Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic ... in the shitter

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

This isn't a love thread or a hate thread.  Just a thread as it stands.

Patch 2.1 just hit, and .. oh! What a whopper that was.

Cash shop items galore.  Even a new race, the Cathar.  Plus so many extra's!

SWTOR seems like it is somewhat losing luster amongst fans.

If I were to say one thing that SWTOR had other games didn't, it was class stories, but even MaKeb FUBARED that up.

Cartel Market!  Oh what a blessing to the Star Wars Universe!

Great game, it's F2P !!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

and it doesnt help them , that STO have actually delivered on some of their promises

their expansion is quite enjoyable,,and really FREE

swtor is in the shitter...yes....and, sadly, it isnt even SITTING on the shitter

when the stench becomes unbearable, one of the suits will flush it out

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    What else is new
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Yeah things look pretty grim over there. Subs are up and they're making more money now than at launch. It's probably time they started looking for new jobs.
  • sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151
    Time for disney to make star wars galaxies 2. Pre-cu sandbox like mmo with modern graphics that don't look like cartoon/cell shade. more like guild wars or something.

• sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151
    Tired companies like SOE and EA ruining things. yes i'm aware it is bioware but we all know what EA does to most products. For those who would like star wars galaxies what company would you like to make it if it happened.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

It certainly is in the 'shitter' and is losing players left and right! OMG!

Hang on.... didn't EA say that SWTOR's F2P went great and that they were making money etc etc? LOLWUT?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by jpnz

Hang on.... didn't EA say that SWTOR's F2P went great and that they were making money etc etc? LOLWUT?

if you thought that bit was funny then you probably didnt read the bit where someone said that STO was finally delivering on its promises.. truly hillarious image

so many people seem to be playing SW;TOR, and buying, did a couple of low level flashpoints, and these cathar seem to be everywhere.. can't see the point in them myself but people do seem to be buying them.. too reminiscent of WoW's sparkly ponies for me but... come to think of it.. didnt WoW sell a pile of those tooimage

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Yeah things look pretty grim over there. Subs are up and they're making more money now than at launch. It's probably time they started looking for new jobs.

Not what they said.

Average revenue per month was higher in the c.4 months of F2P than it was before going F2P. They didn't say they were making money and the c.4 months included the revenue from Makeb. And increased revenue doesn't mean they are making money.

As for subs the previous number they announced was "between 1M and 500k". So technically the official announcement was a reported drop in subs. I know what you mean though: more subs than at the time they went F2P.

I am not saying they are doing badly (or well) just warning against reading more into what they say than they actually say. Like at launch when they announced 1.7M subs but only c.850k were recurring. The sub-500k number will be inflated by Makeb purchases.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Karteli

This isn't a love thread or a hate thread.

You could at least try being honest, and not start things out with such laughable BS.

That, and maybe try learning the difference between fact and opinion.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by sexypanda198
    Tired companies like SOE and EA ruining things. yes i'm aware it is bioware but we all know what EA does to most products. For those who would like star wars galaxies what company would you like to make it if it happened.

Uhh Sony did fine.... So ill say Sony

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Myria

This isn't a love thread or a hate thread.

You could at least try being honest, and not start things out with such laughable BS.

That, and maybe try learning the difference between fact and opinion.

...but then Kart would have nothing to say

(for your back bro cartoon cats unite :).  )

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    I personally believe SWTOR is getting better and better. All you expressed was an opinion. Like backsides everyone has an opinion.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by jpnz

if you thought that bit was funny then you probably didnt read the bit where someone said that STO was finally delivering on its promises.. truly hillarious image

so many people seem to be playing SW;TOR, and buying, did a couple of low level flashpoints, and these cathar seem to be everywhere.. can't see the point in them myself but people do seem to be buying them.. too reminiscent of WoW's sparkly ponies for me but... come to think of it.. didnt WoW sell a pile of those tooimage

STO also serves a dark overlord, yes, but they do a better job

and they dont  squeeze the player, like EA does

dont like sparkly ponies myself, so i dont buy them

but they have paid for some of wows other content too,,more options`=more Cash

if you dont like new games, dont play them, the old school games are still alive

and with a playerbase of 100k, the number of trolls are negligable there

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

EA need to ask themselves the question:

"if a monthly sub was an item in the cash shop what would a F2P person get by purchasing it".

In April the headline was:  "$10 discount on purchasing Makeb". They sold nearly 500k. Up maybe 300k - as they "lost" 300kk F2P accounts.

In May it is back to - unnecessary action bars, some cartel coins, no cap on repeating weekly WZs etc. Don't think they will sell as many.

It could have been: May subscription includes the Cathar unlock.

EA don't seem to have gotten their heads around how they want to derive revenue from the game long term. Their entire focus is very, very short term.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

2.1 certainly made subbers revolt. I looked at the official forums on the weekend and it was full of rage against the 2.1 update, with "EA lied to us" , "Cartel market being a RIPOFF", a bunch of threads complaining about the cartel market, and some threads of subbers having enough and quitting. Resulting in EA having to respond

Hey folks,

I will just be as honest as I can here, it was a poor choice in wording on our part. I know that players have made decisions around whether to remain a subscriber based on those words which makes it all that much more sensitive. I apologize if you feel that you were misled by what we said in that blog. Since this blog I feel we have been more consistent in our messaging that you can expect things like cosmetic and convenience features (like Appearance Designer) are the types of things we usually place on the Cartel Market.

It has always been our plan that as new content is released,(such as Flashpoints, Operations, in-game events, daily hubs, etc.) that subscribers will get access to these pieces of content. This is unlike a free-2-play player who will need to purchase access to that content. This is why we stated subscribers gained "unlimited" access to that content, because you get that as a part of your subscription.

For Cartel Market items, you have access to purchase all of them, as do F2P players. What sets you folks apart is your monthly stipend which will allow you to purchase those features at no additional cost should you choose. I realize with your stipend, and with all the features we have, you may not be able to get it all at once but you can get it in time as a subscriber.

With that being said we have definitely heard your frustrations around Game Updates and the value you feel as a subscriber. I don't have details today but we are continuing to look at options moving forward to make sure that you don't feel that way.

-eric

The 2.1 update mainly negatively affects subbers - people are just getting fed up. Also those who can post are subbers

SWTOR is certainly in a very sad state, and Makeb was its last bright point.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gervaise

That's EAs focus with everything. Ea always think in the short term. That's why they don't care their reputation is in "the shitter", make cash now, to hell with the consequences long term.

It's why they are such an unsuitable company to run mmos, they have a "once its shipped its done" attitude that leads them to neglect their mmos pve released. Well except swtor, they neglected it long enough then some bright spark realised you could sell hardcore star wars fans any old crap as long as its star wars, so the cash shop was embraced.
  • BjarkaBjarka Member Posts: 11

As I understand it:

A. EA has said previously that some updates per year will be towards the Cartel Market. 2.1 is such an update.

B. According to their regular timeplan regarding updates 2.2 will come soon and that is focused on content.

C. As allways - reading the forums of a game is to take part of all the ones who are negative, since the unhappy ones forum-fight and the happy ones are in-game playing.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Yay another SWTOR sucks thread!  While I agree that some of the F2P restrictions are awful, do we really need another one of these TOR is dying, EA is horrible threads?
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Bjarka

As I understand it:

A. EA has said previously that some updates per year will be towards the Cartel Market. 2.1 is such an update.

B. According to their regular timeplan regarding updates 2.2 will come soon and that is focused on content.

C. As allways - reading the forums of a game is to take part of all the ones who are negative, since the unhappy ones forum-fight and the happy ones are in-game playing.

Millions of happy FREE players, with unhappy subscribers.

I guess the non CM updates are not enough. With BW responding, the amount of cancellations must be huge, as people moan about the game plenty without them saying anything.

People who cancel may still play but not pay anything, but millions and millions of people playing for FREE and not spending enough will not keep the game running, but a few thousand subbers might but now they seem to be losing these.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i lol'ed IRL

you aint gotta lie to kick it.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by superniceguy
    2.1 certainly made subbers revolt. I looked at the official forums on the weekend and it was full of rage against the 2.1 update, with "EA lied to us" , "Cartel market being a RIPOFF", a bunch of threads complaining about the cartel market, and some threads of subbers having enough and quitting. Resulting in EA having to respondHey folks,I will just be as honest as I can here, it was a poor choice in wording on our part. I know that players have made decisions around whether to remain a subscriber based on those words which makes it all that much more sensitive. I apologize if you feel that you were misled by what we said in that blog. Since this blog I feel we have been more consistent in our messaging that you can expect things like cosmetic and convenience features (like Appearance Designer) are the types of things we usually place on the Cartel Market.It has always been our plan that as new content is released,(such as Flashpoints, Operations, in-game events, daily hubs, etc.) that subscribers will get access to these pieces of content. This is unlike a free-2-play player who will need to purchase access to that content. This is why we stated subscribers gained "unlimited" access to that content, because you get that as a part of your subscription.For Cartel Market items, you have access to purchase all of them, as do F2P players. What sets you folks apart is your monthly stipend which will allow you to purchase those features at no additional cost should you choose. I realize with your stipend, and with all the features we have, you may not be able to get it all at once but you can get it in time as a subscriber.With that being said we have definitely heard your frustrations around Game Updates and the value you feel as a subscriber. I don't have details today but we are continuing to look at options moving forward to make sure that you don't feel that way.-eric The 2.1 update mainly negatively affects subbers - people are just getting fed up. Also those who can post are subbersSWTOR is certainly in a very sad state, and Makeb was its last bright point.

a sad state as being one of the most popular and money making mmo's in the west lol

also, don't lump all subscribers into one entity, most actually didn't "revolt" and when i say most i mean the very vast majority did not.

just because some people are unhappy with the patch doesn't mean all are un happy.

the only thing about it that truly pisses me off is the fact that subscribers still need to purchase the cathar unlock, that is truly BS IMO

but hey that's EA for ya!

i still think its a decent mmo that many many people enjoy, even if you don't.

• BjarkaBjarka Member Posts: 11

I guess the non CM updates are not enough. With BW responding, the amount of cancellations must be huge, as people moan about the game plenty without them saying anything.

People who cancel may still play but not pay anything, but millions and millions of people playing for FREE and not spending enough will not keep the game running, but a few thousand subbers might but now they seem to be losing these.

SWTOR has just under 500 000 SUBSCRIBERS! Not just a few thousands...

The action in the starter areas suggest a constant influx of players oc old players lvl new toons - action anyhow.

SWTOR are doing fine...a 1000 subscribers who un-sub isn't the end of the game even if the ego of them would think so. :P

Lots of F2P-players spend money on cartel coins and I bet a lot of them transition from F2P to being subscribers.

The doom-talk about SWTOR has been consistent since launch (True, the lost a lot of subscribers and went F2P) - but the game i sthiving sub-wise and player-wise.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well in the mind of someone normal, 500,000 subs is doing pretty good

In the mind of an EA exec who thought they were going to make the new wow, its a failure.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Bjarka

SWTOR has just under 500 000 SUBSCRIBERS! Not just a few thousands...

The action in the starter areas suggest a constant influx of players oc old players lvl new toons - action anyhow.

SWTOR are doing fine...a 1000 subscribers who un-sub isn't the end of the game even if the ego of them would think so. :P

Lots of F2P-players spend money on cartel coins and I bet a lot of them transition from F2P to being subscribers.

The doom-talk about SWTOR has been consistent since launch (True, the lost a lot of subscribers and went F2P) - but the game i sthiving sub-wise and player-wise.

Just under 500k sounds better than less than 500k, but more than zero.

When EA used that massive range of 500k-1M in their earlier earnings call last year, some white knighters flocked to the high end of the spectrum too, neglecting the possibility that it had just above 500k and nowhere near 1 million.

Without hard numbers being released, 50k subscribers is just as likely as 400k.  EA is a master of manipulation though.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Darklighter1Darklighter1 Member UncommonPosts: 250

Patch 2.1 just hit, and .. oh! What a whopper that was.

Cash shop items galore.  Even a new race, the Cathar.  Plus so many extra's!

SWTOR seems like it is somewhat losing luster amongst fans.

If I were to say one thing that SWTOR had other games didn't, it was class stories, but even MaKeb FUBARED that up.

Cartel Market!  Oh what a blessing to the Star Wars Universe!

Great game, it's F2P !!

LOL idiotic posts like this is why I rarely frequent this site anymore.  What are you....12?  The title alone is just pathetic.  Give this a try....if you don't like the game, DON'T PLAY IT.  Also, try to refrain going on a website and throwing a tantrum....although your tears ARE rather tasty....

This discussion has been closed.