Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will there be any system that will differentiate our self's later on?

LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

I'm talking about a talent system, or the the current system they have with point allocation to stats that gives us passive or non passive skills. I know we have Jobs and they kinda work like that, but they're just an extension of classes and not really and talent system.

Something like Path of Exile, but maybe not to that huge extent, something that will make us different from the other thousands BLM or WHM out there.

Comments

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

I'm talking about a talent system, or the the current system they have with point allocation to stats that gives us passive or non passive skills. I know we have Jobs and they kinda work like that, but they're just an extension of classes and not really and talent system.

Other than gear, jobs, possibly merit points down the road I hope not.  I am not a fan of talent trees, I don't like to gimp myself in order to be unique.  Which means I'm either using a cookie cutter build, or trying to innovate one of my own.

I'd actually prefer not to see Merit Points in this game either.  I really can't think of a system like this that enhances gameplay rather than just being an annoying tacked on experience to separate "noobs' from people who understand the game and optimal builds. I think they are going for a more accepting and accessible community here in FFXIV, so I think that philosophy precludes "unique" and meaningful talent tree builds as a core feature.

• saiweedsaiweed Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by Murugan

Other than gear, jobs, possibly merit points down the road I hope not.  I am not a fan of talent trees, I don't like to gimp myself in order to be unique.  Which means I'm either using a cookie cutter build, or trying to innovate one of my own.

I'd actually prefer not to see Merit Points in this game either.  I really can't think of a system like this that enhances gameplay rather than just being an annoying tacked on experience to separate "noobs' from people who understand the game and optimal builds. I think they are going for a more accepting and accessible community here in FFXIV, so I think that philosophy precludes "unique" and meaningful talent tree builds as a core feature.

this ..as in almost every other mmo that lets you be ''unique'' that way the same applies to path of exile you either follow someones exact ideal build to be pro or you are unique and fucking suck d i  c k . 

its the sad truth and I do hate it but it is how it is. its no true uniqueism just a way to pull you in to eventually copy someones build after all anyway unless youre the first to make the best cookie cutter build

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    As a lancer/dragoon im not sure where to points in more.  Like should i put more in for dex for accuracy and crit or str for attack damage or try to balance out those.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Well, you can level every class on a single character..

Pretty open ended in that regard.  Seems like the Jobs system is actually the more restrictive. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Something like Path of Exile, but maybe not to that huge extent, something that will make us different from the other thousands BLM or WHM out there.

Perhaps you could make yourself stand out by exhibiting better behavior than most other gamers out there today.

Bar's pretty low right now, so wouldn't take too much effort.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by redcapp

Well, you can level every class on a single character..

Pretty open ended in that regard.  Seems like the Jobs system is actually the more restrictive. 

its like comparing a jack of all trades (classes) to a master of one trade (Job).

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154

Path of Exile has one of the most diverse and free allocating talent trees in recent history, if you do make it to max level your flexibility is extraordinary.

That being said compared to most AAA MMO's (WoW, Swtor, GW2) you are without a doubt capable of differentiating yourself in a more significant way.

As opposed to most titles like i said, you differentiate through gear only, and perhaps specializing between three skill trees.

FFXIV's system allows you to access abilities from 2 other classes + whichever job your playing.

So for example a dragoon with pugilist and archer at level 50 as will differ from someone who has just say a 50 dragoon and 50 archer, as well as the gear progression differences between the two characters.

Or you can play as the class lancer, and if you have every class level 50 you can mix and match the abilities of these classes and forgo the perks of attuning to dragoon.  Creating a unique skill set to other lancers you come across.

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by tkreep
    As a lancer/dragoon im not sure where to points in more.  Like should i put more in for dex for accuracy and crit or str for attack damage or try to balance out those.

Str, currently dex only effects ranged damage and parry/block chance

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    Originally posted by striderbob

Any idea on what all the other stats do?

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

The alternative is almost complete homogenization.  If the game doesn't even include a way for players to differentiate themselves, then everyone who plays the same class is exactly the same.  Nobody is unique.  

I feel like you're talking down a worst case scenario where a one talent setup becomes the unquestionable *strongest* option, and all other talents, while maybe cool or fun, are indisputably worse.  That's simply not always the case.  And if we're just comparing on a theoretical level, it's certainly unfair to compare a worst case scenario with one system with a good case scenario with another system.  Let's include the possibility that multiple builds for a single class may be viable and diverse.  

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928
    Instead of talent trees they allow you to pull skills from other classes/jobs and apply them to your current profession. Although Jobs are more limited than classes in what they can choose, their roles are also more defined. And from what I hear there will be more than one Job suited to each class in the future--so maybe if you are an Archer and don't want to play as a Bard you can be a Ranger instead. Or if you are a Thaum and don't want to play WHM you can play Red Mage. That's just speculation based on the release of Summoner and Scholar as possible job options for Arcanist.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I think this will improve as more jobs and classes are released.  I mean just look at FFXI they have a lot they can add in that department.
  • LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Originally posted by NetSage
    I think this will improve as more jobs and classes are released.  I mean just look at FFXI they have a lot they can add in that department.

FFXI has the merit system.

or something like this

Grid

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by k11keeper
    Originally posted by striderbob

Any idea on what all the other stats do?

Strength = attack power and block/parry %

Dexterity = ranged attack and block/parry chance

Vitality = HP

Intelligence = spell damage

Mind = healing potency

Piety = MP

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Chocobos will have a talent like system.  Aside from that we have attribute stats we increase our stats with (though not a whole lot, just enough to customize each of our preferred classes).  In addition to acquiring that coveted plot of land to build a house on.

They will also have the cosmetic things such as wearing the appearance of your favorite armor, chocobo bardings, the barbershop, etc.   Also the ability to level every class to max, which most probably won't do.  So you'll be distinguished in that light as well -- especially if you raid and have good items for each of those classes.

Then the PvP system is separate from the PvE system and you earn abilities to use and such.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Homitu

The alternative is almost complete homogenization.  If the game doesn't even include a way for players to differentiate themselves, then everyone who plays the same class is exactly the same.  Nobody is unique.  

I feel like you're talking down a worst case scenario where a one talent setup becomes the unquestionable *strongest* option, and all other talents, while maybe cool or fun, are indisputably worse.  That's simply not always the case.  And if we're just comparing on a theoretical level, it's certainly unfair to compare a worst case scenario with one system with a good case scenario with another system.  Let's include the possibility that multiple builds for a single class may be viable and diverse.  

Agreed. It's sad to see the elitist mindset that has unfortunately permeated the genre at it's core. It's honestly one of the reasons I'm thinking of just giving up on mmorpgs entirely.

If developers are going to continue to homogenize in an effort to placate the dps bean counters that infest the online gaming world these days, I'm not even going to waste my time with them anymore. Some of us don't have to turn games into an excel spreadsheet in order to enjoy them, so having options to differentiate ourselves is nothing but a positive for us, and an important one at that.

At least with a game like PoE, we have the option to do our own thing. Sure, it might not be the most optimized build, but who cares? As long as it's fun and works well enough to get the job done, that's all I care about.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

That would require them balancing for those multiple builds to keep them viable.  So then why not just add them as completely new jobs as they are planning to do?  That way you get better balance, even more differentiation in playstyle, and tons of content added as a result.

I know multiple builds can be viable, but not unlimited builds so it isn't as free as it would seem (if you care about playing with others effectively).  I think the negatives in terms of how these systems divide the community and foster both elitism and alienation within the community are not insignificant.  I'd rather have a good community where players are funneled towards a positive experience with grouping and as a result want to engage the community and be better group players.

Rather than joining their first group and finding out their talent tree has rendered them disappointing to their teammates.  That won't get them wanting to join more groups in the future. 

If you are talking solo you already have classes, and you can get a completely unique ability loadout through the armoury ability system.  More so than talent trees in most MMO's would give you.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

That would require them balancing for those multiple builds to keep them viable.  So then why not just add them as completely new jobs as they are planning to do?  That way you get better balance, even more differentiation in playstyle, and tons of content added as a result.

I know multiple builds can be viable, but not unlimited builds so it isn't as free as it would seem (if you care about playing with others effectively).  I think the negatives in terms of how these systems divide the community and foster both elitism and alienation within the community are not insignificant.  I'd rather have a good community where players are funneled towards a positive experience with grouping and as a result want to engage the community and be better group players.

Rather than joining their first group and finding out their talent tree has rendered them disappointing to their teammates.  That won't get them wanting to join more groups in the future. 

If you are talking solo you already have classes, and you can get a completely unique ability loadout through the armoury ability system.  More so than talent trees in most MMO's would give you.

^This.

"Freedom" to build a class only leads to a maximized build.  You're just trading one baseline for another.  Its retarded.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

FFXI has the merit system.

or something like this

Grid

I was talking more in just the jobs department.  There are still a good amount from the FF series not in FFXIV.

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    I dont think there are any talents unfortunately. Closest I saw were the stat point allocation and maybe a little bit of mixing or the different class abilities.

Oh and for the record, having some sort of talent system where most just follow the same cookie cutter build is waaay better than just being the same no matter what. At least the former gives players a choice. Cookie cutter "requirements" were only for "second job" guilds ive no desire in playing with anyway. Besides, in my experience if you spec smart and play to that builds strength, the differences between cookie cutter and a good custom spec were minuscule.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

I was talking more in just the jobs department.  There are still a good amount from the FF series not in FFXIV.

Don't think that helps. The idea of having any kind of unique or uncommon quality about your character really isn't all too realistic in a game with hundreds of thousands of players all having access to the exact same limited set of options as you.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    But it is not that easy to get to level up so many jobs. People will need certain jobs and as I recall from playing my red mage in FFXI you will be judged on your skill because of all the battle chain thing we did in that game. Poor players were not invited back.You can distinguish yourself by playing well in the group.
    Chamber of Chains
    Originally posted by cheyane
    But it is not that easy to get to level up so many jobs. People will need certain jobs and as I recall from playing my red mage in FFXI you will be judged on your skill because of all the battle chain thing we did in that game. Poor players were not invited back.You can distinguish yourself by playing well in the group.

True, but you can do that in any game, regardless of its character building mechanics.

gah, double post.
  • DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by cheyane

True, but you can do that in any game, regardless of its character building mechanics.

It's much easier to "hide" using alts in other MMOs. Not so much in FFXI and FFXIV. One of the greatest things about the FF MMO franchise is everyone knows everyone.

Vivik-Cerberus