Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me decide what to play, Aion or Rift

EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
I hear the f2p model is really good in Aion and I hear it will be good in Rift. I really like the way games are doing mostly cosmetic stuff in the shops now. My question is which of this has a funner pvp/pve endgame ( I like both pvp and pve). I have both of these downloaded but trying to figure out which one to dedicate time too. Just cant decide. Ive played both but never gotten to end game on either. Battlegrounds and such are fine with me but I am also interested in old fashioned dungeons and raids. Any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288
    PvP Aion is better.  However in every other aspect RIFT wins out. Its deeper, smoother gameplay (IMO), and offers a metric shitton more content.  Also PvE endgame is arguably the best in all of MMO's.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Play both. Aion is PvP-centric and Rift is PvE-centric. You should be able to satisfy your themepark fun in both of them.

• brinagh75brinagh75 Member Posts: 9

I do play both as well and both are fun.   Only issue with Aion is that it can be more of a grind.   But yes I do prefer their PvP.   Don't forget they have new classes coming next month as well :)    I will continue to play both as both are great games for different reason.

That is what i LOVE about f2p options.   I no longer feel forced to play a game.   I can play one game for a week, play something else for a little bit and then come back.   I don't have to worry about the fact that I am paying for time that I am not using.   It gives you the ability to play as much or as little as you want and spend what you see fit.  

So I say play both!

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

if you like open world pvp then Aion is by far your only choice. after level 20(?) wherever you quest can be accessed by the other faction. this of course includes people way above your level, but if thats what you're into then there's your best bet.

as was stated before Rift is very stable, smooth running, few surprises, but tons of content they have added since launch. i think their housing system is far better than Aion's in that you get an instance of the actual world to place things in and decorate to your own tastes.

don't forget that you can play Rift as a trial to level 20 even before it goes f2p next month.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• brinagh75brinagh75 Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by chelan

if you like open world pvp then Aion is by far your only choice. after level 20(?) wherever you quest can be accessed by the other faction. this of course includes people way above your level, but if thats what you're into then there's your best bet.

as was stated before Rift is very stable, smooth running, few surprises, but tons of content they have added since launch. i think their housing system is far better than Aion's in that you get an instance of the actual world to place things in and decorate to your own tastes.

don't forget that you can play Rift as a trial to level 20 even before it goes f2p next month.

In regards to the after level 20 being accessed by the other faction yes that is true....unless you switch to the fast track server.   They have now introduced a special server you can switch to for those areas and there is no pvp so no worry about the ganking.   It is also higher xp.    So where that used to be a very valid concern and a deterrent for playing, they have introduced options for those that were not playing because of this.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

If you think the f2p model in Rift is going to be good, take a look at this thread: 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5758761#5758761

Seems most people are not happy with it.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I dont see what appeals to so many with Aion...I thought the game was very bland and boring....RIft is colorful but has wayyyy too much of a "we ripped off WoW" feel to it....I'd pass on both and do more research.