Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

US - EU merge

VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

I've just recieved an email that the first step for the merge of EU and US servers will start in about 2 days. Which means more players on the playfield to start the hardcore pvp's again:).

Any old conan players might give it a shot. I hope it gives the game the great feeling back it had once in its open world pvp.

Comments

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

You forgot to mention the fact that they will move the server to the USA.

Which means for all European players, they will be plague by 150-250 increases in their ping/latency ms.

Have fun watching your skills activate 1-2 seconds later. :(

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

Hahaha, this made me laugh.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by lickm3

Yeah, someone didn't pay attention at school.

I almost always play on US servers and play just fine with 150-250ms latency.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Since I have a ping of 80-90 in another games which are located on US based servers. I think it won't be such big knockback for me
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

Is this good or bad news?

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    One global server? Yay! One global server in a country with crappy expensive internet? Nay! They should place their servers either in Britain or in Iceland, best pings for everyone except the Pacific area guys.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by JeroKane

No offense, but ideal ping is below 100 ms.  Creeping close to 300ms will be noticeable.  And yes, if you are in EU and playing on the US server with only 150-250ms, then thats pretty good - considering your distance.  BUT, its not ideal, especially for pvp, AND that's not to say that many players will get much, much worse latency then you.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    I am gona make a return to check out the servers. I miss AoC. It was my first and still my fav. I just burned out after years of running a guild and sold my account. Always regreted it tho.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

got the email too. they are doing it in preperation for TSW's single server tech upgrade for AoC

have chars on both EU and US, play experience was exactly the same for me, no latency issues here and I'm in EU playing on US server

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Same for me.. Have charctersin both US and EU. latency is the same for me. Don't forget that Funcom has invested a huge pile of money in this singleserver technology. It works for TSW... I expect it also to work for AoC. This will be Epic!!!

The Ultimate Breakdown

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by TheHavok

No offense, but ideal ping is below 100 ms.  Creeping close to 300ms will be noticeable.  And yes, if you are in EU and playing on the US server with only 150-250ms, then thats pretty good - considering your distance. 

+1. I'm not very happy about the server transfer.  When LotRO dragged away our servers, I cancelled the sub (which turned out to be a great move since I found out this way that I have the same gameplay as a Premium user :) ).

And I don't even pvp... that + 100-150ms is noticeable even in an mmo, especially with fast-response classes - and AoC has many of those due to the combo system.

In LotRO after the transfer it was a pain in the butt to play the warden. While the extended delay is only slightly disturbing during general gameplay (like the first few horse races over there I failed a lot until i got used to the extra delay), the warden's gambit system was a total mess... you can't just say to muscle memory that from now on wait a bit before every keystroke. And since I'm a long-time AoC player, I think it will be a mess too. At least for me. I mean, when I last time went back to my barb, after 2-3minute my hand was automatically recalled all the combos :)

The problem is not the higher ping, it's the switch to that. I also play a lot on US and Eastern servers, under 200ms I don't have any problems usually. But the switch to a higher ping after years of playing the game is very notice-able. In my previous case with the warden, I ditched her for a year (Isengard ruined the class anyways :) ), played with other classes, and then started a new warden from scratch to "relearn" the keystroke frequency. But in AoC more than half of the classes using the combo system...

I guess we'll see when we get there. As in next Tuesday.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Ping above 100 (servers across the ocean) could be a big deal like 10y ago as you had a disadvantage against players with lower ping, but these days you should not see the difference to a point where you are at a disadvantage.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Muke

Ping above 100 (servers across the ocean) could be a big deal like 10y ago as you had a disadvantage against players with lower ping, but these days you should not see the difference to a point where you are at a disadvantage.

Someone didn't play world of tanks when the american closed beta started and the server moved to the US for everyone. You try fighting  in a reaction based game with 200 ms delay and see how much liquid shit that is. Unless their server is superb and their infrastructure incredible to maintain 100 ms top ping even for EU players Age of Conan just got unplayable for anyone that had game controls down to an instinctual level.