Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft just dropped DRM

XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

Comments

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    You can say they listened to consumers but really we have Sony and Nintendo to thank for this about face.Still it is surprising as Microsoft always seems to be so insular and live in it's own world.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Good move, Microsoft.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251
    No surprise here.
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I can see a they're future, but we're not ready for it yet.  I'm glad they can see our present and deliver.  I've enjoyed my 360 all these years.  I'm not sure if I'll jump in to an X1 right away, but it's coming.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• StimzStimz Member UncommonPosts: 79
    I was happy with it before, now im even happier, nice.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'm still getting a PS4.. they only did this because they had no choice. This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers, this has happened because they realised they were digging their own grave.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    I'm surprised but also a bit disappointed. I know this is something that there was a lot of outcry over but their online only system did allow for some unique features that wouldn't be available to other consoles, such as sharing you library of games with people on your friends list and their "cloud based" game features. Disappointing to see that's not the case anymore. Not that I had any interest in xbox in the first place, I just thought the sharing was a really cool and distinguishing feature. I don't know what is the point of xbox now. Just a ps4 reskin. 
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

still not buying into it, there entire xbox one is built around the conetix camera to operate.  Well I don't want microsoft and or big brother using that camera to spy on me.  So for me the number one reason not get the xbox one is still an issue. 

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

I'm happy to hear it, but it doesn't impact me at all. I am already always online, I don't buy used games, and I don't lend games to other people.

However, I think some gamers will get a rude awakening when they realize that both Xbox One and PS4 will support producer implementations of DRM on certain games.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers,

Hate to breake it to you, but Sony does not do things because of this either, they do things to maximize profit, if that happens to align with pleasing the gamer crowd, that is just luck.

Still, good i guess.

This have been a good conversation

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Still getting PS4 first but my opinion of Microsoft is greatly improved.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Still not sure if I will buy a Xbox after all this mess. Makes me wonder what they will try and pull once they sell a few mill units. 
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I think they were banking on Sony doing the same thing or something similar. And then when Sony came out and said "No, we're keeping it old school". Microsoft basically had to eat a !@#$ sandwich and go back to the drawing board.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

HAHAHA! Seems I won't have to wait until they've fix this problem after launch to get a XBox One!

• gamers: 1
    • Gamerz: 0
    It all boils down to money talks and bullsh!t walks. Now all I need is announcement of someone from the XBox One marketing team getting fired, shuffled or demoted and all things will once again be aligned.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I'm not surprised.  I think we'll see more of these types of competitive moves from both Microsoft and Sony.  Sony definitely got the good lead out of the gate, but the race isn't over.  Expect to see changes as they compete with each other.  Free enterprise working properly, who'd thought it.

I am. Usually they ignore stuff like this and say something about how good things like this actually is for the customers (yeah, lying). But I guess they realized that screwing the customers before they buy the thing isn't very smart...

Good news anyways. Now if just companies like EA and Activision realized it too so we wont have to see any more Sim city and Diablo 3 styled games everything would be good,.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I'm not surprised.  I think we'll see more of these types of competitive moves from both Microsoft and Sony.  Sony definitely got the good lead out of the gate, but the race isn't over.  Expect to see changes as they compete with each other.  Free enterprise working properly, who'd thought it.

This I agree with.Still plenty of time before any system launches for this type of competitive maneuvering and it can only benefit we the consumers.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by tawess

Hate to breake it to you, but Sony does not do things because of this either, they do things to maximize profit, if that happens to align with pleasing the gamer crowd, that is just luck.

Still, good i guess.

Either way, Sony's policies were in the right place, luck or not. MS's wasn't. It's natural for corporations to try and overreach, but then the people speak up and suddenly they remember they're outnumbered... and need money. Sony didn't try to overreach but MS did.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108

Too little too late. If they can switch their policies at a whim once they can do it again. Damage is done. 

Originally posted by tawess

Still, good i guess.

Either way, Sony's policies were in the right place, luck or not. MS's wasn't. It's natural for corporations to try and overreach, but then the people speak up and suddenly they remember they're outnumbered... and need money. Sony didn't try to overreach but MS did.

Of course Sony bases it's decisions on profitability they are a business.But Sony's philosphy this generation was profitability lies in pleasing consumers and having them buy their console not pleasing Publishers which was Microsoft's philosophy.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by fayknaym
    I'm surprised but also a bit disappointed. I know this is something that there was a lot of outcry over but their online only system did allow for some unique features that wouldn't be available to other consoles, such as sharing you library of games with people on your friends list and their "cloud based" game features. Disappointing to see that's not the case anymore. Not that I had any interest in xbox in the first place, I just thought the sharing was a really cool and distinguishing feature. I don't know what is the point of xbox now. Just a ps4 reskin. 

PS4 has a superior cloud based game feature its called Gaikai

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Obviously those features didn't depend on Microsoft's stupid policies. The XB1 wasn't capable of anything the PS4 couldn't do before, and it's not any less capable of doing all that stuff now.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by erictlewis

still not buying into it, there entire xbox one is built around the conetix camera to operate.  Well I don't want microsoft and or big brother using that camera to spy on me.  So for me the number one reason not get the xbox one is still an issue. 

I'll bite.

Seriously, I can't understand people who list that as their #1 concern. You're talking about a multi-billion $$ company with international recognition and influence. Their purpose as a business is to make money =/= being evil and doing things wrong just for the hell of it. You simply need to ask yourself, what do they have to gain for their investment and business decisions?

They were trying to strong arm DRM and push the industry to all digital, all online. They found out, through experience, it wasn't a good idea. At least, not yet. No one needs to tell them that giving extremely private data to the US government without the users permission or knowledge is a bad idea. Any contract they have with the NSA would be more than dwarfed in the total net losses if the world found out they straight face lied to everyone, and that our civil liberties have been breached by a multi media box in your living room...

The company said no data taken and stored by the Kinect will be uploaded without your express permission, and you can turn it off even to the point where it won't listen to Xbox On. Are they lying? I don't know. Do they have any incentive to? Not really. Do they have anything to lose if they are? Hundreds of millions of $$

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    All they need to do now is decrease the price by $100 and I might consider buying it.  Otherwise, this is a step in the right direction.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by tkreep

I thought Gaikai was just streaming games? How I understood the xbox cloud system, was that since you were always online, the games would actually change the way they play based on the data they were receiving from the server. Like they showed a racing game called forza and they said the AI you were racing against would adjust based on information obtained from the "cloud." Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding. I still think the sharing thing was cool. The online restriction was necessary for it to work because you were only allowed to share with a certain number of people at a time or only a certain amount of people could play it at one time, so it would need to periodically check that. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by tkreep Originally posted by fayknaym I'm surprised but also a bit disappointed. I know this is something that there was a lot of outcry over but their online only system did allow for some unique features that wouldn't be available to other consoles, such as sharing you library of games with people on your friends list and their "cloud based" game features. Disappointing to see that's not the case anymore. Not that I had any interest in xbox in the first place, I just thought the sharing was a really cool and distinguishing feature. I don't know what is the point of xbox now. Just a ps4 reskin. 
    I thought Gaikai was just streaming games? How I understood the xbox cloud system, was that since you were always online, the games would actually change the way they play based on the data they were receiving from the server. Like they showed a racing game called forza and they said the AI you were racing against would adjust based on information obtained from the "cloud." Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding. I still think the sharing thing was cool. The online restriction was necessary for it to work because you were only allowed to share with a certain number of people at a time or only a certain amount of people could play it at one time, so it would need to periodically check that. 

The cloud system you described is just how online games work anyway. Microsoft's plan was to have additional content available on other devices. For instance, instead of having a mini map in your HUD, you'd have one on your cell phone or something like that. The cloud would tie the game you were playing to your mobile device.

Gakai's service runs games in the cloud and streams it to the client device. This is how the PS3 games are going to be available on the PS4.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.