Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game most similar to TSW?

doomingdooming Member Posts: 17

Considering trying out TSW, but not sure what to expect.     I'll probably watch a few more videos, but was wondering what game it's most similar to in terms of the basic world and how the game is designed.   Is it like Rift? SWTOR?  EQ?  WoW?  Aion?  AO?  

Mostly I like to know if it's on rails and primarily instanced. 

Thanks.

Comments

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Its really a diffferent type of beast IMO.  You should definately try it though.  If does make you think.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    For world setting or story or skill trees there really isn't anything like it out there. Gameplay wise it has Age Of Conan style playfeilds rather than a big open world though they are pretty big, if you are looking for something a bit different it's worth a look, though you may want to see if you can nab a free trial key from somebody before spending big on the box price.
  • maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83

Its skill system is a mix of Mabinogi and GW2.  It trys to get away saying there are no levels but the truth is its a hidden stat based on player's gear and skills.  Its not too instanced, but most of the missions take place in instances.  As far as on rails, no but each zone is geared for different level ranges.  So you wont be freely exploring as much as you will be finishing the quest from zone to zone to zone.

The world design and atmosphere is where the game really shines and really is the only mmo and game at this time for that matter that delves you into the various modern myths and conspiracies of this age. 

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    It really is in a class of its own, but it has similarities to SWTOR, both are story driven games
  • doomingdooming Member Posts: 17

Thanks.

I'll probably pick it up when it's on sale next.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

It has the best writing, quests and atmosphere of any MMO - no question.

However, in most other ways - it's average to weak.

But given that those things are so strong, it works as a really good singleplayer adventure/action/rpg hybrid.

I don't think the heavy narrative works too well in a multiplayer oriented game - because when questing together, there's a lot of waiting around if you want to catch the story.

So, I don't think it's a very good multiplayer game overall. Except, I have to say, for the fantastic dungeon instances.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Who ever compared this to GW2 is a weird one lol.

Now, the only other MMO I could compare this too, would be The Matrix Online, and that's shut down...

So it is rather unique.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by dooming

Thanks.

I'll probably pick it up when it's on sale next.

Current players can actually give you a trial buddy key. There's a sticky thread here you can ask for a key. I believe they are good for a three day trial so it'll give you a good feel for the game.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/356621/page/89

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334

Game most similar to TSW?

none i would say... its unique i rly liked it finished every single quest, shame endgame sux.... there is nothing to do ... just "few dungeons" and pvp :P

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Very good dungeons
    It's story driven, but not anything like as linear and closed in as swtor
    The dungeons are hard and good
    The pvp sucks (but no worse than other pve orientated games like wow or swtor)
    The crafting is poor
    They avoid the wow clone cliches while leveling by their interesting quest system and the need to swap your build around.
    Unfortunately end game is wow clone cliche of sat in agartha queueing for dungeons and people wanting cookie cutter builds.

Basicly its swtor done much better.
    As a pve game its also better than gw2, although its worse than gw2 at pvp and crafting.
    The combat is simmilar to gw2

But...
    You have less skills
    You can't swap your weapons to swap your skills.

But...
    You can swap your build around when the hell you like for more variety
    It doesn't have stupid downed state.
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by maddog15a

Its skill system is a mix of Mabinogi and GW2.  It trys to get away saying there are no levels but the truth is its a hidden stat based on player's gear and skills.  Its not too instanced, but most of the missions take place in instances.  As far as on rails, no but each zone is geared for different level ranges.  So you wont be freely exploring as much as you will be finishing the quest from zone to zone to zone.

The world design and atmosphere is where the game really shines and really is the only mmo and game at this time for that matter that delves you into the various modern myths and conspiracies of this age. 

I dont see the combination of skill system, which is similar to gw2. GW2 offers fixed skills for the few weapons you have in this game. while there you have 505 skills you can choose or something lol

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

The game is most similar to MxO.

The skill wheel (skill tree in MxO) allows you to be anything you'd like to be. You can unlock all the skills, but only have a limited amount equipped. The game also has a modern day setting, three factions and weapons (rifles, pistols, fists) which were similar to MxO. 

In terms of actual combat, it most resembles GW2.

City of heroes

But its closed
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Cutscenized, instanced & wtih strong single playe 'vibe'  like Swtor.

Limited (at one time) equippable amount of skills like in GW2.

Lore / theme - no comparision.

End-game - mostly  instanced dungeons and small RvR / battleground PVP. Preety standard modern themepark.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

it has only a few similarities to other MMO's

its a themepark,it has your standard instances,battle ground type pvp.Other than that, it is one of a kind.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by tank017

its a themepark,it has your standard instances,battle ground type pvp.Other than that, it is one of a kind.

And, ironically, there is a fun, family-friendly theme park in the 2nd map.   Be sure to bring the kids.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• MulliMulli Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Skooma2

And, ironically, there is a fun, family-friendly theme park in the 2nd map.   Be sure to bring the kids.

That's just cruel image

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

lol,best theme park Ive ever been to.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

lol,best theme park Ive ever been to.

Well they sure put themeparks back on the map again

but back to the orriginal question..

i dont think there are any mmos out there that you can compare this game with...  There are just to many great stories out her that you dont want to miss.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I'd say... GW2 would be the best way to describe its combat at least. A bit clunky and floaty feeling at times. Outside that though, it tends to be its own kind of beast. Can't really compare games exactly to it. While the combat isn't stunning, its entertaining enough and you might be more attached then me (Found it far to weak in GW2, though TSW the setting and all managed to hold my attention at least a little more).

Coh is the closest comparison

Both tsw and gw2 borrowed its state based combat / gameplay, although coh is tab target of course.

It takes place in modern times like coh

The player characters are basicly superpowered humans in tsw

Both games have an emphasis on rp and small scale pve

Both games have a complex and good character progression system

Both games have your clothing being statless and your gear bonuses coming from invisible upgrades

Both games aren't particularly quest hub driven and instead have quests dotted about the place

Both games have a flexible group composition where you don't need a dedicated tank and healbot, providing you have damage mitigation / crowd control / heals spread throughout your team

Both games have hidden lore items you collect through the world

Both games have outdoor zone bosses you can fight.

Both games are the only heavy pve mmos I've actually enjoyed playing (well early wow too)