It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Because SO many people seem to misunderstand what SC is, i clarified it in another thread and I am reposting it in a thread of its own for any New Comers who stumble upon the SC forum here at mmorpg.com and are turned away by the sadly misinformed posters claiming this will not be a mmorpg.
In short, SC WILL infact be a MMORPG... but it will also be more than that. Read this Post if you want to know why and how.
Originally posted by hfztt
Its just an old school Multiplayer Online. Scratch the Massive. Massive was a word added when we went beyond the limits of classic LAN servers.This is comparable to MineCraft. MineCraft is Multiplayer Online. It's not build to be Massive.
You guys are either clueless or intend to down talk this game... Clearly you don't understand the structure of MMORPG's. This WILL be MASSIVE. The only thing comparable to MineCraft are the Private (Modable) shards we will be able to host.
Let me give you a breakdown to make it easier for you guys.
- Each Zone will support 64-100+ players - That IS massive. What mmorpg do you know that can have more than that in a single area all fighting at the same time? WoW? no.. In wow the only time you see 100+ players is in capitol cities where everyone is just standing around. when 100+ raid a capitol city, 90% of the time it crashes the server and lags everyone to death. Which in my eyes is the main reason they made capitol cities like shattrah and beyond neutral - you can't raid a neutral city... Instances - seamless or not are inevitable with current technologies. The biggest battleground is alterac valley with 40v40. Thats only 80 people in a zone. So you must not consider WoW a MMORPG then? PlanetSide 2 is the only game to really push that boundary with an impressive 2000 player limit per continent. Ofcourse 2000 players in a single area on that continent lags everyone down to 20-30fps IF they have a super computer... everyone else gets 5fps... One might argue Eve online's largest battle was around 3000 players. While that may be true, Eve online is not real time combat, there arent any physics calculations being done. This is what such a battle looks like http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2010/10/largebattle-title.jpg - doesn't look like fun to me...
- Zones in SC will be Instanced and seamlessly interconnected in which your character and ship will be persistent server wide. The only way that is even remotely similar to minecraft is if in minecraft there were portals that when entered connected you to other servers in which your chacter persists on one central database shared by all servers... (Possible, ive done it, but very buggy with the available plugins). There will be 100+ star systems at launch. Each of which will be capable of having 100 or so players (needs to be stress tested to push its limits). These zones will have multiple "battle instances" that are basically shards of the same zone that will be used as a matchmaking technique to put players of equal skill / ship quality together. Like guild wars and MANY other mmorpg's do. The only reason WoW and other games seem so "Massive" is because you "THINK" that you can have that many players in a zone because you don't see the "48/64 players" when you enter a zone. Its hidden. It will likely be hidden in SC too, they are just telling you of its capabilities. WoW never told us its capabilites because they want you to assume its limitless. Its immersive.
- If you've ever played FreeSpace 2 (The best space/flight sim to date) - You know that 20 ships in a single battle is massive and chaotic. 60-100 will be Insane. If you have played freespace you can imagine star citizen is freespace in which you can freely enter through Jump nodes to travel to any of star systems within the galaxy. Each star system will potentially have 1-100 players inside. Scary to think about when you know any pirate can come kill you and destroy your ship (Without consequence if in low-security star systems). Let alone fleets of pirates.. Your ship (if not insured) will be lost. If you don't have the creds to afford a new ship you will have to run missions for a third party or join the military. On your ship will be different modules such as shield generators, mounted lasers / guns / propelled rockets, countermeasures, and much more... But i digress..
The reason you misinformed people misunderstand all this is because they don't claim to be a MMORPG. The reason for this is because it will not ONLY be an mmorpg (Persistant Universe). It will all three possible play types in one.
- 1) You will be able to play the SC campaign Single-Player - No internet required - No freely explorable world.
- 2) You will be able to host your own shard that will have limited features (i.e. just dogfighting and maybe a few star systems). and a 64 player cap where you can modify the experience of the gameplay to your desire. For example you can remove certain ships or weapons from the game and control their stats to your liking.
- 3) You will be able to Login to the PERSISTANT (Your character and his assets will be saved) Server Hosted, Admin'd, and policed by CIG that will consist of approximately 50,000 players inhabiting 100+ star systems ( New jump nodes will be able to be discovered by players as the game matures, and if you successfully navigate those new jump nodes to the new star system, that system will be named after you - permanently, persistently). You will be able to locate and interact with all players within the server (ie Bounty hunters can track you down and kill you - wherever you are). So obviously this will be a Massively Multiplayer Online Game where you can PLAY the ROLE of a smuggler, pirate, trader, bounty hunter, military officer etc... AKA MMORPG
I've taken enough time out of my busy work schedule (Not much - i type 130 WPM) and don't feel like proof reading. Sorry if there are any typo or sentences that don't make sence lol.
TL;DR - This game will be a MMORPG++ such that it cannot be categorized as just an mmorpg.