Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar vs GW2: A war of Warriors

SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

From the E3 event last week released footage of Wildstar's Warrior class played by actual players.  This is non-scripted, non-developer controlled gameplay showing the basic starting of the game.   Character creation is not there at all (at least, I'm hoping it was missing otherwise there's a huge issue with what was there).  There is a cinematic of the Dominion ship dropping off the player into the starting zone.

The main point of this comparison video?   To show off combat in one vs. the combat of the other. 

Players assume that they think that raiding, "phat lewt", and an end-game consisting carrot-chasing grind is what matters in an MMORPG.  Those people are brainwashed and delusional.  A game is supposed to be fun playing it as your interaction with the game itself.  What do you do mostly in these games?  Well...that would be combat.

P.S.  I know it's "beta" footage, but with a scheduled release in the next 6 months (2013, right?), it's doubtful that the whole combat system will change or be overhauled.   Yes, the music is almost entirely from Guild Wars 2 and that makes the video somewhat biased.   And finally, yes, I am crazy.

Comments

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Considering I thought GW2 combat was crap, alsochasing a carrot isn t a bad thing if that's what people like, doesn t make it right or wrong, just something you don t like. I mean If I said "people that think GW2 combat  is good is delusional" is that fair, no, I just think it s crap.
  • ThreshThresh Member Posts: 52
    Judging by that vid alone, WS looks a lot more interesting, low level wise, at least. GW2 the guy just uses autoattack and occasionally presses 2 or 3. Also even tutorial level entry level mobs in WS are not as trivial, combat is far more engaging. And that vid quality is atrocious. Should have just linked the original video to compare.
  • timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    One thing really annoyed me in the WS part, the voice saying "Double Kill!" in a fancy "move-trailer-voice".
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Considering I thought GW2 combat was crap, alsochasing a carrot isn t a bad thing if that's what people like, doesn t make it right or wrong, just something you don t like. I mean If I said "people that think GW2 combat  is good is delusional" is that fair, no, I just think it s crap.

What type of combat do you like? Are you a tab/target combat person?

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Jeez the Wildstar combat looks really slow.  I'm sure beta and lower level gameplay have something to do with that,..hopefully.  Watching their warrior attack was like *swing*...........................*swing*..............................*swing*.................*spin*........................*swing*........................(repeat).  It still looks better than pretty much all of the other run of the mill MMOs but not quite up to the fluidity and speed of GW2 combat.  However, I'm sure there are plenty of people who still like combat that allows you to have one hand in a Dorrito bag and the other on the keyboard.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

GW2 combat is clunky, unresponsive and dated and isn't truly action combat. I hope WildStar's combat feels better.  

No one is brainwashed over endgame.  Endgame matters in MMOs, which is why the majority of GW2 servers are dead because players have nothing to do.

Wildstar combat looks ok and fun, not as mobile/fuild as GW2s though. Unfortunately for WS I cannot get past the art style :(

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass

No one is brainwashed over endgame.  Endgame matters in MMOs, which is why the majority of GW2 servers are dead because players have nothing to do.

Haha, thanx you made milk come out of my nose!

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Indeed, If I wanted to play a pure skill-based game to play I'd choose plethora of other genres there are. I think it's safe to say that majority of rpg/mmorpg players prefer progression.

Originally posted by rodingo

Which part?  Servers are dead or players have nothing to do part?

Do me a favor, go to Lion's Arch the so called "populated" area and you will see more NPCs than players.

Their sPvP scene is booming, I hear.

Do me a favor, go to Lion's Arch the so called "populated" area and you will see more NPCs than players.

It's heavily populated in my server. If you don't like the game there is no need to lie, just say "I don't like X game".

Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by Thresh

Indeed, If I wanted to play a pure skill-based game to play I'd choose plethora of other genres there are. I think it's safe to say that majority of rpg/mmorpg players prefer progression.

I am one of them.

I dont think MMORPGs should be about balance and pure skill based pvp. Dont know where the people asking for this come, but I think this is not the right genre for them. FPS / RTS would serve them better.

Why does it have to be bound to a genre? I want to be able to play with my MMO avatar that uses skills in balanced pvp battle sometimes. There is no reason to only limit things per genre, if you don't like it. That is ok, but that doesn't mean it should not be done at all.

• BlackadderaBlackaddera Member Posts: 69
    As I've played GW2 I can tell you this: I finished the story at lvl 57 with ease, not at 60 to get to 60 from 57 I had to grind mobs. And let me tell you this about 3 top lvls grinding: BORING! I mean I had to kill about 5-6k mobs for it. Wildstar looks like a great game, just hope it's not to easy.

the steel shines red with enemy blood. It sings of victory, granted by the gods. And as they return bleeding but proud, the horizon burns and the song is ringing LOUD!

Originally posted by Kuppa

It's heavily populated in my server. If you don't like the game there is no need to lie, just say "I don't like X game".

Off course I don't like the game, it is one of the worst MMOs I played (Along with FFXIV 1.0 and STO).  I can list 10 - 15 stats about how badly it failed. But my point was that GW2 had no longevity due to the fact that there was no end game.  The OP tried to suggest that end game doesn't matter.  But it does and it is the most important part of MMOs. 

I am one of them.

I dont think MMORPGs should be about balance and pure skill based pvp. Dont know where the people asking for this come, but I think this is not the right genre for them. FPS / RTS would serve them better.

Why does it have to be bound to a genre? I want to be able to play with my MMO avatar that uses skills in balanced pvp battle sometimes. There is no reason to only limit things per genre, if you don't like it. That is ok, but that doesn't mean it should not be done at all.

It's hard to give a concrete reason why, but I think it boils down to how rpg genre evolved, from early PnP based gameplay to define what rpg genre is. Upgrading your characters with time and obtaining better gear were a big part of the process.

Off course I don't like the game, it is one of the worst MMOs I played (Along with FFXIV 1.0 and STO).  I can list 10 - 15 stats about how badly it failed. But my point was that GW2 had no longevity due to the fact that there was no end game.  The OP tried to suggest that end game doesn't matter.  But it does and it is the most important part of MMOs. 

It's ok you didn't like it and ok that you have a list of 10-15 things you don't like about it, I agree that endgame is important. But...lying about the game is not going to give your statements any credibility.

I am one of them.

It's hard to give a concrete reason why, but I think it boils down to how rpg genre evolved, from early PnP based gameplay to define what rpg genre is. Upgrading your characters with time and obtaining better gear were a big part of the process.

I completely agree that character development is huge. But, there is no reason to limit the genre just because the development is not the same in sPvP.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Pirates V Ninjas,Plants V Zombies,Kramer V Kramer all these things beat Wildstar V GW2.

/thread

hehe

It's ok you didn't like it and ok that you have a list of 10-15 things you don't like about it, I agree that endgame is important. But...lying about the game is not going to give your statements any credibility.

It is not a list of things I don't like.  It is a list of facts about how badly the game is doing.  Here is one, go to the Mists and see how many people are on sPvP servers.  Across all servers during peak times you will find a maximum of 200-300 players.  Yes, that is all there is.  Shocking I know. That is one, if you want more of these facts that you can also check yourself let me know.

It is not a list of things I don't like.  It is a list of facts about how badly the game is doing.  Here is one, go to the Mists and see how many people are on sPvP servers.  Across all servers during peak times you will find a maximum of 200-300 players.  Yes, that is all there is.  Shocking I know. That is one, if you want more of these facts that you can also check yourself let me know.

Lie again....I play spvp almost every day. There are more than 200-300 during peak times(not counting tourneys and wvw which is a different form of pvp.). Don't try to make stuff up I actually play the game.

• lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108
    I never liked GW2, the combat was just WAAAAAAAAAY too clunky for me. I don't know how people even enjoy PvP in that game, haha. People all have their own tastes I geuss.

Lie again....I play spvp almost every day. There are more than 200-300 during peak times(not counting tourneys and wvw which is a different form of pvp.). Don't try to make stuff up I actually play the game.

You can check it out yourself right now.  Go right ahead and log into the Mists.  It will take you about 2-3 minutes to count it.

You can check it out yourself right now.  Go right ahead and log into the Mists.  It will take you about 2-3 minutes to count it.

This isn't peak times...and it still probably has more ppl there than most mmo arenas. And I can assure you there are tons of folks playing wvw right now as well. There is endgame, that you don't like it is another thing.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Thanks for the vid - Now Wildstar is finally completely off my list of things to follow.

Simply looked unfun to me and the animations... Eeew :(

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)