Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which laptop should I get?

2»

Comments

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

This is 11% weaker than the SLI 750m or the 775mx but it has a Blu-ray burner and is $400 cheaper than a 775MX equipped laptop. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152366

Don't start day dreaming though we started looking at $750 laptops now were looking at $1200+ beasts LMAOimage

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Never get two lower end cards in CrossFire or SLI.  It's far, far better to get a single higher end card.  And yes, the GeForce GT 750M is based on GK107, the lowest end GPU chip of the generation--from either AMD or Nvidia.

If you're looking to spend $1200 on a gaming laptop and prioritize better graphical performance, you can get an MSI GX60 for about that and get a top of the line Radeon HD 7970M.  It comes with an A10-4600M for the CPU, which isn't as fast as a Core i7-3630QM, but it's still a capable CPU.  And that's where MSI saved a lot of money to make it a $1200 laptop rather than a $1400 laptop with that video card.

But again, it's a question of what you're willing to spend.  On an $800 budget, it doesn't matter what's available for $1200.

Edit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152372

Radeon HD 7970M, Blu-Ray drive, 7200 RPM hard drive, matte 1080p monitor, Bigfoot Killer wireless (best WiFi for gaming, but like all WiFi, not nearly as good as simple 100 Mbps ethernet), and good build quality for $1100.

And they're likely looking to get rid of them, which is why it's not $1200 anymore, as Trinity is on the way out and Richland just around the corner.  That would mean basically the same CPU except with turbo up to 3.5 GHz rather than 3.2 GHz.

That is a good laptop also with both new consoles using AMD cards games should end up being better optimized for AMD cards this gen I know they could sure use some love way to much focus on Nvidia this past generation. The 7970M is a beast the only downside is some games are not well optimized for AMD cards at all the new Assasin's Creed 3 for example only gets 26fps on high when it should be getting close to 70fps simply because they chose to focus on Nvidia this is also true for a lot of MMOs so take a look at what games you play though all the benchmarks for games were taken earlier so the new Drivers may have fixed all these issues. Most games though should have no issue and should run beautifully even on Ultra settings.image

Also in regards to MMOs they are still playable for the most part at high fps on high settings you just might get a random weird dip down into the high teens and low 20s, still playable, due to poor optimization is all.

Originally posted by Gravarg

I went ahead and ordered the $869 one:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=457&Code=59371972&category_id=5B0116E237099FA0FCA012D9B20ED2FB

It's the same as the cheaper one, but has the SSD on it :)

The message I just typed was for nothing =P oh well nice choice you should be very happy with it. For that price it is a steal and you didn't break the bank.image

Oh also when you first get it you might have crappy performance optimus is a bit finnicky just go under your Nvidia control panel and set the games default graphics as the 750M and your good to go =D also with Lenovo the Processor does not overclock unless the battery settings are set to Lenovo Dynamic.
    Originally posted by Shauneepeak
    Oh also when you first get it you might have crappy performance optimus is a bit finnicky just go under your Nvidia control panel and set the games default graphics as the 750M and your good to go =D also with Lenovo the Processor does not overclock unless the battery settings are set to Lenovo Dynamic.

cool, thanks for the heads-up...why do companies always put thier own software on computers lol.  I usually uninstall all that stuff lol.  I had an HP, and in the process list, like half the programs running were HP messenger, HP wireless controller, HP this, HP that...it runs fine without that stuff...they didn't change it did they?  I can delete the Lenovo software right? :)

Edit: The only thing on my HP I kept was the one that let's you turn the volume up and down...for some reason if that's not running the volume up and down keys do nothing lol.

cool, thanks for the heads-up...why do companies always put thier own software on computers lol.  I usually uninstall all that stuff lol.  I had an HP, and in the process list, like half the programs running were HP messenger, HP wireless controller, HP this, HP that...it runs fine without that stuff...they didn't change it did they?  I can delete the Lenovo software right? :)

Luckily Lenovo is not nearly as bad think I deleted one thing careful though lots of the Programs sound like Bloatware but actually aren't when it comes to Lenovo, Hp is just Horrible!!! when it comes to bloatware, like Nitro Pro 7 is actually the lenovo pdf reader instead of adobe and costs like $110 so don't delete it lmfao. And the Lenovo youcam isn't just something for video messaging its your whole camera in general and without it it won't work. Think the Lenovo telephone is the only unneeded thing I still have it just displays you phone calls on your laptop if you have digital phone service.

Lmfao at your edit my friend was just complaining about that yesterday he says it keeps glitching up on him and doesn't understand why he needs some stupid beats audio program for his speakers to work.

Luckily Lenovo is not nearly as bad think I deleted one thing careful though lots of the Programs sound like Bloatware but actually aren't when it comes to Lenovo, Hp is just Horrible!!! when it comes to bloatware, like Nitro Pro 7 is actually the lenovo pdf reader instead of adobe and costs like $110 so don't delete it lmfao. And the Lenovo youcam isn't just something for video messaging its your whole camera in general and without it it won't work. Think the Lenovo telephone is the only unneeded thing I still have it just displays you phone calls on your laptop if you have digital phone service.

Lmfao at your edit my friend was just complaining about that yesterday he says it keeps glitching up on him and doesn't understand why he needs some stupid beats audio program for his speakers to work.

lol, yeah it's stupid, I deleted it when I first got it and was like...um how do i get sound lol.  I guess I won't delete anything...It sounds like Lenovo isn't bad about putting 20 different programs on your computer when Windows can do those things just as well lol (if not better) .

Also seeing as this is a brand new card go to the Nvidia website and download the latest or the one before the latest Beta drivers good chance is they will be better than the ones your computer will automatically download. You "might" get touchy performance for the first couple months, though seeing as this is really just a rebadged GTX 660m you shouldn't have any issues. Just download GPU-Z when you first get the laptop to make sure the Graphics card isn't faulty or anything that and the finicky optimus "should" be the only reasons for any potential poor performance you may have.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Edit: The only thing on my HP I kept was the one that let's you turn the volume up and down...for some reason if that's not running the volume up and down keys do nothing lol.

A lot of the bloatware that computers come with is because companies pay them to put a trial version on there in hopes of convincing you to buy the full version.

It's nice to have a clean install of the operating system, as it guarantees that you'll be rid of all of the bloatware.  I had a friend who tried to do this in order to use an SSD instead of a hard drive, but apparently Windows 8 makes it harder than it used to be.  He had to call Microsoft and get a new license key because the one that the laptop came with was locked down in the BIOS or some such, but they were very accommodating.

Just wanted to say thanks again to you guys.  I've been playing on this computer and it's amazing, especially for a laptop.  Worth every penny of the original price, and a steal with the $450 I got off on it :D  I'm getting 60 fps in everything I play (which is what it's currently limited at).
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Just wanted to say thanks again to you guys.  I've been playing on this computer and it's amazing, especially for a laptop.  Worth every penny of the original price, and a steal with the $450 I got off on it :D  I'm getting 60 fps in everything I play (which is what it's currently limited at).

Don't get too caught up in the supposed discount from a nominal price that they didn't expect anyone to pay.  I once saw a laptop for sale at 99% off of the claimed nominal price, and it still wasn't a good deal.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

None of the above.

No point getting a NVidia Discrete mobile graphics with less than a 5 next to the generation name.  Its just wasting power for the sake of wasting power.  The one you got from Lenovo is good.