Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think of GW2s end game?

PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136

This issue has sort of been churning in my mind ever since I hit 80 and found out what incredibly marginal benefit ascended/legendaries had over cheap exotic.

Of course there's always WvW, SPvP, achievements and aesthetic stuff, but what about the jump of power so much of us have gotten acclimated/addicted to over the years?

I find myself in the vicious cycle of leveling to 80, quitting, leveling something else to 80 and quitting again, since the progression for me comes to a screeching halt when I can buy something nearly as powerful as the best straight from the auction house.

This definitely wasn't so much an issue when the game first launched, the slates were clean and you had relatively higher expenditures as a percentage of wealth for exotics etc., but now we're in saturated markets with people who literally have CoF, HotW and fractals down to some sort of art.

TLDR: What do you think of GW2s end game? Do you like the steep drop of marginal power increases, that is, do you mind readily obtainable gear being very close to the best in efficacy, or would you like to see something more traditional and perhaps akin to the very leveling system in this game?

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Traditional Themepark endgame has always been about improving gear. Thing is, it wasn't such a bad thing in earlier games/expansions. The progression was reasonable. I remember playing WoW back in the TBC days when I got my  Enhancement Shaman to 70 and began the attunement for Kara. I started Kara in a couple crafted Epics, a couple greens and the rest were blues. I was still able to compete. 3rd in DPs for the raid. And that was against players in full epics. Thing was, Epic gear was just that. Epic. Even most of the heroic dungeon drop epics were viable in most content except for the highest levels of progression raids. I do not remember the gear treadmill comparison being used so much back then. Not like it is now. It was during Wrath that WoW painted itself into a corner. Jeez, when the game had to put out heroic 5 man drops that were better than 20 man raid drops just so players can close the gap, your game is broken. Anyway, I don't mind a reasonable gear grind so long as what you have, while may not be the best, remains viable. The whole Ascended gear grind in itself doesn't really bother me.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    It's PvP for me.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Piechunks

This issue has sort of been churning in my mind ever since I hit 80 and found out what incredibly marginal benefit ascended/legendaries had over cheap exotic.

Of course there's always WvW, SPvP, achievements and aesthetic stuff, but what about the jump of power so much of us have gotten acclimated/addicted to over the years?

I find myself in the vicious cycle of leveling to 80, quitting, leveling something else to 80 and quitting again, since the progression for me comes to a screeching halt when I can buy something nearly as powerful as the best straight from the auction house.

This definitely wasn't so much an issue when the game first launched, the slates were clean and you had relatively higher expenditures as a percentage of wealth for exotics etc., but now we're in saturated markets with people who literally have CoF, HotW and fractals down to some sort of art.

TLDR: What do you think of GW2s end game? Do you like the steep drop of marginal power increases, that is, do you mind readily obtainable gear being very close to the best in efficacy, or would you like to see something more traditional and perhaps akin to the very leveling system in this game?

I think it's non existent but that's my opinion.  A dungeon finder, a reliable multi-group PvE focused event or 2 would go along way to fixing its faults.

With that said, loved the game for the 6 months I played but I ran out of things to do and wasn't a fan of all the developmental resources being tied to fluff pieces like living story or holiday events when that time could of been better spent creating lasting content that is meaty and fulfilling.  A change of the rigid skilsl for weapons couldn't hurt either nor could some love given to the home instance. 

With that being said I fully intend to look back in the game in say 9 to 12 months.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Honestly I like the endgame as it is, and it's going to get better. I don't like the treadmill much anymore, ain't nobody got time for that! I like to change my appearance every once in a while cause I want to. I didn't mind the gear chase till about cata in WoW, mainly cause I don't have time to raid anymore. Guild Wars 2 is perfect for me since I can log in zone hop somewhere and have fun.
  • VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    There is no endgame in GW2. You can run the same dungeons over and over for the same gear, do their so called tiny gear treadmill fractals, or jump into meaningless boring zergfest pvp, which is all on the same map. GW2 was a massive letdown and is completely boring. I hit level 80 in less then a week and had my legendary before November. After the legendary there was nothing left to do in the game, pvp didn't matter to the game for any reason, running dungeons over and over for different gear skins, yes I know the legendary was nothing more then a weapon skin as well, I got bored and was so glad they gave me a refund for my account.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

Originally posted by Vladamyre
    There is no endgame in GW2. You can run the same dungeons over and over for the same gear, do their so called tiny gear treadmill fractals, or jump into meaningless boring zergfest pvp, which is all on the same map. GW2 was a massive letdown and is completely boring. I hit level 80 in less then a week and had my legendary before November. After the legendary there was nothing left to do in the game, pvp didn't matter to the game for any reason, running dungeons over and over for different gear skins, yes I know the legendary was nothing more then a weapon skin as well, I got bored and was so glad they gave me a refund for my account.

This is the perfect example of someone with too much time.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Love it. Only thing that would improve it would be really hard pve.
    Originally posted by kabitoshin

Actually I'm a perfect example of someone that tried out every aspect of the game. Pvp was boring and dull, running around in the same 3 zones with just a different server controlling the middle was a cheap move from Anet. They could've put in a map creator that automatically created unique zones for every server when it reset.  Once you hit the max level and got a full set of exotics you basically are finished. Nothing to gain from pvp, but lots of money to be lost from doing it.  Why go back into dungeons when you have everything you need? No point in making another character because you have already finished everything you can possibly do after the first. The graphics and actual gameplay was fun, just not enough in the game to keep anyone. What I find amusing is how the devs said they used a lot of Dark Age of Camelot's design for the pvp, but yet it wasn't even close to DAoC, it was more like Failhammer.

Actually I'm a perfect example of someone that tried out every aspect of the game. Pvp was boring and dull, running around in the same 3 zones with just a different server controlling the middle was a cheap move from Anet. They could've put in a map creator that automatically created unique zones for every server when it reset.  Once you hit the max level and got a full set of exotics you basically are finished. Nothing to gain from pvp, but lots of money to be lost from doing it.  Why go back into dungeons when you have everything you need? No point in making another character because you have already finished everything you can possibly do after the first. The graphics and actual gameplay was fun, just not enough in the game to keep anyone. What I find amusing is how the devs said they used a lot of Dark Age of Camelot's design for the pvp, but yet it wasn't even close to DAoC, it was more like Failhammer.

I'm just saying you invested ALOT of time in such a short period. If you got a legendary in less than 3 months that's putting in some time. It takes an average everyday player 6 months to acquire a legendary if they got lucky and found a precursor. I can see why you got bored, and don't blame you I play it cause I don't have enough.

I'm just saying you invested ALOT of time in such a short period. If you got a legendary in less than 3 months that's putting in some time. It takes an average everyday player 6 months to acquire a legendary if they got lucky and found a precursor. I can see why you got bored, and don't blame you I play it cause I don't have enough.

I got my precursor to Twilight on the AH for 4g. I bought another 1 for 30g a week later and sold it for over 400g a month or so after that and bought everything I needed except the karma, dungeon tokens, and pvp tokens. It was pretty easy to get the legendary in the time that it took me, especially when there were probably 10k people that had already made one before I did.

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136

I got my precursor to Twilight on the AH for 4g. I bought another 1 for 30g a week later and sold it for over 400g a month or so after that and bought everything I needed except the karma, dungeon tokens, and pvp tokens. It was pretty easy to get the legendary in the time that it took me, especially when there were probably 10k people that had already made one before I did.

I can vouch for you... and so can a lot of people. If you go by guides, or are just savvy with respect to the game you can get a legendary in no time (a month of reasonable play with help from others, perhaps).

I also agree with you and the others who have said that it's nonexistent, at least compared to something like WoW.

It's however interesting to see how some people prefer this, most likely people with a lot of real life obligations (families with a lot of small children and such).

I can't blame them, but I also can't rationalize a distinct lack of appeal for dungeons/fractals with respect to progression and/or the complete lack thereof.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Where the hell did you get 30g playing very casually?  You clearly hated the game to play enough to get the karma, dungeon tokens and pvp tokens....give me a break.

OP, the "endgame" I've found in the game is playing a bunch of alts.  There isn't much else out there that isn't a full loot pvp no pve crapfest or linear quest hub themepark suckage.  This is about the only option other than TSW, which you can finish in a couple months...no alts needed.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    end game to me is when im done with a game. I dont grind end game content in mmos (not as part of my entertainment, i can do it 1 or 2 times to see new content but thats it). As for GW2, when i play i either level my low level characters either on pve or wvwvw. My log on my lvl 80s every once in a while to walk around, i dont need legendary stuff so i switch to my low lvls right away.

• DirkzenDirkzen Member Posts: 144

My first character is finally in the 70's, (Which is the longest i've ever kept playing any character in any MMO)  and I 'still' haven't seen everything there is to see, exploratory or story-wise.  Then again..  I play really slow.

Sometimes i'll log in just to do a few things here and there i've already done for the hell of it, or help some random strangers, or join one of those world event zerg rushes. 

I work a lot, and i've got videogame ADD.  I'll play the hell outta something for a week or two, then get bored and play something else.  ...but even i'm getting close to that level cap.  I'll probably just try out another character/class, and spend another year leveling that one up  :)

After that?  I dunno.

I've already got more than my $50 worth for this game in my opinion.  If I suddenly 'complete' the entire game..  I'll be satisfied with the fun i've had getting there.

Originally posted by Mardukk

Where the hell did you get 30g playing very casually?  You clearly hated the game to play enough to get the karma, dungeon tokens and pvp tokens....give me a break.

OP, the "endgame" I've found in the game is playing a bunch of alts.  There isn't much else out there that isn't a full loot pvp no pve crapfest or linear quest hub themepark suckage.  This is about the only option other than TSW, which you can finish in a couple months...no alts needed.

I never said I played casually, but I didn't play hard core either. I got lucky with getting several black and abyss dyes within the first 2 weeks of the game, thats how I made a lot of money.

Originally posted by Mardukk

Where the hell did you get 30g playing very casually?

CoF farming in a very efficient group can net you reasonably 10 gold per hour (with AH item worth), or MORE.

I didn't even try to farm dungeons and I had well over 33 g when I hit 80.

The legendary items on my server are mostly over 1500 gold........

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

I didnt like it.

Hit lvl 80, buy exotics from market/craft it, do the same boring Orr events for karma, could do the instances if it wasnt because the combat and group system were so bad and boring, didnt give any kind of satisfaction.

Basicly there was no more progression (disregarding WvW) as you hit lvl 80 and got your easy exotics, no gear or char progression, what so ever.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Actually, if you play like 2000 hours in 6 months, that is TOO MUCH time. It is gaming as a job not gaming as escape or for fun.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Actually I'm a perfect example of someone that tried out every aspect of the game.

You're a bit full of yourself there, buddy.  You're no perfect example of anything aside from hubris.

Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

There is no such thing as "on your server". The trading post is a global market of all servers.

That's kind of my point.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

I like GW2's end game because there's no real end game. You don't suddenly stop what you were doing for 80 levels to be forced into a dungeon/raid grind.

Originally posted by botrytis

Actually, if you play like 2000 hours in 6 months, that is TOO MUCH time. It is gaming as a job not gaming as escape or for fun.

2000 hours in 6 months would be like 11 hours a day... I doubt anyone can argue that it's too much. But I don't think "vladamyre" ever said he played that much, even though considering what he supposedly (grain of salt about forum bragging...) achieved in so little time, he must not have been very far from that amount of time per day.

What disgusts me the most is that he played the game for 2+ months, got a legendary, and still asked for a refund. If his little story is true (which I still doubt), then I hope that karma will catch him someday and make him pay his lack of honesty. Hopefully harshly, very harshly, like e.g. someone not paying him for a long job he did resulting in him loosing several thousands of dollars. Then he will maybe remember "dang, I screwed a company of $60 because I played their game for several months and got a refund, and now I'm screwed for several thousands... feels bad but I deserve it.".

I was in TOG, you can ask Atreyu Warfist if Vlad The Impaler had Twilight or not, cant remember the server I was on though. Forgot I had these screenshots saved.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a571/nyght9999/thecreation_zps8a50cf1b.png

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a571/nyght9999/gw061_zpsf036c1de.jpg

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a571/nyght9999/aftercreation_zps6d7ccc04.png

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a571/nyght9999/firsttimedrawn_zps40db5790.png

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a571/nyght9999/gw075_zps501f2269.jpg

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    What people like you call a problem, people like me call a blessing.  We don't like the constant gear treadmill, run this dungeon to get better stuff etc.  We can play the game for fun and choose to run a dungeon with friends if we like it or not.  We don't need a carrot to entice us.  You speak of being conditioned or acclimated to feel you need to constantly improve , get better gear etc.  There are plenty of games with this type of model.  People like me enjoy GW2 for the lack of this mechanic in game.  When ascended gear was actually added to the game there was such an uproar among the loyal fan base for fear this type of treadmill was entering GW2,  The developers claimed it was not and they were just putting in ascended to fill the gap between exotic and legendary.  We shall see.  But it sounds like GW2 is not your game then. 
    Originally posted by flizzer
    What people like you call a problem, people like me call a blessing.  We don't like the constant gear treadmill, run this dungeon to get better stuff etc.  We can play the game for fun and choose to run a dungeon with friends if we like it or not.  We don't need a carrot to entice us.  You speak of being conditioned or acclimated to feel you need to constantly improve , get better gear etc.  There are plenty of games with this type of model.  People like me enjoy GW2 for the lack of this mechanic in game.  When ascended gear was actually added to the game there was such an uproar among the loyal fan base for fear this type of treadmill was entering GW2,  The developers claimed it was not and they were just putting in ascended to fill the gap between exotic and legendary.  We shall see.  But it sounds like GW2 is not your game then. 

I don't like gear treadmills either, I quit GW2 mostly cause of fractals and boring pvp.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280
    Originally posted by flizzer

I think you dont understand the concept of a mmo.  Trademill is still important- but no trademill at all is a bad choice.

GW2 worked because you buy the box and leave the game after 2 months. If GW2 was p2p  it would been one of the biggest failures last year. Most people wouldnt even make it past 1 month.  but since they got the money with is 6 months worth, they can be happy.

I for myself lost any trust to Anet, for delivering such a huge failure and calling it GW2. They can pump as many mini contetn as they want- the magic of gw2 was lost 3 month after realese-it was just one big fluke.

and yes carrots are important- they are like good grades- if school didnt have grades we would have not studied and the world would be disastrous- since when it comes to the logic of GW2- everything you do- is pointless- since it doesnt give you any advantage. Now if our world would work that way- the evolution would immidiatly stop.

• emistzemistz Member Posts: 54
    Gear treadmills are not good for any game.  MMO's should focus on skill treadmills, but then people will start whining that it is too "hardcore" or not catering to the "casual crowd."