Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DOTA 2 isn't worth playing anymore.

RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

So it has been a long time since I played DOTA 2, I am going to explain why DOTA 2 is not worth playing anymore or spending a dime in the game.

Not too long ago I got an email and read about how DOTA 2 was putting in a new system to deal with harassment, and trolls raging in games however it is not working and also causing harm to legit players.

I played 3 DOTA 2 games today and I got muted for 24 hours without any reason because I was troll reported in a game where all my team did was do harassment after I asked the person to leave Mid Lane because he ruined my lane phase and made the enemy team win, They were on voice being very verbally abusive, I finally told them I was going to ignore them because of harassment, went on about the game and explained to the newb why its important why you do not fail gank mid, push an enemy back, and such at mid. ( Never used a curse word.)

However after the game I find myself Muted for 24 hours, worst part is the reports were false, and there was no review by Valve, as a result after trying to play a 4th game I Could not communicate with my team at all, the person took my lane, and I had to leave the game because I couldn't say anything at all, but before I left the game first thing I hear is explict language I can't even repeat on this forum out of someone's dirty mouth and the game had just started no one even really left the base.

No one hears you. Your account has been flagged as disruptive and your communication privileges temporarily revoked. Time remaining: 23 hours

The mute also works in Private/clan chat as well you can't even type to your team and that is stupid.

Now I would agree with the punishment if there was a valid reason and curse word in the game said, but there was not only people who abused is the people who got on the mic and harassed the entire game talking trash.

This makes League OF Legends more worth playing than DOTA, because at least if you get punished you can still communicate with the team in other games.

While LOL has its issues, DOTA 2 has worse issues and needs to be fixed both communities are bad all around, but DOTA 2 all valve is doing is hurting legit players who actually spent over $100 in the game and no evidence of chat abuse.

I am waiting to post the issue on the Dev forums explaining that this needs to be looked at but can't get to steam account to link to the dev forums yet.

With this said, there is another issue, if they feel I was being annoying trying to teach these players not to ruin lane phase and cost the game There is a (IGNORE) feature in game for (non toxic behavior.) If we go around reporting all players and this feature remains in place we are just going to harm legit players.

Comments

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

The TL;DR for this is simply:

"I don't realize that mutes/punishment for trolling and the like don't happen immediately, and assume it's because of one case instead of realizing it's an accumulation of reports/bad behavior."

Aka, just somebody that's not very good and trolls/complains non stop in games getting punished..

• macman507macman507 Member UncommonPosts: 10

LoL's Communty is worse. Both have noobs and such ofcourse.. or non-talkers, trolls, ragers, haters.

But quitters are more common in LoL, and surrendering early is just giving up, cause they personally don't see they can win the game and that is very frustrating. Dota don't have that.

Personally i choose Dota 2 over LoL for this reason.

Thereisnospoon.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

DOTA 2 is sluggish compared to LOL, pretty much makes the decision simple for me. They are both too slow paced though so I'm hoping the Blizzard one is better. All the other MOBA's that came out have populations that are too small to consider them.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by Ender4

DOTA 2 is sluggish compared to LOL, pretty much makes the decision simple for me. They are both too slow paced though so I'm hoping the Blizzard one is better. All the other MOBA's that came out have populations that are too small to consider them.

Yep.

I play a bit of smite now waiting for blizzard moba.

• mxlaser394mxlaser394 Member Posts: 9
    Didn't play DOTA 2 for sometime, but I find blizz dota game pace similar. You can find gameplays on yt.
  • suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Dota2/LoL is full of fucking trolls/afkers/feeders/leavers.. Only HoN is serious a bit :)

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• ZangetxuZangetxu Member CommonPosts: 18

If you think LOL players and game mechanics is better and you wont be facing all the stuff that you are over here. Then you should go and try LOL, and figure out yourself that LOL is same as WOW.

If someone is harrassing you, or saying you on mic, why dont you mute them? there is always that option.

• thormondthormond Member UncommonPosts: 7

I thought it's gonna be about Rat Doto

• eastsidaeastsida Member Posts: 7
    Trolling many players was reported many times. And got no punishment or mute xD
  • Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    And that's precisely the reason that Blizzard does not allow players to talk to the opposing team in HotS and is seriously considering not allowing players to even talk to their own team.
  • BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425

Reports take about 3-4 weeks to process, i know this because i am getting more report tokens every time one of my reports was valid and action was taken.

You did not get muted for this one match, you got muted for something that happened a couple weeks back.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    This game has voice?  Man I bet it's worse than CoD on the xbox...
  • F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

So you came here to cry about being muted for 24 hours? The title makes no sense as it has nothing to do with DOTA2 being worth playing anymore.

• That's why I'm playing Hots over Dota 2 and LoL right now. Don't get me wrong I'm not talking about 24 hours mute. I'm talking about the toxic community. Hots got a lot of bad players too but thanks to the game mechanics(short game time, more action and team based gameplay etc.) we see these type of behaviors very rare. If I have a player like this on my team at least all I have to do is to wait for like 15-20 min to finish the game. That's all. I don't have to endure him for 40-50 min.

•  

Originally posted by DMKano
    Dota 2 is currently the MOBA with the most depth and also the one that rewards skillful play more than any other.

LoL is more casual - I am not a big fan but it's far more acceasible than Dota2 and is by far the most popular

Smite is a fine moba - but it has a small playerbase - which is fine but I think it will remain a very niche game

HOTS is terrible - there I said it, its a moba for people who don't like mobas and even then it is still weak - its currently the worst game Blizzard has made - read Blizzards financial reports, they have had to downgrade expectations for HOTS because they know its a dud

[mod edit] They said the same thing about the Heartstone when it was in the beta. Talking about the financial reports for a game in the closed beta. On top of that comparing the mobas on a thread about the Dota 2 community. Oh well... /facepalm

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    This thread is from 2013

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by DMKano
    HOTS is terrible - there I said it, its a moba for people who don't like mobas and even then it is still weak - its currently the worst game Blizzard has made - read Blizzards financial reports, they have had to downgrade expectations for HOTS because they know its a dud

Well... The whole idea is to be a casual alternative in the moba arena.. So you got that point on... But since it is the aim of the game i am not sure we can hold that against it. Do think Blizzard lowered expectations because the moba genre is loosing some steam... Since everyone and their pet armadillo is making a MOBA... No if you like tot alk about a dud... Infinite Crisis is what i think will be the dud.

This have been a good conversation

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

People have done extensive testing of the punishment system for Dota 2.  The basic gist is all it takes is 2 people reporting you for the same thing (i.e. communication abuse) in a 24 hr window for it to trigger and "punish" you.

So, people in the community know this, and if lets say a buddy and his friend are playing and you say something they dont like, they immediately report you for the same thing, and you get stuck in 5 low prio games, or communication banned for 24 hrs, etc.

They really need to use a system like in CS:GO where the reports/data are sent to an ACTUAL PERSON to review, before punishments are handed out.  CS:GO's system uses community members who have been validated and are respected community members (i.e. they've been vetted and don't abuse the system, arent trolls, etc).  Who do the reviews of the reports voluntarily on their own time.  That way valve doesn't have to hire 10 million people to review reports, etc.

The current system is SO easily abused its not even funny.  They really REALLY need to change it.

Of course, the simplest way to fix 90% of the problem would be to just put region locks in, and not let people queue on servers outside of their regional area, but they'll never do that.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    It's not your job to tell people what they should be doing in a random game.  If you want to be serious then get a team going otherwise just play and have fun.  Even though you were not as bad as those other players.  You did something wrong by keeping that game in a phase that allows trolls to roam on both ends of the spectrum.  Those games have their "meta" which completely ruins any fun a casual player wants to have and allows everyone to cry over the tiniest little difference.   I always tell people if they want to be "meta" then they need to leave me the hell alone and play ranked games.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

@DMKano

Yeah you got a point there.. It is a bit bland and i think you have a point that it will be a "baby´s first MOBA" before they advance on to bigger and better things.

Maybe it is just a matter of getting a foot hold in the market. Toss stuff at the wall and see what sticks.. HS after all stuck so well that WotC will be taking inspiration form it for their next digital MtG game...

Any way i am not invested enough in the MOBA market to see where it is going, i play smite since it is more a action game and who does not like to lay some holy wrath down. The only Blizzard title i am keeping an eye on right now i OverWatch and that is looking kind of fun.

This have been a good conversation

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I left HoTS briefly to try DOTA2.  I liked the idea that you didn't need to unlock hereos.  Long story short, I tried the tutorial and the hero was really sluggish in comparison.  Total deal breaker for me.  I want smooth and fast response in a game like that.  The tutorial looked really half assed as well.  Really disappointing from Valve.  I don't remember DOTA in WC3 being like that but I'd have to go back and try  it to be sure.  LOL seemed to have a much more polished look when I tried it.
  • zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    I left HoTS briefly to try DOTA2.  I liked the idea that you didn't need to unlock hereos.  Long story short, I tried the tutorial and the hero was really sluggish in comparison.  Total deal breaker for me.  I want smooth and fast response in a game like that.  The tutorial looked really half assed as well.  Really disappointing from Valve.  I don't remember DOTA in WC3 being like that but I'd have to go back and try  it to be sure.  LOL seemed to have a much more polished look when I tried it.

The tutorial is "Attack creeps and level up, we're not going to let you jump into games and ruin everybody elses enjoyment by being so bad.."

It has very little to do with the actual game, but it does prove to be a fairly reliable way to roadblock people that have no desire to learn anything and want to "just kill stuff" because Dota is not that forgiving..

• kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321

I don't play Dota but...

http://www.mmogames.com/gamenews/45151/newzoo-dota-2-rise/

lol, OP mad

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• raicruzraicruz Member UncommonPosts: 3
    @Renoaku I've been playing Dota since Warcraft Frozenthrone and even now in DOTA 2. whatever you say DOTA 2 for me is the best game and most interesting game.  =)
  • HejiradoHejirado Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Still fun to play from time to time. 

Dota2 Accounts