Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Damn Im impressed!

RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Well Im on day 3 of my 14 day trial. I dont know why I have waited all this time to play Eve but no matter.

Im impressed. This game is polished to a mirror finish in every area I have looked at so far (whish is probably like 1% given the scope of it)

The sheer range of things to do and the size of the universe has me thinking Im going to subscribe at the end of my trial.

Right now im paying for WoW, EQ2 and SWG. The reason being I play each one for a few hours before Im bored witless then switch to the other. Well I pulled my first all night game session for ages last night and as usual with a great game I didnt even realise it was happening.

Eve has me totally sucked in. I thought I had tired of this genre after years of playing Elite/Elite2 and Jumpgate, but Eve brings all to another level.

I recomend it to anyone who hasnt played it yet.image

+-+-+-+-+-+
"MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
http://purepwnage.com
-+-+-+-+-+-+
"Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Comments

• magik_fxmagik_fx Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 278

Same thing happened to me. I tried it on a whim inbetween games just to see how it was. To be honest, i wasn't expecting much at all. Howver, i was surprisingly very impressed after the first few days. That was almost 4 months ago and i'm still playing it daily. It's definetely not for everyone, but it was definetely for me! ::::28::

• NFWolfDudeNFWolfDude Member Posts: 304

Welcome to EVE! ::::02::

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    NFWolfDude

• BsfAuroraBsfAurora Member Posts: 22

Eve is everything SWG threatened to be but dismally failed. It hurts to die, it has a vibrant economy and has great corp politics. And if all you want to do is make some money, you can do that to. AND no grinding!!! Thats got to be worth something.

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Im a former EvE player and love the game but i quit for one reason.

Time constraints.

Sure there's no time constraints...until you get to the skills that require MONTHS to train.There's no traditional levels in the game but some skills take soo long to train it becomes annoying.I hate to bash the game but i hope you plan on playing for a year or so because that's about how long it will take for the highend game to open up for you.

Seeing that you were paying for 3 games id say you have a short attention span.(no offense ok).EvE has offline skill training,so my question to you is what's going to happen when you get bored?Are you going to set a skill to train log off and go play WoW?

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)

Originally posted by Puoltry
    Im a former EvE player and love the game but i quit for one reason.
    Time constraints.
    Sure there's no time constraints...until you get to the skills that require MONTHS to train.There's no traditional levels in the game but some skills take soo long to train it becomes annoying.I hate to bash the game but i hope you plan on playing for a year or so because that's about how long it will take for the highend game to open up for you.Seeing that you were paying for 3 games id say you have a short attention span.(no offense ok).EvE has offline skill training,so my question to you is what's going to happen when you get bored?Are you going to set a skill to train log off and go play WoW?

I don't know how long you played but you're a bit off base on a few things. You do have to have patience in this game no doubt, their is no instant gratification levels every few days. Few skills are measured in months and you don't need to worry about those for a while into your career. As for the "highend game" it's not that far off even for some of the newest players. A solid month and a half of training and I was flying in fleet battles with my corp. Of course i was a disposable tackler in the large battles, in the small skirmishes i played support with a kestrel and enjoyed it quite well - and did quite well in fact! That character had just over 1.2m SP if i recall correctly. This game is a unique approach to a lot of things and if it's just not for you then it's not for you, enough said.

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

Well, I don't know of many skills that take months to train anymore since they added advanced learning skills and finaly released high level implants. The learning skills allow you to get 14-15 base to all attributes without even plugging in any implants , add to that the possibility of +3, +4 and even +5 implants and your skills train bloody fast. Even the monster skills like Battleship level 5 can be trained fairly quickly now and most level 5's (for me with advanced learning skills to level 4) are between 12-20 days. Might seem long, but with the benefit's you get such as using nice Tech 2 equipment and ships when you get the skills, it's well worth the time to train IMO.

As for being one helluva good game, well, I just pulled off two all nighters myself this week and I've been playing for over 6 months now. Ok, both we're huge fleet ops, which aren't always available to everyone, but nonetheless, it was really intense, a feeling that I haven't gotten from any other MMO in years.

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

Regradless to say that there is no grinding is like saying every mmo is easy to play as you progress.

(btw i didnt see you denying the fact that some skills take a month or longer to train.)

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

• JasearaJaseara Member Posts: 8

Yup reponsibility is a pain in the ass.image

Regradless to say that there is no grinding is like saying every mmo is easy to play as you progress.
    (btw i didnt see you denying the fact that some skills take a month or longer to train.)

I'm not going to argue with you, but if you're to uptight over how long until your next level in a skill - you missed the whole point of EVE.

• NFWolfDudeNFWolfDude Member Posts: 304

Alright, first off, it no longer takes any single skill MONTHS to train, it used to take months to get into a battleship, which seems to be every n00bs goal because they still have the mentality of having to be uber from the fantasy MMOs. I trained up my attributes first...which took a little bit of time, but now all of my skills train very quickly. Anyway, that's what it is.

There is no grinding in EVE...none, zero, the game is completely open ended. If you choose to just run missions, then it is a grind...for you by your choice, if you choose to just haul stuff...same deal, but you don't have to do ANY of it to progress. You can make money by trading. Buy low, sell high...so you have to wait for the item to sell, big deal. ISK is easy to make.

As for the "high end" game you spoke of...bah! There is none of this "the level 20 dude ain't hanging with you level 2 n00bs because you are below me" crud. It's gone. My organization does regular patrols through certain regions. We don't care if someone is 1 day out of the box and in a cheap frigate, they are welcome to join the people with high end tech 2 cruisers and battleships. We use the assets we have to our best advantage. The same goes with mining, some people fill cargo ships in no time, and some people only drop a few pebbles worth of ore at a time but the fact remains that they are all helping and in time the pebble droppers will be the bigger miners and there will be other new people digging the pebbles.

I'm not sure what game you were talking about, but I have so much to do it's unreal.

Also, I'm not sure what the problem is with running an in-game corp, but I find it to be a blast. If it's about popularity, I'm a super dude, because I know I am not that popular, yet my corp is successful because we are an active and friendly corporation. Besides, even the biggest corps can become insignifigant in a game where 12,000 people are all logged in and playing at the same time. The roleplay aspect is fun and it's not about popularity or uberness...it's about respect and a willingness to play the role of an administrator, leader, politician and peacekeeper instead of wanting to do it for instant fame and unearned popularity. If that's what you were after when you decided that having an ingame organization sucks so bad, it's because you were doing it for the wrong reason and you are right, you should stay away from it.

You have fun camping your killer whatsitsbeast and ganking it a hundred times for the +99 OMFGIPWNZJOO Sword of Super Uberness. We'll play this game and enjoy it for what it really is.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    NFWolfDude

Hey have at it im not the one getting defensive here.

Ive said it before and ill say it again EvE is a cutting edge game and has paved new ways of playing an mmo.

Its a great game and i feel it has pushed the genre forward ok?

But to say there is NO grind?EVERY mmo has a grind to it.Just because you can train skills offline doesnt mean it cant take a long time to train it.

How can you progress without buying skills to train?To buy skills you need ISK right?Not everyone is just going to give you a couple of million off the bat.

So to buy skills you need to have isk and to make isk you do what?Thats right mine a roid or try to find a lucrative trade run by server reset.Not that this is the ONLY way to make isk but at some point most players need to do these things at some point.Its not as if the ISK just appears in your wallet.You have to work for it this is a simulation of life in space and part of life is work no way around it.

Work in itself is a grind.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

• leipurileipuri Member Posts: 559

Skill system is nice, but I only wish they would give all basic learning skills to level 5 for new players. It creates sort of boring phase for newbies while they learn these skills and even worse if they train some advanced learning skills to level 4.

• leipurileipuri Member Posts: 559

Hey have at it im not the one getting defensive here.
    Ive said it before and ill say it again EvE is a cutting edge game and has paved new ways of playing an mmo.
    Its a great game and i feel it has pushed the genre forward ok?
    But to say there is NO grind?EVERY mmo has a grind to it.Just because you can train skills offline doesnt mean it cant take a long time to train it.
    How can you progress without buying skills to train?To buy skills you need ISK right?Not everyone is just going to give you a couple of million off the bat.
    So to buy skills you need to have isk and to make isk you do what?Thats right mine a roid or try to find a lucrative trade run by server reset.Not that this is the ONLY way to make isk but at some point most players need to do these things at some point.Its not as if the ISK just appears in your wallet.You have to work for it this is a simulation of life in space and part of life is work no way around it.
    Work in itself is a grind.

Want to avoid that grind? Join active corp. Now it will be grind if you play alone, but if you are part of corp (real corp) and make friends you will not have to grind yourself. You know that 10mil for me is like drop in the ocean, but it will give nice kick start for newbies in our corp.

While someone might see that as 'gimping', but that is promoted in eve. You shouldn't try grind alone, but find yourself a corp and be active in that corp and support the corp. You will get into eve faster.

You cant transfer exp in level grinding games like you can isk. image

Here is good innovative example of player corp http://dss.digital-environment.net/ . I think they are looking bit more seasoned pilots, but there is lot more such good corps that have goals and I suggest doing some research before joining to one.

• Ne08PNe08P Member Posts: 20

Fleet battles are available to everyone, provided your hungry enough to get in one. Just join a big time PvP corp and before you know it you'll be engaging in some large thrilling battles. Personally I prefer smaller engagements. Because I use 56k at the moment I lagg up badly when engageing LOTS of enemies. The other day I lost a Battleship completely due to lagg and it sucked so badly.

This is a fantastic game though, if your smart and have a lot of patience then you will do well. Just a point about skill training times too. I don't think anyone should start an MMORPG if they don't intend on playing for atleast a year. Okay play it decide if you enjoy it and if you do why not keep playing it for a while? Thus meaning that even if a skill DID take months to train(which none do btw) you could justify it anyway. The longest skill I have seen was a battleship level 5 which took 27 days. Hardly months! Also if you train up your learning skills to high levels you can knock large percentages off the time training therefore no skill takes rediculously long to train.

It is not a game for young kids that's for sure, it is too complicated and requires too much patience. I would recomend it to anyone else though as the game's interface and graphics are matched only by it's depth and enjoyability. Extreme!

The "grind" of EVE as you so call it for finding ISK as a newbie isn't spent by killing 10,000 rats to get a few levels and that new sword. If you want to base it on anything it's based on adapting yourself to the game and your intelligence on figuring out how the game mechanics work. After you finish the tutorial, which only takes a few hours at most, you have enough ISK to fly a basic tier 2 frigate and have the skills to fly one as well as maybe put a gun or two on it. As soon as you have a little frigate, most of the grind in the game is gone until you start craving the next sized ship class. Of course, if you want to fly a battleship a month after starting to play the game, your gonna be grinding like mad and then when you get it you'll bitch because you can't ue the thing, you have to restrain yourself and know what's available to you.

Again, back to the "grinding", I define a grind as, having to do one activity for hours on end to accomplish a single goal. In EVE, you don't have that. Yes, the training maybe long at times but, you can do it while experimenting with different aspects of the game and since training skills to lower levels goes fairly quick, you can change your mind at any time and try another aspect of the game. You can go from a mission runner to a miner, to a hauler, to a trader all within the same day. The ISK only holds you back when you don't know how to get it but after a week, I estimate most people can due well on their own, I'm not saying that can make 100M a week, but they can make enough to supply whatever profession they choose to follow.

Ne08P, as for lagging in fleet ops, did you try disabling the graphics while in larger engagements ? Ctrl + Shift + Alt + E / T , turning off your sound and even disabling the Z-Buffer can help boost your fps in laggy situations, yeah the game dosen't look so hot when you do it but let's face it, when you got 20 battleships targetting you, you don't want to see how pretty your ship is gonna blow up, you want to hit that "warp to safespot" bookmark as quickly as possible.

Edited due to my superb typing skills. ::::05::

It's difficult to defend this game from people who have no idea what they're talking about. The ones that played for a few days in the trial and felt they experienced everything the game had to offer. For example, there was a thread on the WoW boards about WoW being the best MMO - I disagreed but i didn't flame and i got some of the most misinformed posts in return. Like when one of the posters said "quests" in EVE were one of the biggest wastes of time as far as money earning goes. I don't know if he heard about level 4 missions - the very same missions people feel are threatening the economy because its so easy to make isk. Anyways, most of any real EVE players knowledge falls on deaf ears more often then not. Guess I learned to never disagree with the WoW fanboys on their own turf ::::01::

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Well its interesting that the skills debate popped up.

One of the things I have learned to love the most is how skill advancement works. Yes they have eliminated grinding 100%. There is just no point to hours of killing or whatever unless thats what you actually feel like doing, in which case its not grinding.

I have done almost nothing but run agent missions since I started. by the end of day 3 I had over 500K in the bank and an implant from a mission reward worth 3million (that I cant use yet). As of yesterday Im flying a Merlin and still have almost 300K and my old Condor. Getting all that stuff was excitng 100% of the time. All the missions were fun.

Eve has simply and elegantly removed all opportunities for so called "power levelers" to have any negative impact on the game. The decisions you make are far more important than how many hours you play.

As I approach the end of my first week in Eve I can now say for sure I will subscribe and I will drop EQ2, UO and SWG for good. Eve will do me till DnL or D&D come out and if they suck Ill just stay with Eve.

I have dragged a RL buddy in too who was still playing Jumpgate and somehow didnt know Eve existed (he doesnt get out much). Hes addicted already after only 2 days.

I wanna fly a cruiser so bad image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Now now, don't be too harsh on them, WoW is an awesome MMO for people who are new to the genre, easy to play, easy to master and dosen't require you to challenge yourself too much. I just think it's attracted too much attention from the younger crowd who just don't understand that they are playing a game with actualy people. Just think of how defensive you can get when someone starts flaming EVE for "not being fun" or "too complicated" or the best yet is for having "a pvp system that is too redundant" lol, that one cracked me up. Anyways, back to the point, some people just love going around these public access forums to blast random MMO's and WoW has been targeted so many times it's not funny (popularity has its price). AND, since many of the players of WoW are quite young, they don't always handle negative criticism very well and end up attacking the source that looks to squander their beloved title.

If that dosen't have you convinced than well, I like to think most EVE players are a little more mature than most so, don't go down to their level. ::::31::

Originally posted by dakilla666
    Now now, don't be too harsh on them, WoW is an awesome MMO for people who are new to the genre, easy to play, easy to master and dosen't require you to challenge yourself too much. I just think it's attracted too much attention from the younger crowd who just don't understand that they are playing a game with actualy people. Just think of how defensive you can get when someone starts flaming EVE for "not being fun" or "too complicated" or the best yet is for having "a pvp system that is too redundant" lol, that one cracked me up. Anyways, back to the point, some people just love going around these public access forums to blast random MMO's and WoW has been targeted so many times it's not funny (popularity has its price). AND, since many of the players of WoW are quite young, they don't always handle negative criticism very well and end up attacking the source that looks to squander their beloved title. If that dosen't have you convinced than well, I like to think most EVE players are a little more mature than most so, don't go down to their level. ::::31::

Honestly I have no problem with WoW, I played it for a while and enjoyed it quite thoroughly and I never blast anyone because they play WoW - it's just impossible to get the same respect back on these forums. So I just try to abstain from the WoW discussions, I like to contribute to the "You favorite MMO" type thread but for some reason everyone elses opinion is invalid to some people hah. I don't get to bent out of shape about it, but when you offer a valid argument or present the reason why you like a game and get "stfu WoW is teh best MMO evar and it only ges better with every patch u idiot" well you kinda chuckle at the whole point of the discussion. Anyways, doesn't matter - play what you enjoy.

• JhughesyJhughesy Member Posts: 419

I started playing Eve in beta and I'm still hooked. There is just so much to do. The Eve universe is so alive with politics, intrigue, espionage, economics, empire building, commerce and warfare. There is also potential for so much more as it's so open ended.

I played WoW and SWG for about 3 weeks each. EQII for about 7 days and quit. Ultima Online for 5 years...image

Yeah, I never heard about EVE until a buddy on mine in college told me he played it. Since I was looking for a new game to play (The 4th Coming for 4 years since beta was released) was kind of getting old I tried it with the two week trial and have been hooked ever since. The way I best describe playing EVE is saying that it is an "experience" because the graphics are so well made and everything is so seemless that you can just get sucked into the game for hours on end.

As for the WoW Forums, yes, I know there are many fanboys out there who can't deal with logical reasoning but, hey, no matter what you do, they will always be there. But if you keep your posts very objective, every now and again you'll run into a person who actual knows what to do with constructive criticism and can actualy engage in a meaningful discussion that dosen't involve you being called a "troll" ... don't even wanna know where they got that one from. I know a few people (mostly 20+) who play the game for what I supose you can call the typical "take over the world" goal. These are actualy people who plan out every siege they will do and use a variety of strategies to overwhelm their opponents, not just the usual "healers heal while tanks tank and damage dealers gank" junk that everyone seems so used to doing over there.

Ok, EVE thread so I'll get back to that before closing this post. As I said before, game hooked me right away when I was trying to shoot that annoying tutorial drone and the claws have sinked even deeper with the latest patch that was released (yes, I am amarr and hate that they nerfed my favorite weapons) but, the option of disabling effects during large fleet ops is simply amazing. I've been involved in about 5x more fleet ops in the past two weeks then I had been about 2 months prior to the patch. Gives a chance for the people who don't have great connections to participate without being horribly lagged out and makes space station combat acceptable. Although there is a MAJOR bug in the game right now allowing for a small group (20 or so) of people to capture a station in under an hour, the patch has really promoted gameplay in 0.0 systems and large fleet battles.