Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted to like this game

andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Hey there. Probably many people are in the same boat as me. I played since beta untill like december with a couple of breaks. Came back around end of january and pretty much just did dalies plus some random dungeon/fractals. But got bored and didn't come back untill THE BOX which was awesome, way more fun than playing the actual game. 

Why you ask? Well it didn't feel like a prison, yes, that is what GW2 feels like to me. A prison, you'r not supposed to be able to farm, dungeon rewards decrease if you do it more than once a day, mining nodes gets removed cause people farmed them(We all know it was more ori nodes at launch). Oh, and lets not forget the loot, this has to be the worst loot system in any game ever. 

I remember back when I played Aion and there were certain items quite alot of them that were quite expensive that would drop here and total RNG ofc. But it was a chance to get some loot that would make you'r income for the day be more than a week from just leveling. 

What do we have in GW2? Precursors with a 0.0001% drop rate and about 20-30 gold items which most are worth 0,8- 2gold and like 5 that are worth 4-9g. 

So, why would you farm events for items that you get very rarely and when you think about it, oh I could just have done CoF a few times and I would make that gold 10x faster. 

It's just the crappiest loot system I've ever experienced, "Oh I got a gold after 5 hours,  w/e it's only worth a few gold"

And lets not forget about the hidden "Anti bot " loot system, it's just funny how you get more loot the first few hours you play than the next 10. 

This whole post will probably sound like a hate thread to some, but I really wanted to like GW2, but it just feels like a prison. Thats how I feel when I play the game. it's like the game is working against me so I get frustrated enough to buy gems. 

Another very big let down is the skill system, I don't know why the even call it Guild Wars 2... This is one of the main reasons I got bored, In GW1 you had the option of making countless builds and here... you pretty much can count them on one hand. 

One more thing is the horrible optimization... I can play Far Cry 3, Crysis , BF3 all on pretty much max settings, but in GW2 even with the lowest graphics and lowest resolution I get lag spikes whenever I enter a new area/ around a corner. 

TL;DR; The game works against you whatever you want to do, bad optimization, next to zero different builds that are VIABLE. 

Comments

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Just take a step back and think to you'r self, how would this game been if it was P2P? Would there be restrictions EVERYWHERE? I don't think so, when I play a game I don't want to bump into the police whenever I do something... 

I've had lots of fun with GW2, but in time all these restrictions , lacking of build diversity and bad optimization adds up.... 

• PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by andre369

Hey there. Probably many people are in the same boat as me. I played since beta untill like december with a couple of breaks. Came back around end of january and pretty much just did dalies plus some random dungeon/fractals. But got bored and didn't come back untill THE BOX which was awesome, way more fun than playing the actual game. 

Why you ask? Well it didn't feel like a prison, yes, that is what GW2 feels like to me. A prison, you'r not supposed to be able to farm, dungeon rewards decrease if you do it more than once a day, mining nodes gets removed cause people farmed them(We all know it was more ori nodes at launch). Oh, and lets not forget the loot, this has to be the worst loot system in any game ever. 

I remember back when I played Aion and there were certain items quite alot of them that were quite expensive that would drop here and total RNG ofc. But it was a chance to get some loot that would make you'r income for the day be more than a week from just leveling. 

What do we have in GW2? Precursors with a 0.0001% drop rate and about 20-30 gold items which most are worth 0,8- 2gold and like 5 that are worth 4-9g. 

So, why would you farm events for items that you get very rarely and when you think about it, oh I could just have done CoF a few times and I would make that gold 10x faster. 

It's just the crappiest loot system I've ever experienced, "Oh I got a gold after 5 hours,  w/e it's only worth a few gold"

And lets not forget about the hidden "Anti bot " loot system, it's just funny how you get more loot the first few hours you play than the next 10. 

This whole post will probably sound like a hate thread to some, but I really wanted to like GW2, but it just feels like a prison. Thats how I feel when I play the game. it's like the game is working against me so I get frustrated enough to buy gems. 

Another very big let down is the skill system, I don't know why the even call it Guild Wars 2... This is one of the main reasons I got bored, In GW1 you had the option of making countless builds and here... you pretty much can count them on one hand. 

One more thing is the horrible optimization... I can play Far Cry 3, Crysis , BF3 all on pretty much max settings, but in GW2 even with the lowest graphics and lowest resolution I get lag spikes whenever I enter a new area/ around a corner. 

TL;DR; The game works against you whatever you want to do, bad optimization, next to zero different builds that are VIABLE. 

I agree 150% with everything you have stated here.  Additionally, the company that makes the game, ArenaNet has no integrity in the gaming industry.  I would not recommend anyone play any of their games either now nor in the future.  The company gladly takes your money for a game which lacks end game content.  They work on content yet don't have anything but the bare minimum in their game.  It's like playing Diablo 3 except with a bunch of players around you.  They push hard on advertising telling everyone they have no subscription yet publish new items for players to purchase from their gem store.  

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Epic1oots
    I thought this was the game!!! But for me it was a disappointment too. I go back on once in awhile to see whats happening, its free. And theres still many players, so kudos to them. Its not a bad game, but it just not my type of game. Wish beta told me that. I reallly wanted to like the game!!! Maybe I had too high expectations.

I think due to its massive over hyping,everyone's expectations were aimed too high.

• IntheShadowsIntheShadows Member Posts: 58
    OP, I completely agree with everything you said and I don't think I could say it better myself. I keep taking breaks and trying to get back into it, but my interest slowly evaporates every time until I stop logging in again. It's sad because I really WANT to like it.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I was pulled into GW2 for the WvW part.
    Played over a 1000 hours so i got my money spend out of it.
    After that the game dint receive the updates needed to keep me playing.
    I miss healers and the WvW feels so arcade :(
    Free server tranfers destroyed most community's.
    It was insanely fun while it lasted for me tough ^^
    But it has zero staying power.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

swear this should be in the review section just like the one that gushed the game.

Any way cool opinion, I still enjoy and am having fun with the game, no restrictions here, guess it's how I play I never make myself feel restricted by a game, cause I usually take advantage of the choices provided, shall not elaborate though. Cuas ethe choices are obvious(only to be countered by a smart ass saying, pay or not pay at all), I just play with no needs or worries to pay, and get what many worry about by well play, and I'm super casual.

Eh well it's just life being what it is.

P2P restricts you from playing if you do not pay the 15 that isn't [needed], screw the bullshit, thanks and peace.(There is so much wrong with this statement I don't know where to begin, first it is needed to get content out, then we won't have skins in boxes, we just pay 15 dollars and get everything just by playing without PAYING a DAMN thing)

Yea got your counters.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I was pulled into GW2 for the WvW part.
    Played over a 1000 hours so i got my money spend out of it.
    After that the game dint receive the updates needed to keep me playing.
    I miss healers and the WvW feels so arcade :(
    Free server tranfers destroyed most community's.
    It was insanely fun while it lasted for me tough ^^
    But it has zero staying power.

I had the exact same experience. I can tell you were there at launch, bought into the E-Sport aspect like I did, were super involved in WvW...which the communities pretty much had to hype themselves, and use outside forums and dedicated sites just to hype the matches and get people involved. The player community was ranking servers before Anet was. By the time they closed the free server transfers (players were begging them to cut off transfers to high pop servers so people couldn't transfer just to coattail winning servers). For competitive players, the lack of the trinity just lead to mindless mechanics and lack of strategy in group crafting. Healers and tanks and other party roles are needed for strategic gameplay. I too had a ton of fun for a few month in WvW, but found nothing else in the game worth playing, and I've returned twice sense just to find myself bored to tears. 

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Sounds like you got a decent amount of playtime out of it.

The biggest downfall is that they thought they could get away with not releasing an expansion. GW1 pumped out a lot of varied content within the first few years, which made it solid. This game just needs more of everything.

And yeah, personally I would prefer they reintroduce a soft trinity. Bring back monks and ritualists in the expansion.

Originally posted by evilastro

Sounds like you got a decent amount of playtime out of it.

The biggest downfall is that they thought they could get away with not releasing an expansion. GW1 pumped out a lot of varied content within the first few years, which made it solid. This game just needs more of everything.

And yeah, personally I would prefer they reintroduce a soft trinity. Bring back monks and ritualists in the expansion.

I played UO, EQ, DAoC and LOTRO for years at a time...3 months isn't enough for a MMORPG IMO. I put more time into Skyrim than GW2, and I was in a competitive alliance in GW2.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

About nodes other players have ruined this thats why dev team have change this blame the farmbots not arenanet.

Same for farmbot partys endlessly repeating instance grind grind grind also players fault not arenanet.

I agree on loot its terible but also bit own fault players if you guys grind dungeon so much like fractals its obvious the loot in opemworld dont realy matter plus devs gonne concentrade more in making grind instance thats what you all want.

Ive also played sinds beta weekends and i quit end of december becouse i was so dissapointed how game developed into a instance treadmill grind game and dynamic events in my eyes failed completely also partly fault player base.

WvWvW prolly have changed now but at time i was playing it failed of the guildhoppers who every week hoping to server that wins.

Im done with GW2 pitty i realy liked the grapgics and the beautiful world to explore but i was always alone 99% of time try killing champions alone nobody around let alone world bosses who never where touch after first month was passed.

Now im not even slighest interested anymore in GW2.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

That's what Anet is aiming for, for players to get  frustrated and say "fck it" I'll just by gems.  I think some people would cry with the amount of money some of the players in GW2 have spent on gems.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

Well, OP, you might feel like in a prison because you are used to locked up grind play which Gw2 tries so hard to get away from just to get covered with shit. DR system in dungeons specifically punishes you per path/per dungeon, not 1 path/all dungeons. I don't know why it is so hard for you to maybe i dont know, pick another path or loool God forbid another dungeon D: You said it yourself, you've farmed. Go to a farm if you want to do that, Gw2 tries to break that for you as well. Yes Ori ore is the rarest crafting material and of course the most needed one but the idea is to make you play and do stuff around the map not just camp the rich ori veins. I don't see what's wrong with the loot system ... you get shit drops from mobs in any other MMO unless its a full-loot sandbox, like EvE. Yeah I suppose dungeons are not as rewarding as one might expect but hey, you can get rare items from a mob around the world, which is cool because you are not locked into farming in 1 single area, like 10 guys lining up for 1 mob hoping it would drop the precious pixels, i mean item. 

You are supposed to group up with other players and tackle dungeons and world event, not waiting to be asked personally for party as if you were the queen of England.

To avoid the "Anti-Bot" system, just change your zone o.o" 

You are right for the performance. If you have CrossfireX or SLI I suggest you turning them off while playing, I actually got almost double FPS boost just by doing that xD

About the viable builds thing you are wrong. Seen all kinds of players. Even tank warriors, go figure 

P.S: Never bought gems. Got every top gear and a dungeon master achievement before Arah got nerfed to hell because of crybabies :) 

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

About nodes other players have ruined this thats why dev team have change this blame the farmbots not arenanet.

Same for farmbot partys endlessly repeating instance grind grind grind also players fault not arenanet.

I agree on loot its terible but also bit own fault players if you guys grind dungeon so much like fractals its obvious the loot in opemworld dont realy matter plus devs gonne concentrade more in making grind instance thats what you all want.

Ive also played sinds beta weekends and i quit end of december becouse i was so dissapointed how game developed into a instance treadmill grind game and dynamic events in my eyes failed completely also partly fault player base.

WvWvW prolly have changed now but at time i was playing it failed of the guildhoppers who every week hoping to server that wins.

Im done with GW2 pitty i realy liked the grapgics and the beautiful world to explore but i was always alone 99% of time try killing champions alone nobody around let alone world bosses who never where touch after first month was passed.

Now im not even slighest interested anymore in GW2.

You can't blame players, players farm plenty in other MMO's without the devs constantly nerfing drops and nodes, its done for the reasons as I have said in my previous post.  Farming is a natural thing to do for some players, other players don't care for farming.  Nerfing drop rates increases rarity of items, which pushes the price of items up, which effects the price of gems, players then will buy gems with real money because it works out more expensive to buy with gold.  GW2 aside from the pvp aspect is nothing more than an economics game at the end of the day.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    I myself don't know of a game that people doesn't use the same 3 builds everyone else uses with a class, except guild wars. No matter what people will find the top builds and use them like everyone else. Not sure how long it took guild wars to get balanced, but all them builds weren't there at the start. Guild Wars 2 probably won't have the build variety Guild Wars does since you earn only certain ones. I'm glad I didn't have to try to like this game, cause it's great imo death to gear treadmills! 
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Skill system for me is a huge weak point at the moment. 

A few ideas I threw around were viable options like 

• Elite slot being capable of putting in any skill
    • More categories of utility skills - global things like enchantment / hex
    • Extra skills on existing weapons
    • More interesting universal elite skills 
    I mean I can obviously understand the problem with making the elite slot capable of using any utility skill (heals excluded)

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    So is EvE (economics game), I don't see anyone complaining about it. This is because this model is nice. Playing a market is invaluable skill in any game that has open trading market. 
  • BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    It's funny how people think that endlessly farming the same raids over and over is a meaningful end game.
    Originally posted by Blindchance
    It's funny how people think that endlessly farming the same raids over and over is a meaningful end game.

Different strokes for different people, some players like what GW2 is others like the raiding, no more meaningless than whats on offer in GW2.

But somehow the dungeons in GW2 that people farm are different? Other than the fact that you get shit for rewards, there's no class roles or strategy, and there's far fewer options than most other games on the market. You're right...it wasn't a meaningful end game...that's why people quit.

Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    So is EvE (economics game), I don't see anyone complaining about it. This is because this model is nice. Playing a market is invaluable skill in any game that has open trading market. 

Eve is a whole different ball game compared to GW2 though, those 2 games really shouldn't be said in the same sentence.

Ok, so if you aren't running dungeons then what the hell is there to do in GW2 at end game? Oh yeah, nothing!
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by wordiz
    Ok, so if you aren't running dungeons then what the hell is there to do in GW2 at end game? Oh yeah, nothing!

I've been playing since release and I've found plenty of things to do. 

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by wordiz

But somehow the dungeons in GW2 that people farm are different? Other than the fact that you get shit for rewards, there's no class roles or strategy, and there's far fewer options than most other games on the market. You're right...it wasn't a meaningful end game...that's why people quit.

Of course they're no different, but in your other game you have no choice but to farm Raid#1 or else you can't get inside Raid#2. In GW2 I can walk into Fractals without ever running AC up to Arah. The meaningfulness lies in that I can go into whichever dungeon I want at no required order.

If you highly value gear rewards from dungeons then you definitely won't find any meaning in this game.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

I enjoy GW2, I admit I have taken breaks from it too, but I always come back to it.

Because the core gameplay just doesnt compare to anything else out on the market.

Now when I pick up another game and it doesn't do what GW2 does, I always think "Why not?!" Why is it so hard for companies to have such basic ideas such as compact inventory space, or a nice simplistic UI which doesnt clutter the playing space?

There are so many things that GW2 does right, and some that it does not. It's like that for most games, especially ones in the MMO Genre.

So I'm sorry you dont like GW2, but I do, and if that makes you angry... then you are a very sad individual indeed.

Good luck, and I hope you find a game you enjoy.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's a mixed bag

The outdoor pve is great, especially at end game where it feels like a return to older games like early EQ (and daoc) before it got obsessed with gear.

The spvp , although not my thing at all, is good too, probably only gw1 did it better, maybe war once they got the balance sorted out.

The crafting, while nothing spectacular, is still a massive improvement over your typical wow style crafting. At least the stuff you craft is useful, it encourages experimentation and also the cooking Is fun.

The dungeons, well I guess they don't work really, they do feel a bit spammy, but then instanced dungeons ain't my thing either.

The WvW which was the main draw for me, I found massively disappointing, its not a patch on daoc frontiers or planetside, even war did a simmilar thing better imo. I think the main problem is they use the same rules for spvp as for WvW, downed state is fine for spvp, but its a huge clusterf*ck in WvW. Also your supposed to be able to level in WvW, but that's nigh impossible, its a big gold sink while leveling, your either forced to pve for cash or use the cash shop.