Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You know you're too old for MMOs when...

picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256

After reviving an old account including the mandatory password change I got a friendly answer from SOE (in perfect german spelling) that ends with the words:

"Wir danken Ihnen für Ihre Zeit und Mithilfe dabei, Ihrem Kind eine sichere Online-Spielerfahrung zu bieten!"

which means (sorry for probably weak translation) "We thank you for your time and cooperation to provide a secure online-gaming experience for your child!"

Usually I don't hide my true age (I'm born in 1956) and they know it but hey guys, it's me who still wants to play (my son is actually producing games, so he's got no time for gaming)! Oh well... image

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Hehe, nice.  I've often been embarrassed about how old I am and still playing games.  One day in LOTRO I was grouping with this guy who claimed to be in his early 70s. He started talking about his three marriages and then stopped and asked if everyone was old enough to hear his story.  Imagine my shock and surprise when out of 6 people I was the youngest!  (42 at the time).   With non-gamer friends I never tell them I play games.   
  • indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Gaming isn't for kids!  Yeah, I'm a 56 year old gamer.  Gaming, like any passion, is not restricted by age.  It's all about imagination for me and living in virtual worlds.  I think a level of maturity is required to really enjoy gaming. 
  • picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Wished this mindset would finally arrive in developer's heads. Most modern games seem to be created with younger audience in mind.
  • CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    55 next month... Hey, I can get a senior ticket to Hershey Park!
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    It is not a matter of how old you are but rather for non-gamers any age after 18 is too old to play games. It is just not responsible or mature or some other such claim. Never mind how much time they waste on TV, cheap novels, bad movies, or the time and cash spent at a bar or club. And just because you are busy doesn't mean you are using your time well.

All die, so die well.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I am the boss of me, know one else.  I do what I want without caring about others casting judgment.  If someone judges me because I am older and play games, well they are probably not the people I want to associate with anyway...

Here for a good time, not a longtime...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I also don't check if i have a good ping anymore, but rather check if i still have a pulse.

If you search the internet, you'll find several sites with articles like "X ways to tell that you are too old to game..." - i can't even remotely relate to any of them. So I guess that those folks are ironically way too young to write a piece about how to tell if someone is too old for gaming. Also, they have probably no idea how often someone like me ownes them in pvp and makes them smash their keyboard and yell at their monitor.

I havent noticed a decline of hand-eye coordination, reflexes or whatnot some older gamers reported in similar threads on these forums. In fact the only thing that tell me that i'm getting older as a gamer is that i'm losing patience way quicker when having to deal with the screaming, ill-bred kids on MMOs nowadays.

So i go by the motto that i'm never too old to game, but would probably start to age if one day i stop playing.