Rift Cash Shop

Comments

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,405

Played this upto, but not including Storm Legion.

Quick question - with the ftp model will you still have to purchase the SL expac or will it be downloadable as part of the overall game?

Thanks in anticipation

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne UKMember RarePosts: 3,543
    Originally posted by JudgeUK
    Played this upto, but not including Storm Legion. Quick question - with the ftp model will you still have to purchase the SL expac or will it be downloadable as part of the overall game? Thanks in anticipation

The SL content is free. The new souls aren't though.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • kevjardskevjards carlisleMember UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Arrogant_Wormy
    Wow... I mean just wow..   The cash shop is so full of weapons, armor, mounts, and pretty much everything. My guild defends it saying it isn't top raid gear... but who cares. I am so tired of watching games I love go F2P or shut down. I hate cash shops, and this one just takes the cake. They even sell bags! A top end bag goes for 4000P or roughly $20!!!   http://flic.kr/ps/PGTuU - Flickr box with the screen captures.

you could just not use it....its no different than any other that goes f2p.you know this company like many others will change it over a matter of time.you will get some good,some bad..but you are still left with choice.personally I don't care what they have in their shop...i'll never use it.unless they give me free REXor whatever its called.

• KareliaKarelia HeraklionMember Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Vannor
    So whats the gold price in those screens? There's a gold price next to the store currency prices on the gear and bags.... I haven't tried it yet but.... If you can buy those items directly from that store with gold as well, I just don't see any room for complaint. Even 4000 plat for the best bag is fairly easy to collect at endgame. Because the gear is no where near the best in the game.. I just see them as cosmetic skin purchases with stats as fluff. I've looked at the stats on those items on the PTS and they wouldn't replace any of the items on my main.. and I have never done a raid in Rift. If someone was running anything other than the first few (1-3) elite dungeons in that gear, they'd be shit. The 50 gear provides an immediate gear upgrade for heading into storm legion content and that is the only place someone gains an advantage. Not that they'll even need it. You can get decent gear for heading over to the SL content with daily PvP rewards as easy as anything and that only applies if you skipped a lot of the vanilla content. If you didn't skip content you won't need new gear for SL. To me, it looks like absolutely everything, and I mean 'everything', in the store can be bought with ingame gold, another ingame currency or loyalty points instead of with real money. Some things can't be bought with real money, like the PvP items.

this

+1

• AadienAadien Roseville, CAMember UncommonPosts: 220
    its funny on the forums, they are deleting ANYTHING bad you say about it, even if its a question. They dont care they are just making sure its nothing bad, and that it seems everyone loves it.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne UKMember RarePosts: 3,543
    Originally posted by Aadien
    its funny on the forums, they are deleting ANYTHING bad you say about it, even if its a question. They dont care they are just making sure its nothing bad, and that it seems everyone loves it.

Only on the general forums. Not the PTS forum.

Example:

http://forums.riftgame.com/public-test-shard/359646-rift-officially-paytowin.html

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 892
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

As much as a RIFT and Trion fanboy I've been since beta, I won't be making a return.

I've just now cancelled my sub to Rift. It's all I can do.

haha this is a joke right ? why would you sub to a ftp game anyways ?  the perks for subbing are a joke anyways .

• muffins89muffins89 Yakima, WAMember UncommonPosts: 1,585
    all of that gear you an easily acquire in game without spending a cent.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 892
    Originally posted by muffins89

Yep,  and I always thought pay 2 win games were the ones where you HAVE to pay or you cant win .

• muffins89muffins89 Yakima, WAMember UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Grailer

Yep,  and I always thought pay 2 win games were the ones where you HAVE to pay or you cant win .

let's market them as convenience items.  the players won't know the difference.

• EightBitNinjaEightBitNinja nipomo, CAMember UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by Grailer

Exactly.  A pay to win game means that there is no other way other than spending cash to get the items.  All that gear obtainable in game so I do not understand why people are getting upset.  I myself will continue to play and get gear the legit way, and other people buying their gear if they want wont ruin my experience at all.

• sancher36sancher36 houseMember UncommonPosts: 458

The gear on my main is better than what is in the cashshop so really I don't care, it will not affect how I play the game and I will continue on playing. 

Think of it as STARTER GEAR when you max level so who cares 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko JohannesburgMember EpicPosts: 6,592

How did anyone ever believe that this is NOT the way F2P games would go eventually ?

It will only stop when players refuse to buy the items, but there's no sign of that happening.

It's really only a matter of time before max-level characters (with optional extra epic gear) can be bought in the Cash Shop on Day 1.

And why not ? You could earn all that through normal game play as well, it would just "take longer". So selling max-level toons in the Cash Shop is not P2W...

• PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulMember Posts: 670
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Aadien

Only on the general forums. Not the PTS forum.

Example:

http://forums.riftgame.com/public-test-shard/359646-rift-officially-paytowin.html

Thanks for the link. This is an interesting thread to read. And Daglar pops in to say:

Couple of quick notes since its late - I'll read more of this tomorrow.

1. Everything on PTS is not finished nor is it final.

2. Feedback on the tablets is appreciated. There are a few additional things to keep in mind regarding it.

A. There is a cap on currency gain being put in. The intention would be to make the amount of gain from doing the core content be the cap.

B. Patron Passes receive these types of bonuses 1x per day.

C. Based on feedback, I may simply have these not affect the current top tier of tokens.

3. Nothing on the store allows you to bypass faction locks. You must have the proper faction to purchase things. That said, the credits prices on those essences were put on quite a while ago. Its on the list of things to review before things go live. Additional discussion about the ability to purchase those faction locked items like the essences among the community would be great.

4. Don't jump to conclusions and call me a liar based on PTS. You can gladly call me a liar when things hit live.

~Daglar

So let's see what happens when it goes live. But still...you know what they wanted to do. If they tone it down and get rid of the tablets, you still know they will do it or something else like it the first time they get a chance. And they would only take it down because of the backlash from their players.  

And he mentions elsewhere:

Everything on the store is per character. The Storm Legion souls are the exception to this when they get put up. 

At some point in time we may offer account wide bundles via the store...

http://forums.riftgame.com/search.php?searchid=7597404

If you don't mind these changes, then by all means, go for it. People just need to know how Trion is approaching this cash shop and think about it with all the other f2p and b2p options available and with new games coming out. Is this a model you want to support? That's the only question there is, really.

• MoodsorMoodsor HerningMember UncommonPosts: 697
    Just to correct some people in this thread, there has not been a change of CEO, theres been a change of lead developer. Lars Butler is still the CEO as he has been since the beginning of the company.

• SmikisSmikis VilniusMember UncommonPosts: 1,045

its funny how same post complaints that "expert " dungeons are too easy now but complains about expert dungeon gear ( basically harder version of 5 man, take wow for example expert=heroic )

if its so easy why would you spend money to buy gear, and most of player base raids, because getting pugs for entry level raids isnt hard and that gear beats blue expert gear not to mention purple expert gear thats not for sale?

and all open world rift gear ( purchased by currency you get for participating in rifts ) which is superior even to entry level raids let a lone blue expert gear

yes selling gear is just wrong and i feel like they will hurt  themself more by doing it, but rift is same as wow, ding max lvl, do normals for 2 days, do heroics for 2 days, if you are hardcore, do heroics for a day, go raiding , at best they remove one of best portion of the game and lets you skip half week of playing thats is actually fun

i am all against this cash shop and worried about archeage now, but gear they sell is meaningless in rift

• SquishydewSquishydew NetherlandsMember UncommonPosts: 1,107

I can honestly say I'm done with Trion.

First defiance - Horrible support, lack of content, updates consisting of collection quests.

Now Rift, a game that was doing absolutely fine, turned into a F2P piece of crap.

Well done Trion, i remember a few months ago thinking you where a good company, that delivered quality games.

Haha... Well, no longer.

• jdnewelljdnewell Spring Hill, TNMember UncommonPosts: 2,210

From what I can tell the pre raid gear can be bought in whats basically a watered down version of what you obtain from actually doing the dungeon runs.

The high tier items can be bought only after you have the faction rep. / requirements. Which is not easily obtained.

While I may not agree with some of the choices they made to me its not that big of a deal. I personally find the game fun and will continue to play.

I can see where some people would be put off by some of the cash shop items tho. From what I understand this game was pretty much on life support and this may actually keep it up and running, keep updates and expansions coming, ect.

I dont see anything as being P2W, which I define as you must buy it with cash or you cant compete. Everything looks optional to buy and can be gotten in game, and the best gear can only be gotten in game. The hardcore raiders are up in arms it seems, but after reading the posts they are more concerned with e peen size than whats actually good for the game. I suppose they would rather it shut down than have some F2P noob wearing gear that actually is not even close to what they get from raiding.

• perran7691perran7691 Northbridge, MAMember UncommonPosts: 34

Rift's F2p model is not P2W by any means. Want P2W check out Neverwinter Night and then we'll talk about P2W. I find their F2P model incredibly generous, you can do anything in game without EVER spending a dime out of your pocket. Unlike other F2P models like Swtor, Lotro etc.

• sado2020sado2020 elizabethtown, KYMember Posts: 112

I haven't really looked at whats on the REX store but isn't the ingame store still just on test servers?  Can't they remove items if they need too before it goes live?

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

Originally posted by jdnewell
    The hardcore raiders are up in arms it seems, but after reading the posts they are more concerned with e peen size than whats actually good for the game. I suppose they would rather it shut down than have some F2P noob wearing gear that actually is not even close to what they get from raiding.

Good point. 

I suppose loyalty to the hardcore 1% doesn't mean jack to Trion if it comes down to closing up the game and losing their jobs. What's "good for the game" is another topic, which could be endlessly, albeit interestingly, debated. However, your basic point that keeping the game alive is the priority is obviously valid here. 

I will reserve further judgment till I see how the f2p conversion and cash shop actually launch on the 12th. 

• tet666tet666 cfgvbfdgMember UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by sado2020

I haven't really looked at whats on the REX store but isn't the ingame store still just on test servers? Can't they remove items if they need too before it goes live?

They can and they did, some essences and some other stuff (you still needet the required rep to buy them btw) where allrdy removed from the shop because of feedback from the community they are actively asking the community on the pts forum which items they want in the shop and which they dont want.
  • AdokasAdokas KristiansandMember CommonPosts: 217

To me, it seems like this whole concept of cash shops is evolving. Slowly changing what is okay to sell in the shop, and people are fine with it, it seems.

In my eyes, stat gear of any kind, don't belong in cash shops, nor does gambling boxes, or potions that give more currency, reputation, etc.

5-10% high paying users of cash shops, is what I've seen quoted and written a lot on these forums. Cash shop games go down this route, and have to keep that percentage of players happy. This means that development and progression of the actual game slows, and development on the cash shop, to keep that percentage of users happy, rises. To me, cash shops are a scourge upon MMOs.

• snapfusionsnapfusion San, CAMember Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Grunty
    Equivalent bags are readily available from other players in the auction house. This isn't an asian game where the only way to get more bag space is to pay cash for it.

You don't get it, what happens when you have the same type of items competing between the cash shop and the game is that the in game currency price of things will INFLATE, its called inflation.  Making your in gold currency worth less, thus driving up the cost of those player made bags in game.  You will see a huge influx of game currency once it goes F2P and you can start buying things with real money.

You will see, its just basic economics, one currency affects the other, the price of items will change, its inevitable.

Originally posted by Adokas
    This means that development and progression of the actual game slows, and development on the cash shop, to keep that percentage of users happy, rises. To me, cash shops are a scourge upon MMOs.

I agree with you. Especially because of this.