Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic ... in the shitter

Comments

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by cgplayer
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by simplius

and it doesnt help them , that STO have actually delivered on some of their promises

their expansion is quite enjoyable,,and really FREE

swtor is in the shitter...yes....and, sadly, it isnt even SITTING on the shitter

when the stench becomes unbearable, one of the suits will flush it out

Gotta say I noticed this too. Lots of immigrants from SWTOR were in Zone chat last night in ESD talking about this very thing. 

I was quite impressed with the Romulan expansion.

SWTOR didn't attract me back due to the very nature of their Freemium model. There was no incentive for a player like me.

So let me get this straight...you guys bash Swtor because it has not lived up to your supreme expectation and has not delivered on promises you  THOUGHT would be in the game?  But yet STO is awesome now because after THREE YEARS they finally released  the Romulan faction? 

What's really hilarious is them thinking that STO is even on any AAA MMO's radar. I doubt EA or anyone else cares about what STO is doing. It's small potatoes.Plus the romulans aren't really their own faction, They have to align with the Federation or the Klingons. So fans that have been asking for a true romulan faction are still waiting.

And to the "has no incentive for player like me"  well I don't think any game wants player like you.  Feeling entitled to get everything for FREE is crap, its crap in real life its crap in Video Games.  Games companies are out to make money get over it, just like get over the fact that SWTOR is going to be around for a long time .

Also ironic when you consider that STO is trying to grab money from you every which way you turn. Want the best stuff for the new expansion? Pay us. Want to open up all those lockboxes you've been looting? Pay us. Want to fly something different? Pay us. Want to look like Kirk? Pay us.

Not that I have any problem with that. But don't turn around and claim STO is better because it's free. It isn't.

best stuff,,for free?,,that makes sense  i guess, actionbars is swtors "best stuff"

STO at least gives me the box,,i can sell it on AH,,does swtor do the same?

and most normal ships are not CC,,only the "special " ones are

the kirk uniform,,yes, its a fluff item, i paid the Money, so i can look like the legend

but i could still play the game without that uniform

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by noncley
    Originally posted by jpnz

It certainly is in the 'shitter' and is losing players left and right! OMG!

Hang on.... didn't EA say that SWTOR's F2P went great and that they were making money etc etc? LOLWUT?

What EA says happened and what actually happened are always - ALWAYS! - the opposite.

not true

when they are surrounded by a screaming mob, with the evidence in their hands, they CAN be truthful

but you still have to push them hard

remember the "..its not our game client, its your computers fault"?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    It is so simple. Try to log on almost any server and you will find at least 3 instance full on space station. Now you can try the same with , for example gw2, rift exct.. and you will find empty city

This is laughable.  I play GW2 & Rift, and there is always people everywhere i go.  There is also people in Swtor too.   You are trying to measure a game's population by one "zone", which is ridiculous.  Populations in all MMOs are spread throughout the entire game.  They are never contained in one single area.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Thebigbopper

The game is far from dead. It is expanding now in regards to players. I can tell because I now sometimes see 5 versions of fleet on the server I play rather than 4. The server always feels alive with players so you are far from correct.

The game is not dead, but it doesn't have the population it did since launch.

And that is the true point missing in this discussion.

The truth is, Swtor had to merge hundreds of servers down to 8(?), and that's what really matters.  The budget that this MMO had, tanked so hard, that it's finally starting to steady, which says a lot about it's staying power.

You say the server feels alive, but in which zones?  which areas?  are dungeon queues fast?  warzones queues?  easy to get Heroic Quests done?

My point is, that a game's health isn't measured by how many people are at the main hub (fleets), but how active the other features are, and if it's accessible easily, or fast, with other players.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by funcon
    I haven't played this dump of a game in 9 months. Is it any better now?

I haven't noticed a great difference tbh.

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    I would like soe to make swg2 its the only developer that has starwars mmo experience and by the end they did get their shit sorted out.. only a fool would hold onto pre.cu its just too lazy too slow and boreing.. I can see why cerrain fans love it.. Can level up afk on macros in on spot for days without lifting a finger.... In my oppinion soe gave swg life. Now look whats happened.. You extremist vets bitch that much we no longer have a starwars mmo... Swtor is pure shit. Worst attempt at a starwars game in a long time.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Thebigbopper
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by keithian

That is not true, if there is a decent thread about SWTOR I rarely post against SWTOR. eg I have not posted in the Road Map thread. What do you expect in this thread? I almost did a thread myself last week to say about all the negativity with 2.1 but Karteli beat me to it! If it was not for this thread these SWTOR forums would have been dead, as they were for a few days before it was posted.

This is so TRUE!!! Look at yours, Karteli,  Simp and a few others history.  You guys post the same stuff on every single SWTOR post.  Copy/paste all day long,regurgitate each  others sentences.  When there are no active posts in the forum for SWTOR you guys search under the game list for SWTOR and post on something that has had no activity for days just to continue your weird awkward obsession with a VIDEO GAME!!. 

/signed lol

/signed as well

It got to the point that nobody is taking you seriously guys. You lost all creditability. Every post is a repeat of something you already posted long long time ago. Same old s......

Honestly just stop it.

Glad to see you all agree that the game is dead. That is basically what I was saying!

Karteli only beat me because I was admiring how dead the forums are because the game is dead, and I did not want to go resurrecting them. The only threads that get posted here are doom and gloom threads, which attract me, because the game is dead.

If the game is not dead, then honestly just start it (with non doom and gloom threads which do not attract me)

The game is far from dead. It is expanding now in regards to players. I can tell because I now sometimes see 5 versions of fleet on the server I play rather than 4. The server always feels alive with players so you are far from correct.

As others said above it is dead when compared to the population at launch and the instancing can make it dead as I have been on instances where I am the only one, plus it is like dead in the water - it is not really advancing and moving forward much, with very little updates that impress. It would be nice to see some features added instead of just more flashpoints, operations, warzones etc. The thing to look forward to other than more flashpoints etc is double xp weekend (which actually attracts me but doubt it does anything to those with maxed chars), plus another repeat of the Gree event, although they say there will be another event so that is something but not enough, and PVP players have nothing to do until at least August

It would be good if they could either 1) add in a random mission generator like what City of Heroes had or STO has where you scan anomalies, or 2) they add in a player generated content system (like COH Architect system  or STOs foundry system) - then they need not do anything and players would bring in endless loads of content and keep game alive forever. Or Both.

I mean even Rift was practically dead since the release of the impressive expansion, with little new content, and kept it from being in the list of best MMOs of 2013 on this site. However I have more faith that Trion will do more for it after it is gone F2P than BW does for SWTOR though, mainly because SWTOR cost them loads, and they are reluctant to throw more money at SWTOR - shame really. So after Rift goes F2P that will rise from the dead and become more alive, and no doubt will steal players from SWTOR too

• KaiyeKaiye Member UncommonPosts: 31

Honestly, I have no idea why it is that I read these forums everyday and feel obligated to reply to threads such as this.  I have played several of these games listed on this website, as many of you have.  Just as many as I've subscribed to or played, I've un-subscribed or eventually quit playing all together.  The reasons vary and run the gamut of why the company was to lose my business - where I found faults, I'm sure others enjoyed.  Typically, if I cared enough about the game, I would voice my opinion on the official forums in a constructive post and then leave my honest feedback in the cancelation form.  Furthermore, I would keep up with the progress of the game and if the changes were made that I was seeking, I would re-subscribe and try it out again. 

That being noted, I've never wished a game would do poorly simply out of spite due to failed expectations.  As noted earlier, where I see failure - I'm sure someone else sees a fantastic success.  Regardless, in response to the OP, I have recently re-subscribed to SWTOR and have been enjoying myself with the time I've invested recently.  I have no idea if the game will keep my business after the release of Elder Scrolls or Archeage or whatever game is to come - yet I will not wish it poorly.  The MMORPG category is an expensive market to develop for and the more failures that are seen down the road of progression, the least likely a company is to venture into that territory - further limiting the creativity and innovation of such a great genre.

In the event that I switch to a different game later on, I know that there is still a fan base that enjoys the hell out of this game and I would hate to have them lose a game which they really enjoy.  Maybe that should be considered when you post topics such as this.  My two cents anyway.

Originally posted by Kaiye

In the event that I switch to a different game later on, I know that there is still a fan base that enjoys the hell out of this game and I would hate to have them lose a game which they really enjoy.  Maybe that should be considered when you post topics such as this.  My two cents anyway.

With the launch of 2.1 many subbed players posted such threads and posts as the OP did on the official forums too, and Bioware acknowledged positively:

"With that being said we have definitely heard your frustrations around Game Updates and the value you feel as a subscriber. I don't have details today but we are continuing to look at options moving forward to make sure that you don't feel that way."

Threads like this may have just saved SWTOR - something to be considered too

Nothing gets said, and games heads in same direction - into the ground

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Honestly, I have no idea why it is that I read these forums everyday and feel obligated to reply to threads such as this.  I have played several of these games listed on this website, as many of you have.  Just as many as I've subscribed to or played, I've un-subscribed or eventually quit playing all together.  The reasons vary and run the gamut of why the company was to lose my business - where I found faults, I'm sure others enjoyed.  Typically, if I cared enough about the game, I would voice my opinion on the official forums in a constructive post and then leave my honest feedback in the cancelation form.  Furthermore, I would keep up with the progress of the game and if the changes were made that I was seeking, I would re-subscribe and try it out again. 

That being noted, I've never wished a game would do poorly simply out of spite due to failed expectations.  As noted earlier, where I see failure - I'm sure someone else sees a fantastic success.  Regardless, in response to the OP, I have recently re-subscribed to SWTOR and have been enjoying myself with the time I've invested recently.  I have no idea if the game will keep my business after the release of Elder Scrolls or Archeage or whatever game is to come - yet I will not wish it poorly.  The MMORPG category is an expensive market to develop for and the more failures that are seen down the road of progression, the least likely a company is to venture into that territory - further limiting the creativity and innovation of such a great genre.

Agreed. People like Kartelli and others can't seem to get that we all have varying likes and dislikes (character creation, crafting, gameplay, combat, UI, graphics..etc etc) . People like Karteli and others attempt to put themselves in some oddball "elitest" category thinking they know more than we do and can't understand why we don't like the same things they do. Every game made has its fans and detractors. SWTOR isn't a perfect game by any stretch but to me its fun and that's all that matters.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• cgplayercgplayer Member Posts: 20

With the launch of 2.1 many subbed players posted such threads and posts as the OP did on the official forums too, and Bioware acknowledged positively:

"With that being said we have definitely heard your frustrations around Game Updates and the value you feel as a subscriber. I don't have details today but we are continuing to look at options moving forward to make sure that you don't feel that way."

Threads like this may have just saved SWTOR - something to be considered too

Nothing gets said, and games heads in same direction - into the ground

Into the ground? Yes 500,000 player is just nose diving into the ground. Every single planet has at least 3 instances, yes thats also is a nose dive into the ground. Last night there were at least 10 different groups looking to fill one or two spots in raids, again another nose dive into the ground. [mod edit]
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Olgark

Its all in line with EA's new market strategy to be honest. They think microtransactions are the way of the future and they are going to be putting it into all new releases.

Battlefield 4 you will be buying armour, weapons and other military hardware through a in game store with real money. You think this is a jest or a joke, wait till it happens. I read the EA statement on this earlier this year.

You must have missed the backtracking statement though. They then said they meant mobile games will have MT in all of them. Mind you that CEO then left a bit later , but I'm sure they won't put MT in all their games after the bad press they got over the statement.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/03/07/ea-just-kidding-about-microtransactions-in-all-games/

Also it seems , that EA getting the SW making games license has really rattled a few of the people on this forum , good job EA :) . They don't even think a summer roadmap is a good idea or even contain anything worth while , sheesh.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I dont even like themeparks but for some reason I like this game.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by observer
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    It is so simple. Try to log on almost any server and you will find at least 3 instance full on space station. Now you can try the same with , for example gw2, rift exct.. and you will find empty city

This is laughable.  I play GW2 & Rift, and there is always people everywhere i go.  There is also people in Swtor too.   You are trying to measure a game's population by one "zone", which is ridiculous.  Populations in all MMOs are spread throughout the entire game.  They are never contained in one single area.

To give you idea how population looks on The Ebon Hawk on Empire server: Level 1-10 planets from 100-200 players, Dromund Kaas 2 to 3 instances around 300-500 players, Fleet - 2 to 3 instances ~ 350 to 600 players, higher planets have usually 2 instances ~ 70-140 players each. Makeb right now runs 3 to 4 instances - 200-300 players, When I am on my ship, there are from 40 to 60 people just on my class ship, Not sure about OPs and FPs, but people actively looking for OPs and HM FPs. Being on planets, general chat is active with people looking for heroics.

Based on my observation, person who plays every day,  game is more active right now that ir was 2-3 months ago.

And I know that The Ebon Hawk is not the most populated server as it is RP server.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I decided to patch and start a new character tonight.  The starting zone was extremely packed as in had to compete with groups of players for the same quest mobs.  It looked like a game a release.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• enrayenray Member Posts: 4
    "As a top-tier MMO though, The Old Republic is done. Many games are said to have their day. The Old Republic's initial blaze of glory took that rather more literally than most, and this year's big releases have left it in the dust. Consider it on life support - and not the cool Darth Vader kind. The NHS kind. Surrounded by nurses who won't shut up about BUPA."
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    I decided to patch and start a new character tonight.  The starting zone was extremely packed as in had to compete with groups of players for the same quest mobs.  It looked like a game a release.

This is what they just don't understand but haters are gonna hate.image

• lareslocilaresloci Member UncommonPosts: 373
    I started a toon on Harbinger as well. It wasn't crowed but pleasantly packed. That's a West Coast PVE server with heavy traffic. I am not too sure about server merges at this point.

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

depends on the instance you are in. In general if you are in instance 3 of a planet there are less people, if you are in instance 1, you are packed.

Game is far from dead. Yeah you can look for your self, but also check to see which instance you are in before pointing out  that the game is dead and no one plays. f2p saved SWTOR, EA is changing things, to slow from some tastes, not enough for others, just right for many of the current players. Don't want to spend money in the Cartel shop, don't, buy it with credits. Get into a guild that allows for f2p players (and that have a "banker" where you can have a sub buy the higher priced items to get around the credit cap) and you can have tons of fun.

Races are often times really cheep, unlocks are really cheep (if not account wide) spend a measly 5$ and you unlock lots of what many bitch about in the f2p model. It isn't a bad f2p model and it is easy to get around if you play with others, or are in a good guild.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
    I left a long time ago. I got my jedi knight to 50 and completed the story line after that with only the same missions to look forward to on the same planets in the same order I just could not log back in. Even WoW gave you more options that that and that is truly sad. Wow may be a theme park but ToR is a train there is one track and not much of a view.
  • cgplayercgplayer Member Posts: 20
    I have been playing mmos for about 7 years played lotro for 5yrs only have one max player, AOC 2 max players (mainly due to the start at 50 and offline leveling). In Swtor I have two max levels one with 69/72 and other with all 69s. I recently started my 3 char on shawdowlands. im at level 30 and its been packed everywhere i go. Every planet has multiple instances. People grouping, fighting for mob, chats buzzing, world boss invites, fp ques less than ten min (im a tank), guilds actively recruiting. There will be no server merger the population is very healthy!

The servers were more packed a few months ago, as there were 5 US servers all FULL, but they are constantly going down, as now they are mostly Heavy.

Even if more people play you will not see the game any more packed due to the instances. The only time you will notice the game getting dead in game will be when there are not enough people to create a second instance, which might be the case about Nov/Dec, like last year in Oct / Nov before F2P

I understand that the servers are currently packed (and could be even more packed if it did not have to be instanced), but I just do not understand what is in game now, compared to last year, which made 75% people who bought the game quit, by the time it went F2P, to make people stay in the game longer now this year.

By the end of the year, the game will be dead wiith no more aces left to play to get people in to play it, unless they make it B2P and has no restrictions, and the only things to buy on the CM are cosmetic things. This might get it a bit more popular again.

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

The servers were more packed a few months ago, as there were 5 US servers all FULL, but they are constantly going down, as now they are mostly Heavy.

Even if more people play you will not see the game any more packed due to the instances. The only time you will notice the game getting dead in game will be when there are not enough people to create a second instance, which might be the case about Nov/Dec, like last year in Oct / Nov before F2P

I understand that the servers are currently packed (and could be even more packed if it did not have to be instanced), but I just do not understand what is in game now, compared to last year, which made 75% people who bought the game quit, by the time it went F2P, to make people stay in the game longer now this year.

By the end of the year, the game will be dead wiith no more aces left to play to get people in to play it, unless they make it B2P and has no restrictions, and the only things to buy on the CM are cosmetic things. This might get it a bit more popular again.

Ahh yes, just like it was doomed 6 months ago, just like it was doomed at launch?

Who cares if you cannot physically see them. EVERY game has some sort of version of global chat, does that mean they are not there because you cannot see them? Does it mean you cannot group with them because you are standing in the same spot in 2 different instances?

You do not understand why people are playing? Umm because they WANT TO?? f2p made the game more accessible to the overall masses. There are not only players currently playing who played before. There are NEW people playing as well. People who, at the time of launch, had other games they were playing or who did not want to SUB to a new game,

f2p made many of those invisible restrictions go away. People are now able to spend as they see fit to play as  they see fit. How is that a loss? Every game has an influx of players when things change. Every purchased expansion has a huge influx of players, and then a tapering period I do not see how you can point to this as anything different or out of the norm unless you are reaching for something to hate about this game. Even then you have on these HUGE blinders because EVERY post you see to do is about "how it is failing" even when your prove is a standard influx/outflux of EVERY MMO.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
    Originally posted by mrrshann618

Ahh yes, just like it was doomed 6 months ago, just like it was doomed at launch?

Who cares if you cannot physically see them. EVERY game has some sort of version of global chat, does that mean they are not there because you cannot see them? Does it mean you cannot group with them because you are standing in the same spot in 2 different instances?

You do not understand why people are playing? Umm because they WANT TO?? f2p made the game more accessible to the overall masses. There are not only players currently playing who played before. There are NEW people playing as well. People who, at the time of launch, had other games they were playing or who did not want to SUB to a new game,

f2p made many of those invisible restrictions go away. People are now able to spend as they see fit to play as  they see fit. How is that a loss? Every game has an influx of players when things change. Every purchased expansion has a huge influx of players, and then a tapering period I do not see how you can point to this as anything different or out of the norm unless you are reaching for something to hate about this game. Even then you have on these HUGE blinders because EVERY post you see to do is about "how it is failing" even when your prove is a standard influx/outflux of EVERY MMO.

It was doomed at launch or shortly afterwards when BW/EA have no clue what to do to keep the (millions of) subs, else it would not have gone F2P

I understand why people are playing, but I do not see them playing for much longer, as 1.5 million people out of 2 million stopped playing it last year, and now most of the remaining 500K that were there at F2P have probably stopped playing too, but been replaced by more people with F2P. The game has not had any stuff added to the game to keep people playing long term. Why will people keep playing now, when people did not keep playing last year?

F2P did not fix the problem of why 1.5 million people out of 2 million quit the game last year, the same thing will happen again. At least last year it was all fresh and new and full of hope, but with F2P all that went out the window, and they have been abusing the Cartel Market, and making subscribers feel undervalued (which  BW acknowledged not that long ago which I have linked to several times in this thread - now will see if they will make things better)

SWG died Nov 15th 2005, SWTOR died Nov 15th 2012.

• Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178

I've been playing SWTOR and I must say I like it better now that it has went F2P. The game tends to just suck you in, and for those who were spectacle to play because of all the negativity and hate on message boards don't lose anything when they can download it for free and give it a go. Within a few days they sub, because they get hooked, me included. The fact is the game is alive at the moment, and while there is nothing else on the market except maybe Neverwinter or GW (if that's your bag of tea,) the game will keep thriving.

It will be interesting to see where the game goes once RIft goes F2P but I hear that RIft's cash shop will piss a lot of people off. Until then SWTOR is going to be my go to game along with everyone else who loves story telling with an MMORPG aspect rolled into one. These hate threads are starting to get redundant because opinions are opinions but the fact is that SWTOR is INDEED thriving. Yes I've mention that the game is thriving about three times now.

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
    ---

This discussion has been closed.