Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iBUYPOWER Gamer Valkyrie CZ-17 NE726x Notebook Intel Core i7 3630QM(2.40GHz) 17.3" 16GB Memory DDR3

AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834227049

If I had money to burn would this be a bad deal?

Comments

• tadams2tonetadams2tone Member UncommonPosts: 59
    YES!  Do not buy from Ibuypower.  If you are determined to do so anyway, despite my warnings please do an in depth google search.  Look on reseller ratings.  If you dig deep enough, you will find that they have been fined several times by the FCC for bad buisiness practices.  I can't give you all the details of my ordeal with them.  I can tell you that I bought 2 computers that were VERY expensive.  Neither worked on arrival, one had a bad motherboard, HD, and GPU.  The other one came w/ a bad gpu.  After dealing with them for weeks and sending the more messed up one back, they tried to charge me for the motherboard and sent a picture of a broken motherboard that was not mine.  Luckily, I had wrote down and taken pics of all the serial numbers of parts in said computer.  They charged me 300 dollars for the motherboard.  I had to take it to dispute.  Wasted like a month of stress battling them over these two comps.  Please do yourself a favor, do a google search.  Companies like AVAdirect are much better.  Just check reseller ratings.  Ibuypower has some good ones, but if you look close at the reviews they all seem very generic, kinda like they were just made up.  Ava direct has like 100% positives with detailed reviews.  Good luck, steer clear of this company if you don't want to throw money away.
  • VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Sure does look secksy,

I know nothing of laptops for gaming but would be interested to see what those in the know have to say about a rig like this.  $1300 seems f'ing great to me but what do i know.

I fancy the idea of playing on a laptop in a recliner, kinda like "total useless vegetable mode".  Laptop in my face and bigscreen TV 15 degrees above or outside the monitor viewing area.  Total immersion lol.

The question I wonder though is am I going to burn my balls off? 

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    looks solid, but I back the other post, dont buy from IBUYPOWER
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by tadams2tone
    YES!  Do not buy from Ibuypower.  If you are determined to do so anyway, despite my warnings please do an in depth google search.  Look on reseller ratings.  If you dig deep enough, you will find that they have been fined several times by the FCC for bad buisiness practices.  I can't give you all the details of my ordeal with them.  I can tell you that I bought 2 computers that were VERY expensive.  Neither worked on arrival, one had a bad motherboard, HD, and GPU.  The other one came w/ a bad gpu.  After dealing with them for weeks and sending the more messed up one back, they tried to charge me for the motherboard and sent a picture of a broken motherboard that was not mine.  Luckily, I had wrote down and taken pics of all the serial numbers of parts in said computer.  They charged me 300 dollars for the motherboard.  I had to take it to dispute.  Wasted like a month of stress battling them over these two comps.  Please do yourself a favor, do a google search.  Companies like AVAdirect are much better.  Just check reseller ratings.  Ibuypower has some good ones, but if you look close at the reviews they all seem very generic, kinda like they were just made up.  Ava direct has like 100% positives with detailed reviews.  Good luck, steer clear of this company if you don't want to throw money away.

Well I bought my current pc from Ibuypower thru newegg and just upgraded the gpu and the case a year ago and only had to replace the psu a couple of weeks ago and have not had any issues with it besides the psu dying a year later. I do feel bad that you have had a bad experience and am not trying to downplay that. So from that maybe a $1300 risk might not be wise heh ty for reply.

• tadams2tonetadams2tone Member UncommonPosts: 59

One of my comps from them is still going, yes, but like I said these are some Shady mfs.  If you are determined to buy one and not build I would really recommend AVADirect, tons of payment options, cheap as hell, great service, great reviews.

I know I am semi-ranting, and I'm sorry for my last post being a rant wall of text, but please do yourself a favor and avoid these guys.  I usually only lurk, until I see someone asking if they should buy from IBuyPower.  I know comp parts don't work someteims, it's the nature of the technology, but sending you a pic of a physically broken MB and trying to charge you 300 for it is just shady.   Especially when the MB had a different serial then the one they originally sent me.

If you need more info just google them.  There is a FB group called IBuyPowerSucks, I think that speaks for itself.

They were fined 14 thousand dollars by the FCC.  Also, if you look at reseller ratings it's pretty apparent that most of their positive reviews are fake.

The company is owned by a loan shark.  I forgot his name, but he is Chinese.  Also, steer clear of cyberpowerpc, same company.

Check out AVADirect if you want to buy, my partner just bought one from them, everything perfect and cheap, couldn't be happier.

Good luck in your search.

One of my comps from them is still going, yes, but like I said these are some Shady mfs.  If you are determined to buy one and not build I would really recommend AVADirect, tons of payment options, cheap as hell, great service, great reviews.

I know I am semi-ranting, and I'm sorry for my last post being a rant wall of text, but please do yourself a favor and avoid these guys.  I usually only lurk, until I see someone asking if they should buy from IBuyPower.  I know comp parts don't work someteims, it's the nature of the technology, but sending you a pic of a physically broken MB and trying to charge you 300 for it is just shady.   Especially when the MB had a different serial then the one they originally sent me.

If you need more info just google them.  There is a FB group called IBuyPowerSucks, I think that speaks for itself.

They were fined 14 thousand dollars by the FCC.  Also, if you look at reseller ratings it's pretty apparent that most of their positive reviews are fake.

The company is owned by a loan shark.  I forgot his name, but he is Chinese.  Also, steer clear of cyberpowerpc, same company.

Check out AVADirect if you want to buy, my partner just bought one from them, everything perfect and cheap, couldn't be happier.

Good luck in your search.

Well it is a laptop so it cant be built per say, and the only reason I am considering it is it is on newegg as was the previous pc I bought and is on sale. I don't know if I would have even considered it if it was directly through Ibuypower. 

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I've had nothing but good experiences with ibuypower. Having said that, buying a laptop for gaming is always a waste of money. You get more for less with a desktop.
    Originally posted by VideoJockey
    I've had nothing but good experiences with ibuypower. Having said that, buying a laptop for gaming is always a waste of money. You get more for less with a desktop.

I hear what you are saying, but I do have a desktop and don't plan on stopping my use of it, I just have difficulty sometimes buying stuff and wondering if I shouldn't just spend more now instead of a low price now and then coming to a point later where I wished I doled out more.

At the moment it is between the one I linked in this thread and this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7K11MI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=vglnk-c864-20

lol its like 2 ends of a spectrum.

I wouldn't be dedicating my gaming to the laptop but I wonder if it wouldn't be worth it for the time I do play on it.

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618
    To be honest it doesn't look like that great of a deal.  Possibly for for $300 less but as it is I'd hold off for something else.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    The ASUS K55 Series is crap.  It is some of the weakest construction I have ever seen in a notebook and I wouldn't spend money on it. You can click the touchpad buttons 3/4 the way up the edge of the touchpad.  If you handle the notebook with one hand by the side, you'll hear the plastic cracking as it flexes from being to weak to support it's own weight.  It's just garbage and though it pains me to say it, I'd say it's on equal terms to your average acer/emachines quality.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by eyelolled
    The ASUS K55 Series is crap.  It is some of the weakest construction I have ever seen in a notebook and I wouldn't spend money on it. You can click the touchpad buttons 3/4 the way up the edge of the touchpad.  If you handle the notebook with one hand by the side, you'll hear the plastic cracking as it flexes from being to weak to support it's own weight.  It's just garbage and though it pains me to say it, I'd say it's on equal terms to your average acer/emachines quality.

Thanks for your input on that, as that is part of what makes me wonder if it would be better to spend more.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

If you are looking for a quality laptop from an online retailer with a good reputation for their products I'd recommend you check out XOTIC PC.  From a build quality stand point you really can't go wrong with any of the Sager (Clevo) models.  They don't tend to be the best looking but they are sturdy and usually offer the most in upgradeability after you purchase them, something you don't normally associate with laptops.

http://www.xoticpc.com/

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by Asheram

For most people, any capable gaming laptop would be a bad deal.  Too heavy, too expensive, runs too hot, too short of a life expectancy before the excessive heat fries things.

Gaming laptops really only make sense for people who are going to take a laptop somewhere and play games away from home.  It does have to be plugged into a wall, however, or else a gaming laptop will drain the battery really, really fast.  If you're a business traveler who wants to play games in hotels, then have at it.  But just because you need both a laptop and also a gaming system, it doesn't follow that you need a gaming laptop.

Laptops and desktops are very different matters.  iBuyPower doesn't build their own laptops; they take a rig from MSI or Clevo or whoever and may change the memory or hard drive, but it's mostly a rig built by someone else.

If you buy directly from their web site, they'll give you a lot of choices of parts, and if you order cheap junk, they'll sell you cheap junk.  The problem is the idiot buyer who ordered cheap junk.  If you buy a prebuilt through New Egg, then they will load you up with cheap junk parts, and in particular, the power supply will be worthless garbage that you ought to replace immediately--certainly before playing any games on it.

Well I bought my current pc from Ibuypower thru newegg and just upgraded the gpu and the case a year ago and only had to replace the psu a couple of weeks ago and have not had any issues with it besides the psu dying a year later. I do feel bad that you have had a bad experience and am not trying to downplay that. So from that maybe a $1300 risk might not be wise heh ty for reply.

Actually, you needed to replace the power supply the day it arrived, and apparently didn't realize it until much later.  Hopefully the garbage power supply didn't damage anything else in the meantime.

Originally posted by VideoJockey

I hear what you are saying, but I do have a desktop and don't plan on stopping my use of it, I just have difficulty sometimes buying stuff and wondering if I shouldn't just spend more now instead of a low price now and then coming to a point later where I wished I doled out more.

At the moment it is between the one I linked in this thread and this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7K11MI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=vglnk-c864-20

lol its like 2 ends of a spectrum.

I wouldn't be dedicating my gaming to the laptop but I wonder if it wouldn't be worth it for the time I do play on it.

That comes with a memory channel left vacant, so if you want to play games on it, you really should buy another memory module and add it yourself.  A 4 GB module costs about $25 or so.

If you just want a cheap laptop that will work, that will get the job done.  But it's cheap for a reason.

Originally posted by eyelolled

If you want a touchpad that works, get an external mouse and plug it in.  You're never going to find a touchpad that is anywhere near as good as a simple wired laser mouse.  Sometimes plugging in an external mouse isn't an option, but if it is, then do it.

Originally posted by VicodinTaco

Sure does look secksy,

I know nothing of laptops for gaming but would be interested to see what those in the know have to say about a rig like this.  $1300 seems f'ing great to me but what do i know.

I fancy the idea of playing on a laptop in a recliner, kinda like "total useless vegetable mode".  Laptop in my face and bigscreen TV 15 degrees above or outside the monitor viewing area.  Total immersion lol.

If you actually set a gaming laptop on your lap and then play games on it, then yes, you do risk sterilizing yourself.  Gaming laptops are fundamentally a proposition of too much heat in too little space.  Computer chips can handle temperatures like 150 Fahrenheit a lot better than human skin.  The bottom of the laptop won't be nearly as hot as the GPU chip itself, but it will be a lot hotter than is comfortable to touch.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Quizzical

For most people, any capable gaming laptop would be a bad deal.  Too heavy, too expensive, runs too hot, too short of a life expectancy before the excessive heat fries things.

Gaming laptops really only make sense for people who are going to take a laptop somewhere and play games away from home.  It does have to be plugged into a wall, however, or else a gaming laptop will drain the battery really, really fast.  If you're a business traveler who wants to play games in hotels, then have at it.  But just because you need both a laptop and also a gaming system, it doesn't follow that you need a gaming laptop.

There's another category of player who needs gaming laptops, people who have to sit in the living room and pretend to watch TV with their wife while actually gaming. image

Now, I understand what you are saying about the heat issue, pretty sure that was the cause of all issues I experienced on my first Dell and then Gateway laptop.  In fact, when the Gateway killed its 2nd motherboard, they gave up and sent me a new Acer to replace it, and fortunately I've gotten almost 2 years on it with no issues. 

My advice is when purchasing high end gaming laptops always buy the best, maximum warranty you can and make sure the vendor is strong enough to support it.  I've avoided literally thousands of dollars in repairs by having them in place, and like I said, got a free laptop about 2.5 yrs in on my last laptop.

Speaking of which, Quzzical, if you had to buy a gaming laptop right now, what do you think would be the best bet?  Something in the under 2K range I'm thinking.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Yeah, 1300 gaming laptop?

Or 800 dollar gaming PC and 500 dollar laptop for sake of laptop.

Quiz is right, as always - unless you are doing LOTS of gaming on the go, gaming laptop is a terrible idea.

Even then, if you are playing games like WoW or LoL or even like D3 etc. you can get away with a decent laptop with integrated graphics (APU) and spend the rest of your money on a much, much better gaming desktop PC.

But I always think - if you're traveling, you should probably be doing something more interesting than playing games.

Like going for walks, exploring local sites/hot spots, spending time with friends/family etc.

If you want mobile gaming - buy a smartphone and a tablet.

IMO, of course.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Sure does look secksy,

If you actually set a gaming laptop on your lap and then play games on it, then yes, you do risk sterilizing yourself.  Gaming laptops are fundamentally a proposition of too much heat in too little space.  Computer chips can handle temperatures like 150 Fahrenheit a lot better than human skin.  The bottom of the laptop won't be nearly as hot as the GPU chip itself, but it will be a lot hotter than is comfortable to touch.

Ah yes, they do get quite hot, and I do keep mine on my lap at all times.  I solved this issue by stealing a solid plastic cutting board (about 3/8" thick) from my wife that actually had raised rubber feet and grooves along the bottom which when turned upside down, the laptop rides on and actually provides bottom ventilation.  Never seen anything like it for sale since, so not sure you could find one.

Edit: OK, 3 grown children (20+) later and I'm not too concerned with sterilization, but your results may vary. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Sure does look secksy,

Cant resist:

I need to do a price comparisson. My wafe has been urging me to get a vascectomy, I am pro so meh, but maybe I can lobby for a gaming laptop instead of the price point is close.

• kostantiskostantis Member UncommonPosts: 29

hello there,

here's another angle at it:

you can wait till june for the haswell processors from intel, they will be sporting new integrated graphics with adequate gaming performance and lower battery consumption than discreet gpus for laptops. then, you have some options: 1) if you want a desktop replacement and do not care about battery life and portability (i.e. using the laptop at home/friends' homes/hotels only), you can take advantage of the price drops in current models, or 2) if you do care about portability, get an 13.3 inch ultrabook with nice performance (ssd, i7, fast ram) and a nice display (paramount for me) and, if you don't mind, stick to games that do not have insane reqs or play at lower settings.

Originally posted by kostantis

if you do care about portability, get an 13.3 inch ultrabook with nice performance (ssd, i7, fast ram) and a nice display (paramount for me) and, if you don't mind, stick to games that do not have insane reqs or play at lower settings.

An ultrabook means that you sacrifice everything else for the sake of making it thinner.  For starters, it's a high price tag for low performance and few features.  They're also borderline impossible to upgrade or repair.  Want a new battery?  Replace the whole laptop outright.  Want to replace a memory chip that failed?  Replace the whole laptop outright.  Low power, yes, but they can still be prone to overheating because they try to squeeze things into far too small of a space.  If you value thinness above all else, then sure, look at ultrabooks.  But for most people, there's no reason to even consider an ultrabook.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

It looks like a capable gaming laptop for sure. I might look around at some other sites and see what else is available for around that price. Personally if I were going to spend that much money on a laptop I would go ahead and splurge for an SSD.