Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still, no MMORPG surpasses WoW in fluid combat (in my opinion): Why not?

124»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

As for the last post: D3 definitely isn't a MMORPG.

True. But close enough, particular to instanced gameplay.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

The two aren't even remotely similar in terms of combat, movement, mechanics etc. 

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

The department heads and leadership at Blizzard may no longer be what it once was, but they've always had and continue to have some really, really talented developers/designers/programmers etc.

They certainly have the money and prestige (name recognition) to pull in top talent.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I definitely agree that WoW has one of the most fluid feeling combat systems, but I do think there are several other games that match or surpass WoW's combat feel in at least a few aspects.  First of all, it should be noted that I suspect everyone defines "fluid" a little differently.  So keep that in mind when reading anyone else's thoughts on the matter.  

Games like GW2 and Tera undoubtedly do the whole movement while casting thing much better than WoW, to the point where it can be really hard for players who have played these games to ever go back to WoW.  I find myself trying to dodge in every game I play.  I find myself constantly trying to run and strafe while casting abilities, only to have those casts get interrupted.  Stationary combat suddenly feels so frustrating and, well, slow after playing games like this.  (Just as WoW's combat felt so lightning fast to me after having played FFXI for well over a year.)  

I do, however, think WoW does group combat better than these games (at least, or most especially back when CC was still a big deal.)  The more structured, controlled pulls in WoW, where everyone has a defined roll they must fulfill in order for the group to succeed creates a more "fluid," synergistic group experience than the chaos of GW2 groups.  I can't really speak about Tera because I lost interest long before I got to any significant group content.  

Interestingly, the most fluid MMO combat I've ever experienced was probably in that silly little Nexon instanced game, Dragon Nest.  Individual character spells felt amazingly responsive and satisfying to land.  

Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

The two aren't even remotely similar in terms of combat, movement, mechanics etc. 

Close enough in terms of how players are organized. You click on an interface on how you want to group, and you go into an instance with few other players.

I am not talking about combat mechanics. And if the issue is fluid combat .. D3 has fluid combat.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by filmoret

Tera, Rift, DDO, SWTOR, Eden Eternal, Shaiya, Grand Fantasia, Age of Wushu, Gates of Andaron, DCUO,  Aion, ect ect ect .....

These all have fluid combat like you are describing.

And yes there are also a bunch of games that do not have fluid combat.

end of discussion there ...

whats going wrong with this statement of the OP i have seen it many times  and i have played WoW for 10 hours in my life, enough to see its fluid combat and wtf it was the same as other MMOs i have played ..! even previous games of WoW had the same fluid combat ...

wake up fun boys !

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

I agree completely with the OP.  Like many others here I've tried most mmo's from Ryzom, Lotro, Aoc to recent ones like Aion, Rift, GW2, Tera, Neverwinter (won't bore you all with the complete list, just wanted to give a flavour of the range).  I also agree with the poster who said that trying to explain fluidity of combat is like trying to explain colour to someone who can't see (or something similar).  Also agree with Icewhite (sp?) who pointed out that it is very subjective.

Fluidity in a game for me isn't actually just about the combat, it's about animation generally, so how my character moves around really matters to me.  Dancing, running, walking, even just standing still ... I like the character to feel fluid and realistic in terms of movement.  I had to stop playing EQ2 and Lotro and some others for this reason.  The character movement just felt sort of wooden and awkward.  Hard to explain exactly what it means overall to me, but it's something to do with how easily I feel immersed in playing the character.  If the movement and combat is clunky and/or clumsy, and my character is not immediately responsive, I just can't play it.  If the movement is fluid and graceful, then, funnily enough, I sort of don't notice that until it's taken away.  So, I took it for granted in WoW which I played shortly after release and on and off ever since (although currently not playing nor planning to return), but when I want from WoW to Lotro and EQ2 the difference was incredible.

So, it's not to do with UI, or lag, I think it's something to do with motion capture influencing the animations and maybe the coding and/or game engine.  If you don't notice it, that's great, you're lucky because you'll find games to enjoy, but spare a thought for those of us who are really bugged by lack of fluidity in our characters.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Neverwinter has the best MMO combat, IMO. It's action packed, very fluid, and much more involved than the typical tab-target style of combat. The rest of the game is...     typical.

I personally find WoW's combat to be boring. The only tab-target game with decent combat was SWTOR, and that was the only thing good about it.

Originally posted by Dauzqul

Neverwinter has the best MMO combat, IMO. It's action packed, very fluid, and much more involved than the typical tab-target style of combat. The rest of the game is...     typical.

I personally find WoW's combat to be boring. The only tab-target game with decent combat was SWTOR, and that was the only thing good about it.

Agreed. NWO has pretty good combat. That is why i am playing the game.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Agree with OP, but have no problems with Swtor or GW2 either.
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    I find WoW's combat to be some of the worst of any mmorpg out there. One thing I will agree with is that the control response is very good. Otherwise it is terrible.