Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hmmm caught in the act ?

Comments

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

Juts confirms what I've said way before launch; GW2 was the most overhyped (especially to media, like gaming outlets) games of all times; and boy did people buy in to it, hook, line and sinker.

Dunno what the deal is with the Dev denying he knew the company, I didn't read that far into it.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by Fluxii

Juts confirms what I've said way before launch; GW2 was the most overhyped (especially to media, like gaming outlets) games of all times; and boy did people buy in to it, hook, line and sinker.

Dunno what the deal is with the Dev denying he knew the company, I didn't read that far into it.

He played it off like it was how the "press felt about the game".  Sneaky guy.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Fluxii

It was overhyped, definitely, but what game isn't nowadays.  Besides, it delivered an most of its promises, and people are enjoying it.  Overhyped or not, it is still an excellent game.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

it's not delivered on it's open world promises in the slightest don't make me laugh!

Someone opened a thread in the main forums today asking about what all was removed from the game. Guess what, everything was except the new guild events. 

So basically according to this company that works for Anet btw, they added an expansions worth of content to the game since launch 90% of which is removed because it's all temporary. 

See the issue there? please stop spreading the falsehood that the game was what they promised, Anet hires people to do that already.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    You can always tell how good an mmo is by how hard it's trolls try to bring it down.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Over hyped just like wildstar is now being over hyped. The only game that is not being over hyped is The Elder Scrolls Online
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    You can always tell how good an mmo is by how hard it's trolls try to bring it down.

Very true, i don't see anyone hating on Tera any more do you. 9 months after release and gw2 still has trolls = success.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

Very true, i don't see anyone hating on Tera any more do you. 9 months after release and gw2 still has trolls = success.

Indeed, people generally want to bring those that are on top down. Rooting for the underdog has always been ingrained in our psyche. David and Goliath, huge portion of Greek Mythology revolves around someone standing up to the Gods, so on and so on.

I have my own issues with GW2, but it's still a good game. And trolls are gonna hate on it for a long time coming.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I just find it funny how TC went from 100% fanboy mode to 100% RAGE mode. It really shows how there's no middle ground for some people.
  • PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

I never really look at things as being "hyped", or "over hyped."

Players like to get excited. I don't really see a problem with that.

As far as devs are concerned, would anyone expect a developer to come out and say, "Yeah, you can check out our game if you want. It's nothing special. Middle of the road."

The creator of the content is always going to exaggerate to some degree. Sometimes out of sheer intent to drive up sales. Other times out of their own excitement of what they hope to achieve. How long did I have to look at Scarlet Blade's "The most anticipated MMO of the year!" at the top of the page? 

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Haters gonna hate - Theres 2 types of gamer , one plays games and the others hate on any an every game always looking forward to the next big release to hate some more
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853

So, what you're trying to say is that WoW is the best MMO ever?
  • OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    I just find it funny how TC went from 100% fanboy mode to 100% RAGE mode. It really shows how there's no middle ground for some people.

Agree with this. Large amount of people see the world in black and white. Your either the best thing ever or your worst than mass genocide. Why can't we just say GW2 is meh. Its an ok game, has solid gameplay, and is fun to hit up sometimes, but myself like some others are using it as a vacation home we visit every month or so until we find our new home. 

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I'm going to stop playing right away because of these news...

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    The only game that is not being over hyped is The Elder Scrolls Online

There's a very good reason for that.  I'll let you figure out why.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Dkompoze
    Haters gonna hate - Theres 2 types of gamer , one plays games and the others hate on any an every game always looking forward to the next big release to hate some more

You forgot Fanboi in there, basically just add them in with a / next to hater since they are virtually the same thing. For this game, I feel its the fanbois often creating more haters then anything on this game, I know its a big 'grr' thing for me. Makes it hard to defend the game when it should be defended.

Anyways, the comment is a bit silly, but nothing new. Developers always try to hype things up, and honestly an expansion really isn't a certain measurement. If you compare it to say Rift, then of course the expansion comment will look like quite a joke.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Anyways, the comment is a bit silly, but nothing new. Developers always try to hype things up, and honestly an expansion really isn't a certain measurement. If you compare it to say Rift, then of course the expansion comment will look like quite a joke.

There's also a fine line between what the devs want to implement and what they can actually implement. After reading the official forums, it looks like some of them get a bit carried away sometimes and start talking about the updates that are probably all ready to go in their heads... forgetting QA hasn't even seen them and half of the assets is only kinda sorta ready.

It's not really professional, but I can't say I care. I care about what they actually put in the game and that content has been ok-ish on average. The most important thing is that it's getting much better. The difference between Flame and Frost and the crappy first karka event is really noticeable.

Of course, on mmorpg.com all the stupid things dev say turn into ANET LIED THE GAME IS FINISHED.

Over hyped just like wildstar is now being over hyped. The only game that is not being over hyped is The Elder Scrolls Online

I'm worried for those folks following this game. A friend of mine is posting to his FB page about how awesomesauce Wildstar looks, and I had to remind him that NCsoft also made GW2 because like me he was severely disappointed with it. I hope it's true what people say that it's really the developer and not the publisher, but I'm sorry been burned too many times now, it gets old.

Oh and I'm purposefully ignoring the typical dismissal trolls on here, trying to dismiss the facts about the problems that companies like this create by promising one thing and delivering entirely something else after the fact isn't going to change anything and neither is namecalling. It's okay tho keep sleeping.

Originally posted by itgrowls

it's not delivered on it's open world promises in the slightest don't make me laugh!

Someone opened a thread in the main forums today asking about what all was removed from the game. Guess what, everything was except the new guild events. 

So basically according to this company that works for Anet btw, they added an expansions worth of content to the game since launch 90% of which is removed because it's all temporary. 

See the issue there? please stop spreading the falsehood that the game was what they promised, Anet hires people to do that already.

They promised a "living world" (hence the name of their updates), and guess what, what's more "living" than having a dungeon where you fight off the leaders of invaders that closes after the leaders have been defeated, and the invasion plans foiled?  It certainly beats being able to go into Wow and kill Illidan thousands of times, despite the story having stated he died a long time ago.

But don't worry, there are rumors of ANet adding in the Molten Alliance dungeon to the fractals.

Originally posted by MadDemon64

They promised a "living world" (hence the name of their updates), and guess what, what's more "living" than having a dungeon where you fight off the leaders of invaders that closes after the leaders have been defeated, and the invasion plans foiled?  It certainly beats being able to go into Wow and kill Illidan thousands of times, despite the story having stated he died a long time ago.

But don't worry, there are rumors of ANet adding in the Molten Alliance dungeon to the fractals.

Riiiight like GW2 doesn't have people going into CoF1 all day long? LOL good one, they're not different since they when full on dungeon focus in novermber man. Who are you kidding?! yourself obviously. seriously, until they put permanent DE's and permanent metas on a monthly basis and stop this temporary dungeon nonsense that's when they'll have successfully fulfilled their prelaunch promises until then everything is just fluff.

Suppose you'll tell me that all the holiday stuff is their content additions to the "living world" mess too? that somehow an expansions worth of vaproware is what they told us it would be. wow, smh.

Originally posted by MadDemon64

Riiiight like GW2 doesn't have people going into CoF1 all day long? LOL good one, they're not different since they when full on dungeon focus in novermber man. Who are you kidding?! yourself obviously. seriously, until they put permanent DE's and permanent metas on a monthly basis and stop this temporary dungeon nonsense that's when they'll have successfully fulfilled their prelaunch promises until then everything is just fluff.

Suppose you'll tell me that all the holiday stuff is their content additions to the "living world" mess too? that somehow an expansions worth of vaproware is what they told us it would be. wow, smh.

" seriously, until they put permanent DE's and permanent metas on a monthly basis and stop this temporary dungeon nonsense that's when they'll have successfully fulfilled their prelaunch promises until then everything is just fluff."

Lets see now, there's southsun, the fractals...need I go on?

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Killsmallchi
    Originally posted by Scalpless

Agree with this. Large amount of people see the world in black and white. Your either the best thing ever or your worst than mass genocide. Why can't we just say GW2 is meh. Its an ok game, has solid gameplay, and is fun to hit up sometimes, but myself like some others are using it as a vacation home we visit every month or so until we find our new home. 

QFT. I remember the OP's unreasonable expectations leading up to launch and now I find it absolutely hysterical that he takes every chance he can to complain about the game now. I have personally called him on it on more than one thread so I would say take his rants with a grain of salt. Honestly I didn't find anything wrong with how Collin handled the situation. TBH, no matter what is said it is going to rub people the wrong way whether your on one side of the fence or the other. There really is no pleasing people when a game doesn't turn out like their vision of what it should be. OP... it really is past time for you to just move on man..... it's getting sad now.....

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

So, what you're trying to say is that WoW is the best MMO ever?

This is correct. WoW is the most hated yet the best MMO ever.

@OP, I am very sceptical when it comes to promises coming from Anet now. They have the tendency to overhype stuff like crazy. I am only interested in specifics and the details and boring plain description of their features. I want to know what X does and how it does it. That's it. I don't care about their "vision" and all their hype talk. This is what I like about Blizzard. They never tend to overhype their products. Maybe that's why their games are so good. They spend more time developing and less time talking and hyping their games.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Haha well yes Wildstar is getting a good amount of hype.  But I would say its nothing compared to the amount of hype GW2 got.  The gw2 cheerleaders on this site were saying it was going to change the mmorpg genre forever, just like WoW had and just like UO and EQ before it.

It was kind of funny how ridiculous it started getting.  I remember one thread that was comparing GW2's PvE to WoW's PvE, saying that GW2's PvE was superior.  It was so subjective and cherry picked, but it had a lot of GW2 cheerleaders pumped.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Haha well yes Wildstar is getting a good amount of hype.  But I would say its nothing compared to the amount of hype GW2 got.  The gw2 cheerleaders on this site were saying it was going to change the mmorpg genre forever, just like WoW had and just like UO and EQ before it.

It was kind of funny how ridiculous it started getting.  I remember one thread that was comparing GW2's PvE to WoW's PvE, saying that GW2's PvE was superior.  It was so subjective and cherry picked, but it had a lot of GW2 cheerleaders pumped.

Meanwhile good innovative games fly under the radar :3 and it is best this way because those games get time to mature and build inertia with their design principals and the community matures as well, EVE-Online is a good example of this (in 05-06 when I first started playing it it was very much an unknown game to most).