Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please, tell me why you hate PVP so much. I just don't understand.

Comments

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    To answer the the OP:  I pvp for a living in court.  When I play a game I just want to relax and not have to worry that I am going to be ganked during my limited free time.    And, on the rare occasions where I do want a little pvp, it has to be arena pvp or i am not interested at all.  It has nothing to do with being scared, getting  better, etc. Open world pvp is not pvp; it's a gank-a-thon.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I myself prefer faction pvp, even if it is open world and pvp can happen everywhere...But I have played UO from launch, DAoC type, Vanguard faction, then ffa when pvp servers got merged, and Rift pvp.

Some mmos just do PvP poorly, and some classes are ridiculously low risk/advantaged.  World size being small, and very railed also is a poor ffa design.  It only takes one high level griefer to put a wrench in lower level peoples path when their is only 1-2 areas to level.

So I have played some mmos that were ffa and I was fine with it, others I thought sucked at it.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I dont like forced PvP in games that has huge gear differences and passive power levels (every themepark) because it's not up to me or my skill if I win or loose when 10 levels higher bad comes at me with full epics.

I enjoy the PvP at max level against same level people until it gets off hands and becomes a stupid arms race soon after launch and with every patch, with mind blowing slave labor to get on par with others getting gibbed by bads if you dont keep up all the time or want to make a new char.

I love PvP, I just wish we had a mmorpg that has no passive power-levels and the gear differences are not so huge. Planetside 2 is not a mmorpg, but it has a good example of gear system that I like, the gear has differences but you can kill other player with any weapon and with any upgrades.

I've pretty much given up on themeparks because they really and simply are just... Stupid. Stupid gear race with no other point or fun to be had in them. Gear and level dictating where you can go and what you can do, just to get to the next "tier" ewwwh... This is usually true for PvP in them too. I'm tired of playing stupid games that only try to put a leash and a collar on you.

/rant

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Hate PvP? Nah, I love PvP. PvP is one of the major addictive qualities of GW2 for me. One thing that makes it so addictive, though, is the fact that it's PvP when I choose to do PvP, not when someone else decides to thrust PvP on me. To me that's huge.  Sometimes I just simply want to chill, take it easy, see the world. I should have the choice to do so. Other times, if it's red it's dead. It's really that simple.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173

Hate is too strong of a word.  i woulden't say people hate pvp.  what most people dislike, is forced pvp.

pvp has to be done right, or else it can easily becomes, into an , boring  massive gankfest.  the problem with most modern mmo, that have open world, forced pvp system.  is that usually attracts the worse kind of fellow human beings.  so why would someone wants to spend their free time, or spending money. in a  game that is designed to only reward a few?   so at least you are into some  hardcore bondage, and love being everyone's punching bag.  you won't  like it .

my favorite pvp mmo, was daoc.   every other mmo i've tried lately with pvp usually turns out into a ganking , griefing paradise.   so you bet i choose to spend my money and my free time, somewhere else.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Cephus404

I probably ought to answer.  I hate PvP.  I am not competitive, I have no interest in the kind of childish dick-waving nonsense I see in a lot of PvP.  I'm playing a game to have fun.  I don't want a bunch of immature little ganking twits running around attacking people at random, following you around and laughing if they win, seeking revenge with friends if they lose.  It's just not a community I want anything whatsoever to do with.

If you want to play PvP, knock yourself out.  Just leave me completely out of it.

This is how I feel about PvP in current MMO's.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Kuinn

I dont like forced PvP in games that has huge gear differences and passive power levels (every themepark) because it's not up to me or my skill if I win or loose when 10 levels higher bad comes at me with full epics.

I enjoy the PvP at max level against same level people until it gets off hands and becomes a stupid arms race soon after launch and with every patch, with mind blowing slave labor to get on par with others getting gibbed by bads if you dont keep up all the time or want to make a new char.

I love PvP, I just wish we had a mmorpg that has no passive power-levels and the gear differences are not so huge. Planetside 2 is not a mmorpg, but it has a good example of gear system that I like, the gear has differences but you can kill other player with any weapon and with any upgrades.

I've pretty much given up on themeparks because they really and simply are just... Stupid. Stupid gear race with no other point or fun to be had in them. Gear and level dictating where you can go and what you can do, just to get to the next "tier" ewwwh... This is usually true for PvP in them too. I'm tired of playing stupid games that only try to put a leash and a collar on you.

/rant

You need to take a serious look at GW2 then for PvP. The arena style automatically makes everyone equal in terms of level and gear, and even WvW scales lower levels up to max level. Gear changes are marginal at best.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KeilaniKeilani Member Posts: 17

I dislike PVP because: 

1. In a lot of games there is open world PK. You're doing your thing, earning your, already difficult to gain, exp and then some as*holes decide to kill you and let you lose that exp.

2. PVP caused a lot of drama in every game I played. Kids who lost shouting out that you are a haxor just because you happened to be e bit better or when you lose they can't win with dignity but have to rub it into your face. I'm cool with both, losing and winning, but I always am like "Good match, we have to redo it once again someday :)".

3. I don't strive to have the best gears in a game. I strive to have mediocre gears but to hit a lvl cap. And if people start telling me that's not the way PVP works and I say "I don't care" and they still don't understand then I don't know what else will make them understand. For me mmos aren't all about PVP, I'm a PVE'er, I enjoy PVE more than PVP. It's not that difficult to understand, isn't it?

4. I play games to relax, not to have an adrenalin rush. If I wanted an adrenalin rush I'd go to the Theme Park nearby and take their best rollercoaster. 

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

For me, if it's done like Age of Wushu, then i'm okay because there regulations in order to keep people from going wild with the killing, sure every now and then you come across a purple name person, but they are usually so careful not to make noise or busy fighting people near their power they don't have time to start killing others not doing anything to them. In which case open PvP is fine sure it sucks if you get attacked but considering they can't go wild with it.  I'm okay with that even getting killed by higher levels. The other bit is again in Age of Wushu, you can at least attempt to get away or avoid these people if they cause problems, go to another town, run up a building hide in corners.

What I don't like about open PvP is how it is done in most others games, is they operate in the exact opposite way to the above.

While you still get killed instantly from time to time, theres no penality to the other side for doing so, in fact they are sometimes rewaded for going wild and killing everyone in their path regardless of level (because it's based on number of kills and no counting of what level they are), but more importantly theres no getting away from them.

I take Rift for example, I played as a Defiant, I liked how every so often a level 15 or so would come in and would pick a fight and sometimes I'd go out looking for Guardians who are in the area.  This felt like real PvP to me, sometimes I'd win sometimes I'd lose. Sometimes a really high level would come through but they run the risk of another high level coming through, but in the end you'd hear where they were and could simply go somewhere else and close Rifts.

That is until i got to Stonefield. That area consists of one giant tunnel with small open areas. The design of the game is that you complete quests to gain xp, which means you must complete these quests, otherwise you fall behind everyone else because you are running at EQ speed of leveling).  In the PvP the way they have it set up, it's basically you instant die at random times, you can't avoid this through good use of skill, you can't hide (because they look everywhere and watch for player tags and beeline to them, and because the area is so narrow and you can't run up anything (like in Wushu) you are stuck in that valley, and good luck trying to kill someone or get away when they outlevel you by 3 times the amount, and they stay in that hunting area because it's free kills to them, they can usually get someone who is in the middle of killing a monster and just wipe em out because they know you aren't moving and your attention is directed.

The above situation is good pvp rule sets, the one below is not. Problem, most games use the below ruleset not the above. Which I will now turn back to BC, this is the reason you probably don't understand why, you are playing a game where PvP makes sense and you can use tactics to avoid said characters and it has rules in store for people who go wild, most people who say they hate PvP come from the other games where it's not done right.

Does that make some sense now? People don't like getting randomly killed and having no way to even stop it. It's bad game design if you are thinking on PvP terms. It's like playing a FF game and while killing monsters for Gil and xp, a fight starts and it instantly uses something like knights of the round and kills your entire party.  Theres no telling when this will happen or what causes it and it's not a boss fight, it's just random.

I don't remember where i heard it but i remember someone saying as much as you want to wow the player the don't put a dragon right when they start because they will just get instantly wiped out and that isn't fun. Same reasoning here.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

The main reason why I hate PvP especially world PvP is it's pointless nature. Taking games such as WoW, Rift or an EQ2 pvp server my character can essentially have tens of hundreds of THOUSANDS of kills. What does that mean in game? Often times nothing at all. Maybe at best shiny new item or something that I'll end up replacing before long. What bothers me is the fact that in no way, does the game care that xxJimslayerxx pvp'd xxBoxMoffinHairDoxx while he was questing. It's an artificial content block imposed by players onto other players. Essentially by PvPing me, you are wasting my time, the time that I rarely have to even sit down and play a game (or have a game worth playing). Sometimes I feel I should charge my hourly rate for the duration someone is involuntarily pvping me.

Much like the dozens of themepark MMO's we've had over the last year, we now have themepark pvp. It is boring, shallow, and just as pointless as playing a FPS. The only example of 'good' pvp I can give you, is the extremist EVE Online PvP. When people get murdered or entire wars break out. It is over something! I can salvage your ship, I want you to gtfo out of my space, I want your bounty, and so on.

Looting PvP examples aside, the reasoning why the majority of us hate pvp is because in its most current state it is meaningless. If there was meaningful PvP provided in such a way where we can opt in to pvp by lets say a 'contested zone' or by 'lower security' zones where we knowingly assume the risks of that location, or if those risks are appropriately balanced by matching PvE gains such as rarer materials or experience that would make people more willing to protect or capture. Which would take us past the simple and outdated "Lets murder everything because I can" mentality.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    I enjoy pvp; I just dislike non-consensual/ enforced pvp.  The reason is quite simple, I dislike having to do anything against my will.  If I was forced to play hop-scotch every time I left my house I would start to hate hop-scotch.  
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Darkfall 1 there was always a guy who grief players constantly in towns where he could debuff you from distance and let a other clan mate quickly kill you  and when his mate died from towers he quickly loot his corpse and victem corpse and they had no losss always done this when players where alone cowards.

So i waited patiently untill he was going out of town for some hunt and he was on mobs and i knew he had alot of loot after while i killed him this way several times for weeks in diffwerent situations he rage like crazy you know go in general saying i was carebear noob asshole whatever.

I personal griefed him so much he eventually quit vicotory was mine and felt very good.

You can offcorse believe me or not but this realy happen and ive learn this mainly from playing Asheron's call 2 Darktide alot as ANTI we always hunted down lowbee killers pkers/gankers.

This is what should happen in games players who hate gankers form hunt groups who hunt down griefers.

This is how these games should be played instead of whine and cry hunt the evil down untill they cry.

Its also alot fun and satisfaction.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by bcbully

It's not like you die IRL. It's a game sometimes you win sometimes you lose.  Is it because -

You lose a lot?

You can't get better?

It's scary?

To much adrenalin? 

It makes you angry?

PvP'rs are mean?

Outside of "I just don't like it" which is not an explanation, this is what I ask myself when I hear someone say "I wish there was no pvp" 

I mean to me PVP is the pinnacle off multiplayer gaming. You test your skills against mine. We use what we found in the world and see if it works. 

Why, please tell me. Maybe developers have done studies and stuff, but I haven't, I really don't get it.

Update - Top reasons

Lack of time

Mean player/ Nasty attitudes 

Not a competitive person

OBSERVATION - Every scenario given by those against PvP involves being the person that gets killed. Check it out for yourself. 

There's some really good stuff in here Thank you to those who are giving their time.

edit- they red text is not meant to demean. It's an observation, a true observation. If we reach the heart of the problem maybe it can be fixed. I made the observation text smaller and changed it back to white from red, for sake of civility 

Many people don't like PvP because they don't like to look over their shoulders all the time for other players. Others have had experiences in previous games, where all they did was get killed constantly when they were new to the game.

In one game, I played, for example, I was killing a boss mob solo. When the boss got to 10% HP, then I got ganked by someone who then finished the boss and got credit, I got none.

Another game I played, where you could 'opt out of PvP' really didn't have that because if you did anything against NPC's, your flag was turned on. Also there was a bug in the game where other players could turn it on for you.

I will play PvP if it is separate from the PvE world. I will NOT play a game where you have to do both in the same area. For me it breaks the immersion of playing PvE.

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234

I dont hate pvp i hate FORCED pvp i  sometimes just want to chillax, and not deal with pvp  drama queens, u r notleet die in a fire ect ctera, someone stealing a spawn.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I don't hate PvP.  I don't even hate forced PvP.  Shadowbane was fun to an extent.  DAoC was great, as was Warhammer (in some regards).

What I hate is:

• Unbalanced PvP:  Nuff Said.
    • Arena PvP:  Arenas are boring, and tend to make class imbalances far more apparent.  I prefer large scale battles.
    • Rock-Paper-Scissors PvP:  I don't want a class that I can beat every time or a class that can beat me every time.  All classes should have a fair chance against each other.  It should be based upon skill, not i-win buttons.
    • PvP as an afterthought: Devs that add PvP to a game as an appeasement to the PvP community need to be tar and feathered.  PvP needs to either be put in immediately, or not at all.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • GrumblismGrumblism Member Posts: 4

They are different games. I play them very differently.

On pvp server I don't travel alone often. If I am forced to travel alone I don't use major routes. I stay under the radar when levelling, I will not help people in chat. I don't gank but I don't run. If beaten, I never go back to the same place I will go to a different place or take a different route. Basically until I level or I am with my guild/group I am a grey man. Avoiding trouble and taking names for revenge or avoidance. I tend to stand with anti-PK guilds or the legal aspect of the game chasing red/dead. I am playing with and against other people. 

On pve server I play against the devs. The world that they created and the monsters therein. I tend to follow the rule-set of the game. I'll use roads, I'll use chat, I'll use groups to defeat difficult content and I'll attempt to make as many contacts with like minded people when levelling as I can. I tend to stand with end game guilds determined to see the whole content of the game. I am playing with people against the game.

This is the main reason. They are very different games. Even if playing the same game you change the rule-set from pve to pvp and it changes the way you play. Trying to play a pvp ruleset with a pve mindset is not a good idea.

There are other reasons that other people have touched upon. It can be unpleasant to have your gameplay dictated to by others. It can get frustrating (and embarassing) if you keep getting your bottom kicked every time you are ganked (which is not as often as people indicate). I often used to think there were more muppets in pvp but to be honest I think its equal the difference is that in pve I can choose not to have them in my game whereas in pvp they might be sitting on my face.

I now prefer pve games. But who knows next year I might swing back to pvp. I am glad that there are two rule sets. It gives me 2 different games.

• LarsjexLarsjex Member Posts: 11

I've had mixed feelings with PvP, really.

In the beginning of my MMO "career" I really hated it (in Ultima Online Felucca). I was one of the people that was thrilled when Trammel came. I did, however, much enjoy doing the guilds vs guilds PvP in the roleplaying guilds on the Europa server. It had... purpose, I suppose?

I do try to play all aspects of the game, and warfronts/zones/whatevernamethenextdeveloperchoosesforit are a good break from dull PvE content.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    I live for the Story and the questing with my friends without the disruption of someone trying to gank you. I don't Hate PvP per say, I just hate Free for all PvP. I loved the RvR in DAoC and the PvP in GW2 but To Me the rest is just to see how big a D-Bag someone can be.

• GaeluianGaeluian Member UncommonPosts: 114

I hate PVPcause I have yet to meet a friendly community since SWG. WoW's chat is horrible, but, SWTOR is worse. Every MMO between is just bad. I just can't stand the other players. Every group I've had in SWTOR was with people who were either behaving like 10 year olds or were flat out jerks. Even in EQ2 was bad.

It's usually just my wife and I, or, if I'm really lucky, I'll join a decent guild. But, that's rare.

Yes, I hate PVP it should just be abandoned as a feature of MMO's or at least, make it voluntary. Why force it on someone who doesn't want it?

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

The only time I really don't like PVP is when gear is a major factor on who wins.   Sadly there are still some games with PVP that allow gear, rather it be raid gear or gear with specific PVP stats, to have more influence over the fight instead of player skill.  Luckily for other PVP'ers that think like me there is GW2.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• CountSchmidtCountSchmidt Member Posts: 5
    I believe it's because they don't enjoy being completely dominated as opposed to an NPC, in which they can take their time and usually a typical NPC is not a big deal to take care of. This is just such an easy fix for developers, all their games need are PVP and non-PVP servers...  There shouldn't be these big debates about whether or a not a game should have open-world PVP or not, just make the two different servers and the problem is solved. Also, developers need to reincorporate good/evil alignment so that if you gank someone continuously you won't be able to have as many interactions in some towns, or even be able to go into some towns or zones without guards attacking you... I don't see what's so hard about that. And a good/evil alignment would not be hard to implement.
  • SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

While I like PVE I prefer PVP.

I like grouping, hunting for items/crafting materials and participating in raids during PVE to attain items that will bolster my PVP experience. With PVP I like the 'uncertainty' of a human opponent. This is probably why I loved DAoC so much because I was able to PVE and PVP. 

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

When I go to a restaurant, I don't want to be forced to eat green beans. Now, I like green beans well enough, but I want to eat them when *I* want to eat them, not when some yahoo waiter decides to force them on me.

PvP is like that. It's fun, challenging, and even nerve-wracking. But I want to choose when I do it. Any game that forces PvP on you, will be a niche game with few players.

The DAOC model is the best: big PvE zones and big PvP zones. So a player can pick what he wants to do for his game session. Maybe prospect, craft, kill some mobs, explore, build a house. Or try to win that shiny sword from a named Boss. Or, PvP.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by olepi

When I go to a restaurant, I don't want to be forced to eat green beans. Now, I like green beans well enough, but I want to eat them when *I* want to eat them, not when some yahoo waiter decides to force them on me.

PvP is like that. It's fun, challenging, and even nerve-wracking. But I want to choose when I do it. Any game that forces PvP on you, will be a niche game with few players.

The DAOC model is the best: big PvE zones and big PvP zones. So a player can pick what he wants to do for his game session. Maybe prospect, craft, kill some mobs, explore, build a house. Or try to win that shiny sword from a named Boss. Or, PvP.

Exactly this.  Imagine if you played a game where you were forced to farm copper nodes every 15 minutes or your character died.  I wouldn't play that game, just as I won't play a game with non-consensual pvp.  

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by CountSchmidt
    I believe it's because they don't enjoy being completely dominated as opposed to an NPC, in which they can take their time and usually a typical NPC is not a big deal to take care of. This is just such an easy fix for developers, all their games need are PVP and non-PVP servers...  There shouldn't be these big debates about whether or a not a game should have open-world PVP or not, just make the two different servers and the problem is solved. Also, developers need to reincorporate good/evil alignment so that if you gank someone continuously you won't be able to have as many interactions in some towns, or even be able to go into some towns or zones without guards attacking you... I don't see what's so hard about that. And a good/evil alignment would not be hard to implement.

I believe the Topic is  Please tell me why you hate PVP so Much. I just don't understand.  NOT  Please tell me why you think others hate PVP so Much. I just don't understand.

Your view is completely wrong. and that's why they asked the people who hate it.