Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E3 is a Corporate Elite Scam!? WOW!

DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

Did you guys know about this? 2; sources : 

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-evil-elite-expo-of-2013-e3-2013 //

http://news.nohope.org/?p=1000

It would explain why Blizzcon was started; who would want to conform to a secret council of elite assholes... then again.. Vivendi own's Blizz; so whats the difference, lol. 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Sounds like the Bilderbergs of the MMO world.   It is a secret conspiracy to all get us to play WoW
  • BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    I tried reading that first link, but it wasn't an article, it was an entirely biased diatribe.  I gave up.   
  • DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by BrucyBonus
    I tried reading that first link, but it wasn't an article, it was an entirely biased diatribe.  I gave up.   

Oh, so you are a pro-gaming elite censor dude are you?  It's an opinion article, what did you expect. 

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

And just where did you get the impression that E3 was for the consumers?  It's a developers conference.

Those two links, to the same story I might add, come off as the rantings of some disgruntled fanatical.  It's right up there with the recent Scarlet Blade article... not news, merely an opinion smothered in a rant.

• Arkangel32Arkangel32 Member UncommonPosts: 83

E3 invites game companies who have been creating games for years, and have figured out how to make lots of money.

Not necessarily good games.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    I don't know if it's just me... but it literally makes me sick to hear people use the word "corporate" now. I don't know why, but it makes me what to punch a kitten in the face. 
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    You are being laughably agressive in trying to prove a point. Patience my friend. What other evidence do you have ?
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

This is how it's always been.  E3 has always been a big press event for the giants of gaming.  It's not a space for indies and there's nothing wrong with that.  There are other shows that feature indies more prominently and that's their venue (PAX for ex).   Just because you make games does not entitle you to press coverage or to be successful.  Sure you get more feels from people if you are an indie (oh poor small 2 person shop making retro looking game because of no money poor you), but the buck stops there.  You either make a good game and a good business and survive or you don't. 

There's plenty of amazing indie games btw.  I'm not knocking them at all despite disagreeing with the premise of the OP.

Steam: Neph

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    You are being laughably agressive in trying to prove a point. Patience my friend. What other evidence do you have ?

I'm sure the truckloads of reports of the ESA trying to get the Ouya booth shut down, and arrested on irrelevant pretenses to be something of a supporting notion. 

Second off, the ESA did infact lobby for SOPA/PIPA ~ I could go on, not in the mood, i'ma go play League, latas. 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Yeah, a very very bias article. Don't get me wrong, E3 has issues and in some ways does have its own 'corruption' going on, but a lot of that article is conspiracy theory that just is more easily laughed at then anything else.  While it tends to shun away the little guys which i feel is bad, the whole deal with the article mentioning the rating system and all is total BS and a half.
  • RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

E3 isn't an event for gamers, and hasn't been for many  years (if it ever was).  It is an event that is *related* to gaming, but not for gamers.

PAX is the convention for gamers now.

Really all their is to it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by BrucyBonus

Agreed. It was the conspiracy theorist approach of stating random mundane facts and then drawing wild conclusions based on that.

As it got toward the end, it seemed to shift toward an Ouya vs The Man fanboi ad.

From the bio at the end:

Travis Segretto - Majority of his work is directed at providing information that is directed to help consumers of video games make the reasonable smart choice when it comes to purchasing video game products.

So, basically he's a net nanny that feels the ESA and E3 shouldn't have a say in what you buy, only he should.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Yea E3 is probably more for the Elites of the gaming companies I can't really argue that point at all. If you're looking for more Indie developers showing up to a conference I'd say you'd be much better off with the Game Developers Conference (GDC) over E3.

E3 is a much more commercialized experienced between the two.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I thought when listening to microsoft this was an event for kids and when listening to Sony it was an event for investors.
    Originally posted by Divion
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

This is how it's always been.  E3 has always been a big press event for the giants of gaming.  It's not a space for indies and there's nothing wrong with that.  There are other shows that feature indies more prominently and that's their venue (PAX for ex).   Just because you make games does not entitle you to press coverage or to be successful.  Sure you get more feels from people if you are an indie (oh poor small 2 person shop making retro looking game because of no money poor you), but the buck stops there.  You either make a good game and a good business and survive or you don't. 

There's plenty of amazing indie games btw.  I'm not knocking them at all despite disagreeing with the premise of the OP.

[mod edit]

This has nothing to do with whether I agree with ESA or not. Personally I'd love to see more Indies at E3 and I think it's a shame more are not included.  However, the ESA has every right to do what they want and in that respect I'm fine with how they're proceeding.

I mean you don't go to McDonalds and demand that they serve pizza do you?  Different events are catered to different populations.  E3 is a huge press event for big game companies.  GDC, PAX, etc. have chosen to showcase indies more prominently.  Diversity is good for the marketplace.  There's plenty of room for everyone. 

If people want to cry that they're not let into E3 that's fine.  They're welcome to try and get the policies changed.  However, that does not mean there's anything wrong with E3 or ESA's mode of operations. This is a private company, hosting a private event, that they've paid for themselves, that's press only and not open to the public.  Therefore said company can decide who they want to let in and there's nothing wrong with that except folks who aren't allowed in getting their feelings hurt.  No one in this world has a right to never get their feelings hurt so there's no harm done.

By the same token there's no reason indies couldn't band together and have an indie only show that excludes all the larger companies. 

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Another thing your not taking into account. Who will pay for those indie companies. Should everyone else pick up the tab because you cant afford the several thousands of dollars it costs to put some of these things togeather. should we feel sorry for the indie groups, no. they got into this of their own choice, they didnt want to work at a mass company so they wont. I've worked in the indie music scene, we think it would be cool to be played on Music channels but we also don't think they should be forced to play us just because we exist.

Simply put E3 is NOT a place for indie developers. Never has been, Never will be. I'm not some bleeding heart liberal who thinks that we need to give everyone a ribbon for participation or display everyones art work for their effort. When they are ready to play with the big boys they will play with the big boys. 

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428
    i thought everyone knew e3 was all about the companies. its not for the gamer or peoplel, Its for devs and media to get together. If u want a conference totally focused on gamers go to comic con . Really e3 is a dev conference, While i like knowing whats going on it was never intended to be for me or u . 
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I watched some live camera men walking round the confrence and there was indeed a carp load of indie games there. Just thought I would point that out. Carry on.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by BadOrb

I watched some live camera men walking round the confrence and there was indeed a carp load of indie games there. Just thought I would point that out. Carry on.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Exactly. Actually, there's an entire hall dedicated to indie game developers. Had the writer of that rant come to E3 he would have seen that.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

If I remember correctly, E3 in the early years was about the developers showing off their newest works to potential customers AND investors right?

Can't remember the year when the doors were slammed shut on that, but I recall reading about people, gamers (like you and me) going to E3 and visiting all the booths, taking pictures, picking up nice gear and the such..

It's a much more formal event now, almost like the Grammys or something, rumors said something about the festering sexuality that started to run rampant (booth babes coming pretty close to being strippers, if they weren't already) that had something to do with it.. Perhaps it was for the best..

I think they are selective for a reason.. Now that it is a formal event, you cannot just let in anyone who considers themselves a developer.. Just as in anything there are a lot of red political tape and hoops to jump through.. I wouldn't call them an evil empire, but wealthy, oblivious and impervious to the needs of the few? Sure..

All those big companies have council boards that more than likely perform the same exact way..

Originally posted by Vyeth

If I remember correctly, E3 in the early years was about the developers showing off their newest works to potential customers AND investors right?

Can't remember the year when the doors were slammed shut on that, but I recall reading about people, gamers (like you and me) going to E3 and visiting all the booths, taking pictures, picking up nice gear and the such..

It's a much more formal event now, almost like the Grammys or something, rumors said something about the festering sexuality that started to run rampant (booth babes coming pretty close to being strippers, if they weren't already) that had something to do with it.. Perhaps it was for the best..

I think they are selective for a reason.. Now that it is a formal event, you cannot just let in anyone who considers themselves a developer.. Just as in anything there are a lot of red political tape and hoops to jump through.. I wouldn't call them an evil empire, but wealthy, oblivious and impervious to the needs of the few? Sure..

All those big companies have council boards that more than likely perform the same exact way..

E3 has historically always been a press only event.  I've found that gamers in general are under the impression that it either was once or is now open to the public and that's simply not the case and never has been.  That's not to say that there are no non-press folks present, but they gain entry through folks they know or deception.