Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPGs the past 10 years = MOHLLDs ? (Massively Over Hyped Lack Luster Disappointments)

Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

MMORPGs the past 10 years = MOHLLDs ? (Massively Over Hyped Lack Luster Disappointments)

I find myself excited for 3 mmos on the horizon at the moment...

Everquest Next - According to the staff here at mmorpg.com it's gonna blow our minds when we see the reveal in August. We know virtually NOTHING however.

Elderscrolls Online - How could the makers of such a deep game like Skyrim miss with an 'online Skyrim'? Sounds like a no brainer for in instant success and insanely great game.

Camelot Unchained - Sooo, Mark Jacobs has the desire to bring back RvR in an all new mmo that should bring 'Dark Age of Camelot' type fun into a modern mmo? Yay!

--------------------

Other mmo games looks promising as well such as Archeage, but all this excitment for all these upcoming promising mmos leave me remembering all too well so many games, both niche and backed by popular well funded companies that have fallen FLAT on their face on release. - At least fallen flat on their face compared to their excitment levels and hype.

Let's go over a few...

Mourning - Who that was around can forget 2005 and 2006 when Mourning generated a TON of hype for an all new Ultima Online PvP type of experience and the drama created by LoudAnt software and if you've never seen the thread famous on mmorpg.com about it, then you're missing out... I think it was like 2000 posts long, epic lol. And the game was of course an epic failure.

Dark and Light - Another Indie mmo which promised the world and the world biggest single server world which could host 20,000+ players launched to one of the worst disaster launches I think I've ever seen. I remember being there at launch and walking in the air, falling though the world, glitches galore, and it never did get fixed. The hype for this game was insane as well.

Oh man I could talk about every game but this post would be 9 miles long if I did...

So let me just mention a small fraction of the many, many over hyped "Wow-Killer" games the have failed to even come close to filling their hype levels at launch over the past 8 years...

Warhammer Online, lol. Oh my. Mythic's next great DAoC was a disaster even though it did play well and the pvp battles were fun for a while.

Age of Conan - Perhaps the most over hyped game of them all, but hey at least it played well and is still going today, even if it did have to go F2P to survive.

Vanguard, by SOE. Ugh, Huge beautiful world, no players!! So much potential, BAM!

Turbines D&D Online and Lord of the Rings Online were both epic disappointments that failed to match the big names they were made after.

Mortal Online, another Ultima Online fail. Still is a mess more then 3 years after launch.

Star Wars, Aion, Rift, and even Guild Wars 2 were all games with amazing graphics that played well, but just feel so far short of what they should have/could have been.

I think the one game I had the most fun with in all these years was Darkfall and that ironically is the one game I was the biggest troll against during its insanely long development time. It surprised me by being as playable and "fun" as it was even with all the missing content and bugs.

I know I have missed at least 20 big mmo fails over the past several years... I'm sure some more will come up here.

But isn't it sad that there really hasn't been a single mmo that has met the promises and/or hype level since World of Warcraft some NINE YEARS AGO??

Can we really believe that any of these new promising mmos on the horizon will be any different?

{Sigh}

- Zaxx

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    There are many, many, many more people playing MMOs today than were playing them 10 years ago, that's not a disappointment, that's a rousing success.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Originally posted by Cephus404
    There are many, many, many more people playing MMOs today than were playing them 10 years ago, that's not a disappointment, that's a rousing success.

While I agree with you that the popularity of mmos has exploded in the past ten years, especially since World of Warcraft was born... I wouldn't say mmos today are a 'rousing success' by any stretch of the imagination.

95% of the mmos today are either point n click Korean/Chinese garbage, or they are a dime-a-dozen cookie cutter clones just trying to suck off the success of World of Warcraft.

Most mmos today have ZERO creativity, ZERO originality, ZERO soul behind them, and are only made to try to make a buck.

..And it shows!

I'm so sick of seeing boring, brainless content mmos with explanation points and question marks above static NPCs that I could scream. Most of these MMOs today while sporting shiny covers and graphics don't even have half the creativity of a 1990s dial up MUD game.

I want to see worlds that look like they were made by hand, with a vision. Not another 'randomly generated' looking world to spawn into where every rock, bush, and tree just looks like it was randomly placed by some world generating terrain program.

I want to feel like I'm doing something in the game that someone put some actual thought into. I don't want to go kill 10 firesouls or wolves, and I damn sure don't want to collect 15 wolf teeth, for god sake.

You just cannot compare worlds like the original Ultima Online's Felucia or Asherons Call's Dereth with these mindless, soul-less worlds in mmos today. There's nothing there beyond the shiny graphics. And while I like the Rift game alright for what it is, it just doesn't compare with the soul that was found in the origial Ultima Online back in the day. I don't get excited playing Rift, not even for a second. I can't tell you how many times my heart raced back in the Ultima Online pre-Trammel days. Yes, while Rift certainly has graphics 100 times better then Ultima Online, it has about 1/100th of the creativity and life that UO had.

Yes, mmos are much more popular today. But they all just feel like another dime-a-dozen worlds only made to make a dollar. I just don't feel any honest and pure soul in any of them.

And that to me is sad, especially with all the mmo gamers that I'm sure would love to experience what myself and so many others from the early mmo days felt.

- Zaxx

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

I don't want to be the nostalgia,old man from the dark ages, but I can't help myself :) Ibeen gaming since pre-internet WWW back in the BBS days over 30 years ago. I grew up with the first computers ever created for public use and have been an avid video gamer since. Before and during that initial phase of the video game I was a hardcore MUD and DnD player.

I wouldn't say there has not been any good mmo's in the last ten years, perhaps since WOW yes,for me that is. Nothing can capture the old days for me. Back then it was a tight knit group with killer communities. We took care of each other in game as well and if you became a cement head you better forget about playing with anyone as there was tons of accountability. The only way around it was to start over with a new toon but then most cement heads can't keep their mouth shut or stop being a cement head and started the process over.

Today communities absolutely suck. No way of getting around it. Now were fed virtual treadmills that we solo to end game. But  it is what it is. I am much older and I honestly have no desire to go back to 12+ hour daily game grinds. I am pretty much done with the mmo treadmill. I quit building massive gaming rigs and I think I am just going to get me a PS4 and dive headlong into Destiny.

I was a 6 year ongoing tester for DAOC and 2 year WAR tester and I have zero faith in the Jacobs dynasty. The people that helped make DAOC what it was are long gone on other projects and that team was about as magical as the WOW phenomenon.

Same goes with EQ Next, its going to be a huge disappointment. MMO gaming for us old dog veterans is pretty much done. However, for those enjoying the current mmo scene I wish you continued success and most importantly fun. For me I hungmy hat up a year ago....

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• MMORPGRIPMMORPGRIP Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by zaxtor99

Originally posted by Cephus404

While I agree with you that the popularity of mmos has exploded in the past ten years, especially since World of Warcraft was born... I wouldn't say mmos today are a 'rousing success' by any stretch of the imagination.

95% of the mmos today are either point n click Korean/Chinese garbage, or they are a dime-a-dozen cookie cutter clones just trying to suck off the success of World of Warcraft.

Most mmos today have ZERO creativity, ZERO originality, ZERO soul behind them, and are only made to try to make a buck.

..And it shows!

I'm so sick of seeing boring, brainless content mmos with explanation points and question marks above static NPCs that I could scream. Most of these MMOs today while sporting shiny covers and graphics don't even have half the creativity of a 1990s dial up MUD game.

I want to see worlds that look like they were made by hand, with a vision. Not another 'randomly generated' looking world to spawn into where every rock, bush, and tree just looks like it was randomly placed by some world generating terrain program.

I want to feel like I'm doing something in the game that someone put some actual thought into. I don't want to go kill 10 firesouls or wolves, and I damn sure don't want to collect 15 wolf teeth, for god sake.

You just cannot compare worlds like the original Ultima Online's Felucia or Asherons Call's Dereth with these mindless, soul-less worlds in mmos today. There's nothing there beyond the shiny graphics. And while I like the Rift game alright for what it is, it just doesn't compare with the soul that was found in the origial Ultima Online back in the day. I don't get excited playing Rift, not even for a second. I can't tell you how many times my heart raced back in the Ultima Online pre-Trammel days. Yes, while Rift certainly has graphics 100 times better then Ultima Online, it has about 1/100th of the creativity and life that UO had.

Yes, mmos are much more popular today. But they all just feel like another dime-a-dozen worlds only made to make a dollar. I just don't feel any honest and pure soul in any of them.

And that to me is sad, especially with all the mmo gamers that I'm sure would love to experience what myself and so many others from the early mmo days felt.

- Zaxx

While I am on the same page as you, the highlighted portion you are wrong about.

Unfortunately, because of what someone earlier in the post mentioned....most MMORPG gamers today are content with the hamster wheel theme parks, and think those such as you who mention "experiencing what you felt, and the feeling of immersion, etc." are just wearing rose tinted glasses and it's purely "nostalgia".

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I can see a new reader of this site being let down by hype of the first game that catches their eye, but any of us who have been around here for a while should know the drill.  I don't want to be just a joyless bitter vet only pining for things that don't exist.  I am that at times, but I'm also here to see the variety that's really out there, to feed vicariously off the joy of others and that requires finding ways to let the fun in, hopefully without letting my brain fall out.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    I blame instant gratification, people are lazy and don't want to have to work for it. Now that the casual gamers have realized that the classic games were "good" they want to be able to play the "good" content without having to put forth the effort.

Gratification is the goal of gaming.  A game gains nothing by hiding its gratification.

Games should also strive to be gratifying long-term, but at a minimum they should start out being instantly gratifying.

People are only "lazy" insofar as they don't want their time wasted.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver