Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What am I missing?

MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

I see all this hype about Star Citizen. I've seen it for over a year now. Tons of it.

I've watched the videos, read the interviews, and I love Space games. Freelancer was pretty cool.

I don't really understand Star Citizens Hype, nor why people buy 300$ packages, or how Roberts can say "pay2win" sucks, then sell OP ships in his crowd-funding campaign - and don't say they aren't, just because YOU can get them. Yes, YOU can, after months and months of toiling, tough work, and if you lose it - GONE! While these people have a Battlecruiser, day 1, and Life-time insurence, so they have nothing to lose

I know the videos are rough alphas right now, but nothing I've seen is really "Whoa" , I see a ton of posts about how it's going to revolutionize everything. I get a vibe like that episode of South Park, where everyone is going "OBaaama, CHANGE! He's gonna change everything!" That is my mental image of Star Citizen supporters right now...and I can't see why. Nothing he's said so far is new, is really that unique, it's been done before, and probably done better in other games. I see people claiming it's a MMO, when Chris Roberts has continued to say it's as much a MMO as a game like DayZ. It's not like EVE or anything.

Not to mention he has promised the Sun & Stars. It's obvious he's not going to deliver on everything he's promised - some of his promises even conflict each other, so some people are going to be let down.

So, given that I've stayed up to date on it, I'm just curious as to what am I missing? I know, space flight game wise, it's been dry for awhile...but people are hyping this more than StarCraft II, Diablo 3, ect...the hype levels are insane, and honestly, scares me away more than makes me feel better about purchasing.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

A game studio can make a mint prior to release selling an idea to MMO gamers. That is because MMO gamers seem to, moreso than any other consumer group, place what they want/hope a game will be over every and any indication of what it is or will be. History and personal experience are low riding factors in their purchase decision.

This has proven so consistent and so lucrative that we have watched, inside of just three years, the pre-order/pre-purchase/CE/VIP/founders packs move the top tier from $80 to $150 to $300.

The CU hype was a great example of it. Hundreds and hundreds of threads started here with people excited about what it *could* be. When nothing was known, people bought into what ti could be. The more that was actually known, the more the threads died down. It will continue that path clear up to Closed Beta, when people actually play what the CU actually WILL be. 

More than likely there will be no further money drives until preordering, and you can guarantee that the top tier will have content where people are buying it because of what that content *could* be or do, rather than any actual knowledge of what it is or does. 

Star Citizen is really no different. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

The difference being Star Citizen is known what it will be - and what it's about. CU was brimming because the potential people saw in it.

Star Citizen had / has a clear outline of what it will be, no real room to speculate.  Also, Star Citizen is not a true MMO as people are thinking.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

The difference being Star Citizen is known what it will be - and what it's about. CU was brimming because the potential people saw in it.

Star Citizen had / has a clear outline of what it will be, no real room to speculate.  Also, Star Citizen is not a true MMO as people are thinking.

Your post is a perfect example of what I was writing about. Thank you. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre