Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weapons in TESO and RNG'd

2»

Comments

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Sign me up as another immensely in favor of this system. I've often wondered why only a very small number of mmos ever opted to use a RNG system for loot generation (heck, I can only think of two and they're both Asheron's Call games...). It adds an extra element of excitement when out hunting, as there's always a chance of finding something unique and powerful.

I was on the fence about this game before, but if they stay the course with this loot system, I'll definitely be getting it.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by tazarconan
    Thats very good news.

agreed.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

I took this from the Elder Scrolls Online Redditt. Someone posted a thread about this, and someone whose played the game a lot replied breaking his NDA

"This is a 100% fabrication. An iron axe will always be an iron axe with the same dps values. I played extensively at PAX East and have participated in the last two beta events.

I will tell you from the 4ish hours I played at PAX, all of the items with the same name shared the same DPS numbers. This also extends to beta tests thus far.

The only random factor is the enchant that can be rolled on a weapon; ie frost damage or fire damage. This means you can find an iron axe of fire that does three extra fire damage or an iron axe of frost that does 3 extra frost damage.

I ran the first instanced dungeon enough times to get every loot drop multiple times, and the stats were the same on every single one.

I will reiterate, random stat rolling has not effected base stats on an item and currently the only thing that is rolled on an item is the enchant if it has one!"

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by hMJem
    I took this from the Elder Scrolls Online Redditt. Someone posted a thread about this, and someone whose played the game a lot replied breaking his NDA  "This is a 100% fabrication. An iron axe will always be an iron axe with the same dps values. I played extensively at PAX East and have participated in the last two beta events. I will tell you from the 4ish hours I played at PAX, all of the items with the same name shared the same DPS numbers. This also extends to beta tests thus far. The only random factor is the enchant that can be rolled on a weapon; ie frost damage or fire damage. This means you can find an iron axe of fire that does three extra fire damage or an iron axe of frost that does 3 extra frost damage. I ran the first instanced dungeon enough times to get every loot drop multiple times, and the stats were the same on every single one. I will reiterate, random stat rolling has not effected base stats on an item and currently the only thing that is rolled on an item is the enchant if it has one!"  

so somebody is lying is what you are saying? and why do you take the "NDA breaker's" word over the writer of the article's? just curious because i would like to have accurate info and a lot of false garbage gets spread here about this game.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

You're taking an article of speculation over someones word whose played the game enough to see every item drop multiple times in the same instance and not see a difference in DPS/armor values but only enchantments?

This isnt Zenimax's word. This is a random article

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

The item system needs to be more than RNG* Diablo 3 or Epic Purples. It needs to take Elder Scrolls artifact items and crafting into consideration. I wonder what the final in game economy will be like. If it ends up being another auction house mudflation that's not very inspiring.

*Random Number Generator

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

You're taking an article of speculation over someones word whose played the game enough to see every item drop multiple times in the same instance and not see a difference in DPS/armor values but only enchantments?

i am not taking anyone's word for it, but obviously you are.

according to you this "NDA breaker" played it at pax and in beta and says the guy in the article who claimed he played it at pax as well is lying.

During my game play at PAX East, I got to experience this feature for myself. During my session I had the same weapon drop for me three times and each time the weapon had a different DPS stat on it. My first weapon had 12.5 DPS, the second had 11.8 DPS and the final one had 12.8 DPS. As you can see the range is not very large but enough to keep my eyes on the loot as I got it. A lot of times in other MMOs I have played, I tend to ignore loot that I pick up unless it is a quest reward or a chest. Normally items from random creatures tend to be what we call “vendor trash.” I’m glad Elder Scrolls Online went with this type of gear system. It kept me engaged and looking at every piece of gear I acquired. It was like Christmas every time the loot window popped up. I am glad that an MMORPG has finally adopted this type of system.

that doesn't seem to be speculation to me so i am not sure where you are getting that assumption from.

i would honestly like to know who is lying because somebody definitely is.

i just would like to know why you chose to take this random persons word for it over the person in the article, is there a reason? i am starting to have my doubts.

i mean, at least with an article like that one would assume that if someone was spreading misinformation zenimax would likely have them take it down.

but maybe not, i just would like to know either way.

• tombistombis Member Posts: 3

A loot system like old school RO, where the special stat (like %move speed % atak speed) is dropped by the npc ur killing (with a extremely low % rate like 0.01%) in form of an item that take 1 slot in a base gear with X amount of slots is a system that i would like to see again.  This way u can have 1000 different npcs and 1000 different effects spread across the entire world and each of those npcs will have a specific type of special stat item.

Im not saying that TESO should have this, i prefer that rather than just RNG on the drops.

And i know every system has a bad look when you look it from certain angle. So i guess it depends form which angle you look at games, that you´ll like this idea or not.

Hope this game is as gd as the hype :)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Comparing two AAA MMOs that are at similar stage in their development, ESO and Wildstar, the contrast between the two companies' policies about release of official information and in-game footage is remarkable.

ESO's closed-mouth approach and occasional reveals is very annoying, leads to silly debates and causes ESO to fade in and out of gamers' consciousness.

Wildstar, otoh, has a policy of constant reveals of entertaining and humorous videos that keeps the interest constant...like this one released last Thursday: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/devspeak.php

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Iselin

Comparing two AAA MMOs that are at similar stage in their development, ESO and Wildstar, the contrast between the two companies' policies about release of official information and in-game footage is remarkable.

ESO's closed-mouth approach and occasional reveals is very annoying, leads to silly debates and causes ESO to fade in and out of gamers' consciousness.

Wildstar, otoh, has a policy of constant reveals of entertaining and humorous videos that keeps the interest constant...like this one released last Thursday: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/devspeak.php

ESO and Wildstar are on tops of my keep update on games this year. EQN will be on that list as of Aug when we gets some real info. But as for Wildstar, they have a way of saying a lot without saying anything. Like their latest video, "WE HAVE MOVEMENT! WASD is in the game and JUMP!!!" lol... Ooooo Ahhhhhh lol. Maybe ESO needs to release a video letting us know they have WASD as well =) I get there was a little bit more in Wildstar video, but not much more. Does help with that silly hype but IMO ESO and EQN have it right. If I made a game it would be in a blackbox till it was 90% done. I would only let people know there is a game and thats about it. Fans get to rabid when they get into.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Iselin Comparing two AAA MMOs that are at similar stage in their development, ESO and Wildstar, the contrast between the two companies' policies about release of official information and in-game footage is remarkable. ESO's closed-mouth approach and occasional reveals is very annoying, leads to silly debates and causes ESO to fade in and out of gamers' consciousness. Wildstar, otoh, has a policy of constant reveals of entertaining and humorous videos that keeps the interest constant...like this one released last Thursday: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/devspeak.php  
    ESO and Wildstar are on tops of my keep update on games this year. EQN will be on that list as of Aug when we gets some real info. But as for Wildstar, they have a way of saying a lot without saying anything. Like their latest video, "WE HAVE MOVEMENT! WASD is in the game and JUMP!!!" lol... Ooooo Ahhhhhh lol. Maybe ESO needs to release a video letting us know they have WASD as well =) I get there was a little bit more in Wildstar video, but not much more. Does help with that silly hype but IMO ESO and EQN have it right. If I made a game it would be in a blackbox till it was 90% done. I would only let people know there is a game and thats about it. Fans get to rabid when they get into.

right, because EQnext and TESO already have an established IP and fan following.

when they release info it gets dissected and ripped apart, they also will have no problem marketing their product when the time is right.

wildstar does not have that luxury. they need to get the word out about their game, releasing more information early only helps them in the long run.

releasing too much info early doesn't really help games like TESO, especially when they know that negativity will inevitably be spread about that info no matter what it is.

although, i do understand the frustration as it is frustrating to me as well.

a lot of mmo devs have taken the hush hush approach far into development as of late.

they are all following blizzards lead who seemed to have started that trend.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Punk999
    Originally posted by azarhal

I hope they keep that itemization system. I like it, give more of an exploration feel to killing thing, as opposed to know exactly that Bandit #3 might drop the exact same copy of Sword of Agony as Bandit #2 did.

^this

I like this system as well.

Same loved it in SWG pre-cu, looking for those rare high dot weapons always kept me busy.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by baphamet

according to you this "NDA breaker" played it at pax and in beta and says the guy in the article who claimed he played it at pax as well is lying.

During my game play at PAX East, I got to experience this feature for myself. During my session I had the same weapon drop for me three times and each time the weapon had a different DPS stat on it. My first weapon had 12.5 DPS, the second had 11.8 DPS and the final one had 12.8 DPS. As you can see the range is not very large but enough to keep my eyes on the loot as I got it. A lot of times in other MMOs I have played, I tend to ignore loot that I pick up unless it is a quest reward or a chest. Normally items from random creatures tend to be what we call “vendor trash.” I’m glad Elder Scrolls Online went with this type of gear system. It kept me engaged and looking at every piece of gear I acquired. It was like Christmas every time the loot window popped up. I am glad that an MMORPG has finally adopted this type of system.

that doesn't seem to be speculation to me so i am not sure where you are getting that assumption from.

i just would like to know why you chose to take this random persons word for it over the person in the article, is there a reason? i am starting to have my doubts.

i mean, at least with an article like that one would assume that if someone was spreading misinformation zenimax would likely have them take it down.

Yeah, I thought that was funny too. I read it like, "You'd rather take some random guy on the internet's word for it, over some other random guy on the internet that I didn't even bother to give a name of or even a link to the statement he allegedly made to the contrary?"

At this point, I wouldn't be all that surprised if the loot system ended up being generic like so many others, but we can still hope the guy who wrote that article was possibly correct in his assumption. I'd really love a RNG loot system.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Seilan

At this point, I wouldn't be all that surprised if the loot system ended up being generic like so many others, but we can still hope the guy who wrote that article was possibly correct in his assumption. I'd really love a RNG loot system.

Well, it can't be like in other MMOs without them destroying the loot system that shows up in the single player games. If they got inspired by the single player TES games, we can expect very few enchantments per items and not that many stats to deal with...

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by baphamet

Further down in the Reddit comments the author chimed in to let us know that all of his articles are fact checked and screened by ZOS prior to publish. The author's past reveals have been confirmed later, so we can make a reasonable assumption that the liar is in fact the person who says the article is false.

That being said, I wonder if they'll be using crafting to help customize gear stats after they've been dropped. If a weapon has the right DPS but the wrong extra effects, I'd like to see crafters be able to wipe out (or at least reduce) the extra stats, and tailor make exactly what the player is looking for.

Edit: The Reddit Comment Link

• 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75

I really like the idea since you might get a good weapon ANYWHERE in Tamriel, not just in area X from mobs Y and Z. Really spices things up in the MMO world IMO. 

Definitely looking forward to this! :)

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by rygard49

That being said, I wonder if they'll be using crafting to help customize gear stats after they've been dropped. If a weapon has the right DPS but the wrong extra effects, I'd like to see crafters be able to wipe out (or at least reduce) the extra stats, and tailor make exactly what the player is looking for.

ESO already said that the crafting system will allow us to improve loot (including the best loot found in the game) , we just don't know how flexible it is right now. I'm personally thinking that focusing on the right enchantments might be simpler, juste improve the weapon base stat through crafting (which we know is possible).

edit: Having re-read a ESO crafting article. Seems like "additives" will give special effect to weapon/armors. Sound a lot like Asheron's Call tinker system, so maybe we can remove effect by adding certain additives...

• FengcrushFengcrush Member Posts: 2

I took this from the Elder Scrolls Online Redditt. Someone posted a thread about this, and someone whose played the game a lot replied breaking his NDA

"This is a 100% fabrication. An iron axe will always be an iron axe with the same dps values. I played extensively at PAX East and have participated in the last two beta events.

I will tell you from the 4ish hours I played at PAX, all of the items with the same name shared the same DPS numbers. This also extends to beta tests thus far.

The only random factor is the enchant that can be rolled on a weapon; ie frost damage or fire damage. This means you can find an iron axe of fire that does three extra fire damage or an iron axe of frost that does 3 extra frost damage.

I ran the first instanced dungeon enough times to get every loot drop multiple times, and the stats were the same on every single one.

I will reiterate, random stat rolling has not effected base stats on an item and currently the only thing that is rolled on an item is the enchant if it has one!"

This guy is misinformed and lying it looks like!

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by azarhal

ESO already said that the crafting system will allow us to improve loot (including the best loot found in the game) , we just don't know how flexible it is right now. I'm personally thinking that focusing on the right enchantments might be simpler, juste improve the weapon base stat through crafting (which we know is possible).

edit: Having re-read a ESO crafting article. Seems like "additives" will give special effect to weapon/armors. Sound a lot like Asheron's Call tinker system, so maybe we can remove effect by adding certain additives...

This would be awesome.

I love getting crafters more involved in the regular loot process. Being able to craft physical items is nice in a game like UO or DAoC, where all the end game armor and weapons are the same and are degradable. But in a gear progression game it's never been an advantage to be able to make weapons or armor because you had already outpaced anything you could craft.

Having a system where crafters can modify end game equipment really puts the crafter into a deserved limelight, and makes the crafting worthwhile.

Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by azarhal ESO already said that the crafting system will allow us to improve loot (including the best loot found in the game) , we just don't know how flexible it is right now. I'm personally thinking that focusing on the right enchantments might be simpler, juste improve the weapon base stat through crafting (which we know is possible). edit: Having re-read a ESO crafting article. Seems like "additives" will give special effect to weapon/armors. Sound a lot like Asheron's Call tinker system, so maybe we can remove effect by adding certain additives...
    This would be awesome.

I love getting crafters more involved in the regular loot process. Being able to craft physical items is nice in a game like UO or DAoC, where all the end game armor and weapons are the same and are degradable. But in a gear progression game it's never been an advantage to be able to make weapons or armor because you had already outpaced anything you could craft.

Having a system where crafters can modify end game equipment really puts the crafter into a deserved limelight, and makes the crafting worthwhile.

not only that but they have confirmed that crafters who choose to specialize can craft the best weapons or armor in the game.

IMO crafting in TESO sounds like one of the better features of the game and has a lot of potential.