Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wish there where more "Turn Based" mmorpg's

SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I've always found Turn based mmorpg's enjoyable because a large part of MMO's is the community to me.

During turn based games, everyone has a chance to throw a line in chat here and there, and the general community in these games often seems nicer to me then other MMO's where people rush through the content without a care for another living being in this world.

It's my opinion in general that MMO communities have been suffering, and i don't mean this in the sense of Guilds, friends playing together, i mean the general community of random people walking around, interacting, it just barely seems to happen anymore.

Too bad theres so few of them, the only ones i can think of off the top of my head are Myth war 2, Dofus, Atlantica online and Wakfu.

Myth war is just crappy, dofus i played so much I'm just burned out and while wakfu was a breath of fresh air, It was to similar to keep me hooked for very long, and atlantica online is just a pathetic Cash shop cash grab, a shame, because until you're faced with that It's a truly enjoyable game.

Is there anyone else who would like to see more Turn based MMO's? and on a side note, does anyone know of any i might not know of?

Comments

• AccountDeleted12341AccountDeleted12341 Member Posts: 351

I would definitely like to see more turn based MMORPG's.

The more turn based games, the more chance of innovation, improvement, and new implementations of fun.

Regardless of what stupid people or impatient child or man-childs may claim, the combat system speed is irrelevant of fun. So is the game design, [x] feature, [x] style of gameplay, or anything at all, ever.

There are video games that are fun, because they are fun. Anything can be fun when done right, and anything can be boring or stupid when done wrong.

So yes, I'd love to see more turn based MMORPG's. Personally, I'd love to see less boring ones, and more fun ones. I have played plenty of fun turn based games, many more (just bc they are more common) realtime games, and a good portion of innovative gameplay that is a mix of realtime and turn based.

I believe that Baldurs Gate allowed players to pick Turn Based, Realtime, or Realtime + Self Pause.

What happened is the pause option. You could turn pausing off (real time), you could turn pausing on (realtime + self pause), or you could make it automatically pause every 6 seconds (a single combat round). So the encounter starts paused, you do your actions, unpause, and the characters do a single round that includes one action (6 seconds worth), and it pauses again. Ingenius for a singleplayer game.

I'd personally love to see a Cyberpunk MMORPG that is turn based, where combat is extremely lethal. This way combat ends in only a few rounds, but the decisions you make are incredibly important.

I also have a personal design for turn based, where turns do not take place one character at a time, but all at once after players choose what they want their characters to do, and their characters act on their own based on the commands in an incredibly animated story-like fashion with AI that includes their personality types.

• fldashfldash Member UncommonPosts: 227

+1. Atlantica is the best atm and it's a grindy, cashshop mess. Wakfu also is grindy. I would love to see a proper Western turn-based MMO.

Former xFire user... I only wanted a game tracker and messenger, not a screenshot taker, video recording, broadcasting piece of bloatware.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I'm fond of turn based RPGs which is why I'm looking forward to kickstarter projects like Wasteland 2 etc.

and I had fun with Atlantica Online as a turn based MMORPG for awhile till the cash shop wall hit.Though I ahte to see a MMORPG using turn based combat in large scale PvP or PvE raids with 20+ people.That would be tedious.

• AccountDeleted12341AccountDeleted12341 Member Posts: 351

Wasn't rubies of eventide a turn based game?

I am sorry, but I cannot stop laughing at Rubies of Eventide's owner and management (who are probably the same person, one guy). I just went over the the forum here for the game, and found some hilarious threads.

This total lack of professionalism is hilarious. I've read some good stories about the owner banning people bc he didn't like them (ruined his own game, so it's his own anti-social control-freak fault for trying to make a MMO when he obviously only wanted a coop game with his friends) but THIS takes the cake for hilarity.

I don't tend to laugh at people, it's quite rare actually. But things like this? Oh god...lmao...

* Personal Attacks: The owners and management of Rubies have no intention of supporting a game where they are attacked on an on-going basis by various groups. It's one thing to support a game, both financially and emotionally, when you feel as though you are doing something good for the player base; however when morale is brought to such a low level by continued libel and slander there is no incentive to continue.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Originally posted by Drakynn

I'm fond of turn based RPGs which is why I'm looking forward to kickstarter projects like Wasteland 2 etc.

and I had fun with Atlantica Online as a turn based MMORPG for awhile till the cash shop wall hit.Though I ahte to see a MMORPG using turn based combat in large scale PvP or PvE raids with 20+ people.That would be tedious.

This could easily be solved in a Semi-turn based RPG utilizing something like an energy bar/timer bar that decides when you get to attack again.

That was probably a dreadful explanation.. And it wouldn't quite be turn based anymore, but to a large extend would play the same.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by Disatisfied9

I am sorry, but I cannot stop laughing at Rubies of Eventide's owner and management (who are probably the same person, one guy). I just went over the the forum here for the game, and found some hilarious threads.

Rubies of Eventide wasn't turn based and had the standard point/click MMORPG combat.  It's also no surprise that the game shut down in 2009.

Anyway, I'd like to see more turn based MMO's and just turn based games in general for PC.  It's pretty rare to see turn based games released for anything except the handheld systems.  There are quite a few turn based MMORPG's released in other countries like Japan and Korea though.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Originally posted by Ujirik
    Originally posted by Disatisfied9

Rubies of Eventide wasn't turn based and had the standard point/click MMORPG combat.  It's also no surprise that the game shut down in 2009.

Anyway, I'd like to see more turn based MMO's and just turn based games in general for PC.  It's pretty rare to see turn based games released for anything except the handheld systems.  There are quite a few turn based MMORPG's released in other countries like Japan and Korea though.

My biggest disappointment was probably realizing the final fantasy MMO's did not have turn based combat, i didn't even like final fantasy but my excitement was through the roof to get it in MMO version on PC.

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    The sad part is a lot of MMO entries are just cheap cash grabs and poorly executed or delivered.

I would enjoy. Some turn based or active time battle games myself, focusing more on picking moves at a slower pace but with more complexity allows for different kinds of encounters, and would work fine in a setting where players operated multiple units simultaneously.

I think FFXII and FFXIII did a good job of showcasing active and programmable actions in a way which was engaging and operable in an open setting. Sadly they didn't bring it to their own MMOs...

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

No. I don't want to wait for the other guy (or guys) to make their move.

I love turned-based strategy or SRPG .. but strictly single player.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

As long as both players are on a timer you're usually only waiting a few seconds.

Atlantica Online revived my interest in turn based RPG's.  It's the only F2P game that held my interest past the first couple days.  It's too bad that it's so blatantly pay to win.

Maybe one day SE will decide to make a Final Fantasy Tactics mmorpg.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by dave6660

As long as both players are on a timer you're usually only waiting a few seconds.

Atlantica Online revived my interest in turn based RPG's.  It's the only F2P game that held my interest past the first couple days.  It's too bad that it's so blatantly pay to win.

If the game is strategically deep, a few seconds is not enough to make a good decision. So i don't want myself (and others) to be constrained. If the game is not deep, and have few strategic options, then i would much rather play another game.

It is a no-win.

Plus, if the game has a few players, then even 10 sec (not a long time) per players can add up.

Personally i don't see how such a game can be fun for me. I would much rather stick to SP turn base games.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Definitely would enjoy seeing some more companies take a stab at this.  RPGs have historically had some great synergy with turn-based gameplay, due to their stats progression and twitch-lite (or no-twitch) focus.

Although others have brought up good points about how there haven't really been muliplayer RPGs that have done this particularly well (making a multiplayer turn-based strategy game is hard enough.  A massively multiplayer one doesn't really capitalize on any additional strengths.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I love turn based MMOs.

Too bad there are so few around. I'd especially love if someone managed to do Wizard 101 -style combat in a game that's not aimed for kids.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Simply having turn-based minigames where the consequences of decisions play out more slowly (over minutes or days) provides a whole different arena of socialization.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Pre-CU SWG was turn base combat. It was timed and you could que up attacks in advance. I loved it!
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

If the game is strategically deep, a few seconds is not enough to make a good decision. So i don't want myself (and others) to be constrained. If the game is not deep, and have few strategic options, then i would much rather play another game.

It is a no-win.

Plus, if the game has a few players, then even 10 sec (not a long time) per players can add up.

Personally i don't see how such a game can be fun for me. I would much rather stick to SP turn base games.

It's possible to avoid the time adding up by giving everyone their turns simultaneously. The game can be built so that during turns game is paused, and nothing happens, players only give commands. Then after turn ends game gets unpaused, and every player's character follows commands given on previous turn. And at the beginning of next turn game gets paused again so that there's plenty of time to think your actions. Because everyone gives his commands at the same time, the waiting involved won't be a problem no matter how many players there are in a single battle.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Sorry no. The reason being it is based on a dice roll (basically what it is) so no, I would rather use my skill to react than base it on luck of the dice roll.

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Sorry no. The reason being it is based on a dice roll (basically what it is) so no, I would rather use my skill to react than base it on luck of the dice roll.

I have to disagree, dice roles doesnt mean if its Turn Base or not. Attacking someone even in real time is based on diceroll, will you crit, will you not, will it dodge, will it be blocked etc..

Like most said, if it works as an energy bar it can be fun, you do not have to wait for others to do their move but you could sometime wait a bit more to counter-act someone. It's something that could be really fun to play

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Turn Based MMOs? Ewwwww.
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by botrytis

I assume you talking about a specific game rather than turn-based play in general?  Because ... chess.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I agree.  I'm disappointed that Wakfu didn't end up being more successful. 
  • BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Simultaneous and timed turns are both working ways to reduce wait time, I prefer ATB but I think simultaneous turns offer an added measure of prediction, as certain actions can be done to counteract or combine actions as their acting.

I personally prefer ATB, with a complex and detailed system though, FFXII did a good job of showing programmable moves as a way to reduce tedium, while additional input could be done to adjust tactics and make clutch plays.

Beyond that, with timed turns, using a build up system so certain moves can be empowered or accessed once you withhold a turn can ensure that missed turns are not completely forfeit, and also has tactical use.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    I would love a turn-based game having grown up with Final Fantasy (1 and up) and DragonQuest. But to be honest I feel the era is dead and the new 'thing' today is twitchy shallow action and then called an RPG. Kids today arent old enough to remember or appreciate the past and companies today are laser focused on profits to invest in a niche market. Not saying it cant happen but dont have high confidence.

Hell, I never understood why ChronoTrigger combat mechanics were NEVER duplicated. That was a fun mix of action and turn-based goodness.

To get my fix Im playing the Kemco RPGs for android. Not as good as the 16bit legends but good enough.

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282

Yeah, its a shame theres very few turn based mmorpgs, I too have played dofus, wakfu, atlantis, while they are good. none really follow a western RPG approach, & plenty of single player turn based games are nice but can only last so long, what would be cool is a mmo similar to "Betrayal at krondor", man that brings back memories.

Keep an eye on my thread here http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/379479/MMOSRPG-concept.html , it may not be the Turn based RPG you guys are looking for, but you may find it fun, the client alpha/sim should be done in about a month or 2, so once its ready I'll be looking for some testers.

Originally posted by Vrika

It is a no-win.

It's possible to avoid the time adding up by giving everyone their turns simultaneously. The game can be built so that during turns game is paused, and nothing happens, players only give commands. Then after turn ends game gets unpaused, and every player's character follows commands given on previous turn. And at the beginning of next turn game gets paused again so that there's plenty of time to think your actions. Because everyone gives his commands at the same time, the waiting involved won't be a problem no matter how many players there are in a single battle.

This does help but the game moves at the slowest player.

And of course it eliminates the alternate turn type of gameplay, which offers different types of strategic considerations.