Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One problem with The Secret World

2»

Comments

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Squeak69

I wouldn't have as muc of a issue if it wasn't a pain to make a buuld that could handle mobs of creatures several level lower then you and be able to handle single powerful mobs of the same level it seems that unless you followed a specific power build you couldn't handle both which meant soloing was a giant pain .

You can build and store multiple decks of abilities, gear and weapons. You can switch from one to another with a key-press and a couple mouse clicks as long as you are not in active combat. I really don't see your problem.

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112

Mob density as a problem?  Hmmm....

I remember thinking 'Wow, there's a lot of zombies out there!' at one point, then I thought back to the 'zombie apocalypse' movies I've seen and realized that in these movies (and 'The Walking Dead') the landscape was literally crawling with undead, even in small towns.  By comparison, the zombie density in Kingsmouth wasn't nearly so overwhelming.  I always thought the crowds of zombies crouched around dead bodies in the zone was a really nice touch - plus it helps in AoE attacks.

As for fighting through mobs to get to mission objectives... well there are very few MMOs out there that don't force you to do that.  It's a paradigm of the design.

And as far as the combat animations/skill wheel complaints... nah, those topics have already been beaten into Elmer's Glue.

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by faiyo
    Originally posted by Pekish79

the game doesn't favor rushing from one point to another and the world is made to be dangerous

what you see as a cons is a pro for everybody that actually play it

1 game cannot please everybody many people want opposite things

Yeah, I like a little frustration. It looks better than some goofy looking mob sitting in a random corner, waiting for you to step near it lol. I love the game, but there are bigger problems than this. That Anima well tidbit for example.

I honestly think threads like this, the mindset, is why we get so many so-called wow clones. The little things people complain about that's outside of the MMO norm is disappointing.

Also, there are plenty of people playing this game, so drop the hate.

Anima well tidbit? Excuse me?

"Remember that you can also travel via anima well.  Hit /reset, then pick the well where you want to rez.  You can save pax for gear repair by unequipping/re-equipping gear before/after." - I was referring to what was said on the first page. II seems so lazy and exploity. (no offense to the poster) and I wish funcom would fix that..

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Havent played in the longest but I ran through this game solo and remember 1 mob being difficult. The ones in the swamp that go op when you apply a certain condition were a pain, rest was pretty easy to get past. I'm not going to turn this into a mini review so I'll leave it at that and just say learn how to maneuver...
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Swamp in transylvania or in savage coast? Coz, I'd swear that swamp in sav coast is out of whack. I am not talking bout the lair, but a single patch of lair diff mobs in middle of nowhere. They are...O.o.

Omg, this fu... swamp at the blue mountains with the shades that pull you inside and have about 3 miles aggro range?

I hated and loved it at the same time. Hated it because of the two above mentioned things, but loved it for the great atmosphere and the challenge it was.

Hodor!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    If mob is unrelenting and aggressive ?they re defending something(their food supply most likely(in this case human)most of the time you can kite or it will be a long distance .this I love why?it force player to use their brain .I played gw2and tsw is way better.it has it all and more I just bought episode 7.sadly I'm a worker also so tsw might need to organize a system so once a week ayer can meet up.like I all be online Friday the 13 1988.aside from this ?best game I ever played since my 7 years in wow.but it isn't easy at time !why?because you meet build that are perfect counter to your build!so you either had another build (perfect)or you will have to grind to dust those zombie(fairly lengthy process)but with proper build ?you can almost one hit them.with their natural enemy build?you all feel like you re gathering cloud with an atomic spoon.(one atom at a time.my advice?use your brain.
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Swamp in transylvania or in savage coast? Coz, I'd swear that swamp in sav coast is out of whack. I am not talking bout the lair, but a single patch of lair diff mobs in middle of nowhere. They are...O.o.

As to the anima well gimmick, yeah. I'd wish they'd patch that as well. But I think that Joel said that's how it's meant to be and that it is the easiest way to navigate through mazes like City of Sun god. To me it's a bug, but from the lore side-it could work yeah. It'd be "assuming anima form"<-sth like Druid forms in WoW. Then again, is lore more important or is polish more important? Who am I to judge that(lore imo, but nvm)...?

When I think about it, yeah, one could see it as part of the lore, but I've always thought the only way to take on the anima form was to die.. maybe I'm wrong, since I'm not too far into the game, but all I can think of is my character killing herself contently just to assume the form which is disturbing lol. If that was how it was supposed to be though, I wouldn't mind it.. I just wish it wasn't triggered by a chat command and you could just teleport to those anima points GW2 style. The maps are large in both games, so it'd make sense, and it'd look less like a lazy way out.

As for the Moon Bog (Swamp in Blue mountain) that someone else mentioned, haha, I like the shadow mobs that grab you, it just ads to the element of surprise and fits right into the atmosphere. And don't forget that giant spider-like thing...

I'm really impressed by the mob placement/aggro in the game really, even if there are some areas where I've ragequit.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Erow

I went back to TSW for awhile lately and I realized why I left before.  There are just too may mobs running loose in the game world that  hinder mission goals.  I almost reminds me of the crowded mob situation in Asheron's Call.  Thin them out some!

It is frustrating as hell to have to stop every 20 steps to kill stupid aggro mobs just to get from point A to point B.

How about the fact that the developers don't take the title seriously?  Why would you have pvp between three factions in a battleground, and then a pve get together otherwise where everyone can just hang out?

Nonsense.

Originally posted by Comaf
    Originally posted by Erow

I went back to TSW for awhile lately and I realized why I left before.  There are just too may mobs running loose in the game world that  hinder mission goals.  I almost reminds me of the crowded mob situation in Asheron's Call.  Thin them out some!

It is frustrating as hell to have to stop every 20 steps to kill stupid aggro mobs just to get from point A to point B.

How about the fact that the developers don't take the title seriously?  Why would you have pvp between three factions in a battleground, and then a pve get together otherwise where everyone can just hang out?

Nonsense.

You really expect there to be tension 24/7? Oh come on, in the end it's just another social mmo but people still have pride in their factions when it comes to the story. Go to wow if you want srs business immersion all the time.

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

The game is a real mixed bag in this regards, Kingstown has wide open roads you can easily run around getting stuff done, but the later areas increasingly become mazes with to many mobs. The swamp in the 3rd area is small but annoying hard.

And while some players desire a though constant fight where they scrape by with a sliver of health a LOT of people are like me and just want to unwind at the end of a day. Kingsmouth does that.,.. but I played it WAAAY to often. I stopped playing when I found myself alone in a dungeon in the last vampire area, with a maze with very hard enemies standing on grates. I fought one, looked at the room at how many remained and quit.

To me it is the village run from SWG, I did the math, saw how many runs I had to do, and stopped doing them. I calculated the requirement to equip all my alts in Lotro with gated gear, and I quit. I saw the cost of legendary weapons in GW2 and I only do dailies and some low events just to blast something for half an hour.

It is NOT that I did not enjoy TSW, I did. And then I mastered the combat and found nothing beneath the surface except mobs that hit to hard with to much health making each fight drag out beyond the point of me having fun.

And that to me is the reason to play a game. To have fun. My day job challenges me, I game to have a bit of light entertainment. Kingsmouth is that. Later areas are not.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Jasper300

My issue with TSW was the community..

Everyone seemed very rude and anti-social..

It is like nearly impossible to start a party

Yeah this is something I definitely noticed, if you aren't in Agartha forming groups for nightmares chat was practically dead.  Even getting a group together in Savage Coast to kill a tough mob took me 3 or 4 days during primetime :/

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

In most games you kill loads of mobs as an objective for quests. Kill 10 goblins. Collect wolf pelts etc. etc.

Whilst TSW is very light on kill quests. Instead you end up meeting monsters as you're moving around because they are in the way. What's the problem? The grind isn't any worse than other games.

I prefer the TSW system. The way combat breaks out feels more natural for a horror game (the monsters are out to get the character, not the other way round). It also gives more opportunity for skill (since a good player will advoid mobs better, and hence get through missions faster).

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

I love how The Secret World works.  Mobs are dangerous, and they should be.  I have noticed that I think mobs are too passive in most MMO games after playung TSW.

As for the PvP and PvE hanging out.  You do realize that the PvP between the factions is called, "The Secret War", right?

It is supposed to be behind the scenes.  The cooperation between the factions is all to make the Council of Venice feel good about itself....  Know your lore, because knowing is half the battle.  ;)

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

They fill the world with MoBs to assure there are enough to kill when there are large numbers of players, but when the numbers dwindle a single player has to deal with all the spawns trying to get from A to B.  Fighting endless groups of  MoBs isn't challenging, it is tedious.

• MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226

... and then these people learn how to sprint through spawn to get to where they're going, and everything is ok.

When you think about it, pretty simple things can have learning curves.