lot of you heard after reading the ops comments...
    ...whoosh is a sound a lot of you heard after reading the ops comments...

Don't know what is worse: the OP for creating this thread to "satirize" the original thread or the people that don't get it...

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Pure win. +1 to the OP.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    I am officially bored by the pvp vs pve war. Please let it end.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

Invulnerability to others player-controled characters is just very unrealistic and "dumb" to my humble taste, it also take away from the mmo many emergent components that i think is essential to a "world simulator" (politics, diplomacy, meaningful fights, social challenges and so on).

But i think is very unnecessary to wrangle about it, since there are mmos and servers to every taste available nowadays. Is true that some mmos are specially designed needing pvp (like darkfall and archeage) and others not, but the options nowadays are still huge and will increase.

This discussion has been closed.