Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will not/Never be Open world

RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Sorry to burst the bubble of a lot of TSW haters who seem to have the same idea in mind. "Make TSW Open World"

Ill start by using Sheer math to show how dumb this is.

Azeroth is a planet smaller than our moon via the last calculation i read. So lets move the example to TSW. TSW is Earth, our earth, our Massive Massive Earth. In order to code this your looking at hundreds of GB of coding not to mention years of Scouting costs that would bankrupt the Rockefellers and the Rothchilds combined. Earth is simply Too big for us to be able to turn into a open world MMORPG.

Second, ill use lore.

Things aren't exploding world wide. Select fights are happening in Select areas. your dog house is not a haven for monsters to roam(unless its in kingsmouth) if the game was to go totally open world you would have places the size of countries with absolutely no action going on.

Third, Common Sense.

The real world is big, very big in fact.  Would you like to spend a entire day driving from Toronto to Florida. with absolutely nothing happening during that time. Didn't think so, This is simply another instance of Looks good on paper, Horrible in practice. 

Because i can.
I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Comments

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    ....ok.....thanks for sharing I guess...
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Rayshe

Sorry to burst the bubble of a lot of TSW haters who seem to have the same idea in mind. "Make TSW Open World"

Azeroth is a planet smaller than our moon via the last calculation i read. So lets move the example to TSW. TSW is Earth, our earth, our Massive Massive Earth. In order to code this your looking at hundreds of GB of coding not to mention years of Scouting costs that would bankrupt the Rockefellers and the Rothchilds combined. Earth is simply Too big for us to be able to turn into a open world MMORPG.

Well there is already a game engine in development where you can literally fly/drive/walk around the entire planet.

http://www.outerra.com/

I helped back it and its one awesome engine.. hopefully they will be able to make a good game out of it as well.

You are right tho its way too big for one developer to create the content to fill the world.. but hand that to te players and get enough people playing well things could get interesting if done right.. but that dependsi guess on how many people u can get playing. Still a lot of work..

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    I like TSW in its current state but I wouldn't complain if they added more free form exploration or investigating, the world just seems to scream for it : )

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

If there is one game out there that does not need to be totally openworld, its this game. Its build with and around the stories. Really immersive this way.

there is but one thing this game needs and thats a huge improvemnet to the combat...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    I wasn't aware there was even anyone clamoring for this. Non-issue?

<3

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    I like the way the game is set up already, though I would like to see them add in more podunk towns with random strange happenings to investigate.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by sado2020
    I like TSW in its current state but I wouldn't complain if they added more free form exploration or investigating, the world just seems to scream for it : )

I've started this sentence three times, let's see if the fourth time is the charm.

The world of TSW is based around stories, literary concepts placed in the world. It's pretty natural that they would have a pretty linear structure. They could definitely add some nonlinear content, but it would have to fit in the framework of the rest of the game. So a nonlinear area, where players interacted in a way that wasn't part of a linear story line would still have to have roots in stories.

Does that make sense? They could do it, but it would be tricky to get it right in the context of TSW's world.

One other caveat is that I don't think anything like that would be implemented for lower level players. Not because they couldn't do it, but because new content for lower level players doesn't seem to be a common thing that's done. But really, it would be cool if the linear, story driven leveling game opened up into a nonlinear, story driven open world.

I agree with the OP in that I don't think it will happen. Maybe if the game sold a million copies as they wanted it could happen, but probably not now. :-(

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by cura
    Open world doesnt mean it have to be the size of the Earth hehe. Anyway TSWs combat is crap so they would have to work this out first for me to return.

What is wrong with combat?

Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    Originally posted by cura Open world doesnt mean it have to be the size of the Earth hehe. Anyway TSWs combat is crap so they would have to work this out first for me to return.
    What is wrong with combat?

The combat does not have as fast of a pace as you'd expect from TSW's setting and will fall into the standing there spamming a few buttons over and over again on a regular basis. It's probably the weakest aspect of the game, but it's certainly not the weakest MMO combat to exist. It's not something I would comment on as being "bad", but not something I would comment on as being "good" either. It's "Meh".

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Well there is already a game engine in development where you can literally fly/drive/walk around the entire planet.

http://www.outerra.com/

I helped back it and its one awesome engine.. hopefully they will be able to make a good game out of it as well.

Just took a look at that site and I am impressed. Will be checking it out tonight when I get home.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Ok.

What's so wrong about combat?

It's boring and stiff.

• Kemosabe-TBCKemosabe-TBC Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by lizardbone

The combat does not have as fast of a pace as you'd expect from TSW's setting and will fall into the standing there spamming a few buttons over and over again on a regular basis.

That's definitely not the case... If you think combat is just spamming a few buttons then you won't last long on NM dungeons and PVP.

Originally posted by Rayshe

Azeroth is a planet smaller than our moon via the last calculation i read. So lets move the example to TSW. TSW is Earth, our earth, our Massive Massive Earth. In order to code this your looking at hundreds of GB of coding

Hundreds of GB of assets *maybe*, code itself would never be more than a few hundred megabytes (and thats already too much).

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Ok.

What's so wrong about combat?

It's boring and stiff.

Feels like GW2 combat to be honest, time ago when i played both games.

Both are about spamming your auto attack non stop and then throw some special skills to nuke out or to do special buffs/debuffs.

Both are tab target. So everyone says tsw combat is boring, also means gw2 combat is also boring which is simple the same.

Just in gw2 they call the spam skill autoattack, and in tsw they call it ressource builder.

Originally posted by Kemosabe-TBC
    Originally posted by lizardbone The combat does not have as fast of a pace as you'd expect from TSW's setting and will fall into the standing there spamming a few buttons over and over again on a regular basis.  
    That's definitely not the case... If you think combat is just spamming a few buttons then you won't last long on NM dungeons and PVP.

NM dungeons and PvP do not comprise the bulk of the game. I'm not even sure it's half the game. So for a large part of the game, possibly half or more, the combat is pretty "Meh". Again, it's not bad, but it's not great either. It's not a selling point of the game, but it's not a reason to not play the game either. It's just kind of "Meh".

Originally posted by Vapors
    Originally posted by Eir_S Originally posted by Gorwe Ok. What's so wrong about combat?
    It's boring and stiff.

Both are about spamming your auto attack non stop and then throw some special skills to nuke out or to do special buffs/debuffs.

Both are tab target. So everyone says tsw combat is boring, also means gw2 combat is also boring which is simple the same.

Just in gw2 they call the spam skill autoattack, and in tsw they call it ressource builder.

I didn't spend nearly as much time in GW2 as I'm spending in TSW, but the combat in GW2 seems to have a faster pace, and an easier progression system.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Gorwe Ok. What's so wrong about combat?
    It's boring and stiff.

I didn't spend nearly as much time in GW2 as I'm spending in TSW, but the combat in GW2 seems to have a faster pace, and an easier progression system.

Well faster pace, depens on what class you play. But easier progression system yes. But mechanics and combat fun ratio is actually the same. The point is in both games I don't feel the combat dynamics I had in other games.

Even to mention where I could agree is that Funcom, could take the best part of their previous game the AOC combat, which is just amazing. I never understood why they simply tried to do something new and casual.

Originally posted by lizardbones  

Originally posted by Gorwe Ok. What's so wrong about combat?
    It's boring and stiff.
    Feels like GW2 combat to be honest, time ago when i played both games.   Both are about spamming your auto attack non stop and then throw some special skills to nuke out or to do special buffs/debuffs. Both are tab target. So everyone says tsw combat is boring, also means gw2 combat is also boring which is simple the same. Just in gw2 they call the spam skill autoattack, and in tsw they call it ressource builder.
    Well faster pace, depens on what class you play. But easier progression system yes. But mechanics and combat fun ratio is actually the same. The point is in both games I don't feel the combat dynamics I had in other games.

Even to mention where I could agree is that Funcom, could take the best part of their previous game the AOC combat, which is just amazing. I never understood why they simply tried to do something new and casual.

I think the overall game is really good, from concept to execution. I think 'casual' was a good way to go, I just wouldn't list the combat as a selling point. I could say that about several MMOs though, so that's not something specific to TSW. TSW at least has the rest of the game going for it, where other MMOs don't.

I think they went casual with the game, but not with the combat. You don't have good skills, you have good combinations of skills. Finding those combinations seems like something that would be boring for casual players. The rest of the game seems like a good fit for casual players.

Someone is going to yell at me, but I think a predetermined progression path for combat skills where the system just puts the points in making sure the player gets some good combinations, kind of like GW2 would alleviate some of the 'meh' of the combat. The player picks their shotgun, chaos focus or whatever, and the system obliges them with a build.

If you think combat in TSW is casual you definitely don't know what you're doing... Normal content doesn't require the level of precision nightmares/PVP do, but it's definitely not a walk in the park where you just spam builders... If that's what you're doing then you're probably in the first 15% of the game only, I challenge you to do that in transylvania with green gear.

Originally posted by Kemosabe-TBC
    If you think combat in TSW is casual you definitely don't know what you're doing... Normal content doesn't require the level of precision nightmares/PVP do, but it's definitely not a walk in the park where you just spam builders... If that's what you're doing then you're probably in the first 15% of the game only, I challenge you to do that in transylvania with green gear.

That's just it. They went pretty casual with the overall game, and did a good job of it, but didn't go that casual with the combat (I think). If I were an influence on their development, I'd get them to focus on the combat, not an open world. I don't know if I'd go 'casual' with the combat, but something a little different than what's there.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I'm not sure open world would help it all that much (in terms of getting more people back).  

But...

TSW + Neverwinter's combat and focus on animations = please take my money and keep it.

Though I had dreamt up something such as TSW having Ninja Gaiden's (the good ones) combat whenever I played TSW in that Ninja Outfit.  Maybe even a little DMC here and there.

That's all I'll say on that matter.  xD

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.