Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drow on the Surface World, A Lore Question

sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112

As my wife is loving the game Im roped in.  Formerly a big AD&D player and 3rd edition player in my school days Im enjoying the game also.

But one thing kinda boggles my mind.  WIth the exception of Drizzt and Jarlaxle whats with the drow on the surface world? Is there a lore based reason for this?

Any insight would help a bunch ;)

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

Comments

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    I haven't really looked at the lore in detail, but with 4E and the associated time leap, they made a lot of changes to FR, and one of them was the apparent tolerance, if not full acceptance, of drow on the surface.
  • ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by sado2020

As my wife is loving the game Im roped in.  Formerly a big AD&D player and 3rd edition player in my school days Im enjoying the game also.

But one thing kinda boggles my mind.  WIth the exception of Drizzt and Jarlaxle whats with the drow on the surface world? Is there a lore based reason for this?

It's all related to the spellplague.

"The region surrounding the Great Rift collapsed into the Underdark, creating an enormous cataract in the earth called the Underchasm."

Hence why the drow now roam the land.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    It always tickled me growing up reading those books that the only dark skinned main sequence race in the D&D world were made to be evil nearly down to every man, woman and child. Fantasy writers are a strange sort. 

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by ABRaquel
    Originally posted by sado2020

It's all related to the spellplague.

"The region surrounding the Great Rift collapsed into the Underdark, creating an enormous cataract in the earth called the Underchasm."

Hence why the drow now roam the land.

This. You can imagine, when a portion of the size of Canada crashes into the Underdark, leaving a giant chasm, many Drow fled to the surface and are now... well not common, but way more common. ;)

Originally posted by Leethe
    It always tickled me growing up reading those books that the only dark skinned main sequence race in the D&D world were made to be evil nearly down to every man, woman and child. Fantasy writers are a strange sort. 

Yeah, pisses me off actually. From dark skinned Orc to dark skinned Drow... I hated that. The blond and fair are good and the dark skinned are evil. Not funny.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by Leethe

Yeah, it's a shame that most worship Lolth, but not all, some (albeit a tiny minority) actually worship Eilistraee the Dark Maiden (she's a goodly Goddess)

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112

Thanks for the info all really cleared things up as I havent looked at anything 4th ed related

As to the evil dark skinned race it doesn't really bother me as the drow, from how I imagined them from the writings, as black as in the hue of a black widow spider or a black mamba snake not as in our color hues as humans. 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Elikal

Yeah, pisses me off actually. From dark skinned Orc to dark skinned Drow... I hated that. The blond and fair are good and the dark skinned are evil. Not funny.

The dwarves (gnomes?) in the Underdark, I forget their name, are dark skinned but are good. I'm sure there's plenty more examples out there.

Some people ruin their fantasy by trying to bring real world issues into it... fantasy is fantasy, the same rules don't apply.... unless the writer is intentionally trying to represent real world issues in the story. I mean, come on, orcs are green and dark elves are blue/purple. You can't say dark skinned and mean every dark colour and shade when really you mean black... they aren't black.

If all black humans in the game/story were evil.. then, yeh, you've got something to complain about. These things aren't even meant to be the same species though....

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Elikal

The dwarves (gnomes?) in the Underdark, I forget their name, are dark skinned but are good. I'm sure there's plenty more examples out there.

Some people ruin their fantasy by trying to bring real world issues into it... fantasy is fantasy, the same rules don't apply.... unless the writer is intentionally trying to represent real world issues in the story. I mean, come on, orcs are green and dark elves are blue/purple. You can't say dark skinned and mean every dark colour and shade when really you mean black... they aren't black.

If all black humans in the game/story were evil.. then, yeh, you've got something to complain about. These things aren't even meant to be the same species though....

Svirfneblin - gnomes

Duergar - dwarves

• TeaurnTeaurn Member Posts: 3
    Even before RA Salvatore in the original FR boxed set the history of Shadowdale had dark elves ruling the area from the tower of Ashaba(?) which Elminster later took over after the good guys drove them out.
  • sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by Teaurn
    Even before RA Salvatore in the original FR boxed set the history of Shadowdale had dark elves ruling the area from the tower of Ashaba(?) which Elminster later took over after the good guys drove them out.

Never knew that my first forray into FR was the first couple Drizzt books as I was more into Dragonlance, thanks for the insight!