Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5.4 "virtual realms" (or server merges?)

13»

Comments

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

I am not even going to answer the above.

Only to say this very simple fact:

"Players that will play within one virtual realm (consisting of a group of several single realms) will be able to play together as if they belong to one realm."

Be that by trade, by guild play, by grouping, by open world play.

1000 + 3000 +4000 + 500 +200 = 8700 players total that can and will play/trade together instead of 200 or 4000 now.

--- There is no longer a single realm play nor is there a "super server" for that matter ---

As everything will be clustered. If you would know anything about clustered servers and load balancing, you would not type the above at all.

If you can't live with the fact that world zones in WOW will be much more populated than in the past, I suggest you take another hobby. I logged in on WOW recently and was overwhelmed by the number of players around Goldshire. Not seen in 6 years. I was taken for a ride on a dual dragon across several zones from someone from a different server.

It is quite clear this mechanic works perfectly these days and now they put a more structured play behind it to allow trading/gouping/guild play.

Of course the above is a revolution in MMORPG land and you are acting like a child anyway.

Who cares even if you don't play the game anyway? When was the last time you logged into this game because you would see the massive populated zones these days.

Does that hurt or what ?

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by ChromeBallz

Originally posted by jpnz
    If your server can now accomodate 2x players than before (due to tech), it makes sense to merge two servers.

EVE is on one server so it'll be interesting if this is taken to that logical conclusion as well.

One giant mega-server for WoW... that'll be the day I actually re-sub, just to say 'I was there'.

EVE doesn't have instances though - There's only one 'copy' of any given place. With such a server merge you'd still have a massive amount of instances since the game world simply isn't designed to hold hundreds of thousands of people in the same spot.

EvE can't even hold more than 400 player wars (it's more like 200 at best, since multiboxing is tolerated in combat there) without rebooting the Tranquility cluster. -_- All this talk about one world servers, and a war between TEST and Goons causes reboots. Look at Jita (EvE's Stormwind) capped at 2100 players in the zone. The New Caldari event last month, again capped. The nerf to missiles because of the lag. Now they have Time dilation in an effort to not overload it's servers. This is with but 29k players online (rarely reaches about 50k) in a game that says it has 500k subscribers.