Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else wish they had gone a little more realistic with the GFX?

Comments

• gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164
    with today's capabilities, these graphics are unacceptable to me. I showed a video of the game to my wife and she asked if it as a WoW expansion.. and she hasn't played WoW since vanilla.. pass.
  • zero462usazero462usa Member Posts: 26

I have a friend who was interested in WS but after getting into the beta is going to pass on it. Graphics are waaaaaay off. The game just looks horrible to me. The way ncsoft has treated customers is also throwing me off from going with any nc mmo's in the future as well. Aion is a perfectly decent game yet core mechanics issues, cash shop over price, no gms or any presence from ncsoft has just made me turn my nose up...and that's tough bc I've been playing since cbt2.

didn't mean to hijack the thread and make it about Aion but the service from ncsoft is horrendous and I don't expect any different when this ugly POS fails. It's just too dated.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by NagelRitter
    I just don't care for the combination of artstyle, colors, and graphics to do it in general. And note that I don't mind how WoW looks at all, but this game I can't stand. It's not just blocky due to lack of power, it's blocky and silly on purpose... well, I'm sure that appeals to someone, but for me it killed all interest in the game. It really does indeed feel like Crash Bandicoot and I don't want to play a Crash Bandicoot MMO...

Man I do.

a yo ho ho

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I, personally, love the decision they made with the graphics. 

I, traditionally hate "realistic" type of graphics in MMOs, the colors all tend to fall into the grey/green/brown catagory, like what happened with AoC.

The stylized look, also tends to age a bit better imo.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by 3-4thElf

Man I do.

Well, like I said, I am sure it appeals to someone. Hopefully, it's enough for the game to thrive if other stuff is in check.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149
    If I were allowed to, I could say that the textures have a higher resolution than those in SW:TOR.
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Abrraham
    If I were allowed to, I could say that the textures have a higher resolution than those in SW:TOR.

All I will say is this, going by the video's we have seen and everthing else Carbine has let us in on.  It looks like they have made one AMAZING GAME....

Can't wait to play it...

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

The cartoonish style doesn't really appeal to me, but I can understand why it was chosen. The problem so far is that they simply are just not that good. It not like the cartoony style has been complemented by modern tech like borderlands -- they pretty much just ripped off the WoW graphical style almost exactly.

Do people who just spent years in WoW want to play a game that looks almost identical? Carbine seems to think so.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    I'm offended by the comparison. WoW looks much better than this, you could at least take it seriously, this looks to be done in the style of MDK 2 or something...

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• daveyjonezdaveyjonez Member Posts: 6
    The grimdark art style is way overplayed.  It doesn't age well, and it is not appealing to all.  The bright fun cartoon style has a much larger audience, and it ages seamlessly.  Far superior for an MMO!
  • shane242shane242 Member UncommonPosts: 95

realistic art style is hard to pull off well without an insane amount of power, the chosen art style allows the game to be acceptable to  a much bigger user base without the need for so much power.

• zeeshzunzeeshzun Member Posts: 13
    Toony style is also much much easier to implement. You can sacrifice all kinds of quality texture and models this way. However, it has some of the same issues that a more realistic look has. It turns many people away from the game. World of Warcraft was one of a kind, and people were very forgiving for the most part since many of the players didn't actually like the art style at all. Many players did, though. Just like realistic style tends to turn many people off of a game, so does cartoon style. It's really up in the air at this point. It definitely fits the feel of the game, but the fact that it looks similar to WoW may not be the boon the devs were hoping for... It might actually have the opposite effect judging by many of the comments you see on youtube and first impressions.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I recently went back to WoW after amost 4 years... And the one thing i noticed is that their cartoony graphics still looked acceptable..  Espescially if you compared them to more recent and realistic graphics games like Vanguard.

Cartoony graphics are timeless where realistic games grow old much faster. So if you want to build a game to last a devade and longer, a cartoony aetstyle is the only way to go..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• zeeshzunzeeshzun Member Posts: 13

I honestly think there is a point at which realistic graphics hit a cap at which point they age rather well. At some point the graphics have so many polygons that it honestly doesn't matter what kind of advances come out, it will look as realistic as it was meant to, and will be fine down the line. I'm pretty sure GW2 graphics will age very well for instance as they were made into the image they were intended to be, and jagged edges aren't really a problem at this point. Back in the days of EQ, yes, but that was many years ago and technology has come a long way.

For the record, WoW is the only cartoon styled MMORPG to have more than 2 million active accounts, and really the only cartoon styled MMORPG to be in the top list at all, unless you count runescape as cartoony. I think there should be a good mix between stylized and realistic to get that perfect, unique, and immersive feel.

• daveyjonezdaveyjonez Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by zeeshzun

I honestly think there is a point at which realistic graphics hit a cap at which point they age rather well. At some point the graphics have so many polygons that it honestly doesn't matter what kind of advances come out, it will look as realistic as it was meant to, and will be fine down the line. I'm pretty sure GW2 graphics will age very well for instance as they were made into the image they were intended to be, and jagged edges aren't really a problem at this point. Back in the days of EQ, yes, but that was many years ago and technology has come a long way.

For the record, WoW is the only cartoon styled MMORPG to have more than 2 million active accounts, and really the only cartoon styled MMORPG to be in the top list at all, unless you count runescape as cartoony. I think there should be a good mix between stylized and realistic to get that perfect, unique, and immersive feel.

That is a possibility. 

TV is getting to that point. 

How much difference in quality can you actually see from a 1440p and 1080p?  Its almost nothing.

Games not so much as of yet. 

It will still take some time to get there.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    They are extremely cartoony and the world graphics are nadda...however, the graphics are playable and I'd rather have a game where a lot of people can play at once with no lag than a laggy beautiful game.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• loupokamiloupokami Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I've played too many shitty games that had gorgeous graphics. I didn't care for the cartoony style of WoW when I first started playing it, then after a while I got used to it. Now I love the style, and it fits the overall Ratchet and Clank tone of the game. Now if the game looked like Borderlands 2, couldn't play it. 
  • AvridAvrid Member Posts: 7

I don't think a more realistic art would fit the game,  going on what they have showed us in the vids and the gameplay, i think the artwork fits the devs vision of the game.

That being said, after watching the EQN reveal last nite, if i was wildstar i would be asking for my female character to returned.  looked like a clone from the exile faction vid to me.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Stylized graphics are timeless and and most don't require a monster PC, MMO's that have gone the realistic route in the past look like shit today, tried AOC 4 months ago and i couldn't bear the graphics after playing Witcher 2.

On the other hand i played MoP for 1 month and didn't have any issues.

Stylized is definitely the smart business decision.

ArchAge is also a good example, i was impressed a few years ago when it was announced but now i am mildly amused at best.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The more videos of the game I see, the more acceptable I find the visuals.

I'm not happy they went so cartoonish. I really wish they had gone with more of a Pixar CGI look than the hand animated animation look. GFX chips and CPU power have come far enough to achieve that style. I'm not saying Brave or Shrek quality rendered real time for an MMO, but Toy Story seems doable. Basically, I wish the game actually looked more like that first CGI trailer for the game.

I do think they pull off a cartoon look better than any other game, but yeah, I do wish they had gone a little more realistic.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123

No. If I wanted realism I'd go outside. I don't have anything against realistic graphics but I'm also tired of people in these forums forcing the same look in every game. These days no game is allowed to have an anime style, no game is allowed to have a cartoonish style, just like every game must have the same combat system.

Do you really think, with Widlstar's brand of humor, races and mood, that realistic graphics would fit? I highly doubt it would. Not to mention a few years down the road the same people who wanted the style would probably turn around and call it ugly once the new games come around. Realism only pleases gamers for the moment.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    If they own it like they do in the ads it won't a problem.  The issue is when you get games with unrealistic graphics that try to be realistic.  This game seems to say we're going to just give you an insanely fun game and everything be damned (except maybe a little gravity).
  • Home15Home15 Member Posts: 203

Realistic graphics in MMO's always tend to look plastic looking.

That realy puts me off.

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

Considering the tone and feel of the game (Silly, satirical), I wouldn't want dark, gritty, or a realistic look. None of those really fit. And for those of you who say the graphics make it look kiddy: The look of the game doesn't fully decide its tone or feel.

I don't get why so many people want to have these dark, gritty game. I, for one, welcome Wildstar's silly and lighthearted feel.  Not to mention it doesn't make it any less adult.

I mean, look at Warcraft. Cartoony look, right? Maybe, but Arthas still massacred the kingdom he was suppose to protect, the orcs were still enslaved, and the undead still did brutal and unethical experiments.

But no, the graphics totally make wow for kids.

Groovy.

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    I had concerns about how this art style would compete with ESO's, but after watching Quakecon 2013 today those worries ended immediately.  I was excited for ESO, more so than WS, but that gameplay footage killed it for me.  That game isn't even out yet, and it already looks quite dated.  That is why the realistic style just doesn't work in MMOs.  Tera's realistic style looks 10x better than ESO imo.