Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare as an MMO

RewhymoRewhymo Member Posts: 53

So just warning in advance this is going to be a long post.

First i want to point out that EVERYTHING in this post is PURELY FANTASY. In no way am i or tornbanners working on this idea. I'm posting this to see if people would ever play a game like this.

Okay so my idea is basically combining a few games features together mainly Chivalry, Planet Side, mount and blade, and war of the roses. The key features i would have from each of these games would be Chivalrys combat system, Planetsides conquer the base over vast amounts of land, War of the roses armor and hit system and mount and blades troop  advancement system.

Chivalrys combat: Its fluid, and fast paced but also requires you to know what your doing. Yes having a shield makes you very hard to hit but people can still get around it or simply kick you to stagger you. if you dont have a shield you have to look at the weapon coming towards you to block. You may block faster but you are highly susceptible to being staggered. Also i love this system because where your blade goes thats where you hit so if your using a short sword you have to get close and personal while a pole axe can keep the enemies a good distance away.

Planetsides large maps and multiple capture points: Not really much to elaborate. Replace the high tech facilities with castles and give them certain buffs like 10% extra melee strength while in zone or something then replace outposts with small villages. Implementing a seige system against the castles would add another level of fun where players will actually need to bring along seige weapons like catapults or trebuchets to launches boulders at the doors or even bring a ram to try and knock the doors down. Ladders or even grappling hooks so troops can climb from behind.

War of the Roses Armor and hit system: this system was very fascinating to me as the heavier the armor got the harder it was to puncture. With a sword i found myself simply glancing off the armor, instead i had to stab to do any damage against heavies or way till their arms were up and i could hit a soft spot. This would add yet another level of difficulty to the combat.

Mount and blades Troop advancement: By this i refer to how when you first recruit troops they are peasents and then become militia men or bow militia, then to archers or man-at-arms or cavalry. But this would be a design saved for the Clans and guilds.

Im going to start from the beginning where you create your character. Yes both male and female would be available. So youve created your character and chosen to play as one of the three factions. But your nothing but a peasant and can only use peasant farm tools as weapons. ( this makes sense to me. ) Now as a peasant you could pick up a sword and shield and breast plate from a dead body but because you were never trained in such equipement you would get a debuff for lack of training.

As a peasant you will spawn at a village or castle close to combat unless you wish to just be thrown into the fray you can simply select the castle being attacked. After you spawn you begin to fight. Yes you will be at a severe disadvantage you have no armor no decent weapons but your just a peasant so your the cannon fodder the normal cannon fodder allow to die first. Shortly after the battle you are invited to join a guild WOOT!. You accept.

Guilds and Clans: Guilds and Clans will be able to either use a preset troop tree or create their own with their own rank names. Mind you it will be heavily regulated so as Guilds cant make their troops only uber. Once your in a clan the armor you may have pick up from a dead guy earlier now no longer has a debuff and has a cloth over top displaying your guilds Custom maid Sigil. Guilds and Clans will essentially be the bannermen of the side you fight for. So that guilds dont have influxes of nothing but archers all new members join as conscripts and once they are promoted the officer or the Noble who owns the guild will choose who goes were to allow the guild to balance its numbers.

Over time you work your way up the ranks unlocking new gear for you to use and decide you want your own clan. So you create one with some friends to help. You are now a Noble and your troops with fly your banner into battle in your honor. As a Noble you would get a plus 10% to all your stats but only once your Guild has reached a Sizable number. 

The next step is abit of friendly contest within the side you fight for. At the end of the month the Guild with the highest Score becomes the Reigning Guild. Meaning the Noble encharge is crowned king and givin a unique set of armor and a crown. all his stats are increased by 50% and all members of his Guild go up by 10%. The person remains king till the end of the month unless his guild maintains the score. A king can only be king 2 months in a row after that the runner up Guild is chosen.

As far as acquiring gear and weapons it would be similar to War Of the Roses where you kill or complete objectives to earn gold. you can visit blacks smiths in castles for gear. Now not all castles will have all the gear and some castle will have gear that has bonuses do to having superior blacksmiths or superior bows and arrows or swords and the like.

So this is my idea and i really appreciate you reading this far in again this is ONLY A FANTASY idea i had for a game id love to see. Send me your thoughts on features you would change or add.

Comments

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

First of all i am a huge fan of that combat system, although i prefer War of the Roses/Mount&Blade to Chivalry. Maybe the kick could be integrated into WofR and a few other things to make it even more interesting.

And i would really like to see such a combat system in some kind of MMO. But it is technically not that simple. You have several hitboxes per character and you need very low latency to have any fun with it.

Darkfall uses a simplified version of this(just 1 hitbox and just 2 attacks, from side and overhead) to overcome the technical problems.. but then it is at least for me a little bit to much simplified, whereas i would like a even more complex system.

Edit/PS: I am also curios what comes out of Clang, which tries to bring Sword Combat to a whole new level. http://subutai.mn/clang.php

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Something like camelot unchained but with mount and blade combat would be awesome.
  • benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Uhm great idea but there is already Gloria Victis in the pipeline that aims for the same thing. Being made by small indie company with no budget yet atm. But who knows. Chivalry was also made by an indie company and look what a beautifull game that has become :)
  • RewhymoRewhymo Member Posts: 53

thanks for the great replies im glad some of you referenced some games that are being made but yes Chivalry is an epic game made by an indie company which i would argue could make a better game then any other AAA company out there should they have the funding.

Im gonna check out those games you guys mentioned as im in love with medieval warfare that makes everyone essentially equal and even though different equipment may give you a high damage out put if that other guy is faster or knows how to block well then he could easily kill you. i love skill based games over level based games. So chivalry over just about every mmo lol.