Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks like my biggest worry has come to fruition

KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
So...as the title states I'm a bit disenheartened by everything I've heard about the combat so far.  The ONE thing I was hoping they would keep mostly intact has (it seems) been perverted into a dumbed down hotbar click fest.  EVERY single other element of the game has changed for the better immensely from what i've gathered, which makes me extremely happy as a legacy player, dont get me wrong.  I suppose I will be playing the game for everything BUT the combat unless it changes....which I don't see happening.  I realize that with good changes usually come changes you'e not going to like.....but I can live with it knowing that the overwhelming majority of everything has been changed for the better.

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    What was it before? Besides boring?

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    What exactly where you looking for?

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Kajidourden
    So...as the title states I'm a bit disenheartened by everything I've heard about the combat so far.  The ONE thing I was hoping they would keep mostly intact has (it seems) been perverted into a dumbed down hotbar click fest.  EVERY single other element of the game has changed for the better immensely from what i've gathered, which makes me extremely happy as a legacy player, dont get me wrong.  I suppose I will be playing the game for everything BUT the combat unless it changes....which I don't see happening.  I realize that with good changes usually come changes you'e not going to like.....but I can live with it knowing that the overwhelming majority of everything has been changed for the better.

I don't even know what you are talking about, try explaining yourself better rather than using troll lingo.  Always had a hotbar, have always been able to "click things" I have no idea what you are trying to convey here other than "ME ANGRY RARRRR!"

What don't you like about combat?  Starting with full TP?

Anyways, I would definitely not call it dumbed down.  Pretty much all jobs have been reworked to be more complex with unique systems, and the simplistic nature of gameplay in 1.0 for black mages, warriors, and monks seems to have been fixed.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

The previous combat system was bad in every sense of the word. The new one, while generic non-action, is infinitely better.

Basically its like a newer version of EQ or WoW, if that doesn't appeal to you then yes, I guess you will be disappointed.

• thundergodtthundergodt Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I am with the OP on this one the game is far better in every way but the combat. I liked the old system with the stamina, it made combat faster than it is now.  before you can spam normal attack with stam to build tp then pop a big tp move. now all tp is got from auto attack witch is set at weapon speed and you have no way to make it faster.  yes you start at full tp but once you get low it will never fill up if you keep attacking, it made it way boring. old system was faster yes it was more mashing the one key but i liked that it let me use the skills i liked at my own speed and not wait mins for auto attack to  give me tp.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Doomsday posts based on hearsay regarding a predetermined stance on a feature of a game yet to be released...

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

Combat thus far is the most disappointing aspect of the game.

Legit pressing 1 -> 2, or 1 -> 2 -> 3 for hours. AA's have no purpose essentially. It feels entirely too spammy and not nearly strategic in the slightest at the moment. Hopefully this changes post level 30, but thus far... every other element of the game is strong in comparison to combat.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• hulgarhulgar Member Posts: 93
    Mmm..let me see..so now i cant use the powerfull skills because i get low in TP..that means that in long combats i have to pace myself and not spam 1111111..2..1111111...2 hell i sometimes even find myself cursing wgen a new wave arrives because i have to autoattack to regsin TP..yes..is slower..yes is more fun..but dumbed down?..dont think so
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by Cymdai

Combat thus far is the most disappointing aspect of the game.

Legit pressing 1 -> 2, or 1 -> 2 -> 3 for hours. AA's have no purpose essentially. It feels entirely too spammy and not nearly strategic in the slightest at the moment. Hopefully this changes post level 30, but thus far... every other element of the game is strong in comparison to combat.

We have yet to see jobs, but don't get your hopes up yet for less spamming. From what I understand classes are solo play and jobs are group play classes. The combat works in combo chains so you might find yourself repeating the same 1-5 buttons. They tried the strategic route some liked it most didn't I'm glad they did cause the cooldowns were ridiculous.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Doomsday posts based on hearsay regarding a predetermined stance on a feature of a game yet to be released...

Yet it does server a purpose.  It gets into people's heads and they can't help but talk about how they agree/disagree.  From this I can gather even more information :D

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Did you not play FFXI or FFXIV?

Both games have always been hotbar click fests. The difference? Before you had to macro everything. Now you don't. I guess that's enough to totally ruin combat in your eyes.

That's not to say that some things haven't been dumbed down. For one I'm pretty annoyed they seem to have removed the whole renkai system. I really hope they bring that back, instead of this '1 limit break fits all' approach. Other than that, the combat is fairly enjoyable so far. They definitely simplified certain aspects of it, but they also added others. It's a different game, so there will be some give & take.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Murugan

I don't even know what you are talking about, try explaining yourself better rather than using troll lingo.  Always had a hotbar, have always been able to "click things" I have no idea what you are trying to convey here other than "ME ANGRY RARRRR!"

What don't you like about combat?  Starting with full TP?

Anyways, I would definitely not call it dumbed down.  Pretty much all jobs have been reworked to be more complex with unique systems, and the simplistic nature of gameplay in 1.0 for black mages, warriors, and monks seems to have been fixed.

Not trying to troll here, but could you explain some of these "complex with unique systems" you're referring to? So far, I have to reluctantly agree with some of the others that the combat aspect of the game seems to be a weak point. Unless it gets considerably more strategic and thought-provoking in the later levels, I don't think it's going to last for me. There's only so many times I can hit the same rotation of 5 skills before sleep-mode kicks in. Does it become less about spamming and more about timing/positioning/strategy later on?

Aside from that, I love everything else about the game so far.

This discussion has been closed.