Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for an open world PvE MMORPG

majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Hi. Can anyone recommend me an open world PvE MMORPG? You know, where you don't have to follow a single path all the time, but can actually walk where you want to?

Thanks. :)

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    The only good ones are all old.  Unfortunately Blizzard created a behemoth with their linear game and every company since is following suit.  If I was to recommend an Open PvE MMO right now it would have to be Asheron's Call.  The future is looking a bit brighter with EQNext and ArcheAge.  Last week I would of recommended TESO but those days are over with their recent decision to cross platform to console which will destroy communities and dumb the game down.  Pure cash grab IMO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Vanguard Sega of heroes

https://www.vanguardthegame.com/

Its pretty good there are multiple areas in the world where you can level so you dont have to follow it from point to point. Its a massive open world PVE MMORPG, it has great classes, awesome crafting, the combat system is just your average tab target stuff tho..

Its quite an old game now but saying that with all the graphics maxed out it can keep up with some of the recent released f2p MMOs.

Its on steam as well so might be quicker to download there.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    The only good ones are all old.  Unfortunately Blizzard created a behemoth with their linear game and every company since is following suit.  If I was to recommend an Open PvE MMO right now it would have to be Asheron's Call.  The future is looking a bit brighter with EQNext and ArcheAge.  Last week I would of recommended TESO but those days are over with their recent decision to cross platform to console which will destroy communities and dumb the game down.  Pure cash grab IMO.

TESO is not an open world mmo, even ArcheAge has instances.

Originally posted by Caldrin

Vanguard Sega of heroes

https://www.vanguardthegame.com/

Its pretty good there are multiple areas in the world where you can level so you dont have to follow it from point to point. Its a massive open world PVE MMORPG, it has great classes, awesome crafting, the combat system is just your average tab target stuff tho..

Its quite an old game now but saying that with all the graphics maxed out it can keep up with some of the recent released f2p MMOs.

Its on steam as well so might be quicker to download there.

This.

• mmobootsymmobootsy Member Posts: 48

Yes Vanguard is the one that came to mind to me too.

Personally I couldn't get used to the visuals, but the open world and the crafting and diplomacy systems are brilliant.

• mmobootsymmobootsy Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Last week I would of recommended TESO but those days are over with their recent decision to cross platform to console which will destroy communities and dumb the game down.  Pure cash grab IMO.

Any chance you get, right? :S

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Vanguard is a good choice, but it has lots of problems. If you want something more polished, pretty and populated, I'd recommend Guild Wars 2. After you get out of the "must do quests" mindset, it's a very open and large game with fantastic visuals. However, Vanguard's world is seamless and it's a more complex game mechanically.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

WoW, Vanguard, GW2, The Secret World.

There are a lot more but these 4 are the ones i find less linear in PvE.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I'd say Vanguard as well.

Also adding LotRO, by leveling it's not as open as Vanguard (though usually there are many parallel questlines to level in multiple areas, and the late xp changes put crafting in the bag too), but the world is seamless and huge. Ok, there are loading screens at the expansion borders like Moria :)

Originally posted by Scalpless

Vanguard is a good choice, but it has lots of problems. If you want something more polished, pretty and populated, I'd recommend Guild Wars 2. After you get out of the "must do quests" mindset, it's a very open and large game with fantastic visuals. However, Vanguard's world is seamless and it's a more complex game mechanically.

OP "looking for an open world PVE MMORPG"

GW2 does not fit that bill, it's instanced and has instanced dungeons and that's without the following the zerg system.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

OP "looking for an open world PVE MMORPG"

GW2 does not fit that bill, it's instanced and has instanced dungeons and that's without the following the zerg system.

Open world is somewhat subjective. It doesn't have to be seamless with no instances what-so-ever. He asked for a game where you can walk where you want to and don't have to follow a path. I'm no fan of gw2 but you can definitely go where you want to and there is no path to follow.

The opposite of open world to me would be a game like neverwinter. Small zones that never let you step off the path.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    i second the vanguard, other which come to my mind are AC2, Istaria or Ryzom
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by rojo6934

WoW, Vanguard, GW2, The Secret World.

There are a lot more but these 4 are the ones i find less linear in PvE.

WoW and TSW aren't even close to open world games....Both have tons of instancing and both are quest driven......Vanguard is a good choice (though a technological piece of garbage) and Fallen Earth is also a nice open world.