Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So let me get this straight, the new patch features another "limited" dungeon?

Comments

• JappaxxJappaxx Member Posts: 3
     more content to skip..... game gettin duller every time...
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Jappaxx

I can't imagine a game out there that wouldn't be dull if you skipped all their content. 

Personally I'm looking forwards to what I'm hearing is an extremely challenging dungeon.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    This short life content with the living story is why my wife and stopped playing. 
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Volkon

I can't imagine a game out there that wouldn't be dull if you skipped all their content. 

Personally I'm looking forwards to what I'm hearing is an extremely challenging dungeon.

Challenge is an understatement.  Bring guildmates and friends, don't skip on the VOIP.  You'll need to communicate very well on the mid-boss and the end-boss (use tons of speed boosts and heals on that last one).  

But fun?  HELL YA!  Even a 2 and 1/2 hour run with a PUG yesterday was extremely fun,....not joking.  There were some hilarious parts, like how 3 of us died at the steam piston jumps at the same time, or how the lightning killed us all the bridge while trying to rez just one guy.   It's a blast.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    This short life content with the living story is why my wife and stopped playing.

You and your wife are missing out. Apparently neither of you like/enjoy new content with your games and want what? The same-old, same-old?  The content is making the game feel far much more of a living world, a progressing story which the players experience  as it changes from chapter to chapter.  Something that doesn't get stale because it stays there 6 months, 12 months, 2 years down the line.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Siphaed

Challenge is an understatement.  Bring guildmates and friends, don't skip on the VOIP.  You'll need to communicate very well on the mid-boss and the end-boss (use tons of speed boosts and heals on that last one).  

But fun?  HELL YA!  Even a 2 and 1/2 hour run with a PUG yesterday was extremely fun,....not joking.  There were some hilarious parts, like how 3 of us died at the steam piston jumps at the same time, or how the lightning killed us all the bridge while trying to rez just one guy.   It's a blast.

You and your wife are missing out. Apparently neither of you like/enjoy new content with your games and want what? The same-old, same-old?  The content is making the game feel far much more of a living world, a progressing story which the players experience  as it changes from chapter to chapter.  Something that doesn't get stale because it stays there 6 months, 12 months, 2 years down the line.

So why exactly are they missing out? I m guessing because you say so. Same-old same-old is exactly what GW2 is everytime you log in, "Living story" or not. I personally think it s one of the stupidest ideas yet. People that have to travek etc for work, and can t access a comp or are just too busy, miss out. Lol how dumb. Besides the couple I did was an absolute joke. If you want a living story, make it last, 1-2 days it s done, then back to those oh so dynamic events.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Well of course it's "limited".  What sense is there for it to remain after the main boss has been beaten in the main story if the point of the dungeon is to beat the main boss?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi
    Originally posted by YouSama
    Guild Wars 2 is not your conventional MMO so stop viewing it as such. Limited time dungeons are implemented in order to leave a feeling of a mutated and constantly changing world - which was, as far as I recall, one of their primary goals, pre-release. If they thought it was a waste of resources, I'm pretty sure they would've changed their way of doing things by now, since they have pretty capable heads over at their HQ.

^THIS

Doesn't change the fact that it turns some gamers off.  I hope the benefit is worth the cost.  Doesn't matter to me, since I don't like the game to begin with, but I would be one of the people who would be questioning such a philosophy.

Originally posted by Siphaed

Thats the problem... we are missing out, even when we play. Guess where my wife and I are on with the 1st chapter of the living story? Talk to the last guy to get the reward. We played way more then we normally do and could not get the content done in time to get the rewards. So as a casual gamer I need more time to get things done. So when I log in and see new content I am not going to get done and get the reward I ask myself "Why bother starting?"

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

I think the limited dungeons make sense if the world is supposed to be an evolving place.  If certain events shape the world and change it forever then these dungeons should keep existing after these events are part of the past.

and on a side note, the only thing that the dungeons did for me in gw2 was remind me how much I love the holy trinity lol.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    I'm also getting a bit sick of it, so much so that I really don't want to log in for new events anymore.  There is no reason they can't keep this content around for the long term.  I also have a problem with how grindy these events are for the achievements.  Each "event" achievement consists of mindless clicking of things in Lion's Arch daily, grinding X event achievements, doing the minigames (which also should be long term), and maybe one or two actual achievements like the Mad King Jumping Puzzle.  I wouldn't mind it so much if the content wasn't temporary and I could experience it on my own time, but forcing me to grind for new stuff in a limited period of time just makes me not want to log on as grinding out temporary content over and over isn't a very efficient use of my time. 
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    You are supposed to forge your own story in an mmorpg not be spoon fed one.

And how does that really work? I'm really interrested in hearing your thoughts on the matter.

Something like this I would imagine:

http://www.keenandgraev.com/2013/06/25/myeqstory

You can do that in anygame, RP you way thrue whatever fantasy story you can come up with, that is not what the guy quoted was refearing to.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by 1vald2

I dunno about the "living world" argument that's being thrown around like dirt, but to me a living world is where there is player-created content and story. This though, is a step towards the right direction. I would rather have this than the old static WoW-Clone. 

Of course the next step might be to add some sandbox elements. This will never happen with GW2 sadly. At least future MMOs can build upon GW2's (great) idea!  image

Sorry the problem with player-created content is much of the time it doesn't fit into the world lore. It is more like a player says, "Hey! I want to do X!" and puts it in. Look at Neverwinter as an example - the player created content feels rushed and not in the lore of the Neverwinter Universe.

Who cares about Sandbox elements - that is a crutch. 

Originally posted by bingbongbros

I think the limited dungeons make sense if the world is supposed to be an evolving place.  If certain events shape the world and change it forever then these dungeons should keep existing after these events are part of the past.

and on a side note, the only thing that the dungeons did for me in gw2 was remind me how much I love the holy trinity lol.

Ya I never knew I would miss it as well.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Two weeks seem a bit short. I would rather the cycle be a month or two to give people enough time to run the dungeons multiple times. I miss the Molten Facility dungeon!

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154

Agreed, never have I been so excited to play a true support/healer role or even a tank than since the absence the trinity.  It creates a since of utility and team specialization unique to the jack of all trades skill set games (although that may be a specific specialization in a game with the trinity).

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

This thread confuses me, you have almost 2 months to experience the content, what is the problem? If it doesn't excite you enough to get on and play during that time, this its probably not the game for you. 

People always talk about wanting living breathing wworlds that change, well this is there attempt to do that.  My problem with GW2 is that there isn't more stuff like this. I'd love tosee some of the permanent dungeons disappear. I"d love to see some things change to reflect the forward progress of the story.  There was a cool youtube video where the guy had a good idea to have different severs for different stages of the story. Loved that idea. 

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by jskeets916

Agreed, never have I been so excited to play a true support/healer role or even a tank than since the absence the trinity.  It creates a since of utility and team specialization unique to the jack of all trades skill set games (although that may be a specific specialization in a game with the trinity).

It was so hard for me to go back to that archaic system. I found myyself just standing there and looking at numbers instead of playing the game. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

This way of delivering just doesn't work for me. I don't buy the fact that they do it in order to keep the world fresh and to prevent the content from becoming stale. This is a ridiculous argument. I never get to play the damn content anyway as it is as they make it limited for like a week or two. 

This is one of the major reasons I lost interest in this game. They simply don't expand their game in a meaningful way. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by fivoroth

This way of delivering just doesn't work for me. I don't buy the fact that they do it in order to keep the world fresh and to prevent the content from becoming stale. This is a ridiculous argument. I never get to play the damn content anyway as it is as they make it limited for like a week or two. 

This is one of the major reasons I lost interest in this game. They simply don't expand their game in a meaningful way. 

You may find the argument ridiculous, but it's still a stated fact. It is, by design and intent, a method of delivery that will cycle content through what they call a "living, breathing world". Look up a few posts... someone posted that they miss the Molten Forge Facility dungeon. That is exactly the desired effect they want. Content that, if you were there at the time, you remember and can tell stories about. Again, look at the old, dried up dungeons in other MMOs that used to be "end game" content but now sit empty and forgotten. Clutter. They don't want that. 

I disagree (surprise!) that this doesn't expand the game in a meaningful way. To me, each new content release/removal is expanding it in a more meaningful way than other game because of the continuing story and temporary nature of it. You get caught up in the progression of the game itself, not just your individual characters. I want to know what's happening in the world, not how I can tweak an extra point of dps or bump up my gear score. "Meaningful way" is an opinion. What has meaning to you won't necessarily have meaning to someone else. But the fact that you're still hear talking about GW2 indicates you haven't lost as much interest as you'd like others to believe.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by dontadow
    Originally posted by jskeets916

It was so hard for me to go back to that archaic system. I found myyself just standing there and looking at numbers instead of playing the game. 

Agreed. Having such a blast playing a support Ele, trying to play traditional healer seems like torture.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

As other's have mentioned, it's funny how people complain about the dungeon being temporary after they've long complained that they get sick of the same content for months on end from previous MMOGs.

The real reason these are temporary is because the game doesn't have a standard linear gear advancement system so temporary content allows people to put work into getting unique skins (gear in any other game) that has interestng looks that only so many will manage to obtain so they can show off their unique looks over time.

A number of these dungeons FYI will be making their way to Fractals apparently.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

A pretty good size chunk of the playerbase has been groaning more and more over displeasure with temporary content. So I definitely appreciate the sentiment of dismay or disgust that they are doing it again this month.

The Living Story is a failure at producing a Living World. It's smoke and mirrors meant to detract from the lack of meaningful content in these monthly updates. That most of the real content is temporary just makes things worse. Events that don't actually change the world or add permanent new content are doing nothing of any long term benefit for the game.

I started actively posting in support of this game back in 2010 and I have around 1600 hours logged since launch over two accounts. I am a fan. However, I'm not going to let being a fan keep me from criticizing the game and the developers when criticism is due.

IMO, the Living Story has been the biggest waste of Arenanet development resources one could imagine. Colin told us last fall that they would be adding new Dynamic Events to every zone on an ongoing basis as part of the free content updates. He even bragged that we may see a doubling or tripling of DEs by the end of year one, with new DEs rotating in or out with existing ones, to make the world feel like an ever changing, Living World. Instead, we got Living Story, which is pathetically short on actual story and at least 95% sparse, temporary content that has done nothing to make the world feel like a Living one.

Rather than devoting development time to adding lasting content that slowly changes the game over time, we've gotten the equivalent of Holiday Decorations, commercialized fluff pieces that go on display for a brief time before going back into storage or finding their way into the trash bin.

The lack of direction and productivity on the part of Anet over the past 10 months has been sad to witness and threatens the great potential this game possesses. That is said as a true fan who knows that recognizing the truth is an important first step in saving the future of this incredible game.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Fion

As other's have mentioned, it's funny how people complain about the dungeon being temporary after they've long complained that they get sick of the same content for months on end from previous MMOGs.

The real reason these are temporary is because the game doesn't have a standard linear gear advancement system so temporary content allows people to put work into getting unique skins (gear in any other game) that has interestng looks that only so many will manage to obtain so they can show off their unique looks over time.

A number of these dungeons FYI will be making their way to Fractals apparently.

I find that the most convoluted justification of bad game design I've seen in a while. We have permanent dungeons with their own armor skins that people can work at over time to achieve. That they are permanent hasn't made those skins anything more than rare appearances on players in the game world. This notion that limited time, hard to obtain "special snowflake" rewards are in any way a proper and efficient use of development resources is mind boggling to me.

Variety of skins and a degree of effort to obtain some of those skins are enough to preserve diversity of appearance in the game. Limited time, temporary content justified as a mechanism of providing limited time, difficult to obtain skins is a failure of game design on all levels.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

From what I understand, or atleast the smartest way they could go about it, is that they are using the living story dungeons as temp content up until a much larger permanent content patch.  Taken from their site, they said to have a large roadmap for the game being introduced to the community on july 2nd.   In addition, when I was watching their stream, one of the staff members hinted towards it.   

I'd enjoy the patch and balances, and look forward to July 2nd.  Cautious at the moment, but optimistic.  

Gonna quote my own comment here because I think a lot of people missed it, definitly hit up their main site on July 2nd for what hopefully will be a solid preview of content to come.  If you go to the main site and click releases there is a coming soon section. We shall see.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I can understand their reasoning about how it ties in with the so called living story. But I don't care for temporary content. I look at the patch notes now and then in search for newly added features that will flesh out the game. But too much (for my taste obviously) is about temporary content.

To me: 

guildhalls > any amount of temporary dungeons schmungeons.

guild vs guild > whatever temporary content

no player culling in cities > any new event that makes you visit the cities (because the player culling spoils it for me)

Personally I don't like the dungeons much in GW2. They feel too artificially made spefically for puzzles and weird spawnlocations. Very arcady (if that is a word). And I happen to like action games, but for some reason not like this in dungeons, so meh.

But then, thats just me. GW1 was my game, GW2 apparently not (yet? ).