Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think a high sub fee would keep out the unwanted ?

12346»

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I don't think so. Money does not separate asshats from more normal players. There are rich and poor asshats alike.

What would help would be MMOs that are designed with a specific player in mind, instead of the usual "Great for EVERYBODY!" mentality we have today. Make a game for "everyone", and "everyone" will show up.

I do not play and am making an assumption here, but I have a feeling that WURM online has fewer player problems than the usual MMO. I could be wrong. It is F2P. It is sandboxy and first person only. It is very crafting oriented. I bet there are not loads of "Fight! Fight! Fight! to end game" payers there. I could be wrong. I would guess the same for games like A Tale In the Desert.

- Want to "lock out" ePeen PvP players? Make a game without PvP.
    - Want to "lock out" end game racers? Make a game that has substance before the end game and takes a long while to get to "end game." Better yet, get rid of the usual end game activities (Raids and World PvP) and introduce other activities.
    - Want to "lock out" the crafting players? Make a game without crafting.

It is the game type that determines which players play it much more than pricing. This is why I am an advocate for creating more specific games instead of the "made for everybody" mindset the genre is currently mired in today.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,985
    Any level of subscription will keep out the unwashed, unloved F2P player. :)  Seriously, I am not sure why a high fee would be needed, 1$ a month seems to work. Also call me an eternal optimist, but I do always hope that when F2P players see what MMO's can do they will join those of us looking for bigger, more challenging, deeper MMO's. A high bar will turn potential converts away.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

I don't think so. Money does not separate asshats from more normal players. There are rich and poor asshats alike.

What would help would be MMOs that are designed with a specific player in mind, instead of the usual "Great for EVERYBODY!" mentality we have today. Make a game for "everyone", and "everyone" will show up.

I do not play and am making an assumption here, but I have a feeling that WURM online has fewer player problems than the usual MMO. I could be wrong. It is F2P. It is sandboxy and first person only. It is very crafting oriented. I bet there are not loads of "Fight! Fight! Fight! to end game" payers there. I could be wrong. I would guess the same for games like A Tale In the Desert.

- Want to "lock out" ePeen PvP players? Make a game without PvP.
    - Want to "lock out" end game racers? Make a game that has substance before the end game and takes a long while to get to "end game." Better yet, get rid of the usual end game activities (Raids and World PvP) and introduce other activities.
    - Want to "lock out" the crafting players? Make a game without crafting.

It is the game type that determines which players play it much more than pricing. This is why I am an advocate for creating more specific games instead of the "made for everybody" mindset the genre is currently mired in today.

"What would help would be MMOs that are designed with a specific player in mind..."

It would also help if the ones that are actually made for specific audiences were marketed that way. Very few do.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I don't think so. Money does not separate asshats from more normal players. There are rich and poor asshats alike.What would help would be MMOs that are designed with a specific player in mind, instead of the usual "Great for EVERYBODY!" mentality we have today. Make a game for "everyone", and "everyone" will show up.I do not play and am making an assumption here, but I have a feeling that WURM online has fewer player problems than the usual MMO. I could be wrong. It is F2P. It is sandboxy and first person only. It is very crafting oriented. I bet there are not loads of "Fight! Fight! Fight! to end game" payers there. I could be wrong. I would guess the same for games like A Tale In the Desert.- Want to "lock out" ePeen PvP players? Make a game without PvP.
    - Want to "lock out" the crafting players? Make a game without crafting.It is the game type that determines which players play it much more than pricing. This is why I am an advocate for creating more specific games instead of the "made for everybody" mindset the genre is currently mired in today.

"What would help would be MMOs that are designed with a specific player in mind..."It would also help if the ones that are actually made for specific audiences were marketed that way. Very few do.
    Good point. Thanks for the addendum :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Game design and game type is the key.  Lotro for first ~3 years of it's existence had lower % of certain players type than your average mmoprg because it was a game that was unattractive to those players.  It was "too slow", 'too boring", "not competetive enough", "no lolz" and so on - so many of those players either avoided it or quit relatively fast.

As for price.  Since niche game type would attract smaller playerbase - then I would be ready to pay MORE for that kind of game & game enviroment.  I don't expect game companies creating game type I want (borderline mainstream) and with good quality and budget and then charge me only as much as more wide-appeal game charge.

So I am ready to pay more.  Since I am not gonna play mmoprg with any microransactions then it does mean I will (have to) accept higher subscription fee.  Preety simple.

I also agree with marketting game on it's strenght and design.  That is hard choice to make for investors & game companies  since that kind of marketting basically say "our game is not for everyone and you may not like it", but it's required if niche design game is to succeed.   Game companies that have success with niche, indie or borderline mainstream games are those that understand this and act accordingly  - example Dark Souls which openly say "it's unforgiving game and you may not like it if you're not into this".

Susbciption mmorpg's if there will be any made in the future - and if they want have any chance of (relative, since it won't be WoW size success never) success i.e. would have to use those very few advantages this model have - by openly marketting "we provide you with microtransaction free game enviroment" and i.e. "while we may not be able to totally remove unofficial RMT - we will use some of your high susbciption to try to decrease their amount, inluding perm-banning you if you're BUYING gold"  and so on.

Mmorpg game companies still have to catch up to smaller game companies here. They're lagging behind. 

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

With current mmo's not even surviving 2 years before going free to play i say no, it wont hold these people out of the door.
    One of the worste players are those with cash.....so much cash they can afford to keep buying and buying and buying, be it cosmetic items or pure pay to win items.

A higher sub wont change that as daddy's Visa card has caching caching for these poor souls who will never be friendly or social.

Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Narcissists can have money too. Subs keep out the casual asshats but you can never entirely eliminate them. Add in the "everyone has bad days" factor and even the most reasonable people can get out of hand at times.
    I resemble that remark! Take it back!

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Narcissists can have money too. Subs keep out the casual asshats but you can never entirely eliminate them. Add in the "everyone has bad days" factor and even the most reasonable people can get out of hand at times.

I resemble that remark! Take it back!

Oh you punny bastard.