Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal story ...

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

In my opinion the weakest point of the game is the personal story.

-It has the story depth of childrens bedtime stories..

-The evil does not get personalized in the stories, the bad boys have no character depth at all.

-There is no memorable bosses to fight in the combat  instances that belong to the story

- For me the Artistic backgrounds dont add anything, it takes away from the immersion, on top of that your character and the NPCs just stand their like pillars while their mouth moves a little to give the idea of actually speaking..

-In most conversations there are no emotions

-Voice acting is below average

-There is not enough diversity (5 low level stories till 30, 3 high level stories 30 -80) which kills a lot of the repliabillity.

-There are not enough stories to make it a major part of the game

While i really really love the idea of these stories, and even see a bright future for them, the execution of this part of the game barely passes the average mark, which is not something you expect from a company like Arenanet that allways states "nothing but the best"  On top of that, its the only main part of the game that stops at max level, and the promised monthly story components never got delivered.

So whats your opinion about the story components, and do you want them to continue ?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    So ...  one more question

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Haven't we had this discussion before? And wasn't it you that started this same discussion last time?

This is not a game.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

1,2, and 3...yea this is getting a bit interesting. Awaiting the forth which should be about not enough PVP stuff to do.

Stories should obviously continue, they are okay IMO, I like the gameplay aspect especially compared to many MMO's who have stories, GW2 Personal story gameplay has different types of stuff to do which keeps me interested. As for the story itself aside from gameplay course there are better, TSW told their story much better. 

I just know GW2 didn't rely on the personal story, since it's an MMORPG, and for what they done, Personal Story is good, not great, but good.

We using expectations for Single player games like Heavy Rain or something? Jusst curious so I know whether my allergies are in full effect or not.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

the story is not that bad considering other games mmorpg stories so far, but it's nowhere near SWTOR and its story for example.

Story telling is badly executed, I don't like the 2 characters standing opposing eachother and blabbing with some hand gestures.

But actual story is okay and it gives you a bit of interaction on what you want to do next in some parts of it.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Here are the issues I have with personal story:

1. When you finish it, well - it's finished. I honestly can't remember much about mine except that I didn't enjoy it much after Traherne joined the picture. This was months ago and unless there is an expansion, I feel like I beat the game already. Sure, I could get better gear but why? Nobody is running a damage meter and I'm already a fricken killing machine. (Warriors FTW).

2. As you level up, the next steps are way too spread out. At higher levels, the next steps are sometimes 5 levels above you and you have to grind your way up to do the next one - even though the danger is imminent and the story says they need you right away. "Yeah, I know that there is a giant dragon attacking, but uh, I need to go help some Hylek defend their food supply first and clear weeds out of a farmer's field."

3. The culmination of a solo story ending in a forced dungeon ... terrible design choice. Don't get me wrong, I had no trouble getting people to run story mode with me. I was able to complete the dungeon right away. Even worse, the story elements that begin to show up in the final dungeon only make sense for a player that completed all of the other dungeons (which many players do not). Personal story should be 'personal'. It's solo content, so they should have left it solo.

I love GW2 and still play it, but as far as I'm concerned, Personal Story is one of the weakest elements of the game.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

The face to face conversations are so fucking bad and boring i'd rather cut my eyeballs and pierce my eardrums. Yes it's that bad, it was interesting the first time because it was new but GW1 cinematics is 100x better and the in-game cinematics they use for Rox and Brahams stories + the dungeon. 

The personal story missions are okay, some of them are good but most are just "ah let's kill some of these and move on to the next mission". If they made the personal story more like GW1 missions it would have been a success but instead they chose something that no one want to watch or hear, just a bunch of crap.

In-game cinematics is THE best way for personal story and for players to get sucked right into the situation, just by looking at what happens and someone in the background shouting/speaking out something and then the in-game cinematic ends and you know what is happening and what to do.

ArenaNet either got "lazy" "not enough time" "not enough cash" for in-game cinematics. I don't know, but they failed with the personal story hard, except with Rox and Braham story missions.

On my alts i just skip all face to face crap and head right into the action, i kinda know what happens anyway but an in-game cinematic and an NPC which speak to you in short would have helped alot more.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

The face to face conversations are so fucking bad and boring i'd rather cut my eyeballs and pierce my eardrums. Yes it's that bad, it was interesting the first time because it was new but GW1 cinematics is 100x better and the in-game cinematics they use for Rox and Brahams stories + the dungeon. 

The personal story missions are okay, some of them are good but most are just "ah let's kill some of these and move on to the next mission". If they made the personal story more like GW1 missions it would have been a success but instead they chose something that no one want to watch or hear, just a bunch of crap.

In-game cinematics is THE best way for personal story and for players to get sucked right into the situation, just by looking at what happens and someone in the background shouting/speaking out something and then the in-game cinematic ends and you know what is happening and what to do.

ArenaNet either got "lazy" "not enough time" "not enough cash" for in-game cinematics. I don't know, but they failed with the personal story hard, except with Rox and Braham story missions.

On my alts i just skip all face to face crap and head right into the action, i kinda know what happens anyway but an in-game cinematic and an NPC which speak to you in short would have helped alot more.

It's cause their main focus wasn't entirely on the single player aspect, example being SWTOR, their story telling was great, same with TSW to an extent.

In an MMORPG you don't want to put your entire focus on [one] thing else you will have one great storytelling mmorpg with bad-to average everything else.

At the end of the day it boils down to common sense and just stepping back to pay attention to all details. Like to say "Okay this isn't great nor good but I see why they didn't put [too] much into this else we'd prolly have an important game play feature  much  less like it is."

So in light blue is the most common sense.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I'll just have to repost what I said in this thread. (I feel like I can respond to every single thread on these forums with a personal repost from a previous thread these days...)

On one hand, the personal story in GW2 provided a better narrative for my character than any other MMO I've played before.  (I haven't played SWTOR, and I suspect that game may be better in this regard, as it's kind of Bioware's specialty.)  But ultimately, it was nowhere near as good as any number of single player RPGs -- and that's exactly what the majority of the personal story was, a single player RPG component to an MMO.  I thought some moments were certainly better than others.  A lot of the early stuff was intriguing enough, even if the writers passed on every opportunity for a plot twist.  Some of the Order missions were good, but mostly because they featured the only memorable characters in the entire story.  But everything from 50-80 was utterly forgetable, in my opinion.  I too, never finished my personal story on any of my characters.  I think I'm stalled out at level 78 or something on my main character, and I have zero motivation to complete it.  I've done Arah story and all the explorables.  I know where the story goes.  There are no twists.  There's nothing intrinsic to the writing that makes it a joy to experience in itself.  

It is what it is: an above average bonus single player story experience to an MMO.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

stories are average at best!

Please STOP the pain of continuing the storylines!

I don't even do the personal stories anymore. I just play in the world.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    The strength and flaw of personal story is this. It's not supposed to stick around so you can never get much depth from it. It was a good idea to have rotating content. But the unwanted side effect of that is you don't get to know anyone story wise. If they address that failure in the system it will work.
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    The story is light and is overall ok. What I can't stand most of the time is the voice acting. Some actors sound like they're reading a book. A lot of dialog are inappropriately delivered.
  • HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I could care less about personal story. If I want a good story I'll read a book or at the very least, play a single player RPG. I don't need to feel like the hero in MMO's. I've yet to see MMO's make an even passive attempt at truly making you feel like youre the king of the world. I'd much rather feel like I'm part of a community that affects the world. This is the reason I play MMO's. I really wish they would keep personal stories and class stories and blah blah blah out of the MMO genre. That's just my personal take on it. I know other people that are happy with personal stories and all the power to them. I just don't personally care for it.