Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] EverQuest Next: EQNext's Time to Shine

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that Blizzard has pushed any further information and development of its 'Titan' MMO to the distant future, it's time for EverQuest Next to take the spotlight. Check out our thoughts on the subject before heading to the comments to discuss.

By all accounts, we here at MMORPG.com were ready for SOE and Blizzard to go head-to-head again with Project Titan and EQ Next.  Now, with Blizzard going back to the drawing board on their next big MMORPG, the time is absolutely right for EverQuest to step back into the limelight.  What’s more is that this time around, SOE isn’t content on making this new version of Norrath another theme-park raiding extravaganza.  In yet another sign that the days of simple quest hubs and gear grinds are coming to a close (or at least a tipping point), SOE’s John Smedley has gone on record stating that whatever EverQuest Next is it will be the be the biggest sandbox of all time

Read more of Bill Murphy's EQNext's Time to Shine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• simasr1995simasr1995 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    mew mew Ruff ruff arggg Moo! YEAH!
  • buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457
    This is one I'm watching as they may actually be adding reasons to keep playing a character! Full immersion is something most MMO's have lacked sense the original SWG.
  • Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

I've been playing Vanguard until I hear more news about EQ Next. After being an Everquest addict for years and then SWG, EQ2 and then Vanguard, all I can say is EQ Next should be amazing. If there was one company that was capable of creating a AAA Sandbox, it would be SOE. Can't wait.

What's kind of fun is checking out some of the 'experimental' things SOE has been doing with their titles as they see how much their fans will like the ideas for when they are used in EQNext. Basically each of their titles can be used as a testing ground for new ideas.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Well i'm an EQ vet and always will be, any EQ game get's me excited. If you think EQN is looking a blizzard i think you are mistaken. You really think Smed is sitting there saying "i want my crown back" lol, pretty silly thinking IMO.

As for the game, well you can bet it will still have major PVE and questing at it's core. Smed knows what people want especially the SOE fanbase.

They want another mmo that is a modern day version of SWG, EQ and some features from Vanguard like an updated diplomacy system obviously it will be in an EQ skin. Yes it will have a robust PVP system but if anyone is looking at EQN to be there PVP savoir i think they are going to be disappointed.

Smed doesn't care about Titan and Titan is not the only MMO coming out in the nest 5 years.

Some of these write ups have me wondering if i should apply for a job.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Wouldnt it be funny if titan launched 1-3 months after eqnext launches ? Despite all the hoopla about a titan 2016 date.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Blizzard will probably just copy what SOE do with everquest next.
  • crisisintimecrisisintime Member Posts: 4
    im watching this close, I played EQ since its launch in 1999 and i can say since leaving EQ i haven't found a game that can scratch the mmo itch i get
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

Safe enough bet this will happen more than happy to put all my money on it :P

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Until proven otherwise, games like EQNext is why I think Blizzard rebooted Titan. All Blizzard does is take proven, marketable concepts and make their version of it. Titan was likely based on a mmo model proven to be outdated or unsuccessful in today's market and is now rebooting to copy the latest trend.

If the sandbox direction pays out for other developers then expect Blizzards clone of the genre to be polished and ready to go once all the ground work is already completed by other companies.

You stay sassy!

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

Safe enough bet this will happen more than happy to put all my money on it :P

Funny thing I got laughed at for saying the same thing over a month ago.  I expected Titan to go more Sandbox with some themepark like EQNEXT when EQNEXT said what they are going to do.  The Only difference between SOE and Blizzard is Blizzards does most of their games better than other publishers.  

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

"Guys, I've got the best idea ever! Lets trash everything we've done with Titan, wait for Everquest Next and then copy/paste a lot from the game, like we did with the first Everquest and World of Warcraft!"

Not true, but would be fun though, if it was! ;)

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Wasn't Titan supposed to be a sci fi game? I guess if they are going back to the drawing boards it could always morph into a fantasy *shrugs*

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• FirnwindFirnwind Member UncommonPosts: 25
    If Blizzard would wait for EQNext to copy it ... the result would probably be much better ...*g*
  • rusmurfrusmurf Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Will it feature a bunch of instanced crap?
  • adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    I really hope I don't see any motorcycles or cars in this game....

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    What if Blizzard is pulling back to see what EQNext does?
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I dunno Bill.  On one hand SoE appears to be trying to do things right.  On the other, after my horrible beta experience with Dragon's Prophet, I still see the same old SoE casual disregard for their customers when it comes to squeezing a few extra dollars out of their wallets.  For example look at the recent $50 1 day pony fiasco that the EQ2 team put out or the fact that right before the Dragon's Prophet open beta they dropped the pre-order pack prices by 25% to get more sales thereby basically pooing all over their early supporters.

I'm watching EQ:N but through a very skeptical lens.  SoE has done some monumentally stupid things and I don't think they've entirely learned their lesson.  Proceed with caution.

I bought a TV at Wal-Mart the first day they carried it. Then two months later those bastards had a sale and sold it 25% cheaper!

How dare they crap all over us "early adopters" by offering sales!

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Bill, when will we see an EQNext forum go up? Or is there one already and I'm just blind (it's happened before)!!
  • Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

I dunno Bill.  On one hand SoE appears to be trying to do things right.  On the other, after my horrible beta experience with Dragon's Prophet, I still see the same old SoE casual disregard for their customers when it comes to squeezing a few extra dollars out of their wallets.  For example look at the recent $50 1 day pony fiasco that the EQ2 team put out or the fact that right before the Dragon's Prophet open beta they dropped the pre-order pack prices by 25% to get more sales thereby basically pooing all over their early supporters.

I'm watching EQ:N but through a very skeptical lens.  SoE has done some monumentally stupid things and I don't think they've entirely learned their lesson.  Proceed with caution.

I bought a TV at Wal-Mart the first day they carried it. Then two months later those bastards had a sale and sold it 25% cheaper!

It's great when someone puts things into a logical perspective. Kudos.

These problems a lot of gamers are having with MMO's are happening around them all the time, they just do not realize it.

Tip: Go to Wal-Mart on Monday, take a look at their prices. Then compare those prices with the ones on Friday, notice a change? Chances are many of the same items are either marked differently, up or down, depending on sales or just price gouging.

How about this as an experiment. Check out one store for an item that usually sells really well for one day a week for a month. The price will fluctuate rapidly, especially when they are preparing to have a sale. Notice the price raised by 10% so they can put in on sale for 15% off the next day? Yep.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Dying for more info on this game.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

After all the terrible dissapointments lately (Defiance, Neverwinter, etc) I just decided to go back  to EverQuest 2, find my guild to be still very active and really enjoying the game again! Having a blast!

Such a great game and still is after all those years.

Really looking forward to EQNext. That's for sure!

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

What you are referring to is the finished product gradually going down in price after a period of time.

If you pre-order a television online, and then the pre-order price goes down on the same web page by 25% before the product is even released, you should be entitled to getting that price since you haven't even received the finished product yet. 

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Sandbox is not a magic word that automatically makes a game great and/or popular.Also who knows what Smedley thinks Sandbox equates to.

EQNext seems to have at this time an open window to shine I agree but let's wait to see if it deserves to.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    /unf unf unf

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531

Well Sony just got carte blanche. They better capitalize on it instead of being stupid suits like they have been since EQ1. If they say it's a sandbox it better be a friggin sandbox. Being able to make your own emotes doesn't make a sandbox. Being able to make your own quests for others to consume doesn't make it a sandbox.

I really want EQN to be the next generation of MMOs, but since Sony is driving it I don't have high or even medium hopes TBH.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel