Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No World PvP? No Thanks...

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

So ESO stated that their PvP will be [mod edit]., dedicated PvP area.

I'm done with the sass. No thanks.

This game seems to be more like a medieval SWTOR, anyways.

Comments

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Well at least you have made your mind up, so now you can look forward to some other game.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

apparently the countless threads already in existence on this topic was not enough.

• ezduzitezduzit Member Posts: 112

I have to agree. PVP zones or arena have no place in a future MMO. It's part of the same old crap that is proven ineffective to the pvp community.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by ezduzit

I have to agree. PVP zones or arena have no place in a future MMO. It's part of the same old crap that is proven ineffective to the pvp community.

The DAoC model used in ESO for PvP is one well loved and reminisced by many hard core PvP fan. Myself included. They could not have picked a better PvP model IMO. Open world PvP everywhere mostly leads to two things. Players picking on low level chars and camping quest hubs. Or PvP groups spread out so thin you dont get much PvP action. All PvP focused on one big map means more large scale battles and removes the griefers. 

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

No world pvp, yes please.

I am *so* done with WPVP games at this point, I am pretty stoked by this. Will it be a smaller crowd? Sure thing. Doesn't matter to me. 

What I get sick of with world pvp is how balance attempts affect pve. It seems that anyone has yet to find a situation wherein they can have two separate systems that do not necessitate balances/nerfs for one without affecting the other and keep open world pvp workable.

That, and aside from some vanilla WoW experiences, world pvp just seems to bring out the douchebags and griefers anyway.  

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Good luck in your current "pvp" mmo, probably wow.
  • itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

The DAoC model used in ESO for PvP is one well loved and reminisced by many hard core PvP fan. Myself included. They could not have picked a better PvP model IMO. Open world PvP everywhere mostly leads to two things. Players picking on low level chars and camping quest hubs. Or PvP groups spread out so thin you dont get much PvP action. All PvP focused on one big map means more large scale battles and removes the griefers. 

Haven't you learned anything from these forums? World pvp is only fun when you can macro your skills to max level and steamroll noobs or level to max level and then have your way with newbie zones/quest hubs.image

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

yea... right.

pveler commenting on pvp, always nice to see :)

ineeffective? no true pvpler would claim that DAOC's pvp system was ineffective. and that's what they aim for here (by using nearly exactly the same system)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    This is obligatory 'is there open world PVP?' thread that pops on every single MMO forum. No forum will be complete without this.
    And the answer is

Depends where your character is stood.
  • eiekaleiekal Member Posts: 16

First off, I love the Frank Frazetta Pic, Naral.

I'm an old school pvper going back to the mudding pvp days like many (or few) of you.  To us these "newer" mmo's are carebear because you dont lose all your gear when you die.  Griefing is no problem because you lose nothing.  Skirmish fighting is fun as hell in world pvp.  Anticipating being jumped is the very excitement I look for and this feeling only comes from a online game where other players can attack you unaware.

I havent had a chance to research the pvp in this game but I keep looking for a game with collision detection (which I love even with its downsides), and where movement and positional attacks mean something and give an advantage.  I've tried the latest GW2 and the older darkfalls and they punish circle strafers by slowing strafe speed.  I might as well take off my strafe keys on my keyboard.   I hope this game turns out to have collision detection and reward movement and positional attacks other than just a rogue class.  Don't slow strafe speed, Slow stationary rotation speed so everyone will have to use movement and their strafe keys.

My 2 cents is I would like to have had world pvp.  Alot of pvpers are searching hard for a great pvp game.  Can't pve'ers get their pve fix by playing wow?  It has pve and raids, what more can a pve'er ask for :p

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

And so the self-culling continues... good. Move along, nothing to see here.

And OP... "medieval SWTOR" really wasn't so clever that it deserved posting here and here.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Eikal
    Try planetside 2 for a more casual pvp experience. Eve for a more involved one (play the tutorial its important). Or aow for something in between.

It's a decent time for mmo pvp now. For most of the post wow years we only had eve that was any good.
    Iselin

What's funny is he's asking for the game to be more like medieval swtor. E.g. wow.

Does he not realise swtor has the same flick a switch on a few pvp servers setup as wow?
    [mod edit]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

ShakyMo, thank you.  I'll check them out closely.  Speaking of Eve, that pvp game has been around for a long time...and some ppl say a game focused on pvp is doomed to fail =D

Thanks again

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    [mod edit]

"So ESO stated that their PvP will be ultra sassy, e.g., dedicated PvP area.

This game seems to be more like a medieval SWTOR, anyways."

Where does he say that?

Originally posted by Saxonblade
    [mod edit]

Where does he say that?

Your post is funny. For many months the shorthand criticism for SWTOR is that it was just "WOW in space." So when someone dismisses ESO as a medieval SWTOR, doesn't that sorta, kinda, point back to WOW? image

It did for me.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• kizan0601kizan0601 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Too bad this game is going to end up just like swtor like someone else mentioned....for the open world pvpers....looks like Wildstar is going to gain a lot more players now.
  • crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

So ESO stated that their PvP will be [mod edit]., dedicated PvP area.

This game seems to be more like a medieval SWTOR, anyways..

While I will certainly wait before I make up my mind, I think there is something to be said about this becoming a medieval SWTOR.  While I'm not certain where this will go, I could certainly see it taking that route.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Saxonblade
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Iselin

What's funny is he's asking for the game to be more like medieval swtor. E.g. wow.

Does he not realise swtor has the same flick a switch on a few pvp servers setup as wow?

Where does he say that?

Your post is funny. For many months the shorthand criticism for SWTOR is that it was just "WOW in space." So when someone dismisses ESO as a medieval SWTOR, doesn't that sorta, kinda, point back to WOW? image

It did for me.

where did he state he wanted the game like wow, please tell me, he compared it to wow not asked for it, it did not seem like he asked for a medievil swtor, but used more as a comparison.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Good!

I'm sick and tired of great games getting ruined by trying to balance around PvP. 

[mod edit]

Well IDK about you but when I'm new to a forum I don't usually start off by calling PVErs "carebear." Not to mention I usually try to find out what the conversation is about and what others have already said before I jump in... just in case I might be saying what has already been said 1000 times before? Know what I mean?

But that's just me I guess.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

So ESO stated that their PvP will be [mod edit]., dedicated PvP area.

This game seems to be more like a medieval SWTOR, anyways.

+1  i dont want more fucking games whit pvp arena i want OPEN WORLD!

I'm with you davc and op.  Remember those guys that left wow when they put in bg's because it ruined world pvp?

I sheepishly admit I was one of those nerds lol

I think I went to warhammer so overall it was a good choice to leave and never come back =D