Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On sale now. Only $30 gets you entire game :D

GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Just saw this on the launcher, It seems Blizzard is having another sale.  Great time if you haven't played WoW before to join for what's pretty much half of what a new game costs these days :)

http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=p:110000044,p:1100001289,p:1100002176&utm_source=internal&utm_medium=launcher&utm_campaign=wow&utm_content=left-banner

Comments

• FruxyFruxy Member Posts: 32
    It's about time, but too late sadly.  Cheap deals should have been done .. before .. well you know .. when numbers didn't tumble?  Now it just looks like a money for life support.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Originally posted by Fruxy
    It's about time, but too late sadly.  Cheap deals should have been done .. before .. well you know .. when numbers didn't tumble?  Now it just looks like a money for life support.

Yes, life support for a paltry 8.5 million users.

Originally posted by Vigg

If you buy into those numbers.  6 million are still Chinese who pay just enough to cover Blizzards basic costs.  Those numbers are paid for, to impress people, uh, like you!  WoW still has 2-3 million US / EU players so all is good, they are still #1.

NetEase runs the Blizzard connection to China and there is no reportable profits to be found (if anything they lose money).  Blizzard continues to do WoW Asia because it boosts their numbers.  Check it out.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Fruxy It's about time, but too late sadly.  Cheap deals should have been done .. before .. well you know .. when numbers didn't tumble?  Now it just looks like a money for life support.
    If you buy into those numbers.  6 million are still Chinese who pay just enough to cover Blizzards basic costs. 

Seriously. Still waiting for people to link their data source.
    Until then, wow has 8.3 Million Subscriptions.

While your at it Please tell me why Asia is always considered a second rate demographic? This is an international company.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

If you buy into those numbers.  6 million are still Chinese who pay just enough to cover Blizzards basic costs.  Those numbers are paid for, to impress people, uh, like you!  WoW still has 2-3 million US / EU players so all is good, they are still #1.

NetEase runs the Blizzard connection to China and there is no reportable profits to be found (if anything they lose money).  Blizzard continues to do WoW Asia because it boosts their numbers.  Check it out.

That's OK, I'll leave you to your conspiracy theories and you can leave me to my blind optimism.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Awesome! Still the best mmorpg
  • zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

and about half of those more than likely are gold farmers and people with 2+ accounts. >.0 . Honestly I still like the game once in awhile, playing with my friends though. We will sub for like 2-3 months have some fun. and move on :)

Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Fruxy It's about time, but too late sadly.  Cheap deals should have been done .. before .. well you know .. when numbers didn't tumble?  Now it just looks like a money for life support.
    If you buy into those numbers.  6 million are still Chinese who pay just enough to cover Blizzards basic costs. 

Seriously. Still waiting for people to link their data source.
    Until then, wow has 8.3 Million Subscriptions.

While your at it Please tell me why Asia is always considered a second rate demographic? This is an international company.

People have been linking data sources, but perhaps you ignore them?

Of course you could research for yourself, but why bother?  Keep promoting WoW numbers, and ignore investor calls which indicate more than half of the "subscribers" being low-earning NetEase "subscribers" paying by the hour (few cents per hour) instead of by the month, with a per-person cap per-week (~20 hrs / week), by ID numer (equivalent of ss#), to ensure legitimacy.

It's more fun to see people pretend that 8 or 9 million people actually play WoW when the servers are dying, and have been for years.  Server transfer much?

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Its hard to convince WoW players of the fact 80% give or take are Asian players who pay 3 cent per hour.
    Its been on the net for many years, but they wont believe it.
    I dont care if they do, but it shows how blind they realy are :P

for over 5 yeas EU servers have been dying, hundreds of pages of pls assist our death realm....
    I was there up to 3 times my realm dead, Korgal - Laughing Skull - Bladefist
    These servers where all high or full, nothing has been done in all those years to assist lowpopulated realms, untill now, some sort of mechanic will be installed to assist death realms.

But way to late, the damage has already been done to alot of players.
    Many good mmo's comming out again :)

misses oppertunity for Blizzard, but greed got the best of them :)

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

They've had these sales multiple times.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I have yet to see any evidence by any side (though I really don't blame them).  Though from my own readings -- of which I can't be bothered to find again as this issue really isn't important -- there were 1.7 NA subscribers and 1.6 EU.  The rest were from the Asia territories.

So if those sources were to be trusted (and I typically go through some rigorous research before accepting sources as legitimate, so I'm inclined to believe they were when I read them), we have a 3.3 Million $15 a month count, and five million pay as you play.

Still an amazing game for it's time; also hard to believe that it's been so popular for as long as it has.  Eight years and still having over eight million pay just to play their game.

If we see any slow down in features added, support or expansions, then there is little hope for any other game on the market who can only dream of this amount.  So it's highly likely they aren't hurting at all, unless the industry itself is hurting more than any of us figure (and not just morally).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Oh i know korean market is one of the most aggresive mmo markets on the planet :)
    They also have a little bit diffrent vieuw of how games should be in terms of grinding and stuff.
    I have much respect for the Korean gamers and i know they have some of the most competitive gamers in the world.

I think the biggest playerbase for WoW is China / Japan. Koreans are spoiled with mmo's a few tittles to name are Archage / Blade and Soul :)

Still people should not buy Blizzards sub numbers for granted its more propaganda then real facts.
    Once they show how many subs they have in EU / USA things would be diffrent, untill then its a known fact Asia counts for massive numebers of subs :P

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Nice to see people throwing around 'facts' when there is nothing really that solid for either side.

Loved the one earlier that put asian subs at 80%, so at 8mill total that would leave 1.6mill western subs @ $15/piece making approx $72,000,000 in subs in three months which would leave £203,000,000 of the £275,000,000 made from subs and other sales in the first quarter of this year accounted for by the asian market?!?

OK there are box sales, pets, transfers etc as well, but you get the idea that in one hand the asian market doesn't generate that much income, but in the other they are the majority of subs.....just doesn't seem to add up.

Personally i have always maintained that there were around 4-4.5Mill western subs over the last few years, fluctuating from time to time of course and this is somewhat supported by the box sales of the last couple of launches (2.7M & 3.3M in the initial launch stages) and sorta bears out the figures we are seeing for quarterly subs, but again without any solid split from Blizz who can say.

Either way, this is a good deal for those who want to dabble in the game again for a bit and see what changes have been made in the last couple of releases.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96

When WoW goes down

Blizzard : RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!!

i mean go on sale :)

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    while im not a fan of how casual the game has gone.... if you are looking for a casual friendly mmo with all the bells and whistles and you haven't played WoW... its a good deal.
  • gridiron70gridiron70 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    They still don't include 30 days of play for the price of the box. That irks me so I won't buy it. Have to many other Games to play anyway
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the last time Blizzard announced a regional breakdown was 5 years ago

55% Asian  vs  45% nonAsian

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/01/22/world-of-warcraft-hits-10-million-subscribers/

Asia is the biggest market at the moment, with more than 5.5 million players, as compared to North America's 2.5 million and 2 million subscribers in Europe.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by gridiron70
    They still don't include 30 days of play for the price of the box. That irks me so I won't buy it. Have to many other Games to play anyway

If you are buying the battle chest which includes the original game, BC & Wrath, you get the first month free as well. Expansions don't include game time, don't know an expansion that ever has?

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.