Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More of an RPG and not really a FPS now

socalsk8trsocalsk8tr Member Posts: 65

So having been in beta for a awhile now the last two patch updates have really kinda shown what the over all game is gonna end up like in the long run. The game in its original form started out as your basic Arena Style MMOFPS with one frame one map so on and yada yada. They then began making a 1/10th scale version of the earth for an open world and eventually we have what we have now for an open world in closed beta which would be a 10 square mile area for players to play in. 

The pve could be much better most the AI is pretty much aimbottish at this point and the game is pretty much all about gathering resources and crafting. It actually seems like were playing the roles of the mining company in the movie Avatar now and not mercenaries trying to fight off an alien enemy invasion. They came up with the greatest way ever to gather a resource in an MMO I've seen to date however they ended up making that the main feature of the game for the most part now.

They're pretty much obsessed with SWO and Eve's styles of economy and trying to force it into the game through permanent gear breakage. The gear decay system they use will cause your items to decay merely upon use damage received as well as a 10% hit to max durability upon death. You have a repair pool you can repair from but after that pool runs down you can no longer use the item and will have to replace it. They're coming up with some sort of salvage system where players can get a small amount of resources that was initially put into the equipment back. 

The equipment at end game is supposed to be around 100% improvement upon stats and there is only going to be 4 tiers of equipment to create. They are also making a crafting tree that prevents anyone player from being able to craft anything so you will be forced to trade in order to aquire something better than a stock piece of equipment.

They've also stated that there will be pve content that stock gear just wont work for creating a need to grind that gear to increase character stats to be able to participate (NB4GearcheckForRaids). If your interested in the game for a shooter stand point and are going based off any one of the single trailers they've used to promote the game I think you'll be severely disappointed when you get into the game and find that almost everything n those trailers starting back from 2010 at pax does not exist in the game itself. The only thing I've seen in any one single trailer they use to promote the game is thumpers a giant drill like item that draws in AI creatures while you gather resources.

They're also looking at Army vs. Army as end game content so the end game will be your typical guild vs. guild type of game play over controlling something in the game be it a specific resource/territory whatever that is what they're hoping to promote as endgame in open world pvp. 

The issue I see with open world pvp is allowing players to use crafted equipment in pvp. You can't call the game a "Skill Based Shooter" when I can do 100% more damage than someone else with a stock piece of equipment. They've basically claimed to try to keep to horizontal progression which with character progression it pretty much is somewhat. However the Constraint progression system they use basically feels more like what do I have to do to make my character suck less. 

The constraint offers little to no progression itself and unlocking a few constraints that allow you to equip a higher tier of equipment offers far more increase in stats equipping a tier 1 piece of equipment over unlocking all constraints and using a stock piece of equipment. Players that are new will start in stock equipment with no constraints unlocked will find they have less than 100% mobility/Power output or cpu usage so they basically gimp a new player before he even finishes customizing his character. Which there is very little customization to begin with in the first place in character creation and you'll find soon after creating the character there is more customization within the cash shop (5$ for that new haircut).

The best over all thing about the game is the open world and movement of your character. The movement is very smooth and fluid though some issues have started occurring with rubber banding and getting stuck on terrain for no reason with the last patch. The open world has a large amount of potential especially at a 1/10 scale version of the globe itself however they have utilized very little of that world and currently feels like everyone has been in that level 1-7 zone in your more typical RPG.

Again however the game is starting to move more towards action style rpg with ranged equipment and several skills for each class to select from and use (Be warned the better the equipment and more of it you use the worse your frame performs over all).Using equipment basically draws from the constraints which basically come down to weight and power usage. If you create a higher quality item it uses more power and requires more mass available. Often the Mass and power requirements and upgrade in stats can make a high quality tier two item almost as effective as low quality tier 1 item. 

If your expecting horizontal progression it barely exists there is no customizing weapons such as mods and what not more of each tier just allows you to increase stats in a specific area to each higher tier item such as tier one allows to increase damage and clip size and then tier two allows you to increase more damage clip size and reload time.

The resource and crafting system is gonna be a large turn off for casual players I think being theres now 16 different resources as well as each one of those resources has a quality of 1-1000. You go thump resources refine them from their raw counter part then craft them into a sub component then into a component and then into the final product however you can't see how the stats will be effected until you're on the second to last step. 

its extremely confusing and not very new user friendly so get ready to have those spreadsheets out and attend a few seminars to understand it enough to make what you want. (something in the tens of thousands of outputs for a single item and they think players are gonna be trusting enough to let someone else craft something for them).

The constraint system pretty much will end up forcing a player to familiarize themselves with the crafting system as each piece of equipment strains the characters frames differently and there is alot of customization possibilities to the system overall with crafting which is good but the resources/qualities used will cause headaches in alot of areas and players will be wondering why they are moving at 90% mobility when they used a high quality resource to craft the servo's that make them go faster when they were at 105% mobility before using a lower quality resource.

The crafting complexity is good don't get me wrong its quite fun to tinker with and mess around with however with permanent item breakage you will be recrafting that same piece of equipment over and over and depending on resource availability you may not be able to keep the same type of quality items to fit your build every time. (Resource shifts constantly and you may not see a certain quality in any one specific resource for months).

So again if your expecting your typical arena style combat in most MMOFPS with a beautiful vibrant open world you really won't find it here you'll be playing an action style RPG first person shooter and the only shooter quality the game will have is being able to aim like a F/TPS.

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    i hate to be contrary but what you describe actually sounds pretty interesting. ive got a betakey, i think i will check it out this weekend.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

ok i read what i could  of your OP but to be honest i hit a wall very fast

but i can say that the games is in no way a RPG its is very much a MMOFPS ass it stand currently. and while i want to enjoy the game i do agree on all your other points.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I stopped going back and will wait to see if it ever launches or just fades away.
  • outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I am a founder and really regret it.  I am a casual player and am not into spreadsheet type playing.  This is why I quit Eve.

I really thought this would be a fun game, but after playing it and looking at the changes (after I deleted the game), I am very disappointed.  I don't think this game will catch on and be a big hit.  I also screwed up with Xyson

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Tis game is big fat fail>< spend 20$ founder pack for game that has poor quest system,no info how get ammo/health in pvp. and pvp was pure zerg. 1v3. skill game my ass.
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I bought the most expensive founder package a long time ago, and regret it.

This is pretty much the game that single handedly made me stop Pre-orders. kickstarters, and founder packages.

There was so much potential, and it seemed amazing for the time i played, but once you've seen how shallow the game really is theres no going back, you will never be excited over a Nice item drop because everything is crafted which makes progression feel stale.

Besides that the end game seems to be constant Mining, thumping, just over and over, and It's really really boring.

The "Dynamic" events aren't dynamic at all, theres too few of them for any of them to feel unique, It'll be a great experience for maybe your first 3-4 days of play, after that it has absolutely no point, and seeing how long It's been in development without anything really changing, i doubt this game is going anywhere.

Can't wait to see if Open beta will change this, i sure as hell hope so.

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

This game has suffered way too many complete overhauls, and the dev team has wasted so much time it's unbelievable. I'm very glad I held off on buying a founder's pack.

It's sad, but I think this game is doomed to failure.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek

This game has suffered way too many complete overhauls, and the dev team has wasted so much time it's unbelievable. I'm very glad I held off on buying a founder's pack.

It's sad, but I think this game is doomed to failure.

this is the game that put the last nail in the coffin for me for founder programs, it taught me my lesson, cause I joined in early beta, got a founder case it had so much potential and was moveing fast then out of no where grounded to a hault. . . . .

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I got the T-shirt with my founders so I can't complain about the money I spent ( I like the shirt :P ) and I never like to write off a company that hasn't really done anything besides take too damn long to make a game.

If they ever turn this game around I'd happily go back and play again, but with some many games to play right now I wont waste anymore time on it as is.

• ChrispyChrisChrispyChris Member Posts: 27

Wow, lots of negativity. Any specific complaints about what they changed, rather than "it's not like it used to be" ? 

I'm not attacking anyone, just curious. I only got in the beta in January and it's been a pretty fun game to play so far.