Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's make it easier

JoshNogJoshNog Member UncommonPosts: 18

First of all, non native speaker here, so mercy, please.

I created this post to summarize in a couple ideas what we expect from EQN. And I include everyone expecting this game to be a renewal of older times because we all miss the essence of EQ like MMOs:

- not everything is for everyone. We must accept it, in MMORPGs as in RL. What destroyed these games was the "everyone should be able to do/get everything. MMORPGs world must be vast, misterious, uneasy, unguided. It's a new world with many nwritten adventures waiting for players to create them.

Still easier, when we first played these games we only thought of having fun; now we think in the time we will spend to achieve X, then Y. 

We need a game to have fun since lvl 1, no matter how far you finally go. BUt please, stop thinking everybody should get everything. That would kill once again the MMOPRG.

Comments

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Originally posted by JoshNog

"not everything is for everyone."

What destroyed these games was "everyone should be able to do/get everything."

"stop thinking everybody should get everything."

Sorry you lost me there.

Are you trying to say MMOs should not have too many things to do?

Or that certain MMOs attract only certain people?

Or that players should not be given too many rewards in game?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i don't know but each class should not be given everything or be able to do everything, if that's what you mean.

in a nut shell, EQnext must be a group focused game like the original was.

you needed a wizard or a druid for a port, you needed a necro or an SK to summon your corpse if you died in a bad spot.

many of the classes could not solo as effectively as some of the others but were awesome and absolutely essential in a group.

if that is what you are talking about OP, then i agree.

i also think it should be a game where it takes you a long ass time to get somewhere and when you get there you can set up camp, do a little bit of hunting, or even build a house in the middle of nowhere (or whatever the hell you want to do).

smed claims it will be the largest sandbox style mmo ever made so i have hope it will be something like that.

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I won't say must for anything, I'll play almost no matter what just to give it a chance.

I'm hoping to go back to a time when leveling was given as much thought as end game and it wasn't so drop dead boring that I tried to get through it as fast as I could.

If the game is PvP I'm ok, or PvE or a mix. If it's so sandbox I have to remember to eat and buy gear from crafters I'm ok, or if I only get gear from mobs I'm OK.

Really the only thing I'm not ok with is:
    1. Theme park

I might have trouble enjoying the game if I can play by myself for 20 hours without dying. I really want to feel the danger again. If I go back to EQ I feel it, but EQ2 not so much.

Asdar

• JoshNogJoshNog Member UncommonPosts: 18
    It seems I didn't make myself clear. I totally agree with you all. I wanted to say, that we need to go back to the time where a reward felt like a true reward, after a long effort, for example, X epic weapon.

What I wanted to say is we need to recover the essence of old EQ. When I said not everything is for everyone, I meant that every single player should not get everything the game offers with different amount of time/effort.

We are now in a time where everything is given for free, no effort, no reward feeling at all.

The statement that wow gave us, is what killed the feeling of greatness of these games: everyone should see/kill/get everything, no matter the time spent, the skill of if they play solo.

That's what I meant. When we lost the illusion to achieve X, working for months.

I say all this because in other threads, people defend they have to create a game for every kind of public: FALSE AND HUGE MISTAKE.

There are enough MMORPGs in the market and all the efforts to gather all kind of public turned into boring games.

If you can't afford a Ferrari, you just accept it, and buy what you can pay for.

If you don't have time to spend 30 mins travelling, then don't play EQ, because that was part of it.

I'm against those who instead of choose the game that goes with them, ask for every single MMORPG to be the way the want it to be.

EQN must follow EQ path, like it or not. We don't want a WoW killer, we want to have fun the old way. And I think SOE knows it.

We adapted to EQ, we accepted what they offer and we loved it, we just PLAYED. Now people want some kind of WoW but different: nonsense.

I want very different classes to interact and need each other to form a Community. I don't want a game that becomes a grinding routine.

In conclusion, if you can't/don't want to play with slow pace, long distances, etc. THEN I'm sorry, this is not for you.
    If you can't play so hardcore to get the mighty weapon of hell, sorry, this game is not for you,

If you claim you should have the same right to get that weapon being a casual player, then the mighty weapon would be another non-epic weapon you'll get easily and only for the stats, forgetting the epicness of that fight or that journey to get it.

"Not everything should be for eveyone."

I hope now I make it clear.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

I think everyone in this thread is saying the same thing but in a different way lol.

"take us home Smed"image

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There lies the problem OP,has Soe given any indication of that?I think definitely not.Just play EQ2 you will have your bags loaded with junk and good drops,they try to give you too much of everything.You fight a Boss there is a really good chance you will get what you are after.

in comparison i knew MANY players in FFXI who spent months,years getting certain drops,they were truly rare and made them all the more exciting to finally get one.

What i have seen so far is like everyone else,which is not much.However it does not look at all like it will be old school,not in the least.Simple reason is they are bantering around new ideas.We heard them toss around  the perma death idea.The reason imo is because they are tossing around ideas that might support a cash shop.That has been Smedley's tunnel vision for a few years now.

So i expect the decision process to be based on money making more so than what makes a great game to play.I know it sounds like it goes hand ion hand but not really.They will pick and choose from the easiest elements to pull off and the most cost effective.

I believe the game will be a quality product, i am actually certain of it,aside from bugs which SOE is famous for.It will only be a matter of how much is about cash shop.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

You're right, we have no clear indications but if they want to use EQ world and (not exactly this words) remake it, we tend to think it will look like old EQ in its purest essence: slow pace, difficulty, vast world, strong community through groups.

And if we follow what seems their logic, they didn't announce anything about the game to avoid, in part, the hype. So if they claim it will be a great sandbox and therefore successful, we might think they'll do a refined EQ, in its base.

Otherwise, I think it wouldn't make any sense to refer to EQ when they talk about EQN; they did not refer to EQ2 as much, I think.

all this is pure speculation but they know this would be the effect of their words, some kind of hype but in this direction.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I saw one video where they wanted to 'capture' the feeling of the original EQ, which can mean about anything you want it to.  I am hoping that they will make a good game that feels like old EQ, with more sandbox, updated graphics, starting areas for the many different races, like EQ had, not the 1 or 2 areas you seem to get anymore.

I am hoping that they make a good crafting/harvesting system, and if they don't get rid of instances, atleast make them a minor aspect.  I also hope if they are going to have content creation, that they learn from all the mistakes that mmos have made with these systems.

I posted long ago about content creation, but the AI doing it, I think the technology is there to use set variables to make good content.  You could have a large open world, and explore and find unique quests/dungeons that once you or your group finds them and completes them, they are done/gone....All while being open world.  It can get much more involved, and I don't think we will see it in a mmo yet, but eventually the AI will be able to shape the world, along with the players, and things people do will influence it in a real way, not some phased logic loop or whatever we have now.

Their would be no eating the content up, if the AI/world had say 1000 unique randomly placed quests/events, 100/200 dungeons that are generated in the open world, if one is completed, it is over and another randomly generated elsewhere, to where you have to adventure to find things, along with a group of dungeons and areas that do not change, but stay.  Then you would have more normal content to go do, or you could set off to adventure and encounter a new world every time you do.

PvP games and servers could also use this type of system to make alliances, even with computer AIs, to take control of cities, build cities, maybe even AI factions could take advantage of two player factions weakening each other to where they cannot defend their territory and become vulnerable....Make it like a guild/faction game, and you could even have a segment that if they don't wish to be part of that, they are undeclared faction/guild wise.  They would have to pay taxes on lands and such, but it would leave them out of the power struggles for control of the land (a way to exclude those that do not want ffa pvp, but they cannot attack people and flag/unflag, they have to join a side if they want to take part in pvp).

Now I don't think EQNext is going to be doing any of that, but I am just hopeful that they will have good quality systems, with a good deal of sandbox.  Not the current railed, quest hubbed, almost lobby based mmos that we get now.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by baphamet

you needed a wizard or a druid for a port, you needed a necro or an SK to summon your corpse if you died in a bad spot.

i agree w you

but im expecting EQ3 to be solo friendly for all classes

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Nadia

i agree w you

Smed can have easy mode servers for those wanting that crap, but, only if he has original challenging EQ servers as well.

We'll see in August... :)

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    All I am afraight of is too much next-gen and new things crap ... Hope they dont focus on ipad than pc or whatever, because a lot of talking was around that. No one cares about ipad and mobiles
    Old essence with new techonology, as simple as that.

Need to group up, build a community, feel inside a huge world, experience every single zone; all this with 2013 graphics, models, animations, etc.

I think we all agree. As they said, a remake of Norrath.
  • BBPD766BBPD766 Member UncommonPosts: 98

i agree w you

I'm sure it will be solo friendly to all classes by having plenty to do on your own, but I would certainly hope that they aren't making it so all the classes can level to endgame (easily that is) or spend the better part of their experience without the help of others. Eliminate the need to group with others and we're right back to what so much of the community is hoping the industry breaks away from; the same format as "insert current MMO here" and disconnecting any need for a player to group.

It's difficult to have a sense of community or feel a sense of purpose or connection with your character if you're running through the entire game unassisted. Somewhere along the line we allowed ourselves to lose that feeling in our games. As a result, it 's turned us all into a bunch of nomads trudging from game to game without devoting any significant time to any of them just waiting for the  "the next big thing" to come out and fill our time.

Though it's been mentioned previously and on other forums, I would like to see EQN adopt/improve on EQ's original formula where you got an xp bonus to group. I also think EQ's original formula was fantastic the way each class specialized in something they brought to the group. It made everyone's role significant. You needed a tank to hold the mob, you needed a healer to keep the group alive, you needed somebody to slow and debuff the mob, you needed somebody to buff the group, and you needed your pure damage dealers. Remove that to make it so every class can do everything, and you just took away grouping. Add in a death penalty that has significance;  adopting/improving on the original EQ. Implement these core elements (as a start or part of the recipe) and  you've just encouraged players to group together.

Now i'm not saying classic did those things I mentioned (above) better than all the other games, either. I just believe that those are some of the elements that need to be part of EQN's core. I'm hopeful that EQN is as groundbreaking a sandbox MMO as the original was when it first came out. It would be nice to settle down for a long time in a game that I can call home again.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by Dogblaster
    All I am afraight of is too much next-gen and new things crap ... Hope they dont focus on ipad than pc or whatever, because a lot of talking was around that. No one cares about ipad and mobiles

Actually quite a few people DO care about tablets and mobiles and any company that embraces this, to some extent, will be genius.

Just because YOU don't care about it means nothing, at this point you would be the minority.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

I'm sure it will be solo friendly to all classes by having plenty to do on your own, but I would certainly hope that they aren't making it so all the classes can level to endgame (easily that is) or spend the better part of their experience without the help of others. Eliminate the need to group with others and we're right back to what so much of the community is hoping the industry breaks away from; the same format as "insert current MMO here" and disconnecting any need for a player to group.

It's difficult to have a sense of community or feel a sense of purpose or connection with your character if you're running through the entire game unassisted. Somewhere along the line we allowed ourselves to lose that feeling in our games. As a result, it 's turned us all into a bunch of nomads trudging from game to game without devoting any significant time to any of them just waiting for the  "the next big thing" to come out and fill our time.

Though it's been mentioned previously and on other forums, I would like to see EQN adopt/improve on EQ's original formula where you got an xp bonus to group. I also think EQ's original formula was fantastic the way each class specialized in something they brought to the group. It made everyone's role significant. You needed a tank to hold the mob, you needed a healer to keep the group alive, you needed somebody to slow and debuff the mob, you needed somebody to buff the group, and you needed your pure damage dealers. Remove that to make it so every class can do everything, and you just took away grouping. Add in a death penalty that has significance;  adopting/improving on the original EQ. Implement these core elements (as a start or part of the recipe) and  you've just encouraged players to group together.

Now i'm not saying classic did those things I mentioned (above) better than all the other games, either. I just believe that those are some of the elements that need to be part of EQN's core. I'm hopeful that EQN is as groundbreaking a sandbox MMO as the original was when it first came out. It would be nice to settle down for a long time in a game that I can call home again.

1000 times this.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Cirin
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

Actually quite a few people DO care about tablets and mobiles and any company that embraces this, to some extent, will be genius.

Just because YOU don't care about it means nothing, at this point you would be the minority.

If they made EQNext playable on a ipad, it would probably be garbage and not worth worrying about.

Originally posted by Dogblaster All I am afraight of is too much next-gen and new things crap ... Hope they dont focus on ipad than pc or whatever, because a lot of talking was around that. No one cares about ipad and mobiles

from what i read and i am definitely just speculating, but i think it sounds like you will be able to use mobile devices to do certain things in game like tend to your crops or craft items for example.

i could be wrong but that's what its sounding like to me. as long as i don't have to do it i am fine with it.

Originally posted by baphamet in a nut shell, EQnext must be a group focused game like the original was. you needed a wizard or a druid for a port, you needed a necro or an SK to summon your corpse if you died in a bad spot.
    i agree w you

well i hope you are wrong. i want there to be solo friendly classes sure, just not all of them.

i want there to be true support classes and classes that shine in a group situation above the other solo friendly ones.

like others have said, if they make all the classes able to just solo all the time, that will be a mistake IMO.

• H3deonH3deon Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Dogblaster All I am afraight of is too much next-gen and new things crap ... Hope they dont focus on ipad than pc or whatever, because a lot of talking was around that. No one cares about ipad and mobiles

from what i read and i am definitely just speculating, but i think it sounds like you will be able to use mobile devices to do certain things in game like tend to your crops or craft items for example.

i could be wrong but that's what its sounding like to me. as long as i don't have to do it i am fine with it.

I think you are thinking about Archeage there, nothing have been revealed yet about gathering/crafting for EQN yet, as far as I know.

all they have said about mobile devices for EQN, is they want it to play a role, deeper than PS2, but when they express themself like they did in that interview, usually, it means past release if ever...

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

We need a game to have fun since lvl 1, no matter how far you finally go. BUt please, stop thinking everybody should get everything. That would kill once again the MMOPRG.

This is pretty much spot on..

No game should be all about end game.. all the game should be enjoyable even if it takes a long time to get to end game the stuff in-between should be good.

Originally posted by H3deon
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by Cirin Originally posted by Dogblaster All I am afraight of is too much next-gen and new things crap ... Hope they dont focus on ipad than pc or whatever, because a lot of talking was around that. No one cares about ipad and mobiles
    Actually quite a few people DO care about tablets and mobiles and any company that embraces this, to some extent, will be genius.     Just because YOU don't care about it means nothing, at this point you would be the minority.
      from what i read and i am definitely just speculating, but i think it sounds like you will be able to use mobile devices to do certain things in game like tend to your crops or craft items for example. i could be wrong but that's what its sounding like to me. as long as i don't have to do it i am fine with it.
    I think you are thinking about Archeage there, nothing have been revealed yet about gathering/crafting for EQN yet, as far as I know.

all they have said about mobile devices for EQN, is they want it to play a role, deeper than PS2, but when they express themself like they did in that interview, usually, it means past release if ever...

no, i was thinking of EQnext. as i mentioned i was purely speculating what it would be.

• H3deonH3deon Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by H3deon

Actually quite a few people DO care about tablets and mobiles and any company that embraces this, to some extent, will be genius.     Just because YOU don't care about it means nothing, at this point you would be the minority.
      from what i read and i am definitely just speculating, but i think it sounds like you will be able to use mobile devices to do certain things in game like tend to your crops or craft items for example. i could be wrong but that's what its sounding like to me. as long as i don't have to do it i am fine with it.

no, i was thinking of EQnext. as i mentioned i was purely speculating what it would be.

were just saying because it sounds like what XLgames have talked about, for EQN they havent even talked about farming at all yet, as far as I know.

anyway, speculating is what these forums are for : P  I actually look more toward EQN now because of the talk about sandbox features....so I do  wish for some farming/crafting features, in a non FFA PvP environment, similar to AA....the FFA PvP really kill AA for me...I just dont believe in people, in EU/US, treating AA as anything more than an expanded FPS lobby game. I dont really mind PvP, just I mind how other people use it ; )

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

i agree w you

I agree too, I think they need to find a way to balance single and party content. They need to give added benefits to joining a group though like enhanced item drops etc. It is very important that they bring back the Class specific skills like what Baph said above, that helped the community so much and required players to talk with others.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by superconducting

"not everything is for everyone."

What destroyed these games was "everyone should be able to do/get everything."

"stop thinking everybody should get everything."

Sorry you lost me there.

Are you trying to say MMOs should not have too many things to do?

Or that certain MMOs attract only certain people?

Or that players should not be given too many rewards in game?

I think what he's saying is that games need to stop trying to please everyone, and that designing a game around the lowest common denominator makes for a boring experience.

You make me like charity

1000 times this, Sir