Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did I miss something?

grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

I never quite got into this game but it seems to have a big enough user base, which leads me to ask .. 'Did i miss something?' It jus seemed like a gruesome grindfest with some ok graphics and scary music. My brother got further than me in the game and came to the same conclusion. Its free now so i welcome anyone who wants to argue my free-time allocation for the next few months :P

--
Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

Comments

• moleculemolecule Member Posts: 48

Gimme a break man. You expect us to read your signature and then try to convince you that any MMO is good? It looks to me like you don't care for the genre at all.

Stop wasting your time and stop playing MMOs.

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

lol, I didn't even notice the sig at first, but it explains alot. Alot of people keep complaining about the grind that is found within many MMO's well, that is in a sort, part of the game. The games are made to be played for months and months if not years, not to be passed within a week. This brings me to the point that, I've read your other posts and it looks to me that you've only ever played trials, never actualy immersed yourself into a game. Lack of imagination and social skills, something that seems to be more and more common in today's youth. For some reason also skills found in most players of Counter-Strike ? *snicker*

Anyways, instead of looking for the "perfect game" (believe me, the term is so subjective that it can't be defined), why don't you actualy try getting into one (yeah spend more than a week playing a game ... oooo ... scary). Anarchy Online, which I played for several months is a good start in the world of MMO's. Now a days, myself, I do not play games which require you to spend hours everyday for months on end to reach max level, but rather incorporate diverse elements in which you can expand the experience of the game. Or in other words, got lots of stuff to do and there isn't a per say "max level". However, in order to do new things in games, you still have to expect to put some effort into it, or work if you prefer that term better.

This is where I think alot of people are turned off by the MMO genre, you wanna play a game that gives you everything it has to offer without putting any effort or thought into it. Well, keep playing your single and multi player games, because your never going to understand what hundreds of thousands of people already know. That is, the thrill of playing a game where the outcome of events are not based entirely on your actions but those of everyone who play it. Your mastering of a game is not necessiraly how high level you can get and what kind of weapon your character can equip but how well you can negociate and forming allies who are not programed but are looking to make decisions quite like yourself. Some titles go as profoundly as having consequences linked to almost all actions taken by a single person or group of people and having player controlled governments and markets which just add brilliantly to their depth.

That argument is based simply on MMO's being a shorter way of writing MMORPG, last three letters (most important ones) are "R"ole "P"laying "G"ame. Play a role, invest some time and effort into it and stop blasting games on public forums where people who are genuinely interested in it come for information and remember it is a game, so don't take it personaly and enjoy yourself.

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

• ForeverDawnForeverDawn Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by dakilla666

lol, I didn't even notice the sig at first, but it explains alot. Alot of people keep complaining about the grind that is found within many MMO's well, that is in a sort, part of the game. The games are made to be played for months and months if not years, not to be passed within a week. This brings me to the point that, I've read your other posts and it looks to me that you've only ever played trials, never actualy immersed yourself into a game. Lack of imagination and social skills, something that seems to be more and more common in today's youth. For some reason also skills found in most players of Counter-Strike ? *snicker*
    Anyways, instead of looking for the "perfect game" (believe me, the term is so subjective that it can't be defined), why don't you actualy try getting into one (yeah spend more than a week playing a game ... oooo ... scary). Anarchy Online, which I played for several months is a good start in the world of MMO's. Now a days, myself, I do not play games which require you to spend hours everyday for months on end to reach max level, but rather incorporate diverse elements in which you can expand the experience of the game. Or in other words, got lots of stuff to do and there isn't a per say "max level". However, in order to do new things in games, you still have to expect to put some effort into it, or work if you prefer that term better.
    This is where I think alot of people are turned off by the MMO genre, you wanna play a game that gives you everything it has to offer without putting any effort or thought into it. Well, keep playing your single and multi player games, because your never going to understand what hundreds of thousands of people already know. That is, the thrill of playing a game where the outcome of events are not based entirely on your actions but those of everyone who play it. Your mastering of a game is not necessiraly how high level you can get and what kind of weapon your character can equip but how well you can negociate and forming allies who are not programed but are looking to make decisions quite like yourself. Some titles go as profoundly as having consequences linked to almost all actions taken by a single person or group of people and having player controlled governments and markets which just add brilliantly to their depth.
    That argument is based simply on MMO's being a shorter way of writing MMORPG, last three letters (most important ones) are "R"ole "P"laying "G"ame. Play a role, invest some time and effort into it and stop blasting games on public forums where people who are genuinely interested in it come for information and remember it is a game, so don't take it personaly and enjoy yourself.

He is right you know, there is no "perfect game" every single game out there, MMO or not, has numerous flaws.  That is why they patch, to make the game better, and to fix minor bugs and stuff.  But, if you are an Anarchy Online hater, then all I have to say to is, STOP DISSING AO, JUST ASK FOR A FREAKING FORUM WHERE YOU CAN DISS AO ALL YOU WANT, personally, I hold no respect for anyone who does not like AO, whether from a minor bug, or just they didnt play it long enough.  But, I respect your opinion, and also, I'd like to take some time to suggest another free game, f2p forever. It is called Conquer, I discovered it through Malakivan's sticky of free MMO's its only 500mbs, and really fun to play, 4 classes and 2 sub classes in one of the classes.  Taoist (fire and water) Trojan, Warrior, and Archer.  It is a fun game, try it out, you may like it despite the graphics, which arent that bad after you get used to them in like a day or two.  I am a person who tries a game for a month or so to decide if I like it or not.  I love AO, I rarely get to play anymore because I have so much shcoolwork, but when I get the chance to play either Conquer or AO, I to as much as I can it the little amount of time I get, and believe me, I do a lot.  If you want more of my opinions on AO, just look at my other posts in the whole little section of the site dedicated to AO, I have many.  Now, for Conquer, I shall give you a little exercpt from the site itself.

So you just entered CO for the first time? Or perhaps you are waiting for the client to be downloaded.

First of all, welcome to the game.

Here is what you should do to become successful.

The first 6 steps:

1. READ THE WEBSITE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN.

I cannot say this enough. READ, learn what you are getting into, yes it may seem exciting at first, but unless you are a VERY quick learner (and by that I mean, you can learn the interface of a Sim City game in 5 minutes), then you should read the site. You will save yourself a lot of hassle trying to figure out what everything does.

2. Choose a newer server

Generally, you should choose a newer server as they will be more friendly. Servers like Dragon and Eagle are just plain evil and newbies find it VERY difficult there with the hostility. Servers like Ruby or Sapphire are new and generally easist for new players for now. A while on from this guide it’ll be packed with higher level players. So pick the newest server you can that isn’t split (read the news).

3. Pick a MELEE Class FIRST

Warrior and Trojan are excellent first timer classes, since they allow you to get used to combat without an ultra high risk of being killed up close. Plus, Learning to equip skills can be daunting for those who don’t follow step 1 (Taoists) and it can be expensive for a newbie who doesn’t have a reasonably wealthy main to kick start them (archer). Yes, a melee is excellent for a first timer.

4. Turn your PK mode OFF instantly.

If you followed step one, you may have spotted this. If not (or you didn’t find this bit of info) Click ’PK’ on your button bar, and then click peace. You’ll thank me later ;)

5. Get comfy with the UI and controls.

Take some time to get used to the UI and how to control your character. Once you feel reasonably good with the controls. Continue. If you wish, customize your UI a bit, like changing resolution (I recommend turning names on).

6. Start playing.

Ok now it is time to play. See that little scroll with a question mark on it? Use it as your guide to deciding what do you, what equipment to use, when to upgrade it, and what quests to consider doing.

Once you got to grips with a game, feel free to try the other classes.

Now that’s out of the way, a few pointers (Really just peeves of mine, but I’m sure alot of players will agree with me here).

Don’t Kill Steal

It may seem tempting to start kill stealing after seeing all those high level archers showing off with scatter and killing your pheasants or whatever. Don’t get sucked into it. Just kill what you can and break away from prime scattering archer zones (The Poltergeists are the worst for this. Respecting another’s kills will earn you a little respect. IF you kill something and a good drop falls (a lot of gold or what), LEAVE IT for the person you kill stole. They will see you didn’t mean it and remember your name. It works nicely in the later levels.

Don’t get power leveled on your first try

This is probably a lost cause, but I’ll try anyway. DON’T GET POWER LEVELED. Level up on your own, it may seem slow, but you’ll be starting your amassing of wealth. Getting Meteors, magic gear (which may further power up your character), and silvers. It all adds up. Do not get power leveled. Plus it also gives you a feeling of accomplishment when you are say........wielding elite weapons wearing elite armor ;).

Type properly

I don’t care if you think "it’s faster", 0.60 seconds is not important for you to sacrifice to type out a full word. Using that idiotic mobile phone speak, or more known as AOL speak. Is by far the biggest sign that you aren’t worth anyone’s time. Type proper full words, it makes you seem like you aren’t some idiotic teenager. People who use mobile phones speak tend to get shoved aside when asking for power levels.

NOTE: Using abbreviations for certain long winded terms does NOT come under idiotic speak. Sometimes it’s easier to fit into the box. Examples of which are things like Backsword, Dragonballs. I’ll explain them later.

Don’t annoy anyone.

Exactly what it says. If you read this far, I assume you know what annoys people. Things like spamming, item camping, kill stealing blah blah blah, you get the idea.

Don’t PK miners

You do it and you’ll be head hunted as you WILL kill a high level player’s miner. No, you WILL kill one, and you WILL get owned for it.

Don’t join a guild early

Bad idea for level 50 or lower I’d say. Some guilds are just Kill on Sight (KoS) to other guilds. The enemy members won’t care about you, as long as you dead. Stay safe and neutral and you can level up in peace.

Learn the market

Hang out in the market for a while and see how you can easily get magic equipment to better your character......for a price. Don’t TOUT UP PRICES WHEN YOU SELL. Inflation is bad enough, try to set an example and not raise prices. Meteors used to cost 20k on sapphire you know, now they are 60k+

Don’t harass people to marry

Marriage is not something you MUST do just because you belive in the commandments of The Sims. Players of your opposite gender are here to play too. Don’t harass them or you’ll end up getting a serious whooping, off their spouse most likely. Also while I am here, don’t fall into getting married off anyone who appears out of the blue. It costs a meteor TEAR to get divorced, and it isn’t pretty to pony out for one. Not to mention, I think your spouse can raid you house’s item chest. Only marry those you trust/have become attached to.

Phew, Finally a few terms you might run into outside of your normal MMORPG

bs = Backsword
    db = Dragon Ball
    met = Meteor
    ref = refined
    uni = unique
    socket = A socket on a weapon (Diablo 2 players will know this)
    tc = twin city
    dc = desert city
    pc = phoenix castle
    ac = ape city
    (you get the idea of locations)
    tg = training ground

That’s enough for me I think, I’m not going to explain how to identify good drops, if you followed step 1 before, you’ll know already, and good on you :)

I’m Sarevok on Sapphire Server, I expect you won’t bother me ;)

Have Fun!

This was posted by a player, for players to use, it has an ok community, not as good as AO mind you, but good overall.  So good luck, have fun, and NO MORE DISSING AO OR I WILL HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC MEASURES, LIKE POSTING RUMORS ABOUT YOU THAT ARE LIES AND UNTRUTHS SO I CAN TAKE AWAY YOUR CREDIBILTY, no, just kidding, I wouldnt do that, but seriously, if you want to diss AO, e-mail me about why you dont like it, because at this moment, from reading and re-reading your post, Grimjoj or whatever your name is image, I really dont gain any understanding of why you dont give AO a longer chance to win you over.  Ok, remember what I said, and may the force be with you momentarily

ForeverDawn (FD for short)-agent

Gwynidon (Gwyn for short)-engineer

"I dont know where, I dont know when, but something bad is going to happen"

"Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young."

• RavenmgsRavenmgs Member Posts: 155

I will save you the trouble. AO used to kick ass but after the “shadow lands”, it’s nothing but a nasty EverQuest1 clone with a minor sci-fi spin. On top of the game it’s self being horrible, the people are even worse, the game’s social structure plays like 90210 online.

I personally don’t play MMORPGS any more because honestly, after AO shot it’s self in the leg with Shadow Lands, I haven’t found a fun mmorpg. AO used to provide fresh and exciting situations and loads of originality. It’s all the same crap being recycled.

1. Kill rats out side your home town, or some substitute
    2. Grind off MOB camps
    3. Camp / Raid large Mobs at high levels.

Even in games like EQ2 where there are a fare amount of quest, the story line falls compleetly apart once you reach mid level along with any non-grinding based ways to get XP.

• magik_fxmagik_fx Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 278

Originally posted by Ravenmgs
    I will save you the trouble. AO used to kick ass but after the “shadow lands”, it’s nothing but a nasty EverQuest1 clone with a minor sci-fi spin. On top of the game it’s self being horrible, the people are even worse, the game’s social structure plays like 90210 online. I personally don’t play MMORPGS any more because honestly, after AO shot it’s self in the leg with Shadow Lands, I haven’t found a fun mmorpg. AO used to provide fresh and exciting situations and loads of originality. It’s all the same crap being recycled. 1. Kill rats out side your home town, or some substitute
    2. Grind off MOB camps
    3. Camp / Raid large Mobs at high levels. Even in games like EQ2 where there are a fare amount of quest, the story line falls compleetly apart once you reach mid level along with any non-grinding based ways to get XP.

I have to agree, I loved AO so much before SL. After it came out I continued to play, sucked it up if you will. I got my doc to 210, and my advy to 175. It became clear that they wanted to take the original concept of the game and scrap it. They wanted Evergrind in space and thats what they did with SL. I came back a little bit to check out alien invasion and couldn't get back into it, was to jaded i guess as it could have been a great expansion but the game was done for me. I hope i never see another heckler in my entire life.