Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

32-Bit Windows Problem?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

I've been having problems with the LOTRO client locking up (stops responding) on zoning.  It's been happening literally about 1/5 of the time I zone, including just going in and out of buildings in Bree.  I contacted their support and the below response is what I got.  Does this sound right?  I haven't had this problem in any of the several other MMO's I've played with this OS.

Thank you for your reply. We believe this problem is related to memory limitations in 32-bit versions of Windows, such as the one you are using. In these versions of Windows, the operating system has problems handling processes once they pass a certain size. When the LOTRO client process passes a size that windows can no longer handle stability, LOTRO crashes. Lowering video settings or disabling sound can reduce the occurrence of these crashes by causing the LOTRO client to use less memory. Other players have detailed a Windows change that allows it to handle larger processes, detailed here. Please not that these steps are not officially supported and that we cannot guarantee they will work for you.

The long term solution for this problem would be upgrading to a 64-bit version of Windows that does not have this memory limitation.

Comments

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Not to be an ass but why would you be using 32 bit Windows?
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

This has been a problem for several years now.  You can minimize this by not using high rez textures, but you can't make it go away.  I didn't try the suggested measures when I ran into this so I don't know if they work or what they will do to your system.

I would recommend upgrading to 64-bit Win7 or Win8.

+1, it's a pretty old problem and probably it won't get a fix in the future since it only affects 32-bit... which is slowly fading out. I used 32-bit XP with the high res client for years, after patches / updates the situation sometimes got better, sometimes even worse, but it was always there.

It's kinda lazy from Turbine not to fix the bug properly, I agree. But still, I guess maybe it worths considering a 64-bit switch...