Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Next Gen Game changer? Lets take a poll.

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by azzamasin

The entire argument is not the graphical quality or the computing power of the next gen consoles.

The issue is the serious lack of "normal" MMO functionalities that CAN NOT EXIST on a console.  The Console version will for ever be dumbed down in comparison to the PC version due to these limitations.

Final Fantasy 14 proved that wrong already.  I can have up to 16 skills set on a single set on the hotbar and another 16 on the second set which i can alternate between with the click of a shoulder button.  And by the time your mid to high level and having unlocked a lot of class skills both from you main class/job and the other classes/jobs you will have so many skills to choose from.

Can you talk in Zone chat?  Can you cut and Paste text messages to give links or other insightful tips to others? Can you drag and drop from your inventory to your bank? Can you click on someone's name and invite them to a group? Can you inspect items and then click on another shortcut to preview that item?  Can you create RP emotes? Can you do any myriad of other "normal" functions that are associated with an MMO within the context of a controller?

If the answer is NO to any of these items then it's not a full functionality MMO IMO.

EDIT: can you click on any of these shortcuts without having to resort to a clunky radial interface?

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    This game will not set the bar at all, its just a combination of a few other games. There is nothing in this game that hasn't been done before. Even the end game is nothing more then a reskinned version of Dark Age of Camelot, which really shouldn't be all that bad to begin with, since DAoC set the standard for all forms of great pvp.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

ESO game changer? LOL! No.

At most it will be a better version of WAR. At worst a fantasy version of SW:TOR.

It will be 100% ThemePark with linear leveling and controlled PvP. It will be very little like Elder Scrolls games.

• enntenseenntense Member UncommonPosts: 16

Too much focus on different aspects of the game while ignoring the most important one.  Will the community be full of douchbag trolls?  It doesn't matter how kung fu awesome the game is with instancing, non-instancing, towns, housing, raids, or whatever.  If the gaming community is primarily assholes, as it is in so many games these days, it will fail...How to thin the assholes?  That's a good question.  

I swear there must be a pop up for some people.  Are you anti-social?  Hate other people?  Revel in others pain and suffering?  CLICK HERE to join MMO!

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Vladamyre
    This game will not set the bar at all, its just a combination of a few other games. There is nothing in this game that hasn't been done before. Even the end game is nothing more then a reskinned version of Dark Age of Camelot, which really shouldn't be all that bad to begin with, since DAoC set the standard for all forms of great pvp.

It's not about whether its been done before or whether it borrows from other games that will determine its success. It's based on how everything comes together, the feel and charm  of the world, the animations, the polish, quality of PVP and PVE, side stuff and rpg element, and whether it feels like an Elder Scrolls Universe allowing for multiplayer options which except for a horrible mod, was unavailable in the single player games. They are not targeting raid clones/gear treadmills fans. They can go play another game.

There Is Always Hope!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Unfortunately, I haven't seen or read anything about this game that makes it remarkable. I think it will be mainly forgotten within a year after launch.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

The entire argument is not the graphical quality or the computing power of the next gen consoles.

The issue is the serious lack of "normal" MMO functionalities that CAN NOT EXIST on a console.  The Console version will for ever be dumbed down in comparison to the PC version due to these limitations.

Final Fantasy 14 proved that wrong already.  I can have up to 16 skills set on a single set on the hotbar and another 16 on the second set which i can alternate between with the click of a shoulder button.  And by the time your mid to high level and having unlocked a lot of class skills both from you main class/job and the other classes/jobs you will have so many skills to choose from.

Can you talk in Zone chat?  Can you cut and Paste text messages to give links or other insightful tips to others? Can you drag and drop from your inventory to your bank? Can you click on someone's name and invite them to a group? Can you inspect items and then click on another shortcut to preview that item?  Can you create RP emotes? Can you do any myriad of other "normal" functions that are associated with an MMO within the context of a controller?

If the answer is NO to any of these items then it's not a full functionality MMO IMO.

EDIT: can you click on any of these shortcuts without having to resort to a clunky radial interface?

You can talk in zone chat, You dont have to drag any item just click on it and it will go to the bank or auction and you can move it around if u want to sort it, yes you can click on someones name on the chat with the gamepad, emotes are actually used sometimes in some quests as part of gameplay, yes you can create custom emotes and you could macro them or put them on hotbar, FF11 had the cut and paste thing too so pretty sure this will too.  Keyboard is recommended for chatting though but thats about it.  In the end its up to the players personal taste of whats more comfortable for him/her.  I been playin the game with gamepad with others who use mouse/board just fine and only used keyboards for chatting.  And honestly people who RP and create emotes for that purpose is a small niche.  The game even has a translator like FF11 to speak with japanese.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by Vladamyre

It's not about whether its been done before or whether it borrows from other games that will determine its success. It's based on how everything comes together, the feel and charm  of the world, the animations, the polish, quality of PVP and PVE, side stuff and rpg element, and whether it feels like an Elder Scrolls Universe allowing for multiplayer options which except for a horrible mod, was unavailable in the single player games. They are not targeting raid clones/gear treadmills fans. They can go play another game.

I didn't say anything about gear grinds or treadmills, I love the concept of the 3 realm pvp just like my favorite mmo of all time started in 2001.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

You can talk in zone chat, You dont have to drag any item just click on it and it will go to the bank or auction and you can move it around if u want to sort it, yes you can click on someones name on the chat with the gamepad, emotes are actually used sometimes in some quests as part of gameplay, yes you can create custom emotes and you could macro them or put them on hotbar, FF11 had the cut and paste thing too so pretty sure this will too.  Keyboard is recommended for chatting though but thats about it.  In the end its up to the players personal taste of whats more comfortable for him/her.  I been playin the game with gamepad with others who use mouse/board just fine and only used keyboards for chatting.  And honestly people who RP and create emotes for that purpose is a small niche.  The game even has a translator like FF11 to speak with japanese.

So in other words its not a fully fledged traditional MMO.  Got it.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    What a poll with vaqlid options no way. TY op. Lets be honest eso is trying too hard to be TES  to be the next best thing... but it might entertain for a bit.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

So in other words its not a fully fledged traditional MMO.  Got it.

I dont know what you mean i just said yes to all your questions because it has all those features, and if you wanna play it like a traditional mmo your free to use keyboard and mouse.  On top of those it has housing similar to lotro system and crafting.  There is no radial interface.  Oh and you can sit on chairs too. And there will be tons of mini games which are always great for RPers, like the final fantasy card game and such later on.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Its a typical paint by the numbers mmo that we would all be better off without.

Don't know who greenlights projects up there but this smacks of an insurance fraud: Make a crappy game but with a highly successful IP, release multi-million dollar mmo, watch it crash and burn then file their insurance claims.  Either that or they are using it to lower their taxbill.

Whatever the purpose it surely doesn't seem to be bringing the heart and soul of what makes the Elder Scrolls something decent.  When redguard and every single spinoff has crashed and burned this seems a fools errand. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

it's not going to be a next gen game changer. And there is a possibility I will play it as I'm a fan of the Elder scrolls games.

but game changer? By what argument?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • dwarfusdwarfus Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    So far it seems to be revolving around PvP not Elder Scrolls as it should be. My personal prediction is high initial sales and sharp drop of players after couple of months.

Really going out on a limb here?!!? hahaha

Isn't this exactly what 99% of mmo's sales patterns look like?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    if they can get rid of boring tab targeting hotbar click fest traditional mmo combat and make combat feel and have the quality of a single player game in an mmo world than thats next gen for an mmo to me.  And the graphics are a sure plus on the side.

...and what, change it to the boring, tedious and spastic mouse clicking fest that is today's action combat?  No thanks, I'll take tab targeting and auto-attack with greater depth in tactics and the time needed to use them.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Expectations in games are way too high,more people need to do some home work and learn game design.

There is going to be corner cutting everywhere,give and take everywhere.

To be ground breaking a game would be utilizing all tech at their disposal and that is NOT going to happen in a MMORPG that relies on feeding bandwidth to the users.If developers could figure  a way to utilize 99% client side bandwidth and we all had super fast internet connections and high gpu machines,then it might be possible.

Even still there is the cost of development,that is why i see so much corner cutting that others seem to not notice.I can see it in game systems,it is like they had to whip something out generic and fast to move onto the next task.

Elder Scrolls or Bethesda/Zenimax have never shown me to be at the top of the scale for game development.I have played their games,they were ok at best,i would not expect them to jump on top of the heap,more like average middle of the road.

Full DX11/12 physics are huge memory draws,both cpu and gpu.Then if we add physx engines there is another cost.Shaders/shadows al lthe various lighting effects are huge draws,then we need to hope the developer knows how to properly code for multi chip support,not likely to see that effort.There is going to be bottle necks everywhere,we are not yet ready for the next gen of gaming,devs know it,that is why they are trying all sorts of lame gimmicks to fool customers into buying their game.

Expect in this game ,like every other game,more or less same old same old give or take on visuals give and take in depth of systems.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Expectations in games are way too high,more people need to do some home work and learn game design.

There is going to be corner cutting everywhere,give and take everywhere.

To be ground breaking a game would be utilizing all tech at their disposal and that is NOT going to happen in a MMORPG that relies on feeding bandwidth to the users.If developers could figure  a way to utilize 99% client side bandwidth and we all had super fast internet connections and high gpu machines,then it might be possible.

Even still there is the cost of development,that is why i see so much corner cutting that others seem to not notice.I can see it in game systems,it is like they had to whip something out generic and fast to move onto the next task.

Elder Scrolls or Bethesda/Zenimax have never shown me to be at the top of the scale for game development.I have played their games,they were ok at best,i would not expect them to jump on top of the heap,more like average middle of the road.

Full DX11/12 physics are huge memory draws,both cpu and gpu.Then if we add physx engines there is another cost.Shaders/shadows al lthe various lighting effects are huge draws,then we need to hope the developer knows how to properly code for multi chip support,not likely to see that effort.There is going to be bottle necks everywhere,we are not yet ready for the next gen of gaming,devs know it,that is why they are trying all sorts of lame gimmicks to fool customers into buying their game.

Expect in this game ,like every other game,more or less same old same old give or take on visuals give and take in depth of systems.

lol I see what you did there. You stated your opinion as if it was a fact.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

None of the prior "next gen game changers" were game changers.  They just did the next logical installment and twist on the same old shit.

Sure, this will be a next gen themepark.  The next logical step is to take dynamic events and kind of personalize them with content I guess.  Either way its just another attempt to hide the linear "with a choice" gameplay just like all the others.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Pretty sure this thread belongs in the Everquest Next forum.
    Originally posted by Entinerint

I like how everyone talks about Everquest Next like as if they know exactly what the game is going to be even though there really is not any information really known about the game, besides that it's apparently going to be the largest sandbox game. However, I have news for you, sandbox does not mean it will be good. I will take a look when there is a reason too. Not just spout out non sense like you.

I mean do you have any idea how stupid you look? As of right now, the only thing everquest next has is hype, and nothing more. Show me one piece of evidence it will be a game changer. Show me one piece of evidence that it will be good. You can't, cause there is nothing yet.

Originally posted by Brabbit1987

I like how everyone talks about Everquest Next like as if they know exactly what the game is going to be even though there really is not any information really known about the game, besides that it's apparently going to be the largest sandbox game. However, I have news for you, sandbox does not mean it will be good. I will take a look when there is a reason too. Not just spout out non sense like you.

I mean do you have any idea how stupid you look? As of right now, the only thing everquest next has is hype, and nothing more. Show me one piece of evidence it will be a game changer. Show me one piece of evidence that it will be good. You can't, cause there is nothing yet.

Wow you are very mean.

Also, you clearly didn't get the point of my post.  Right now all the hype-monkeys are slathering over EQN and threads like this that have baseless and arbitrary hyperbole like "next-gen game-changer" at their core belong there.  Not here where the hype-wind has gone out of the sails of this game long ago and will never be recovered.

Now who looks stupid?

Wow you are very mean.

Also, you clearly didn't get the point of my post.  Right now all the hype-monkeys are slathering over EQN and threads like this that have baseless and arbitrary hyperbole like "next-gen game-changer" at their core belong there.  Not here where the hype-wind has gone out of the sails of this game long ago and will never be recovered.

Now who looks stupid?

I do -.-

XD Sorry for being mean too. Though, I will still say my post applies to all the others who act like EQ Next is going to be better or something then ESO. We will get to decide that once they are both released. Other wise it's just a really rediculous argument. That's what i thought you meant, but as I said, sorry. Misunderstood you.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Single player game with co-op and RvR.  Could be a good game, but game changer?  No f'n way.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Wow you are very mean.

Now who looks stupid?

I do -.-

XD Sorry for being mean too. Though, I will still say my post applies to all the others who act like EQ Next is going to be better or something then ESO. We will get to decide that once they are both released. Other wise it's just a really rediculous argument. That's what i thought you meant, but as I said, sorry. Misunderstood you.

Well MMORPG did give EQ Next Best in Show, so that probably added cred to what Smedley was saying.

Wow you are very mean.

Now who looks stupid?

I do -.-

And just like that...all was forgiven!

;) <3